Menu

What are your family's New Year's Eve traditions?

Jane Elliot

For the past several years, we have gone to a close friend's house and had a wonderful evening.  

This year, they have moved, kind of.  My friend is back, but just with one child, to get the house ready to sell.

So, my youngest and I will go up there and DH and my older two will go to another friends' house with a bunch of teens and adults.

Dawn

• Like 1

THe last few years, we have been going to the Symphony pop concert and then walk through our cities' Tinsel Trail (we have scores of decorated Christmas trees by organizations and businesses in a park next to the Concert Hall).  Then we go home, watch a DVD or saved show, and cheer at midnight.  For New Years day we eat ham and black eye peas.

• Like 1

These are all great ideas -- we have no traditions at all. I love the board games idea.

We usually have a fondue party on New Year's Eve, but we did that early this year because some of our adult kids are going to be out of town and didn't want to miss it. I'm looking for some fun ideas. We'd have about twelve people here and may invite more.

I need a good fondue recipe, starting a s/o thread. Will link.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/581266-so-new-years-thread-share-your-foolproof-fondue-recipe/

I make French onion soup for dinner, and we always watch Apollo 13. Our favorite tradition, though, is the New Year's Eve hot chocolate bar!

Lovely idea. Would you mind sharing what you have? It looks like two different whipped creams. Does that stuff come in flavors? Edited by Alessandra

We do whatever ds wants to do, since it's his birthday.  It used to involve Chuck-E-Cheese, but these days it involves bowling and lazer tag.  I always get New Years hats for all of us to wear that evening.  Ds tries to stay up until midnight.  He turns 13 this year, so maybe he'll make it.

• Like 2

Oh.....New Years.....

Where I am from it was THE holiday of the year bc all other holidays were kind of government holidays and very patriotic, but NY was the fun one, the "party all night" one.   That's when we had a tree and presents and all the other great stuff.

Well, after I got married, my husband thought it was crazy.  Like it's suppose to be this family thing, which to me it never was.

But now....I probably couldn't even handle "party all night" thing, but I did tell my kids about all the presents I used to get and now they want it.  LOL.  So, we'll probably do some fun food and may be watch a movie and I am considering some light presents for them. 

These are all great ideas -- we have no traditions at all. I love the board games idea.

I need a good fondue recipe, starting a s/o thread. Will link.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/581266-so-new-years-thread-share-your-foolproof-fondue-recipe/

Lovely idea. Would you mind sharing what you have? It looks like two different whipped creams. Does that stuff come in flavors?

I've done different things...every kind of marshmallow I can find (I like the peppermint ones the best, but the vanilla snowmen-shaped ones are fun, too!), sprinkles, different syrups to drizzle, candy canes, cookies that double as stirring sticks. I think at this time of year, you can usually find chocolate whipped cream in addition to the regular stuff in the dairy section, but I haven't looked yet...I hope they have it, because it's really popular with us!

• Like 1

I've done different things...every kind of marshmallow I can find (I like the peppermint ones the best, but the vanilla snowmen-shaped ones are fun, too!), sprinkles, different syrups to drizzle, candy canes, cookies that double as stirring sticks. I think at this time of year, you can usually find chocolate whipped cream in addition to the regular stuff in the dairy section, but I haven't looked yet...I hope they have it, because it's really popular with us!

Thank you!

As a kid and until I had kids, it was hang out at my parents' home as one big family, count down and do something at midnight (pop a cork, shoot a gun, whatever), some people would be drinking alcohol like on any holiday, someone would have cooked something with cabbage and pork.  :)

I've been in travel mode with my kids most years since they came home.  Maybe 2007 (their first NYE) was at my parents'.  2008 was in a nearby city to see midnight fireworks on the way to a road trip to visit some friends.  2009 I think we were on a boat doing a river cruise.  2010 I don't remember.  2011 we were in San Juan, PR.  2012 Disney World (Epcot).  2013 we were on a cruise ship in the Caribbean.  2014 Santiago, Chile.  This year I think we will be in Lisbon, Portugal.

NYE bags!! Open one each hour, sometimes there is a poem to go along with what's inside. The bags usually contain silly string, a craft, new movie, dinner/dessert, board game, silly Pinterest game or idea. This year I'm working until 5:30 so they will start without me. I'll have to get my dd to get picture before they open the first bag, usually 3 pm. It's a big, big deal in our house.

• Like 4

No food traditions.  

We're another family who plays board games or card games all evening/night, then 15 minutes before midnight we turn on Times Square on TV, open up our bubbly (which has been real stuff for the past few years now that our kids are older - we used sparkling cider for all when they were young), and count down the last bit.

After our midnight toast we sit around our Christmas tree and reminisce all the big things or "first" things that happened the past year, then anything we're looking forward to or should happen in the coming year.

Finally, when we can't think of anything else, we head to bed turning the lights off on our Christmas tree for the last time of the season.

