Menu

What does the word co-op mean to you?? (in the homeschool co-op sense)

PeacefulChaos

Co-op  

146 members have voted

1. 1. What does the word 'co-op' (when referring to homeschool co-ops) mean to you?

• a homeschool group that meets for classes - membership required, may have joining fees or statement of faith, high parental involvement (teaching classes, bringing snacks, other volunteer stuff), etc
    • a homeschool group that meets for fun activities but has fluid membership for each class
    • an entity that offers classes to homeschoolers but does not require membership or parental involvement
    • some combination of the above (please explain)
    • other (please explain)
  2. 2. Overall, is your opinion of what you consider 'typical' homeschool co-ops positive or negative (for your family personally - would you participate in one)?

• positive
    • negative
    • other
  3. 3. Where do you live (ballpark - there is also some talk that our definitions of it may be regional)?

• U.S. - Northeast Region
    • U.S. - MidAtlantic Region
    • U.S. - Southeast Region
    • U.S. - Midwest Region
    • U.S. - Northwest Region
    • U.S. - Southwest Region

A co-op to me is generally the first option. The co-ops we have participated in have had parent teachers that have expertise but also professional teachers. They set the rates for their own classes. Parents do monitoring and supervise set up and clean up. I know some people think if it is not all volunteer teaching required it is not a co-op. But to me it would not exist without parents being involved, so I still think of it as a co-op

Our first co-op experience was just so-so. I think young kid co ops can be hit and miss. We did our younger kid co op for like 2 years. Classes were hit and miss, kids were not always engaged. It felt cliquey to me. Co-ops are very much the families who make them up so they are all unique. Our new one is just for ages 10+. Kids chose to be there and are generally much more engaged. I am also better at picking class offerings and teachers for my particular kids now too. Partents take turns but do not need to remain on site. My kids love this set up. This co-op is secular so no SOF.

• Like 2

Ditto the bove poster. A co-op is when you all co-operate to make it run well by taking on various responsibilities. I would probably classify the getting together for fun activities with fluid membership as a playgroup, as taking courses with no parental involvement as, well, taking classes.

Co-op has been fantastic for our family, but that's because we have a large local homeschooling group with similar values as our family. I imagine it would be a lot more negative if we were getting together with a group for my kids to be taught by other parents who believe very different things.

• Like 2

To me:

Co-op means cooperative. It means parents take turns planning, preparing for, and teaching classes. Those who don't teach might take care of the little ones. Sometimes it has fees, but usually only for supplies. There's no fee to join. No one gets paid. You are expected to commit and attend all or most of the sessions. The people involved at least know each other, some are friends.

That's the experience I've had over the years. All the co-ops I've been involved in were secular. If there's a joining fee and parents don't actually teach or otherwise help out, I consider those to be classes, not co-ops.

• Like 2

To me, if parents are not teaching/very actively involved, it's not a co-op, which means that in my area a co-op class usually doesn't have the same adult teaching every single week-parents will rotate through and teach according to their interest and skill-set, usually only for 1-4 weeks at a time. Parents may not and often don't have credentials in that field, but are usually teaching something they're interested in and enjoy playing with (or that their kids do). For that reason, co-ops are usually enrichment-things like hands on science, art, crafts, physical activities, and so on. The co-ops we've been with may send home activities and extensions, but they're not assigned "homework" that will be collected and graded. The only money collected is to pay for the venue and maybe for class supplies for something like an art project or to buy a science lab kit. Usually these come out of a specific homeschool group, or sometimes are arranged by parents for their kids (the latter tend to be smaller).

There are plenty of options, some taught by homeschool parents, for academic classes designed to teach a specific content area. The teachers tend to have professional expertise in a given area and are paid for their time and expertise. These do have an at-home component, usually follow a curriculum, give grades, etc. Usually these are drop-off classes, or at least can be and are paid by tuition, which can be waived for a parent who is teaching another class. Around here, those are usually called tutorials.

To convolute things-I lead (and have been involved with other) clubs as well-these tend to meet monthly, and one parent takes the lead, but each parent/child pair are responsible for bringing in something related to what they're doing each time to share. So, we're going into our 4th year of mythology club. Each month, each child presents on a figure, story or event in mythology to the group. In math club, each child brings a problem or activity to share and do together. In an American Girl club, each child/parent brought something related to the book/character we were reading that month, so one would lead a discussion, another might teach a folk dance, another lead a craft, another cook something with the kids, etc. These groups tend to be small (I limit the ones I do to 12 kids, which is usually only 4-6 families, and some are smaller) and be kids who are close together in age and interests.

