Menu

s/o College Degrees

Jenny in Florida

265 members have voted

1. 1. What is the highest educational credential you've earned?

• High school diploma (or equivalent)
    • Some college, but no degree
    • Technical certificate/Trade or vocational training
    • Associate's (or equivalent)
    • Bachelor's (or equivalent)
    • Master's (or equivalent)
    • Doctorate

I'm curious to see whether our little community here matches the statistics for the U.S.

I did my best with the poll options. If I missed anything, please feel free to let me know?

(Yes, I know we have a lot of members who are not from the U.S. or who don't live here now. If you're interested in participating in the poll, please vote whichever option seems appropriate to you.)

Bachelors in Physics and Psych here, minor in Math.

You didn't ask about spouse/sig other, but my guy also has a Bachelors in Civil Engineering with more study/testing to have his Professional Engineering license (which requires continuing education credits to keep).

The degrees have been very worthwhile for us.

PhD.

It's necessary for the job I have. I really like my job -- one of the things I was searching for was a job where I felt I would be accomplishing something meaningful.

I don't know if I would do it again, though. In retrospect I might have gone with a bachelor's in math, master's in education instead. But it is a bit late to change now :)

Since I have two BAs and a technical writing cert........well, I don't fit the poll very well. 

Hope you'll post the comparison statistics when the poll is done.

I'm sorry, I did my best to make it pretty cut and dried. I'm attempting to get a feel for how well the community here matches the general statistics in the U.S. Since the highest educational credential you have is a bachelor's (even though you have two of them), that would be the most accurate choice in the poll.

Unless the technical writing certificate is equivalent to a master's?

• Like 1

BS in History, Technology, & Society (plus teaching certification for social studies)

MS in Mathematics Education

I was accepted into a PhD program (Curriculum & Instruction with a concentration in Mathematics), but realized that my research assistantship stipend wouldn't cover the childcare I would need.  So instead of starting the PhD program, I had another child.  :lol:  All done with the "having more children" thing, so hopefully I'll be able to do the PhD once they're a bit older.  :thumbup1:

There should be an option for currently attending college. We have a self-education forum and a group for those going to college. You'll probably see that many of us are still working toward a degree. 

Oh, I'm sure that's true. However, since what I'm trying to get a feel for is how well we match up with the U.S. statistics, I mostly used the same categories used there. The best choice for folks who are still working toward a degree would be "Some college."

B.A. in Mass Communication with a print journalism specialization. 

Basically, newspaper work -- I was the editor of our campus newspaper, and that's how far I went with that. :)  The education I actually use for work was a 6-week online training program.  I successfully completed that in 2009 and have been working in the field of speech-to-text transcription since that time.  The writing and editing skills I gained in college have definitely been a help to my work now!  No regrets and am happy that I got my B.A.

• Like 2

Before seeing any results I can tell you they won't.  Studies have shown homeschool parents tend to be more highly educated than the average American.

I'd be curious to see a comparison between HSing and non-HSing parents after other demographic factors are controlled for. We know that HSing parents are far more likely to be currently married, for example. My suspicion is that HSing parents actually are probably a bit less likely to have bachelor's or higher degrees when everything else is equal. The more education a woman has, the less likely it is she is a SAHM.

I agree PhD should include professional degrees. I would assume the professionals will check that even though they aren't "PhD". FWIW, I will decline to vote because it's a public poll. No offense, I just keep a lot of my life separated as much as possible.

Hmm, I actually would tend to separate them.  I don't really think of PhD's and professional degrees similarly.

• Like 2

I agree PhD should include professional degrees. I would assume the professionals will check that even though they aren't "PhD". FWIW, I will decline to vote because it's a public poll. No offense, I just keep a lot of my life separated as much as possible.

I don't vote in public polls either......

• Like 1

I voted "some college, no degree" though the reality is "most college, no degree".  I was literally 1 credit away from my degree and just never went back to take that ONE 4 hour Saturday morning class.

The class I never figured out how to schedule in?

Time Management.   :lol:

I should make a book in which I copy/paste things that literally make me laugh out loud.  This would be one of the entries. 

• Like 2