Menu

If you are within 3 years (either side) of 50, how do you wear your hair? UPDATE

Ali in OR

I ask because people's hair colour/thickness/what have you changes in a huge time range. Some turn grey in their 20s, some people's hair becomes thinner, some becomes more wavy. There is no "one style fits all 50-year-old ladies". Focusing so much on specific ages seems to have little meaning. Not only that, but there are so many more factors than age which determines hair style choice.

I have cousins who went grey in their 20's -- it's still unusual, not the norm. I also know a woman in her 60's that still has her original color, never uses a bottle. Also not the norm.

Implying that everyone's hair is an insane, wild range -- isn't reality. There are some variations, sure, but there are also norms. 

I still get what she's asking.

Alley

That's so true on the color front. I had a friend who was salt & Pepper when she graduated high school. My grandmother was snow white at 40, but my mom is 83 and is only just now getting a few grey strands mixed in. I have no grey yet but I think I'd rather have white than grey. I"ve always wondered why some get white and others get grey.

I will be 53 in June. I have long hair, almost mid-back, and it's curly with no grey. I wear it parted on the side. The back is one length, shorter on top and gradually lengthening to meet the long layer. It's really low maintenance and easy to put up as well. This is it almost exactly:  http://www.hair-styles-secrets-revealed.com/hair/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/hairstyle-for-curly-hair.jpg

I don't hold with the idea that you can't have long hair when older either. 

Mine is pretty much like this as well.  We call it River Song hair at our house.  I don't actually know what else I can do with it.  I'm afraid to go shorter because of the curls, afraid it would just end up looking like a bush on the top of my head, lol.  Atm I have a very poofy ponytail sticky off the back.

• Like 2

Mine is pretty much like this as well.  We call it River Song hair at our house.  I don't actually know what else I can do with it.  I'm afraid to go shorter because of the curls, afraid it would just end up looking like a bush on the top of my head, lol.  Atm I have a very poofy ponytail sticky off the back.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE River Song hair! Anyone who has it is super lucky!

I have hair that's curly in spots and wavy in spots. I call it "cave woman" hair because there's so much of it -- and if I let it get long I feel like I'm wearing a furry animal down my back.

So I have it in a chinish bob that I straighten w/ a round brush.

I'd love to let it go curly and let it get longer -- do you have good products to recommend?

Alley

• Like 2

I have hair that's curly in spots and wavy in spots. I call it "cave woman" hair because there's so much of it -- and if I let it get long I feel like I'm wearing a furry animal down my back.

I'd love to let it go curly and let it get longer -- do you have good products to recommend?

Alley

What I do is comb with a wide tooth comb after washing/conditioning and then pull through more conditioner while it's still damp, with my hands/fingers.  I only wash it 1-2 x's/week. It fluffs up all by itself when I shower each morning.  :tongue_smilie: The extra conditioner keeps the frizzies at bay (kind of).

This what I use, the shampoo and the conditioner. http://herbalessences.com/en-us/shop-products/browse-by-collections/totally-twisted/totally-twisted-curls-and-waves-conditioner

I am longer in the tooth than what you are looking for, BUT I was much closer to 50 when I went for the layered pixie cut (kinda like Jennifer Lawrence has last I looked only shorter, but not as short as Emma Watson went right after being Hermione) which I still have. My color has gone from a natural blonde to that non-color blondes turn into, with stray white or gray hairs popping up now (need more of them to determine color) I refuse to color my hair, my mom stayed an unnateral blonde far too long, and now my kid-sister, only 18-months younger than I, has light blonde hair that, I am sorry sis, just look too blonde to be natural at our age.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 1

I like that style. My dd wanted to try that look, so she asked our hairdresser for it. It looked horrible! Every cut was visible and the layers were clearly not straight.  I think it's a cut that requires someone knowledgeable about how to cut it that way. 

My hair is just past the shoulders with no bangs. I usually wear it in a high ponytail if I'm not driving anywhere or a low pony if I am. I'd really like to cut it short, but haven't yet found anyone who can cut stick straight hair short without it looking terrible. I have had long layers cut and liked the look; it made my hair look like it had some body.

Alley

Good conditioner (my hair is dry)! Also, I use a spray gel , Got 2 B Kinkier. It does a great job of keeping the curls the texture I like and doesn't weight down my fine hair like most gels do. 

I am 49.  My hair is naturally pretty curly/wavy, and I have a lot of it.  I let it dry naturally and then either wear it like that or use a large barrel curling iron on it (takes about 10 minutes at most).  The next couple of days after I curl it, I can just brush it lightly and go.  I wash it twice a week.  It is a minimally time-intensive style, but I think it's very flattering.  At this stage of life, my hair is my best feature.

5D2BF7C3-CF45-4CCD-B7BE-CA321CC8B611_zps

• Like 3

At 49, I wear it in a long, to my butt, braided ponytail.  I color my hair because I don't like the drab brown it became in my late thirties/early forties instead of the auburn of my youth. I have grey temples and am not bothered when they peak out between at-home root touch ups.  I use Suave shampoo/condition for my once-a-week washing. No styling or blow-drying.  Needs a trim to keep the split ends at bay, but generally only once a year or two.  I am very low maintenance.   

Edited by J&JMom

Alley

I am 53. I have Merida hair from Brave. Curly and wild and more red/brown rather than carrot top. It brushes the top of my shoulder blades and I dip dyed the ends bright purple. It has also been pink and sky blue😀

I am 49. My hair is naturally pretty curly/wavy, and I have a lot of it. I let it dry naturally and then either wear it like that or use a large barrel curling iron on it (takes about 10 minutes at most). The next couple of days after I curl it, I can just brush it lightly and go. I wash it twice a week. It is a minimally time-intensive style, but I think it's very flattering. At this stage of life, my hair is my best feature.

5D2BF7C3-CF45-4CCD-B7BE-CA321CC8B611_zps

This looks like a pic of my hair except mine is very dark brown.