I wouldn't have it any other way.  Each year it's been a very enjoyable time - one we all look forward to.

• Like 2

We watch a movie together as a family and then we have a family sleepover in the family room. We've done different things for food (pizza, fondue, appetizer type of foods) Last year dh and I came upstairs and let them sleep by themselves and will probably do that again this year. We're getting too old to find it comfy on the hard floor and couches. :) They all think it's still fun though. 

Our bigger tradition is that on New Year's Day we go on a good walk with a big group of friends. It's usually about 20-40 people and we walk about 3-5 miles depending on weather and how many little ones are joining us. We end up back at someone's house for soup and a late lunch, this year it's our place. That tradition has been going on now for I think 14 years. I know it's before my oldest was born. 

Movies, appetizer type foods, games, sparkling juice/champagne/watching ball drop at midnight.

I wish DH would let the kids sleep in, but he insists on waking everyone up (which leads to cranky kids).   :rolleyes:  I think this year we'll only have one asleep though.  

The one food tradition we have is making donuts.  This was a German tradition i grew up with and have continued.  Every New Years eve afternoon i make a batch of donuts and to make good use of the oil, i make a second batch New Years day.

This year there is only three of us home but i still plan to make at least the New Years Eve batch.

As we have directv and get the Eastern ABC/CBS/NBC channels, we stay up until 11 and watch NYC drop their ball and got to bed. Well, we do that when we don't forget to change the channel. Otherwise we go to bed. My kids are going to have it rough this year as they usually stay the night at MILs house but she has hand surgery the 30th and SFIL had arm surgery for an elbow break on Saturday. Neither are well equipped to watch them.

NYE bags!! Open one each hour, sometimes there is a poem to go along with what's inside. The bags usually contain silly string, a craft, new movie, dinner/dessert, board game, silly Pinterest game or idea. This year I'm working until 5:30 so they will start without me. I'll have to get my dd to get picture before they open the first bag, usually 3 pm. It's a big, big deal in our house.

This looks like a fun idea!

• Like 1

Usually, DH would go to a friend's house for a couple of hours while DS and I get Chinese takeout and watch movies. Then, around 11pm DH would come home and we would watch the fireworks and ball drop on tv. This year, DH wants us all to go to a friend's house (different friend) for a bonfire. Uggh, I do NOT want to go. The very idea actually makes me kind of angry. DH knows I can't stand these people and that I've never liked the idea of going out for New Year's anyway.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

The one food tradition we have is making donuts.  This was a German tradition i grew up with and have continued.  Every New Years eve afternoon i make a batch of donuts and to make good use of the oil, i make a second batch New Years day.

This year there is only three of us home but i still plan to make at least the New Years Eve batch.

RECIPE!!  Love this idea.

We eat a variety of appetizers (pretty much instead of dinner, from about 6 p.m. on) and play board games.  Sometimes we do a balloon/confetti drop and this year dd wants to watch New Year's Rockin' Eve because 1D, 5SoS, Fallout Boy, and some other bands are on.  LOL  Toast with sparkling grape juice and this year dh and I have champagne from his company!

Edited by 6packofun

Oh, New Years is big here. I try to get all the major cleaning done before the 21st - didn't manage it this year but we're almost done now. I love to sweep and start the new year fresh. I try to make a list early in the month with the big kids input of things that kept being put off this year that we can do in the last week of the year/first week of next year that always includes a nature walk with bird feed [nature trips often get delayed due to weather and disabilities]. Big one on this year's list was baking more biscuits/cookies ;) 

We decorated for it on Boxing Day - I print out pictures like these [my kids particularly like the bookmarks on this page as wall pictures] for them to colour and the bigger kids often make their own. We make sure there is one on the window for guests and one near all the clocks and the rest are spread throughout the rest the house by the kids - finding them is part of the fun [the shower one was the last and most surprising find this year]. 

On the night itself, we have a big family dinner and dessert - we're having this at the hotel my partner works at this year. Those under 5 go to bed at a normal time, and the older kids all bring their sleeping bags to the living room to try to stay up. I have a youtube New Year's playlist [that we've listened at least daily for almost a week now] that perks them up and board games ready [we may add movie marathons and puzzles this year] and a small table of snacks/finger foods and drinks. They all have a little baggie of noisemakers to use at midnight. As their father isn't working this year [he works nights and has done New Years these last few years] it will be even more exciting for the kids so not sure what we may do - it'll depend on what the whole family wants to do that night. We watch the BBC's firework display at midnight usually. I usually slip to bed and turn lights off at this point, and M-6 went to bed shortly after me last year. In the morning, we have a sweet breakfast [sweet filled breads and such], they have another baggie of noisemakers so the little one can join in as well, we pull crackers together, and then they open their large present bags while we listen to New Years music.  

I also always record a mini-interiew with each of the kids on New Years Eve before we have dinner. Just a few questions and asking about their year and their hopes for the next. We like to watch old ones during the night as well.