• Like 1

I've only been involved in one once, for one semester, when we were living away from home. 

In my mind, a co-op can mean a variety of things.  The one we were at required the parent to either teach or help in some other capacity (administrative, babysitting for pre-school children, etc.), or pay.

Our involvement was positive, as it allowed my kids to do something different for awhile.  But it was big and felt so much like a real school, that it felt funny to be part of it and call it homeschooling.  I don't know if I would have chosen to continue.

• Like 1

I'm in the southeast and have participated in one co-op over 2 years. With that group all parents had a job and each family paid a fee. The co-op focused on history and literature and the fees paid for teaching supplies which were mostly used for the younger groups. It worked out that each parent only had to teach for a semester though one woman volunteered to teach the entire year when one family dropped out partway through the year. New families were not invited to join mid-year. I voted based on this experience.

When I was in the midwest we had a different kind of co-op; we were in that one only a year. We met twice a month--once for a field trip and once for some kind of learning activity like poetry reading or dissecting a cow eyeball. I don't think we had membership fees and it was more open to newcomers. Each parent was still expected to lead or help out with at least one activity. Membership in this group was limited to our church's families. There was a second co-op there that was closed/limited membership and focused more on academics. I don't know what their rules were but they didn't allow new families unless another family left. I was really bummed when we moved away as our co-op moved into becoming a full blown co-op with academic and elective classes as well as childcare. It was going to meet once a week and parents had to teach a certain number of hours. There was also a fee for supplies. There were a couple of teachers that didn't have kids in co-op and they were paid; I recall the art teacher was one because there were no parents who could teach art.

I don't consider a program a co-op if I pay for my kid to attend classes and I don't have any role except to get them there.

• Like 1

I never knew of any co-ops when I was homeschooling. My kids took homeschool classes through organizations. In the first one, I think some parents did teach but there was no parental involvement expected. You could even drop off your kids. There was study hall, with a fee, when a kid didn't have a class. I didn't really know many people there though, so I just sat in the hall while my kids were in classes. The second place used more qualified teachers. I was in a college Montessori program and they would only hire me to teach if I graduated. Those classes were more expensive. Many of the parents were friends and I was always on the outside so I sat away from them and worked on my computer.

• Like 1

When we homeschooled, the second description was closest to our co-op, but parents had to teach or be a helper for at least two classes to participate. There was a more formal homeschooling academy in town as well. Parents weren't required to help, but they never referred to it as a co-op.

• Like 1

I have a hard time thinking of drop-off tutorials as co-ops. I also wasn't sure how you could be in a co-op without being a member of that co-op? I never participated until my kids hit middle school. I just wasn't interested before then. I have belonged to support groups that held events and hosted field trips, but without classes that meet regularly taught mainly by parents I wouldn't consider them a co-op.

At our co-op, there is no SOF because it's secular. There is a mix of truly academic and enrichment classes and each family chooses if they want one class or up to five. Individual teachers determine supply fees for their class, but nobody is charging fees just for teaching. There are even a few classes that adults can take. Our responsibilities are:

Pay a low membership fee

Teach or co-teach a class

Do two "chores" per semester

Help with one 'event' during the year (like the end of year picnic or the new member meeting)

Stay on the premises at all times (this GREATLY reduces insurance rates and prevents a lot of problems.)

Most of our parents are educated and socially competent, so hiring outside experts isn't really an issue. The parents choose what they WANT to teach and the organizers juggle it so that each year, each age group has options for the main subjects. The Latin teacher doesn't have kids in the co-op, but that's because her youngest graduated and she continued her classes in spite of not having children there anymore. I believe she DOES charge a teaching fee for her class.

• Like 2

The word co-op tells me how the group operates but not what they do.  By the definition of co-op, meaning to co-operate, it means the parents or students are working together to make it happen. It is not a private school where money is paid to teachers to do their job. I personally wouldn't expect it to be a purely social group but I don't think that is ruled out if that is what the participants want. I expect high parent involvement and, hopefully, even involvement by the students. In ours some of the teens take on teaching a class, which I think is wonderful.

And while I said my impression of co-ops is positive, because it is, I do not participate in my local secular co-op. I just don't have the time to create a class. They have some really involved ones and I don't I want to pay to work that hard, lol.

• Like 1

I would probably classify the getting together for fun activities with fluid membership as a playgroup, as taking courses with no parental involvement as, well, taking classes.

