Menu

Curious: does/did your 9yo know how to use a squatter?

SKL

So we're in Kiev touring, and yesterday my kids wanted to go to the restroom during a rather drawn-out explanation of the history of a cathedral.  After trying (unsuccessfully) to convince them they could wait, the guide insisted that she take the kids to the toilet while we adults continued looking at the cathedral decorations.  I did not know the toilets were squatters.  My kids have never used those.  We've traveled far and wide, but so far we've always found modern-ish toilets.  So my kids had to figure this out yesterday without a mom's guidance, and it was ... interesting.  The guide was shocked that they had never been taught to use a squatter.

So ... are my kids ridiculously sheltered?  Spoiled?  Ignorant?

FTR I never used a squatter until I was in my 30s.  I had heard of them before that, but probably not by 9yo.

Do you mean the hole in the ground kind of squatter?  Or the no seat/low bowl toliet?  Just curious!

My 12 year old has not been overseas yet, so she'd have no clue.  My 15 year and I just got back from overseas and had some interesting toliet experiences so he's more saavy.  LOL. 

I never experienced either variety until high school.  I don't know why a kid would know about that if they were always in places with western toilets.  LOL.  Can you imagine having a visitor from Asia and berating them for not being saavy with western toliets?  Weird.

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 4

If they are, than so am I. I have a dim memory of encountering that kind of toilet, but I can't remember where I was, maybe the Middle East when I was 20? It was just the one time. My kids have definitely not encountered them, but they aren't widely travelled.

My kids have been in Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, India, Morocco, Portugal, Spain, Italy, France, and lots of other countries.  So far Ukraine was the first place where tourist spots (that they went to) didn't have Western toilets.

Earlier in the week we encountered one with just an actual hole in the ground, but it was so filthy that we all decided to hold it until we found something better.  OK, that was in a rural area so they get a pass.  But in the capital city of the largest European country?  Apparently all the public toilets here are squatters.  Fine, but I didn't expect that.

Edited by SKL

Neither of my kids have ever used one. I've never encountered one either. I'm sure there are plenty of things normal to you or me that the tour guide has never encountered. I hope she wasn't rude about it!

Edited by UCF612
  • Like 1

FWIW, the first class in my graduate school "teaching social studies in the elementary and middle school" included a slide show of toilets around the world. I think the idea was that it was something kids would find fascinating and could be used as a hook. I have to say that the professor's actual point was lost in my mind as I tried to figure out if I could manage each without falling over...

• Like 3

FWIW, the first class in my graduate school "teaching social studies in the elementary and middle school" included a slide show of toilets around the world. I think the idea was that it was something kids would find fascinating and could be used as a hook. I have to say that the professor's actual point was lost in my mind as I tried to figure out if I could manage each without falling over...

I might have had a teacher who saw that slide show because I remember seeing toilets around the world in middle school social studies. Not that you are nearly old enough to have taught me middle school, you probably weren't even born when I was in middle school. :)

But no, my kids wouldn't have seen one before. I think they could all figure them out, though.

They aren't exactly rocket science. They are also no less "modern" than Western style seat toilets.

But my kids have never used one. I have, in Japan. I frankly preferred them for public toilets--you don't have to touch anything!

• Like 1

No, and I have no desire for her to learn any time soon. I have no desire for ME to learn, ever. When I traveled a lot, I always took along disposable pee funnels. Great invention, no squatting required. 

If your children are sheltered, spoiled, and ignorant, so am I.  :)

Hope you enjoy your trip, SKL!

It is the tour guide who was sheltered, not realizing that there are parts of the world where those types of toilets don't exist. It would be like traveling in Asia and a local being shocked that a 9 year old didn't know how to use chopsticks. It has nothing to do with age, and everything to do with exposure.

I had never seen or heard of such toilets until I stayed at a campground in France when I was 16. There were Western toilets as well, so I just didn't use the squat one.

It wasn't until I was married and visited my in-laws overseas that my dh had to show me how to use the squat toilet. I never mastered using them without removing my undergarments and pants. I avoid them whenever possible.

It is the tour guide who was sheltered, not realizing that there are parts of the world where those types of toilets don't exist. It would be like traveling in Asia and a local being shocked that a 9 year old didn't know how to use chopsticks. It has nothing to do with age, and everything to do with exposure.

I had never seen or heard of such toilets until I stayed at a campground in France when I was 16. There were Western toilets as well, so I just didn't use the squat one.

It wasn't until I was married and visited my in-laws overseas that my dh had to show me how to use the squat toilet. I never mastered using them without removing my undergarments and pants. I avoid them whenever possible.

