Menu

Classic, simple girl names?

ktgrok

Emily Rose is nice. I've never heard of the movie. But I still think Emily is too close to Molly. Emily can very easily sound like Em-Molly. Not when you say it normally, but if you kind of sing-song it (like if I'm reminding my dd that she needs to do the dishes: "Emm-Muh-lee don't forge'et". Try it a few times slow and you may see what I mean.

Maybe I'm crazy... our oldest is named Hannah and we considered Emma instead of Emily, but we decided the sound too similar when yelled.

You know, Emma and Molly don't have the same problem! Emma Rose is nice. Or name her Emily and call her Emma.

I think Lucy is such a sweet name and it would work well with your other children's names.

I love Lucy, but dh doesn't. 

I think I'm very much partial to the Y names.....My sister is Kelly, I'm Katie, my nieces both have Y ending names, and of course Molly does. 

Hmm...

Oh, and for whomever suggested Emma, I love it, but it's #1 in popularity, and that's too popular for me. 

Question...Emily Rose sounded familiar, and when i googled I found the movie "The Exorcism of Emily Rose". Would that sway you away from the name? I don't think it was that popular, and it was a decade ago (and in the actual even the girl isn't named that).

It would not sway me away from it. I'd never heard of the movie. It's not like Leia or Arwen or some other more unusual name that people would definitely associate with a particular very popular movie (or book). They're both two classic, lovely names that just happen to be the name of that movie.

It would not sway me away from it. I'd never heard of the movie. It's not like Leia or Arwen or some other more unusual name that people would definitely associate with a particular very popular movie (or book). They're both two classic, lovely names that just happen to be the name of that movie.

Thanks, I'm thinking the same. And honestly, if the movie is a decade old now, by the time she was old enough to have friends commenting on her name, it would be ancient history. Like you said, it's not a well known movie. I think i caught it on tv once or something, and as I was fascinated with the Catholic church at the time, watched part of it. 

good idea, I'll look!

Seraphima Rose

Emilia Rose

Natalia Rose

Juliana Rose

Camille Rose

Margaret Rose

Abigail Rose

Joanna Rose

Susanna Rose

Priscilla Rose

I'm just full of ideas!!! Lol

I would go with something from Austen. Do you have a favorite? If I had a baby right now he/she would be a Persuasion baby.

Not an Austen fan, sadly enough. I tried to read Pride and Prejudice five times and couldn't get into it. Never tried another. 

Love the book Jane Eyre, so tried to get Jane in there but I seem to remember he didn't like it? I'll try again. 

I have a Sarah.  Easy to spell.  Easy to yell from the other side of the house...   :tongue_smilie:

My two biggest concerns, lol! Seriously. I imagine yelling for the child, and try to figure out if they are hard to spell. And if they will know 5 other kids named that. I have trauma from being Katie L. all through school, because there was always another Katie. 

SaveSave

My first thought for you was Caroline. I also like Anna (or longer names with Anne/Anna like Susannah).

Like someone else said, I'd avoid Emily with Molly, but it's not the worst thing ever if you go with it. Emmeline? It seems like that might be too frilly for your taste, though. (Huh - looking around at behindthename.com, I've learned my something new for today: Emily, Emma, and Emmeline have three separate origins and are unrelated to each other.)

Question...Emily Rose sounded familiar, and when i googled I found the movie "The Exorcism of Emily Rose". Would that sway you away from the name? I don't think it was that popular, and it was a decade ago (and in the actual even the girl isn't named that).

When I was pregnant for the first time, Emily Rose was my first choice until I found out that Emily was the number one girl's name and Rose was the number one middle name at the time ... but that was almost 20 years ago so things have probably changed in the popularity order ;) but that combo is certainly been popular enough in recent memory that some movie no one's ever heard of is not going to be an association you have to worry about. :)

So, talked to him this morning while he tried to make his breakfast, and Rosemary Grace and Emily Rose are his two favorites right now. Or, as he said, "the best you've come up with so far."  