And I would call it a support group; it may include fun activities, park days, field trips, or Moms' Night Out; it may also include more structured group activities, from crafts to academics, but those would be peripheral. The kind of "membership" is irrelevant (e.g. "fluid," although I'm fuzzy on exactly what you mean by that). Also, none of the support groups with which I was familiar (and I've known *many* support groups over the last 30+ years) offered any sort of regular courses that had no parental involvement. o_0

A "play group" would be mothers of pre-school-aged kids getting together for "play dates."

• Like 6

We have a couple of co-ops in this area.  There's the CC type.  There are also a few groups that pretty much just do a co-op; in those groups, the parents are all required to teach and assist in classes.  I don't think they allow drop-offs.

Our group is a support group.  We may or may not offer a co-op type of class.  In that arrangement, every family participating must have a parent teach or assist, and there is a class or supervised play for every age; these have been inexpensive for us to offer, but they require a large number of participating adults.  We may or may not offer drop-off classes (one teacher plus assistants, parent participation not required, drop off the child in the class but no arrangements for other children; you would pay more for this option than for a full parent-participation co-op).  Even aside from either type of class that we may or may not offer in a given year, we offer field trips, parties, parent support events, and other things.  People join our group for one reasonable fee per year, and then they attend whatever events they want to.  Some do pretty much everything, some do just the field trips, and some join just for the lending library.  Other events, including any co-op or drop-off classes, have additional fees.

But to me, "co-op" means everyone pitching in.  Some teach, some assist, some clean up, some watch the nursery, some teach picture study, etc.  But everyone gets a job, and because everyone helps, financial costs are lower.

Also, my experience with co-op has been largely positive.  But we do mainly enrichment, things that are harder to do at home, like public speaking or organized games in a gym class.  I'm not really interested in one for academic purposes, because that would be a lot of work on me to prepare for a class, especially one that can serve as the entire academic subject for the semester or year.  (In contrast, I taught a class at our co-op a couple of years ago that was only four sessions; it was hefty and required a lot of time from me, but it was only an enrichment supplement.  It wouldn't have been enough to be the entire semester of history.)

• Like 1

I chose the first two options, because I would use the word co-op to describe either of those to someone not involved in the homeschooling world.  I do think the first is strictly closer to the definition, but if someone who's not a homeschooler asks me, "So, you homeschool?  But, like, your kids are in a co-op, right?" then I'm pretty sure they would count either of the first two as "in a co-op."  Basically, a group of homeschoolers getting together and learning something, regardless of whether it's a set commitment or a whoever-shows-up-today sort of thing with a rotation of who's in charge.  I didn't count the third option because that seems like it would apply to non-homeschoolers who want to sign up as well (like a city-run arts class, or something).

I said negative on the second question, but that was more in answer to the "would you participate in one" question.  I don't have any problem with co-ops (of whatever definition) for those who want to use them, but at least for right now, they don't really fit or fill a need for my family.  That may change as my kids get older.

I'm in the southeast.

• Like 1

One of the very first things I learned when I created my co-op is that you have to define what you mean upfront, because "co-op" means very different things to different people.

My personal definition is everyone is present, everyone chips in. That doesn't mean the other definitions aren't valid, it just means that it's a word that can't be used without qualifications.

• Like 3

I said negative on the second question, but that was more in answer to the "would you participate in one" question. I don't have any problem with co-ops (of whatever definition) for those who want to use them, but at least for right now, they don't really fit or fill a need for my family. That may change as my kids get older.

I'm in the southeast.

When my kids were the age of yours, no co-op would be worth giving up my son's 2-hour nap. They could have offered free money and I wouldn't have joined. I imagine that the decision is tougher for families with teenagers AND toddlers.

• Like 2

Hell, it means hell :D

We did a co-op many years ago when the kids were young, as a classical educator, it was a nightmare.  If I'd wanted a play group, I would have joined a playgroup.

That having been said, we did participate in an academic co-op more recently and I was very pleased.  Youngest did IEW and Logic and oldest did American Lit.  I taught biology labs and helped in the Lit class.  I wish that had been around much longer, we would have done it.

• Like 5

And I would call it a support group; it may include fun activities, park days, field trips, or Moms' Night Out; it may also include more structured group activities, from crafts to academics, but those would be peripheral. The kind of "membership" is irrelevant (e.g. "fluid," although I'm fuzzy on exactly what you mean by that). Also, none of the support groups with which I was familiar (and I've known *many* support groups over the last 30+ years) offered any sort of regular courses that had no parental involvement. o_0

A "play group" would be mothers of pre-school-aged kids getting together for "play dates."

