Menu

Tablecloths vs. place mats vs. ugly table

ILiveInFlipFlops

We have a dining table with a blemished top (bulges from spills not caught quickly enough, a piece of the finish ruined by a small chemical spill, etc.). We cant afford to replace it right now, and it's such a great table otherwise, so I have to find a way to deal with it. However, every time I put a tablecloth on it, the tablecloth has to be washed within a day or so, and I have to find all the food/oil spots and stain treat them all, and even then they don't always come out...it increases my laundry work by an uncomfortable amount :glare: I own place mats, but they often have the same problem, and they never seem to wash and dry easily--they always come out shrunken or all balled up, and if I hang them to dry, I have to iron them, which doesn't always get all the wrinkles out. And they don't cover the major table blemishes anyway.

What the heck am I doing wrong here? Do most people have this much trouble with their dining tables? If you use tablecloths, do you just expect to wash them everyday, or are my kids especially sloppy? We're having people over today, and I just looked over the tablecloth that I thought was clean and found numerous little stains and splotches all over it :cursing:

Are plastic/vinyl tablecloths my only real option? Do any exist that don't look lumpy and rough?

Thanks *sigh*

You can go to a fabric store and look around. You can buy lengths of oil cloth and that can often be nicer looking than the cheesy vinyl tableclths many stores sell. I was at a freinds house last week and she had a beautiful one on her table that looked like fabric until you touched it. I have one on my table, but it has been around many years now. One of my kids is a doodler and that is our school table. ;)

https://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/c92_oilcloth-fabric?gclid=Cj0KEQiA1qajBRC_6MO49cqDxbYBEiQAiCl5_E0tVIa1HqOy3lNHvk71ZmsLqF0T2qqkSHmMTQMcCUUaAivX8P8HAQ

I switched to glass table tops for just this reason.

Can you sand down your tabletop and restain it? Then put a lot of varnish or some such to protect the finish better from spills. I am sure a salesperson at Lowe's would help pick out the products.

Another option is to throw a couple of layers of an oil based paint on just the tabletop surface side. I think these stain worse in the end, however. The nice thing is one can just throw on another coat of paint when there is a new stain.

You can have a piece of glass cut for the top.

We own tablecloths and I get patterns to hide stains. I also assume I need to change them daily if I want a clean one.

Another option is those vinyl fabric tablecloths. Some nowadays look like fabric but are not, and you just wipe them down. The other good thing about them is a flannel backing that keep them in place on the table. I think they're ok, but I like real tablecloths better, but I'm going to switch because we either have no tablecloth usually because I can't keep up with the laundry either.

I switched to glass table tops for just this reason.

Can you sand down your tabletop and restain it? Then put a lot of varnish or some such to protect the finish better from spills. I am sure a salesperson at Lowe's would help pick out the products.

Another option is to throw a couple of layers of an oil based paint on just the tabletop surface side. I think these stain worse in the end, however. The nice thing is one can just throw on another coat of paint when there is a new stain.

You can have a piece of glass cut for the top.

I did this with our kitchen table.  It was a dark finish that I did not care for.  I painted it an off white and stenciled a pattern on the top.  Finished with several coats of water based polyurethane and was done.  It was not hard to do and has worn really well.  The only staining I have seen was from a Sharpie.

I bought cloth napkins. Ds puts one down for each person (unfolded, big square) at dinner to go under the plate and silverware. They are used as a placemat because they wash and dry much easier. Paper napkins are used as the actual napkin. You could do that on top of your tablecloth at meals and it may reduce the soiling of the tablecloth. Maybe do vinyl/wipeable placemats on top of the tablecloth for breakfast and lunch. Think layers of protection and hiding :tongue_smilie: .

PS. we don't use a tablecloth, just the napkin placemats at meals.

We use place mats. When I wash them with a load of towels, they don't ball up. If I wash them in a smaller, separate load, they do. I was them approximately twice a week, just shaking them out in between. The cloth napkins get changed out daily but I have enough of them for 3-4 days. They also get washed with the towels.

On our old table, which was scratched and discolored, we used a vinyl table cloth so we could just wipe off spills. They're not as cheesy as they used to be. On the other hand, they aren't amazing either. I used the vinyl ones for everyday with just the family and switched to a fabric one when I knew people were coming over.