I had no idea.....the things I learn on here. I would never master them either! Between arthritic knees and lack of coordination I would either fall into it or end up with peepee pants. I think I will just stay here and complain about low flow plumbing devices.

Judging from the condition of every squatty potty I've seen this week, the challenge of getting into the right position and not "missing" is not an uncommon problem.  (Not saying I have that problem - I don't, so far - but as people get older, it gets hard to get into position, let alone hang there long enough to poo and clean up - and get back up again without touching anything.)  And that means they aren't necessarily so sanitary.

Some years ago I attended a wedding in India where they had squatty potties.  I wondered how the elderly guests managed.  The usual outfit involved drawers that fit snugly around the ankles, so they weren't coming off unless you took off your shoes, and then there was no place to hang your clothes ... I guess you just hold it until you go home, if you can ... maybe don't drink anything all night ... I don't know.

When my parents first had a Western toilet put in, right after WWII in Japan, the workers did not know what they were.  They stood on the seat and tried peeing from way up in the air.  They thought that foreigners were the strangest beings ever for doing it that way!  My parents had to show them how they really were used. 

• Like 3

What is surprising to me is how the guide is calling you clueless while being so clueless herself.  If you were helping a visitor in the US and they were unfamiliar with a regular toilet, would you tell them you were shocked?  Rather dumb.  You'd just say oh well..and get on with your day.  What's there to be shocked about?!

• Like 2

Whilst I can't imagine that a child growing up in the US but relatively well-traveled (as is mine) would imediatively intuit the use of a squatter, this post has inspired a mini-unit for summer:)

Only in the world of home-schoolers: The places we Poo, Global Edition!

Edited by Kerileanne99
  • Like 5

I'd heard of them but never seen one. Kids had never heard of one. One kid held it six hours rather than use one while we were in rural India. I can't imagine how anyone would think they are more sanitary. The ones we encountered (except in the malls) were covered in excrement, the water cup for washing (no toilet paper and no sprayer in many locations) was nasty, and most people splatter somewhat so what happens to their feet! And what about older people with knee problems or balance issues? I am still recovering emotionally from the squatty potties two years later, and I am not a germaphobe, but blech!!!

There were signs in the mall restrooms in India with pictures of how to use the western toilets so that people did not squat on them, fall, and get injured.

• Like 2

Sort of... one of my boys likes to squat to um... Well, we have a "squatty potty" thing to facilitate that. But I don't think any of the countries we've been to have exposed them to indoor plumbing squat toilets. I have a lot of familiarity with them from when I lived in China. I always thought the ones that were like long thin trenches with constantly flushing water and little partitions were the most efficient design. But the school where I worked had rows and rows of little flush ones on the ground.

My kids at age 9 had heard of those kinds of toilets but had never had to use them. During our last Christmas trip to Sri Lanka via Japan and Singapore they tried to avoid them if possible. The older one had to use one and was fine. I have had to use them roadside in France, I found them difficult to use because the pan is so large and I find them slippery. I also had to use a hole in the ground in Sr Lanka once and that was easier and very clean.

Edited by Mabelen

I never encountered one until I was in my twenties and went to France. The learning curve is not steep. You see it, go "ummmm . . . Okaaaay" then drop trou, squat, and go. Surely, most kids have had the occasion to squat in the woods. No? Just me? Really? Digging a cat hole isn't a common childhood experience?

The tour guide was a little goofy to act shocked. Either she hasn't been a guide for too long, or she felt she had to get a dig in.

The older one, who travelled with us to Asia, does. The younger doesn't but I'm sure she would be fine with it. Stuff like that doesn't faze her and we have our kids do things in the squatting position every day so they keep that flexibility to squat flat-footed. It's easy to lose, esp if your ankles get tight. (Ask me how I know.)

Well, my kids find them fascinating and super funny, so it's not that we're traumatized or anything.  I just thought it was probably normal for a 9yo in a Western country to be unfamiliar with squatters.

Yes, I think the guide wanted to get a dig in.  She was kind of unpleasant in general.

No. You pull them down and grab the fabric, pulling it forward and out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just trying to imagine squatting down like that (no problem), but then it's the getting back up thing I'd worry about.  LOL  I imagine one gets used to that and builds up the necessary muscle strength, but squatting down in that way isn't something I do all that often!

Mine grew up in China, so it was common for them.  There were sometimes Western style toilets available, but usually marked for disabled use.

I squat down fully and stand up from a squat without using my hands as a regular part of my attempt to stay fit into old age (strength and balance).

Edited by Laura Corin