Hmmm ... well I think this is all semantics.  We have a weekly casual come as you can group that mostly meets at parks when the weather allows.  The kids are ages 3-14.  The kids mostly free range and PLAY while the parents chat.  Everyone in the group calls it a playgroup. 

And everyone at our co-op calls it a co-op.  It would not exist without extreme parental involvement, even though there are cases when kids are dropped at the door on a particular day and teachers may be paid professionals.  The board and organization only exists through volunteer parents and all new members are required to volunteer.   I know lots of people here would call that a tutorial.  I've personally had much more mixed sucess when parents are required to teach.  And again, I think younger kids co-ops can really revert to a glorified social hour pretty quickly. 

Anyway - as long as what it is and what it involves is clear up front to new people getting involved, to me it doesn't really matter what you call it.  You want to call my playgroup a support group, and my co-op a tutorial?  Fine by me!  :thumbup1:

• Like 1

Hmmm ... well I think this is all semantics.  We have a weekly casual come as you can group that mostly meets at parks when the weather allows.  The kids are ages 3-14.  The kids mostly free range and PLAY while the parents chat.  Everyone in the group calls it a playgroup. 

And everyone at our co-op calls it a co-op.  It would not exist without extreme parental involvement, even though there are cases when kids are dropped at the door on a particular day and teachers may be paid professionals.  The board and organization only exists through volunteer parents and all new members are required to volunteer.   I know lots of people here would call that a tutorial.  I've personally had much more mixed sucess when parents are required to teach.  And again, I think younger kids co-ops can really revert to a glorified social hour pretty quickly. 

Anyway - as long as what it is and what it involves is clear up front to new people getting involved, to me it doesn't really matter what you call it.  You want to call my playgroup a support group, and my co-op a tutorial?  Fine by me!  :thumbup1:

I would only call it a tutorial if parents paid for everything and were not required to participate in it's running. As in, pay and drop off your kids. If parents are still doing all of the work except some of the teaching, I'd still call it a co-op. And that would cost less than I'd expect to pay at a tutorial.

• Like 3

Hmmm ... well I think this is all semantics.  We have a weekly casual come as you can group that mostly meets at parks when the weather allows.  The kids are ages 3-14.  The kids mostly free range and PLAY while the parents chat.  Everyone in the group calls it a playgroup. Your weekly park day is a support group meeting.  Semantics matters. :-)

<snip>

Anyway - as long as what it is and what it involves is clear up front to new people getting involved, to me it doesn't really matter what you call it.  It matters what you call it, because it is different (although I have no real opinion about co-op vs "tutorial," because neither really existed when I was hsing, and when co-ops became popular, the nudge from a true co-op to a tutorial was never clearly delineated or defined). A play-group is like MOPS, with parents of pre-schoolers who may or may not ever intend to homeschool. A support group is a group of homeschooling parents who meet together for mutual support, which can be children playing while the parents encourage one another under the guise of chatting; it is a valuable, purposeful, important activity. People who are familiar with MOPS-like activities know what a play group is, and it is different from a homeschool park day. "Play group" doesn't have the same weighty importance as "support group."

• Like 1

A few friends and I are starting a new, uh, thing this fall. We're offering classes but don't require parent involvement. We were calling it a co-op but were told that wasn't the right label. So now we're calling it an 'academy', which still isn't right but people really got the wrong impression when we called it 'co-op'.

• Like 1

Hmmm ... well I think this is all semantics.  We have a weekly casual come as you can group that mostly meets at parks when the weather allows.  The kids are ages 3-14.  The kids mostly free range and PLAY while the parents chat.  Everyone in the group calls it a playgroup. Your weekly park day is a support group meeting.  Semantics matters. :-)

<snip>

Anyway - as long as what it is and what it involves is clear up front to new people getting involved, to me it doesn't really matter what you call it.  It matters what you call it, because it is different (although I have no real opinion about co-op vs "tutorial," because neither really existed when I was hsing, and when co-ops became popular, the nudge from a true co-op to a tutorial was never clearly delineated or defined). A play-group is like MOPS, with parents of pre-schoolers who may or may not ever intend to homeschool. A support group is a group of homeschooling parents who meet together for mutual support, which can be children playing while the parents encourage one another under the guise of chatting; it is a valuable, purposeful, important activity. People who are familiar with MOPS-like activities know what a play group is, and it is different from a homeschool park day. "Play group" doesn't have the same weighty importance as "support group."

You quoted within the quote so I had to copy and paste. Wooly Socks wrote in black, Ellie in red.