Vinyl tablecloth is the $6 option and I used one happily for years.  If your budget goes up to $30, look at the microfiber tablecloths at BB&B.  They wash like nobody's business, will bead up spills, etc.  I bought a pale sand one and used it at my mother's house for a CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN party, hehe.  The chocolate totally came out.   :lol:   If you do that, you'll want a pad underneath.  You know even a large piece of felt cut to size would work, doesn't have to be fancy or expensive.  The nice thing about vinyl cloths is they have some padding included to smooth the bumps.  

Or you could put down felt, a printed map or something cool you want to look at, and then buy the clear vinyl (walmart, joanns, etc. sell it) for the cover.  I've always wanted to do that since somebody mentioned it on the board years ago.  :)

Sanding and restaining or painting is easier than you'd think.  Just do the top, and leave the legs.  Annie Sloan Chalk paint is super easy, and you wouldn't even need to sand, unless there is finish peeling up.  Just wipe clean first.  She recommends waxing on top of the paint, but you want to wipe water off of that quickly.  You can put a polyurethane to protect it better, just skip the wax.  Google Annie Sloan Chalk Paint tables, and you'll find lots of ideas.

Vote to paint.  I bought a great solid oak table off Craigslist when we bought our house, pedestal table with leaf for our kitchen.  BUT.  The top really had some issues, minor I guess (scratches, a pen mark) but ugly.

I had just finished my first "refinishing" project (and last)--stripped an old dressing table of my grandmothers, and the chemicals were horrible. So I didn't want to mess with it on this table.

I just went to Walmart and bought glossy latex paint, black--  I sanded the table a little, and painted several coats of black paint, followed by a poly coat to protect it.  It has held up for 4 years so far, with a couple of dings I have had to touch up.  I hated covering the pretty oak, but I could always strip it and refinish it in the future if I feel so inclined, and it looks really good now.

B--

You can go to a fabric store and look around. You can buy lengths of oil cloth and that can often be nicer looking than the cheesy vinyl tableclths many stores sell. I was at a freinds house last week and she had a beautiful one on her table that looked like fabric until you touched it. I have one on my table, but it has been around many years now. One of my kids is a doodler and that is our school table. ;)

https://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/c92_oilcloth-fabric?gclid=Cj0KEQiA1qajBRC_6MO49cqDxbYBEiQAiCl5_E0tVIa1HqOy3lNHvk71ZmsLqF0T2qqkSHmMTQMcCUUaAivX8P8HAQ

This is what we did for many years with an old garage sale table.

We were fortunate a few years ago to find a huge "farmhouse" table at an incredible bargain (less than $200) that was "pre-distressed". I only cover it on occasions when we are using the china or a party table cover.

I use place mats for daily, family meals, and a tablecloth for guests or other special occasions.  If the table is used for Official School Stuff, then I'll use a plastic tablecloth, and take it off when we're finished for the day.

I don't leave a tablecloth on a table if we aren't eating there. :-)

Vinyl tableclothes are $3.97 at WalMart here.  It's not glamorous, but it's a low maintenance solution that is very easy to clean.  Patterns mask small flaws... like my daughter's ink stain that annoys me but you can't really see, unless you're looking for it.

I used a bare table for years but I find the tablecloth easier and more homey.

Vinyl tablecloth is the $6 option and I used one happily for years.  If your budget goes up to $30, look at the microfiber tablecloths at BB&B.  They wash like nobody's business, will bead up spills, etc.  I bought a pale sand one and used it at my mother's house for a CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN party, hehe.  The chocolate totally came out.   :lol:   If you do that, you'll want a pad underneath.  You know even a large piece of felt cut to size would work, doesn't have to be fancy or expensive.  The nice thing about vinyl cloths is they have some padding included to smooth the bumps.  

Or you could put down felt, a printed map or something cool you want to look at, and then buy the clear vinyl (walmart, joanns, etc. sell it) for the cover.  I've always wanted to do that since somebody mentioned it on the board years ago.   :)

They sell fitted vinyl tablecloths as well.

This is what we have always done.

We cover the table with a light tan/ivory colored vinyl cloth.

