Menu

If you are within 3 years (either side) of 50, how do you wear your hair? UPDATE

Ali in OR

Hitting the big milestone soon and contemplating cutting my hair a bit shorter than it's current mid-back length. It's too thin and my basic pony tail looks a bit limp and scraggily. Not going to go too short (still want a pony tail--I think a shorter tail will look cuter), but trying to figure out what it should look like when it's down. Maybe some hairdos are kinder to the aging face/body?

UPDATE: Went in this week and got 4-5" cut off the length of my hair--mid back to now at the top of my back. Kept the basic style the same--shorter near my face (just under chin) tapering to the shoulder length hair. Love it! So much happier with some of that length cut off. No one in my family noticed without being told, so not a drastic change.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 3

I'm growing out a pixie for the second time.

I love, love a very short pixie. But, alas, my husband hates it, & I cannot fit in time to get it cut every month, so I'm growing it out, likely just to a stacked bob.

I used to always have long straight hippie hair, but putting it up in a bun every day gives me a headache.

• Like 1

A Dorothy Hamill-ish wedge/bob type style that I've had for years.  I get compliments on it all the time.  And that's not an exaggeration -- people stop me in stores and walk up to my table in restaurants to ask about my haircut.  I'm very fortunate to have found the perfect style for my hair, and I'm sticking with it!

• Like 9

http://beauty.about.com/od/celebrityhairstyles/ss/Medium-Length-Hairstyles-for-Women-Over-50.htm#step3

I love this look. Long layers. Her hair doesn't look too think or too thin...so would work for lots of middle types of hair I think.

I really like this one. Classy yet you could easily pull it back in a clip. Dh and I have an overnight date for Valentine's weekend, and I need to do something with this mop of hair. I think I'll take this picture.

• Like 2

Mine is so thin that people stopped telling me I should cut it and just assume that I already did.

I wear it in a bun that stays put with a single hair band most days or in a Gibson Tuck:

http://www.prettydesigns.com/hair-tutorials-gibson-tuck-hair-tutorials/

when I want to look nice. It also looks nice and tidy in a French Twist, which was sloppy and impractical when I had enough hair for the styles that look nice on younger women.

ETA: if I put all of my hair into a single braid, it is about as thick as one of my 8yo's sixteen cornrows, lol.

VaKim, I decided to go with "older gentleman" or "baby boomer" to describe my 60yo Babydaddy, but I personally like the way you wear your hair and wish I had enough left to do the same. :)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

http://beauty.about.com/od/celebrityhairstyles/ss/Medium-Length-Hairstyles-for-Women-Over-50.htm#step3

I love this look. Long layers. Her hair doesn't look too think or too thin...so would work for lots of middle types of hair I think.

Thanks for the link--very helpful! My hair has long layers now and one of my main questions was whether or not to keep layers of some sort--looks like the answer is yes. I just go to a cheap no-appointment kind of place to get my hair cut and they do a good job as long as I give pretty specific instructions. Will look through the pics carefully and see if I can find a good cut to copy.

• Like 1

A Dorothy Hamill-ish wedge/bob type style that I've had for years.  I get compliments on it all the time.  And that's not an exaggeration -- people stop me in stores and walk up to my table in restaurants to ask about my haircut.  I'm very fortunate to have found the perfect style for my hair, and I'm sticking with it!

I had this cut in my youth (as did my whole ice rink--I was a skater).

• Like 3

And this one as long as it is long enough for a pony tail. That is my number one requirement.

http://beauty.about.com/od/celebrityhairstyles/ss/Medium-Length-Hairstyles-for-Women-Over-50.htm#step14

Mine kind of looks like this from the front but I have full straight bangs and a center part.  The rest of my hair is in long layers (cut using the ponytail method all over Pinterest).  It's very very thick and wavy so short cuts make it look too full and frizzed out.  I need the weight to keep it semi-controlled.   It's about mid-back at it's longest point dry, hits my waist when wet.  

I wear it in a low ponytail when it's wet and then pull it out when dry.  I can't wear it in any real "up" hairdo because the weight will give me a headache. 

I think I successfully added a semi-recent picture.

post-15452-0-98799200-1454696754_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Why does age 50 become a factor for hair style? Is it some magic number? Will you change your style drastically every new decade? If so, maybe do it with themes. ;)

I think since the milestone is coming up anyway, I was struck by my youngest's comment that my hair is thinner than hers (she always had very thin hair but it's thickened up in the last few years), and that my ponytail is small and skimpy. I was thinking that this is a change--that my hair used to have a little more body. The website Scarlett linked above actually says that our hair loses body as we age, so maybe it's true. The comments just got me thinking that there may be a better cut for me and now may be the time for a change.

• Like 1

I have a bob (just below chin, no fringe) but am thinking about a Jamie Lee Curtis or a Judi Dench cut.

If I could get away with it, I would in a heartbeat. Those styles mean regular trips to the stylist, and I hate going to the beauty as much as I hate shopping.

• Like 1

My hair is shoulder length. I usually grow it until it's a few inches below and then cut it above the shoulder below the chin.

Often it's in a ponytail.