Why does it matter? The answer: It doesn't. We went to a monthly park day that we called - Park Day. There was no meeting involved. Some people gave each other support, some applied henna to each other, some chatted about things unrelated to homeschooling, and some had small children who had to be closely watched so they didn't get much mom-to-mom time. It was a playgroup, a park day, a support group. The name did not matter

In the second paragraph, I also agree with Wooly Socks. As long as those involved have agreed on a term, and if they accept new members make it clear to newbies what the group is about, no the name does not matter. Why does the name need "weighty importance"? The answer: It doesn't.

Correction - It was a monthly park day, but I've already been quoted so even though changed it here, weekly is still there. :)

• Like 11

I said a combination, but maybe should have chose other. Not sure. We started co-op way back in 2002 while we lived in Florida. In that time we have attended 6 different ones with 5 being in Tampa Bay and 1 in the Columbia SC area. The co-ops in Florida were more of a drop off situation. You paid $12 a month per class per child. Some had you pay a whole semester up front, others paid monthly. You could teach or assist, but it was not required. We did not have to sign statements of faith or join a membership. There was always a family fee, but that was to pay the church. This worked well for me because I was working and homeschooling. I was able to get a day free to focus on work while my 2 oldest attended co-op. This was 5 different co-ops over 7 years. All somewhat different in offerings, but the same basic model. When the recession happened, I'm told that most of them closed down because a lot of families could not afford the fees that would amount to about $50 a month per child for 4 classes.

For the last year and a half, we have been involved in a different type of co-op here in SC. This is very much parent involvement. You have to volunteer 2 out of 4 hours. That can be teaching, teacher assistant, hall monitor, clean up, etc. this is the largest co-op we have done with about 300 kids and 100 families. Each class has at least 2 teachers if not 4 to help out when people are out. The cost is minimal, kept to materials... So some classes are free and none over $15 total for 12 weeks. You do have to sign a statement of faith to teach, but not to participate.

I like each in their own unique way. For me, way back when I was working, the drop off type served me better. But, they were smaller and maybe my kids would have met more friends in a larger setting. And cost, definitely kept people away. Now, in the present, we have a large group of friends that attend this co-op that we have known for years. Many of them would not be able to attend if it cost a lot. So, this is a perfect fit for us. My kids have always loved their co-op time. There is one big thing that plays into that though. I have never used co-op as their core instruction. It was always for enrichment. Yes, they learned tons of things, but I let them choose their classes. We have some high school kids that are not loving co-op right now because their moms put them in 2 hours of biology and 2 hours of literature. They are not getting to choose any of the fun and social classes. To each his own, but I treat co-op day as a day to get out with friends.

• Like 1

We've been involved in three different co-ops in two states, and they were all a bit different.  Our first one was completely parent led and taught, the parents had to be present at all times, and the classes were all "fun" classes.  It was disorganized and stressful.  We also found that we weren't the right type of Christians.

The second was a HUGE co-op in Texas that had a SOF, taught by teachers and parents, and you had to remain on campus.  It was very hard to get the classes you wanted because of the large size.  

The one we are in now is a large co-op, and while Christian based, they have no SOF to be signed and people of many different faiths and backgrounds attend.  All the teachers are paid, and have some sort of expertise in the area they teach.  Most also have kids at the co-op, but not all.  We pay a membership fee, have per class tuition each month, and have to put in volunteer hours.  It is a drop off co-op.  It has been our favorite by far.  

We also belonged to a group that did field trips and park days.  I considered it a HS group, not a co-op.

• Like 1

You quoted within the quote so I had to copy and paste. Wooly Socks wrote in black, Ellie in red.

Why does it matter? The answer: It doesn't. We went to a weekly park day that we called - Park Day. There was no meeting involved. Some people gave each other support, some applied henna to each other, some chatted about things unrelated to homeschooling, and some had small children who had to be closely watched so they didn't get much mom-to-mom time. It was a playgroup, a park day, a support group. The name did not matter

In the second paragraph, I also agree with Wooly Socks. As long as those involved have agreed on a term, and if they accept new members make it clear to newbies what the group is about, no the name does not matter. Why does the name need "weighty importance"? The answer: It doesn't.

:iagree: 

"A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet."

• Like 7

From the ages of 7-10 my daughter was involved in a regular, monthly play group with other little girls in our homeschool support group. It was a dedicated play group. Whether the mothers stayed for tea, dropped their daughter off, or sent her with another friend was immaterial. These girls wanted a regular "playdate" on the calendar to JUST play without a class or craft or 'purpose.' They were smart little girls. Play group it is! I'm not sure the MOPS definition of anything matters to those with no experience within that group.