On top of that, we put a machine washable ivory colored lace cloth (I think I've gotten them at JCPennys in the past).

At meal time, we throw vinyl placemats on top of all of that, that are kind of classy colored (so don't look quite as cheap as they could given that they're vinyl).  In fact, we'll often leave the placemats on all day, for art projects, etc.

We also keep a nice runner on the table (a cloth one  :)).  If I want it to look super nice, in a pinch, all I do is take off the vinyl placemats. 

why don't you refinish the top? (cover the legs as you don't need to finish them.)  it's not hard.  sand it going with grain with an electric sander, put on the stain in the color you want- THEN several coats of marine valspar.   I do four coats as each coat reinforces the previous one and it makes for a very solid finish that is stronger, more durable, and has more visual depth than the spray on crap you get with most of today's furniture.

spills won't hurt it - even if you're not fast in cleaning them up.  (harsh chemicals containing caustic acids might.)  tomato sauce doen'st. dried clay and even dudelings dried on watercolor paints cleaned right up. syrup spills that crystalize doesn't.

I did that with a cheap and very ugly finish table I bought off craigslist and use in my kitchen. it's beautiful.  works great, and wipes clean with a damp rag.  (though sometimes they spill something and I have to scrape - but it is still beautiful after five years.)

and it's a whole lot *cheaper* than a new table.

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone. The table is not solid wood--it's MDF with a veneer. Can I still sand and paint it? It never crossed my mind because I didn't think you could do that to MDF? That's the reason for the lumps and bumps--liquid seeps through the teeny cracks so quickly.

I wouldn't.

I wouldn't.

Darn, that's what I thought. I got excited there for a minute *sigh*

OK, I like the idea of vinyl tablecloths for everyday use and cloth for visitors. I think that will have to be the solution. Now if I can just find some vinyl tablecloths in 70" or 72" square! That's the other problem with this table--it's hard to find square covers in nice patterns (and for less than $60!). I'd be all set if I wanted to cover it in catering tablecloths though :tongue_smilie:

Oops, no I wouldn't sand or paint MDF. Though the Annie Sloan people say that you can.  I haven't tried though.  You might google it though, just to be sure.

Do you have any interest in a map on the table?  You could get a map (or anything pretty that you like to see, fabric, whatever) and have glass cut to fit the table top to protect it.  We looked into this for an MDF table that had lumps and bumps.  We found the right size glass for about $60.  I was so tired of the tablecloths that we were ready to go that route.

But then we got lucky and scored an amazing solid wood table/chairs on CL for $100, so I just went with that option.   :blush: Still, I like the map idea, and fantasize about doing it whether it's necessary or not.  

I use a cloth tablecloth- plain color- and then I have quilted placemats that I made. That way if one gets dirty I can just toss it in the wash and don't have to undress the whole table. 

I also have a matching table runner down the middle of the table so that usually catches any spills from dishing out dinner at the table. 

Oops, no I wouldn't sand or paint MDF. Though the Annie Sloan people say that you can.  I haven't tried though.  You might google it though, just to be sure.

Do you have any interest in a map on the table?  You could get a map (or anything pretty that you like to see, fabric, whatever) and have glass cut to fit the table top to protect it.  We looked into this for an MDF table that had lumps and bumps.  We found the right size glass for about $60.  I was so tired of the tablecloths that we were ready to go that route.

But then we got lucky and scored an amazing solid wood table/chairs on CL for $100, so I just went with that option.   :blush: Still, I like the map idea, and fantasize about doing it whether it's necessary or not.  

I love the map idea, but DH would absolutely hate it. He's very much a "Why can't we keep the school paraphernalia in the schoolroom?" kind of person. I'll keep my eyes peeled for something interesting on CL, maybe.

You know, we've have this table since before we married, and it was such a sleek, hip, lovely table originally. I'm so looking forward to having nice, non-gouged, non-smiley-faced, non-spill-warped home goods again!

We had a table that DD took sharpies too when she was little and trashed it.  It was MDF and veneer - DH refinished it and it looked great.  He was very careful about not sanding away too much of the veneer though.

I see microfiber table clothes mentioned up thread and second that recommendation.  Ol' Sticky Fingers (DD) is a messy eater so my table clothes last a day or two max.  I throw them into the wash when they get dirty and then dry them.  They come out spotless and wrinkless.  

