Menu

Would you guys celebrate--update #58 :)

Barb_

Wow! That is awesome! I want to see!

I can't link the post, but her cover is on their instagram page.  Mia is the one in the middle with her head in her hands.

https://www.instagram.com/thelovemagazine/?hl=en

I'm so proud of her for going for it like this.  She is so shy and had terrible anxiety and self confidence issues and panic attacks last year.  She decided she was going to spend the year putting herself out there and doing things that scare her to try and overcome her worries.  She did it.  None of us had any idea she had it in her to do something like this.

Edited by Barb_
  • Like 41

I can't link the post, but her cover is on their instagram page.  Mia is the one in the middle with her head in her hands.

I'm so proud of her for going for it like this.  She is so shy and had terrible anxiety and self confidence issues and panic attacks last year.  She decided she was going to spend the year putting herself out there and doing things that scare her to try and overcome her worries.  She did it.  None of us had any idea she had it in her to do something like this.

Oh my word she is just beautiful.  And how brave of her to do that all on her own!!  You could knock me over with a feather if a kid of mine held a secret like that together!

She and your older daughter must have had an amazing time in Paris.  I'm so glad for all of you!

• Like 6

I can't link the post, but her cover is on their instagram page. Mia is the one in the middle with her head in her hands.

I'm so proud of her for going for it like this. She is so shy and had terrible anxiety and self confidence issues and panic attacks last year. She decided she was going to spend the year putting herself out there and doing things that scare her to try and overcome her worries. She did it. None of us had any idea she had it in her to do something like this.

What a courageous and beautiful young woman!
  • Like 1

Wow, she is brave and beautiful and I'm sure she will have an amazing career!

Thank you :) 

I'm hoping this is more of an extracurricular thing she does for college money.  She is only 5-2, so she'll be more of a petite niche model if anything, although she met a girl at the Paris shoot who is also just 5-2 and just did a runway show.  It seems like the definition of "beauty" is expanding to include lots of looks.  The contest winners we met in LA were all shapes, sizes, colors and styles and from all over the world.  Everyone was so kind, warm and welcoming.  I assumed people would be stuck up and would sort of ignore us, but they were all really nice!  Kendall treated Mia like she was her younger sister and gave her a lot of tips and guidance when she was shooting with her.  We met Kaia Gerber (Cindy Crawford's daughter) and she seemed shy but she and Mia talked for a little while in the makeup trailer.  She said she felt like Kaia was naturally pretty quiet and she made her feel comfortable.  We still keep in touch with a lot of the contest models we met out there. 

Katie Grand is the editor of the magazine.  She seems to like to find and mentor young talent.  She noticed one of the models filming on her phone the day we were there and asked to see her stuff.  She liked it so much she asked her to stay on for a couple of days and do some filming.  Then she asked her to go to London with them, and then she asked her to quit college and work for her full time.  Her name is Belle and she's only 19 years old.  What a Cinderella story :) 

Mia and Belle have become friends over text and social media and were happy to find out Belle would be doing some of the filming on the Paris trip.

I was a little worried about where this was all going because I remember how bad the modeling industry was back in the 80s and early 90s, but it's not like that at all anymore.  I've been pleasantly surprised so far.

• Like 7

Thanks, all!  I don't have Facebook, so I can't really do a share with all my old friends from back home.  Instead this is the place I think of when I've got news.  I've been holding back from sharing my excitement here since October, but we weren't allowed to post it anywhere until they they did. 

• Like 4

Yay!

I can't imagine overcoming my panic attacks. What an amazing accomplishment to put herself out there!

THIS is her big accomplishment, I think.  She started small, walking to the store to buy milk.  Then she started going for runs by herself.  Then walking through the city to the library and then to the YMCA to work out by herself.  By the end of the summer she was taking the train into the city with the 17yo to shop downtown Chicago for afternoons.  She was determined not to let it ruin her life because she really wants to move to Japan to teach English one day and she wanted to be able to do it without curling up into a ball.  She's a determined, determined young woman.

• Like 14

That is fantastic! You must be SO excited and proud and I'm sure Mia is bursting at the seams with nerves and joy too. What a huge jump!

Where's that party emoticon when you need it?!

That is fantastic! You must be SO excited and proud and I'm sure Mia is bursting at the seams with nerves and joy too. What a huge jump!

Where's that party emoticon when you need it?!

Heh, probably on your laptop where mine always is when I need it.

The morning of the election, my 15yo woke up crying--I thought she'd been upset by the news, but she cried, "I'm not upset because of the election right now, I'm crying because I have to go to Californiaaaaa!!!!"

I was so confused, but when she calmed down she explained that she had entered an Instagram contest.  She didn't tell me because she didn't want to stress me out what with the house stuff and the election and everything that had been happening, and she said she didn't think anything would come of it anyway, but she was wrong.  Love Magazine emailed her that morning with the news that she was one of the 20 finalists and was invited to fly to California for a photo shoot with Kendall Jenner.  

Our lives became seriously surreal after that.  At the shoot, Kendall's agent asked to represent Mia out of NYC.  Guys, she has already been working in Paris, and we just got word this morning that she got the magazine cover from the contest.  My head is spinning.  We're trying to keep perspective and take this a month at a time but it's moving faster than I thought it would.  This is nuts.  

What?? Wow! 

Would love to see it!  Congratulations!!!

What?? Wow!

Would love to see it! Congratulations!!!

Thanks! I thought the photo I linked was the cover but apparently it was an outtake? I didn't notice. So I guess I'll post the magazine cover the first week of Feb when it comes out. I'd never heard of this magazine before all of this, so I didn't know it was a big deal until we got to LA in November.

• Like 1

THIS is her big accomplishment, I think. She started small, walking to the store to buy milk. Then she started going for runs by herself. Then walking through the city to the library and then to the YMCA to work out by herself. By the end of the summer she was taking the train into the city with the 17yo to shop downtown Chicago for afternoons. She was determined not to let it ruin her life because she really wants to move to Japan to teach English one day and she wanted to be able to do it without curling up into a ball. She's a determined, determined young woman.

That's inspiring, good for her! Congratulations, Mia!
  • Like 1