• Like 4

I get that it should mean by the word that parents are involved and present, but I think colloquially that it doesn't always. A one day a week slate of homeschool classes is often called a co-op. And that's fine to me. I really don't care.

The co-op we're in doesn't fit any of the above definitions. We're small on purpose. No fees. The kids run the show. No classes. The parents are facilitators for what the kids want to do cooperatively. Sometimes we teach and plan, but often the kids plan. Parents take turns supervising and we do drop off.

I have no opinion on co-ops in general. Depends on the group.

• Like 1

Around here, it seems "co-op" has several meanings, so I chose  the combo choice.

We have one where some of the parents teach classes, but they are paid and kids are dropped off. It has a SOF because it's Christian. They even start the day with everyone coming to a devotional, if I'm not mistaken.

We have another one where every parent is responsible for an hour-long, 1-2 semester class. They either design and lead, or they assist. This is less academic.

And we have CC--I don't really consider that a co-op, but I know some refer to it as that.

Then we have co-op preschools. Parents are on the board, hire teachers and the director, and help once a month or so in the classrooms as an assistant. This is not a homeschooling deal, but I thought I'd mention it because perhaps it influences the area's definition for the homeschooling community, too.

• Like 1

I've been in a couple of co-ops. 

The first couple were just one class that met at a specific time each week or every other week with a set group of participants and was run by the parents each taking turns with the lesson.  These were all geared toward Preschool to 3rd grade and mostly centered around books (five in a row style) or topics (again with a story and activities).

But the co-op I am in now has classes run by parents or we do hire a few outside teachers, there is a statement of faith and a fee per semester and fees for classes.  It is for K-12 but the focus is on high school and trying to meet the equivalent needs of a high school diploma.  We can pick and choose classes. 

• Like 1

We participated in two different co-ops.

One was what I consider a traditional regular homeschool co-op. A group of homeschoolers got together and started a school. You joined (dues, statement of faith (that you could alter btw), signed your kids up for class, 'volunteered' for a teaching or support position (so many hours per week), classes meet regularly. Parents had to volunteer the first year. The second year, parents could opt out for money. Was it good for my kids? Mostly, but the quality of each class went down over the year. I think the teachers simply got tired or busy with their own lives, kids, etc. In one class the two children who behaved were penalized due to the other children's misbehavior (lack of field trip). Thank you, I can ship my kids off to public school for that particular experience. I noted that the some of the problem children were also the children of the ladies who put the co-op together.  I do not believe there were any issues here, but the problem was lack of supervision and group mentality.

The other one was a co-op set up by a support group, but they hired outside teachers with degrees in the subjects they were teaching. This was only for 8th grade and up. You paid for the class like you would at a community college. Quality was excellent. If we hadn't moved, I would have had my kids participate in this co-op again. No statement of faith.

• Like 1

:iagree:

"A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet."

And then there's our group. We set up a monthly park day in the warmer months, and we say, "Join us from 10-12 for a time for socializing and play, with a planning meeting from 10-12." We have people who stay for the meeting and some who don't, and occasionally, we even have people just come for the meeting. So it's all very casual, and around noon, we send word around that we will be starting the meeting soon, and any parent who is interested in participating makes her (or his) way to the tables.

There are some casual "lets get together to hang out at a set time each month" groups but they don't charge for membership and don't offer classes (although sometimes they find a group discount and others join in to get the discount) and they don't call themselves co-ops.

We are part of two organizations that call themselves co-ops.  We have had both good and bad experiences with these groups.  One has a SOF.  It offers classes taught by parents.  Quality of the classes varies widely.  Classes run 5 weeks in the fall.  Separeat set of classes run 5 weeks in the spring.  They also have an orchestra and a Student Council and organized sports.  There is a yearly fee.  This is what I normally think of as a co-op.

There is another organization we are a part of that used to be very much like the above.  They changed.  No SOF is required.  They do not offer co-op style classes.  They do not have sports or any sort of formal music group.  They do have a student council and sometimes do field trips.   The student council is very active and has a prom an end of year trip plus several activities each month.  They intend to start a Junior Student Council this next year for Mid elementary through 6th grade.  Instead of functioning like what I consider a normal co-op, they decided to revamp everything, though.  There is still a minimal yearly fee ($30) but their main thing besides student council is that they work with local organizations to negotiate discounted prices for outsourced classes/field trips/training.  