When it's not in a ponytail, I'll wear it side parted. The front is pulled back in one of three ways:

Headband

The front on both sides pulled back and secured in a small ponytail over the loose hair in back

Front sections on both sides pulled back and secured.

Often at the end of the day my hair will be in a ponytail because I don't like feeling of loose hair.

• Like 1

I'm 46 1/2. ;)

I wear mine in a stacked bob right around my jawline. It's the most flattering cut for me. I wish I could wear it around shoulder length but it just doesn't look good. :/

It's still close to what it is in my avatar photo...just a little bit shorter than that. That was taken just after my 45th birthday.

Edited by CAMom
  • Like 1

Depending on how long it's been since my last professional haircut, my hair is anywhere between shoulder length and mid-back.  The front is cut about eyebrow length and is theoretically "feathered back" (do they still call it that?) but in reality just hangs like bangs. :P  I part in the middle.  My hair is naturally somewhat wavy.  But yeah, it is thinning as I get older, and looks scraggly if I go too long between haircuts.  (Which I usually do.)

• Like 1

My hair has yo-yo'd many times over the years. a couple years I finally decided - short hair is a huge hassle. (it was chin length).  it has to be cut every month, and styled every day to look good.  (unless it is super short - which I hate.)  I've also decided it's elegant to wear long gray hair up in a french twist or chignon.  (even if mine is on the messy side.  thank you frizzy gray hair . . ..)

It is now long (into my shoulder blades) and I plan on at least another year before the trims are for maintaining length as opposed to evening ends.

I usually wear it up (there are sites online that give good suggestions for something different, or useful comb/picks for holding it up), or in a french braid. I will do a french twist with a comb if I want something dressier. (or a half -up if I want to show off my hair. . . . ) i loath hair in my face.   I sleep in a french braid or a "half-up".

eta: my hair grows on the fast side (my stylist frequently expresses her disbelief with how fast it grows) 

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

Mine is right about shoulder length. I has long layers but no bangs or layers around the face. 

My big request to the hairdresser is always that I have to be able to read a book while drying my hair. I can't have a style that requires anything in the way of actual styling because I just won't do it. 

• Like 3

I love this hairstyle, too, but I have one strong opinion about hairstyles - bangs are great on many women over 40. I think a lot of women do not realize how much more youthful they would look with bangs. Foreheads are rarely our best feature as we age.

I like to picture women who fon't have bangs woth them and - yup. It is usually better looking. :)

• Like 2

I'm 50. Mine is just below my shoulders, I get it cut to just about at them, then let it grow.  My hair has gotten straighter as I've gotten older - it's always been thin, but when it was wavy, it disguised how thin it was.  I have one long layer (not enough hair to make more layers), and it's angled a bit in the front.  Not stunning, but not sure what else to do with it.  It grows veeery slowly, so I'm hesitant to do anything drastic, because it would take years to undo if I didn't like it!

• Like 1

I love this hairstyle, too, but I have one strong opinion about hairstyles - bangs are great on many women over 40. I think a lot of women do not realize how much more youthful they would look with bangs. Foreheads are rarely our best feature as we age.

I like to picture women who fon't have bangs woth them and - yup. It is usually better looking. :)

I have had bangs forever, but am currently letting them grow out. I will probably have them again, but want to see how it looks. My forehead actually looks very good. Now, if I could figure out a way to cover my mouth and chin, other than growing a beard, I'd look about 15 years younger. Seriously, lol. That is where all my saggy-ness and wrinkles are.

• Like 3

Why does age 50 become a factor for hair style? Is it some magic number? Will you change your style drastically every new decade? If so, maybe do it with themes. ;)

I understand what she's asking. Christie Brinkley can do long, blonde hair (for a pretty penny), but most can't pull it off (or afford it).

At the same time, if a woman over 50 wants to have fun w/ the aging hippie look -- I say go for it.

Alley

• Like 2

This long bob is what I think looks great!

That's probably the same cut I have, but I only have about half the amount of hair, so it doesn't look quite the same. :(

On the positive side, I'm only just starting to get a few gray strands...  they're starting to come in a bit faster than I can pluck them now...

Edited by Matryoshka

I will be 53 in June. I have long hair, almost mid-back, and it's curly with no grey. I wear it parted on the side. The back is one length, shorter on top and gradually lengthening to meet the long layer. It's really low maintenance and easy to put up as well. This is it almost exactly:  http://www.hair-styles-secrets-revealed.com/hair/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/hairstyle-for-curly-hair.jpg

I don't hold with the idea that you can't have long hair when older either. 

Edited by Peach2
  • Like 2

I understand what she's asking. Christie Brinkley can do long, blonde hair (for a pretty penny), but most can't pull it off (or afford it).

At the same time, if a woman over 50 wants to have fun w/ the aging hippie look -- I say go for it.

Alley

I ask because people's hair colour/thickness/what have you changes in a huge time range. Some turn grey in their 20s, some people's hair becomes thinner, some becomes more wavy. There is no "one style fits all 50-year-old ladies". Focusing so much on specific ages seems to have little meaning. Not only that, but there are so many more factors than age which determines hair style choice. Edited by wintermom