Menu

Anyone taking all of next week off?

SparklyUnicorn

We are except music practice, because of upcoming holiday performances. We have family in town, and Thanksgiving is in a week and I still have no menu or shopping list done, let alone grocery shopping or pre-cooking.

Thankfully I only make the pies. If I had to cook a bigger part of the meal, I would definitely take time off.

• Like 1

Thankfully I only make the pies. If I had to cook a bigger part of the meal, I would definitely take time off.

I'm doing all the cooking for 17 people, plus I make enough to send home with guests and still have leftovers. Usually my mom helps but she hurt her leg and the doctor told her to stay off it. I think she can help with chopping while sitting at the table, but that's about it.

I'm making one dessert, but I'm going to buy the pie. I bow down to anyone who makes a good pie!

• Like 1

I'm doing all the cooking for 17 people, plus I make enough to send home with guests and still have leftovers. Usually my mom helps but she hurt her leg and the doctor told her to stay off it. I think she can help with chopping while sitting at the table, but that's about it.

I'm making one dessert, but I'm going to buy the pie. I bow down to anyone who makes a good pie!

I can't fathom cooking for 17! You have some mad cooking skills!

• Like 1

We're not taking any time off next week. I needed another full week before Christmas break. This week wasn't a full week because of the AMC8 and my son's class in DC. The week after Thanksgiving is my son's birthday and we'll spend three Wed - Fri in NYC. They understood.

• Like 1

We are! Actually we are on break officially as of right now. Fridays are reserved for fun extras so tomorrow we'll probably do a Thanksgiving craft then clean house, grocery shop, get haircuts and head to a swim meet for my oldest.

Edited by UCF612
  • Like 1

Yep. We always take the whole of Thanksgiving week. We will be doing some cleaning, probably will start the Christmas decorating, and I will still read daily with ds. He's making good progress, and I don't want to derail.

We started early this year (even though we technically school year-round) because we were moving, but we managed to keep on track, so we're getting a full three weeks off for Christmas! We usually take two, but I built in an extra week for catch-up. With any luck, we won't need it!

• Like 1

We are off starting tomorrow afternoon! We still have piano lessons, and we will catch up on some read-alouds, but no formal schooling is scheduled. Even better, DH has only one work meeting on Monday and he'll be off as well! AND we don't have anyone coming for Thanksgiving! For the first time ever, we will have Thanksgiving with just our little family. We are all looking forward to it!

• Like 1

We'll take off Thursday and Friday. I've stream-lined the subjects a bit because I'm sure there will be distractions. I want to take a longer spring break so I'm stockpiling days a bit. Friday I'm planning an educational field trip to a nearby archaeological site (but not counting it as school. Presumably there won't be any school groups.

We don't live near any family, so that isn't an issue.

• Like 1

We *might* do a little school work on Monday, but if we do it will very little. I can tell my kids are in a need of a break because they've been resisting school work the past few days. I will use the time off to clean and hopefully get some Christmas shopping done.

Edited by MyLife
  • Like 1

We're taking off for home school. Older two are in public school full time and youngest has 3 afternoon classes there and there is public school Mon and Tues. I plan to do a lot of food planning, prep, and baking! We've been doing this for many years and it's a great time for a break.

• Like 1

We kind of had all of last week off because of art classes, appointments, play dates, the election, etc. I figure we will do a light school schedule with reading, math, and piano and call it good.

We are, and do every year.  I was considering not taking the whole week this year because two of the kids have been sick and we could use the makeup time, but I decided it would be nice to just take a planned break and start fresh the week afterward.  DH is on call on Thanksgiving but is taking Friday off so we will spend time together as a family decorating the house.

Umm. Yeah.

We've really been "off" since mid-October. Between Halloween and harvest activities, Thanksgiving, and Christmas coming up, and all of the activities involved with those holidays, I'm really starting to see the advantage of a January through September school year :P Our summers are too hot to be outdoors much, so doing school through the summer is actually easier.

• Like 1

My oldest doesn't have his WTMA classes, so he won't have any work there, but I do plan on still having him do math and daily piano practice next week, and we'll probably enjoy some family time listening to a couple of audiobooks. My youngest will probably do math and piano as well, and she reads a lot in her free time anyhow. We've had too many light weeks lately to not doing anything at all- we've had lots of appointments, we've been soaking up the good weather, lots of playdates and social time... 

Yes, but it's considerably easier when one is empty nesting.   :coolgleamA:

I'm taking the time off work too (school is only open Monday anyway, then off until the following Tuesday).  Hubby will likely keep working some - perhaps half days some of the days.

We'll be with my side of the family for Thanksgiving (at a restaurant).  I believe I heard 18 are showing up.

College boys have classes through Tues or Wed (not sure which).  Middle son will join us for Thanksgiving and the rest of the weekend.  Youngest will be with friends in FL.  Oldest will be heading to his in-laws.

Sort of. When I planned this first semester I planned it as a catch up week and a Thanksgiving mini unit week. I babysit a niece on her school weeks, and I can't believe it, but her school has the whole week off.

So on Monday we will go to a Science Museum in the morning. In the afternoon while toddler naps I have some Thanksgiving reading to do from a mini unit study that I do some years. It has picture study, copywork, and read alouds. Then I have an art project planned. We have been collecting leaves on our nature hikes lately. We will do leaf pictures. Odd has an art badge she is working on for scouts, so if she wants, she could do one of her collages for that while the rest of us do leaves, or she could do both.

I still have to do Vision Therapy/OT excercises w/dd12 daily, so that is "school."

And both are behind where they need to be in Latin, so in the evenings they will need to do some of that.

On Tues:

They will do Latin, Thanksgiving read alouds and finish up Gilgamesh because it is overdue from the library :), more art, and we will do some Thanksgiving Baking and Therapy.

On Wed: We have our weekly Vision Therapy/OT appointment, so I will assign dd14 some work that morning while we do that. Then we go to Grandma's.

I really want them each reading some on their own each evening, but it's getting harder to enforce during the busy holiday time and with all of the outside commitments they have to prep for at night (packing for scout camps, scout badges, co-op homework, etc.)

So no math or daily assignments.

• Like 1

We took a big fall break so we've not been at it that long since our last break so we are working Mon & Tues.

Same here! We took one great big planned Fall Break Week with lots of educational activities that I had planned, but the next week, co-op had an emergency and canceled one day, so they got a break from their work from there. And we ended up taking two extra days off that week unplanned. So we are doing the above planned work on Mon-Wed.

We are taking the week off from school. My husband will take the boys (7, 4 & 2) to school with him on Wednesday (it's tradition that the HS teachers take their kids to school with them that day - they all go to the pep rally and it is only a half day). I am going to use next week to try to start a morning symposium time (30-45 min), and then continue it when we pick school back up the week after. We may go to the aquarium and/or the museum of science Monday/Tuesday, since they should be pretty quiet those days.

We sort of are.  Sort of because some stuff we can't take off from.  I'm already in "not doing much goofing off" mode.  I need a break!!

Amen!  We are mostly, after Monday.  And not so much to prepare for Thanksgiving (not cooking it), as to just re-claim the house and some semblance of organization.   :svengo:

We are! This is why we start our year so early (July). Our weather has just gotten to the point where it is gorgeous and I have a gazillion Christmas presents to finish before we go see my family in a few weeks. For me, next week is a week of crafting and Gilmore Girls with the windows open!!!! And good food.