For instance, they worked with a local drama teacher to teach a drama class and have a drama team that offers performances in both the fall and spring.  The class is rigorous enough that the teacher offers High School level credits if the High Schoolers meet certain guidelines beyond the normal class.  They were able to get a local church with a stage and stage lighting to provide space for the classes with a very low fee.

For another example, we were able to get a great price on a Mechanical Engineering class and a Robotics class for the kids and instruction was for upper elementary through High School in the same class.  Quality, targeted instruction, 2 hours a week, for 7 weeks with each course.  Longer hours, plus an extra couple of weeks compared to what they normally offer, and at a better price, plus open to a wider age range than normal.  Why?  Because we could come at a time they had no one attending and the group could guarantee a certain number of students.  The company is now offering to provide a Robotics coach for a lower fee if our group will represent them in Robotics competitions.

Both organizations are calling themselves co-ops but are actually very different.  They are still organized, though.  It isn't just meet at the park stuff, just for fun (which can also be great, I just don't think of those as co-ops).

ETA:  I agree with upthread, I don't know that the name means all that much as long as it is made very clear what the group provides/does/considers itself.  It is helpful to have commonly understood terms, but definitions change over time.  Homeshooling is changing, terms are changing.  As long as everyone knows what is meant by "co-op" for that area/group, I don't find having a rigid definition all that necessary or helpful.

• Like 1

I have encountered completely different configurations that all call themselves co ops.  Some appear to be more like cottage or private schools with highly organized offerings taught by hired teachers, etc.  Some don't have classes at all and people just get together and sometimes they organize things and sometimes they don't.  Some loosely offer classes that are taught/organized/run by parents usually focusing on extra curricular type stuff.  So basically if someone advertises or announces a new co-op in the area I won't know what it will be like until I go there. 

• Like 2

To me a co-op of any kind (preschool, homeschool, food) is a membership based organization where there is a volunteer requirement for each person to participate.  I don't care what people call themselves, but that is what I assume when I hear the word "co-op".  Usually the fees for such things are lower than signing up for a private class.  The teachers may or may not be paid, but I assume that it's running at cost.  

Park day here isn't really a support group but it does have some inherent support/social aspects for moms and dads as well as kiddos.   It is not affiliated with a co-op but with a non-group group.  Not explaining that.  

I would chime in that the nomenclature around kid social activities has changed in the last 2-3 decades so when someone of Ellie's generation insists it's not a "play group" or "play date", I would remind him or her that to moms with kids still of or near school age, a very common term is "play group" or "play date".  My kids get invited to both.   Sorry, Ellie ;)  Things change.  Your daughters are older than me I think.  Language evolves, as we all well know.  

• Like 2

We have only done one, very informal with just five families.

No fees, no SoF, just friends.

Our experience was positive in that it was fun for me and my kids. They learned and we all enjoyed the friends. But it was not worth the time and the drive for what we got from it, so it dissolved at the end of that school year.

• Like 1

I voted "combination" ...maybe I should have voted "other"

I have trouble defining how the word "membership" plays in -- I have seen groups that require a "membership fee" that are structured in such a way that most here would agree they are not a co-op (that it instead is a tutorial or something else).

I attended a group for a short time that had co-op in its name, and had a structured meeting with activities for the kids that were planned and carried out by parents, but not "classes" per se.  I also don't know if anyone was really a "member" since I didn't have to sign a form or even "sign up" to participate ahead of time -- I just showed up at the meeting time, signed up to bring a snack or lead the craft at a couple meetings...and a few months later stopped attending when it wasn't working out for us (This was when DD was still a preschooler, but there were younger elementary kids in this group too, so not just preschoolers).  It was a really laid back group.

I think co-ops are definitely organized by parents who have kids involved (not by another group/school/organization).  I think it is primarily for classes or some other kind of structured educational activity (not just for fun, socializing, field trips, etc -- though those things may be included as well).  I think beyond that it might be a bit of a fine line between co-op and non-co-op.  Or maybe shades of gray between co-op and non?.  If it is just a group of parents hiring some outside teachers, and all the other parents just drop off their kids and pick them up again with zero other involvement...that seems like not-a-co-op in the traditional homeschooling sense.  But in my mind, even if all the teachers are hired from outside the group of parents -- if parents are staying on site, assisting with classes, staffing the nursery, planning parties, then it is a co-op regardless of if the classes are ala-carte or there is no statement of faith or official "membership" document, or whether it is high or low cost.   But what if parents organize it and it is some parents teaching the classes, but only parents who teach have to stay on site (I know of a co-op like this)?  I still think "yes, co-op" but maybe some people feel that if any parents can be uninvolved while their kids are in classes, it's not a co-op any more...? 

