Menu

National Figure Skating Championship- VIDEO finally!!! post#1

Tammi K

If you have a moment send a good thought or two to North Carolina this Saturday and Sunday when DS and his ice dance partner will be competing in the U.S. 2015 Figure Skating Championships! post-49926-0-13019200-1421177485_thumb.jpg

Update:  Competition is over for B/T.   They placed 12/13 - which is what we expected so we are not at all disappointed.  As far as we know they are the only Ice Dance team in Alaska. This gives them some disadvantages.  There are no more advanced teams to emulate and there are next to no competitions so no opportunities for judges critiques.  They also only tested into this level in August and were competing against kids who have skated for some time.  One team has skated 3 times in Nationals in this level! 

What they do do was skate well for their ability and had a clean, entertaining program. We're confident more time and more experience will get them another chance at Nationals in the future. 

I know some video was taken and I'm trying to figure out who has it and how to get it. I'll post on youtube when I can.

VIDEO  We finally have video to post.  It took forever to get the file and I'm afraid I didn't use the best settings as the video doesn't look too great on YouTube. But, if you would like to watch you can view it

post-49926-0-13019200-1421177485_thumb.jpg

Congrats.

My daughter is going in 3 weeks to her first competition for Special Olympics.  She is so excited to get all dressed up and skate to her music.  She is just getting the glide thing down so very early level but she has great dreams of skating like your ds and his partner.

How did it go?

DD tied for 12th (out of 22) with one of her best climbing buddies.  She didn't qualify for finals - they take the top 10.  It would have been a stretch for her to qualify for Nationals (they take the top 7 from the finals competition.)

Overall, not too bad since this was a bouldering competition, which requires big, powerful moves.  She is a better rope climber because she is more of a finesse climber.  She was a half a fingerpad away from qualifying for finals - she had her hand on a hold that she needed to finish a problem, but was about a half-inch from being able to control it.  But this was a big improvement over last year and she learned a lot and is motivated to improve.  That is a big win!

DD tied for 12th (out of 22) with one of her best climbing buddies.  ..... But this was a big improvement over last year and she learned a lot and is motivated to improve.  That is a big win!

I know exactly what you mean.  I've learned a lot from this experience. I've come away with an appreciation for not apologizing for DS's position because just getting here was an achievement.   It's impossible to tell as a spectator what disadvantages an athlete has compared to the others in the field.

I know our kids didn't finish with a high place but I know that they made great improvements since Sectionals and I know that they were competing against kids with far more experience and still they held their own.

• 2 weeks later...

How elegant! Lovely, just lovely. 

I love their attire (and I'm a sucker for white skates on girls. I'm old school. Dorothy Hamill old school.) SImple, classic attire. Love it. And the song! Now I want to go watch When Harry Met Sally

Thank you for sharing the video. I hope they get more opportunities to compete. Maybe they will start a trend in Alaska?