He did think I'd try to turn Rosemary into Mary for short but I promised I wouldn't. We could call her Rose when we are being sweet, and Rosemary Grace when she's in trouble :)

• Like 1

So, talked to him this morning while he tried to make his breakfast, and Rosemary Grace and Emily Rose are his two favorites right now. Or, as he said, "the best you've come up with so far."  

He did think I'd try to turn Rosemary into Mary for short but I promised I wouldn't. We could call her Rose when we are being sweet, and Rosemary Grace when she's in trouble :)

I hadn't seen this when you posted... but we have a Mary who goes by Molly, I'm Emily, and we have an Elizabeth Grace. Same name cloud...

:-)

Emily

• Like 1

Oh...I might have hit pay dirt!

We both really like Rose, but the middle name is the issue. Plus, I kind of wanted a nod to my mom in this. I mentioned Rose Everest. Everest is a family name...my mom's grandmother, whom she was very close to, was Ruth Everest. He's interested! I'd love that. 

• Like 4

Since my husband and I have stalled out on a middle name for Rose, it's time to think of other first names. My hormonal self wants a name for this baby! I recognize we have plenty of time and I'm being unreasonable. Whatever. If this is my one unreasonable pregnancy thing, so be it :)

Anyway, other kids' names are: 

Michael  

Molly

Jack

So we like simple, classic names. Timeless, hopefully. Nothing in the top 10 (Michael might be actually..he was named after his grandfathers). 

Any thoughts? I tend to like Anne, Elizabeth, etc. but DH dislikes those. He has also ruled out Catherine/Katherine, Kathleen, etc. Already taken in the close family are Kimberly, Kaley, Riley, Noel, and Mackenzie. Oh, and James is one son's middle name, so Jamie doesn't work. 

Any thoughts? 

Amanda, Amelia, Christina/Christine, Cordelia, Cora, Clara, Emily, Emma, Eileen, Fiona, Gretchen, Hillary, Isabel, Jessica, Joy, Julia, Laura, Lily, Margaret (can be shortened to "Meg"), Mary, Olivia, Penelope, Quinn, Rebecca, Susannah, Theresa, Victoria, Zoe.  

I have a Sarah.  Easy to spell.  Easy to yell from the other side of the house...   :tongue_smilie:

That's me. The only spelling question I ever get is "With or without a H?"

As for popularity -- I didn't run into a single other Sarah growing up.Now, all grown up... I keep running into them!

My SIL shares my name -- first, middle and last (now that I am married). Same spelling

In 1st grade, my son had his teacher AND his afterschool leader named Sara(h)

And I've got many adult friends my age who go by Sara(h)

Edited by vonfirmath

Oh...I might have hit pay dirt!

We both really like Rose, but the middle name is the issue. Plus, I kind of wanted a nod to my mom in this. I mentioned Rose Everest. Everest is a family name...my mom's grandmother, whom she was very close to, was Ruth Everest. He's interested! I'd love that. 

I like Rosemary. Gets you the Rose you really want. And family names are good.

My son's middle name is a similar middle name. Doesn't "Scan" well but has lots of meaning.

Do you play around with Nameberry.com to see what name matches they give for the names you like?

You can type in a name or several names and it will pull up names that "match" them.

I spend a ridiculous amount of time on that site... Still have no name for ours yet either though.

Do you play around with Nameberry.com to see what name matches they give for the names you like?

You can type in a name or several names and it will pull up names that "match" them.

I spend a ridiculous amount of time on that site... Still have no name for ours yet either though.

Last time, Nymbler took my kids' timeless, classic names, one Latin, one Greek, two Hebrew, and thought Dexter was a good match. Now, since the boys' names are also names of Presidents, I wasn't surprised to get Abraham, Calvin, John, and even Franklin as suggestions. But Dexter? I thought that was way off.

LOVE Rosemary Grace. I like Clara Grace too.

Last time, Nymbler took my kids' timeless, classic names, one Latin, one Greek, two Hebrew, and thought Dexter was a good match. Now, since the boys' names are also names of Presidents, I wasn't surprised to get Abraham, Calvin, John, and even Franklin as suggestions. But Dexter? I thought that was way off.

It sounds right to me - it's Latin but I think used as a name mostly in the US, so it has sort of an 18th century vibe to me, whether that's accurate or not.