• Like 1

Combination

Negative overall, one very positive exception

Southwest, large city

Definition of Co-op:

When I use the word (and I know I'm not the word police and people can use the word how they choose) I mean all of the parents who have children participating are involved with the teaching, set up, activities, buying supplies, planning, making reservations and/or providing the information to a significant degree.  If a parent isn't doing any of those things or not nearly as much as the other parents, then the parent has signed up a child for a paid or a free class, not a co-op. Co-op is an abbreviation of the word co-operative and that implies shared work and shared responsibility to produce, not just consume. If I were the Queen of the World I would tyrannically require my subjects to only use the word this way. I am not, sadly, the Queen of the World...yet...

The classes or gatherings can be enrichment, academic, social or religious or whatever else they could be.  Some are paid, some are all volunteer or a combination (parents who help aren't charged a fee, parents who aren't helping are charged a fee).  Some have statements of faith, others don't.

Mostly negative impression so far.

It's poor organization, poor quality and poor participation that makes most of my overall impression negative.  I have had one outstanding co-op situation (American Girl book club) that was well organized, high quality and almost all of the participants participated really well.  God bless, Deb!  May she live long and prosper! May her tribe increase!

We have a huge homeschooling community in the county that includes the greater PHX area-just under 10,000 registered homeschoolers.  Co-ops here can be large.

To contrast with a class:

I have several friends who hire and art teacher for classes.  The teacher does all the teaching (I subbed when his girlfriend had surgery) and he does all the planning.  He provides all the supplies. We pay a per child fee for each class.

We have a PE class for homeschoolers.  Parents pay the coach who does all the teaching and planning.  He brings all the equipment each week.

I taught a quilting class one summer.  I volunteered to teach all of it for no pay.  I only required a fee for the fabric for the Quilt of Valor we made for a wounded service person.  The other parents just dropped the kids off with their sewing machines and an extension cord and chatted or ran errands.

• Like 1

A homeschool co-op is a learning cooperative in which parents cooperate in teaching group lessons in their particular areas of expertise.  If parents are not doing the teaching then it is a private school.  In order to be successful there would need to be a fixed membership who have made a commitment to the program.  A fluid membership with no commitment is a support/play group.

• Like 1

Why does it matter? The answer: It doesn't. We went to a weekly park day that we called - Park Day. There was no meeting involved. Some people gave each other support, some applied henna to each other, some chatted about things unrelated to homeschooling, and some had small children who had to be closely watched so they didn't get much mom-to-mom time. It was a playgroup, a park day, a support group. The name did not matter

Correction - It was a monthly park day, but I've already been quoted so even if I change it here, weekly is still there. :)

Actually, it does matter in NH.  If the kids are being educated by someone other than the parents for more than 50% of their program, they need to get approval by their participating agency or they are violating the law.  If someone is hired to provide more than 50% of an education program for a group of students they are not a homeschool co-op, they are a private school and would need to follow private school law and get themselves approved by the state.

A homeschool co-op is a learning cooperative in which parents cooperate in teaching group lessons in their particular areas of expertise. If parents are not doing the teaching then it is a private school. In order to be successful there would need to be a fixed membership who have made a commitment to the program. A fluid membership with no commitment is a support/play group.

So, I know we can agree to disagree but does the fact that my co-op decided to hire an art teacher this year because none of the moms wanted to teach art but we still wanted to offer an art class (but all the other classes are taught by parents) make us suddenly not a co-op by your definition? It just seems like such a tight filter!

• Like 4

So, I know we can agree to disagree but does the fact that my co-op decided to hire an art teacher this year because none of the moms wanted to teach art but we still wanted to offer an art class (but all the other classes are taught by parents) make us suddenly not a co-op by your definition? It just seems like such a tight filter!

Are parents teaching all of the other offerings, or are you only offering art?

:iagree: Many of the co-ops in our area are run this way and are uniformly called co-ops by all the homeschoolers around.  There may be some parents teaching in the mix.  Some teachers WERE homeschooling parents at one time.  Most teachers have an expertise or an interest area they are teaching.  There is a fixed membership fee and a commitment to volunteer for parents.  But that commitment is NOT a commitment to teach.  It's a commitment for clean up or be a hall monitor and some other odd jobs from week to week.  In the case of some kids, it might be a commitment to be on site at all times if your tween/teen is having a hard time with behavoir.  Our co-op would not exist without volunteer parents.  The only people who are paid are the individual teachers.  Our classes tend to be price similarly to community ed.  Cheaper than classes run by private organizations. 

• Like 2