Menu

How long did your DC play with a play kitchen?

medawyn

3 years and counting, so 2 to 5yo.  I didn't go for a big kitchen, though.  I bought a small tabletop one.  It sits on a shelf in the closet and the kids play with it off and on.  When it's not being used it goes up to the top of the closet, when it is the kids move it around the house.

I just asked my 8 year old and she said she just organized it yesterday. I don't think she would play with it if I didn't have a five year old also. I'm tired of the thing because we've had it for 8 years now. My husband built it from an old computer armoire when my 8 year old was a newborn.

ETA: My five year old plays with it. It's in her room.

Thanks, all! I know I can't predict if it'll be a favorite toy, but I have a hunch that DS 2.5 would love one. DH just applied to a job that will take us away from an outside 360 days a year climate to one with Real Winter. Fortunately, it also comes with a lower cost a living, so a play room might be possible.

Santa's just thinking things through, since outdoor toys were the original gift idea!

• Like 1

About 5 minutes.

This was my daughter too. We got one used when she was about 3. I think she played with it once or twice. We found out that a lady in town was getting emergency custody of her grandkids, and dd was more than happy to give it to kids that would play with it.

We've had two now, one built and one purchased, both ignored. Total waste of time and money. DS7 has been asking for a Kitchen Aid stand mixer for two or three Christmases now, so I think they just bypassed the fake stuff phase.

When we remodel the kitchen, I'm just going to make kid-friendly spaces to use real stuff.

• Like 1

Around 6. We had one of the wooden ones that was a bit larger and more complex (drawers and cupboards, knobs that turned etc.) so I think it had plenty of play value. Not sure if it's have been as long for some of the very small ones that don't do much. A friend had one of those and it was a lot shorter, more designed for toddlers. 

We got ours when dd7 was 3yo and it is still going strong. We especially get good mileage out of it because of the younger kids. I suspect we will probably have it until it completely falls apart. We have one of the larger KidKraft ones and it was a grandma gift for Christmas that year. It is in our playroom and the top of it also acts as a special toy storage shelf.

We have the one from Ikea for my daughter who is now 6 and she loves it.  When her little friends come to visit, they spend all their time in there running restaurants, cooking, etc.  My 10 yr old son still plays with her sometimes.  Its very simple and is taller than some.  Both also tag along in the real kitchen and help with cooking.  

Thanks, all! I know I can't predict if it'll be a favorite toy, but I have a hunch that DS 2.5 would love one. DH just applied to a job that will take us away from an outside 360 days a year climate to one with Real Winter. Fortunately, it also comes with a lower cost a living, so a play room might be possible.

Santa's just thinking things through, since outdoor toys were the original gift idea!

Look into Magnatiles. They are a great toy with long lasting appeal and they don't take up a lot of space.

• Like 1

I never did get a toy kitchen; I dithered on it for years. But my kids loved to play with the fake food and utensils without the kitchen. They would make meals for the stuffed animals.

We got ours when oldest was 2, and donated it when twins were 7.

I wish we had kept it longer because they still enjoyed playing with it. I was on one of my decluttering sprees and made a mistake.  :o

They still use the dollhouses at 11 (oldest played occasionally this past summer!) and I'm itching to donate those but don't want to do it too soon again...

If you get one, get realistic play food and dishes.  Learning Resources has baskets that have been favorites here. The wooden box pretend stuff was shoved aside, but crackers that look like they came out of a box of Ritz?  Fascinating.  We don't do many 'pretend play' toys (I usually just get small tools), so when it is brought out the kids have the same level of expectation.

Ours got a ton of use. I would say between the three kids (mostly the 2 girls) it got used regularly for 8 or 10 years. Ds hardly used it, dd, whom I bought it for her second birthday used it a lot until she was about 6 and then youngest (who wasn't born when we got it) used it pretty regularly until she was 7 or 8 and still at 9 isn't ready to give it away. 

Having said that, youngest dd is just that kind of kid who loves to play make believe more so than her siblings and for much longer. 

My 5 yo and almost 2 yo are both still playing with it.

We put ours in the closet of the toddlers room. It buys us time to sleep in on weekend mornings, I just change his diaper and open the closet door, and get an extra 1-2 hours. Best thing we ever did. Plus clean up is just shoving everything in the closet and closing the door.

6 - 7 years. I paid $10 at a garage sale. They played with it almost daily between the ages of 2 - 8, but it lasted for all three kids. I changed out the play food frequently. They also had a little market with fake food too and a table and a chair set. We also had a play washer and dryer set - $3 at a garage sale. I kept it in my laundry room. They played with that all the time, too. My kids really liked pretend play.

45+ years ago, my siblings and I had a wooden play kitchen and a child sized wooden table and chairs. My sister and I played with it until I was about 11 (I remember this specifically, because I knew I was old for it). My parents saved it, and my children played with it on and off for almost ten years (usually as a restaurant). We recently passed it on to my brother's grandchildren. My brother painted the kitchen set, and it looks almost brand new.

So in our case ... almost 50 years.

• Like 2

Like you, I had a hunch my DS would love one. He had played on one at a friend's house, and loved opening the little doors and putting stuff inside. We bought him one at about age 2.5. He's 7 now, and just used it this week to set up a restaurant. :) It receives heavier play at times, ignored at times, but still loved and well worth the purchase. :) It's one of the Step 2 smaller ones that are plastic.

Look into Magnatiles. They are a great toy with long lasting appeal and they don't take up a lot of space.

We have a whole box of hand-me-down Magnatiles from the neighbors.  It was an awesome time to be in the right place!  DS loves them, but building with them is still a little beyond him.  He mostly sticks them all over the metal frame of our coffee table.  They get used heavily when my 5 and 6 yo nephews come over, though, so I know he'll grow into building with them soon.

I love hearing about so many kiddos enjoying their play kitchens for years.  With two little ones and one on the way (and probably more to follow...), I think I'm going to gamble that it would be a good "investment".  Plus the grandparents will love buying the accessories.

• Like 1