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone. The table is not solid wood--it's MDF with a veneer. Can I still sand and paint it? It never crossed my mind because I didn't think you could do that to MDF? That's the reason for the lumps and bumps--liquid seeps through the teeny cracks so quickly.

depends what the veneer is.  use a gel-stain.

just be sure to *only* take off the varnish layer so the stain will absorb. (you can stain over another stain.)  if the veneer is laminate, just a very fine grit sanding to rough the surface so the gel-stain will adhere.  the table I did is old - but the top was still only a thin veneer. 

at the worst - you can use a paint as an undercoat  and a glaze on top.  (the rustoleum transformations page show alot of possibilities.  I was thinking of using it for my daughters bathrooms - her christmas/birthday present, as her cabinet frames are laminate.  then I found out I can use gel-stain on laminate if I rough the surface first.), the glaze can completely change the appearance and will give it visual depth .  (doesn't take much.  craft stores or speciality paint stores carry them.).  you still want to use the valspar as the finish coats (it's made to be in a wet environment.)

i love the valspar finish as it is very durable, and will easily stand up to kids.  and should stand up to dh, as I used it on his massive desk.  (now, I just need to do the hutch.)

You could still paint it.

We use cheap vinyl placemats.  They were $2 each at WM and they are easy to wipe down after every meal.  I bough extra and when one gets ruined (nail polish remover+12yo girls=disaster) I just pitch it and get out a new one.  If I had to cover my table, I'd put down a tablecloth and insist the kids use the easily cleaned placemats.

our set up is totally different now & I don't have small kids but back when I had a wood dining table, if I used a tablecloth I expected to wash pretty much every day.
For everyday I had white poly/rayon ones. Stains come out easily & if you fold or place on the table the moment it's dry, it doesn't need ironing. I still use those tablecloths for particularly messy & informal meals like curry buffets where things will always be spilled & I don't want to mess with the fancy linens which needs ironing & starching.  

Ikea has these woven placemats that are not fabric. I use them when we eat outside but maybe they'd work for you?  Also, ikea has placemats which are a thick single piece of fabric. They're easier to wash & dry & don't bunch up like the two layer fabric ones do.

Alas. MDF. You still might be able to prime it and paint it. Depending on the look of your dining room, you might make it sort of faux distressed (to hide any real distresses and make it easier to hide any non-perfect painting). That could look cool. I just looked and there are some cool dining table tops that are stenciled. In a funky cool dining room it might look sort of neat.

I'd only cover it for company.  Otherwise, no it's too much of a pain.  Same deal.  Another option is to just remove the table cloth when you eat and put it back on after.  If it's just us I don't care. 

I have zillions of table clothes and place mats.  My inlaws think I like these things I guess.  I don't really use them ever.  Too much work.

I agree there is probably some way to refinish it if it bothers you that much.  They sell products that can refinish just about anything.  Even laminates and plastics and you name it. 

OK, I like the idea of vinyl tablecloths for everyday use and cloth for visitors. I think that will have to be the solution. Now if I can just find some vinyl tablecloths in 70" or 72" square! That's the other problem with this table--it's hard to find square covers in nice patterns (and for less than $60!). I'd be all set if I wanted to cover it in catering tablecloths though :tongue_smilie:

If you'd like microfiber, try Bed, Bath, & Beyond. In store or online: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/bardwil-linens-origins-trade-microfiber-tablecloth/3170231?Keyword=microfiber+tablecloth   70" square.  It will bead up the water, and you can wash off small stains with a rag or sponge.  Thick, so you can flip it over and get an extra day out of it, if you want.  Lots of colors. And, best of all, it's cheap - $20. 

I know someone who had glass cut to fit table top. Her tablecloth goes under it and it is great to wipe clean.

This is what I was going to suggest.  We've had glass cut to protect a table top and a buffet top.  The table top was cheap; I can't remember how much. The buffet top, because it was a more detailed cut out/intricate shape, was a lot more expensive, $100.

We used an auto glass place in a nearby small town.

I love the map idea, but DH would absolutely hate it. He's very much a "Why can't we keep the school paraphernalia in the schoolroom?" kind of person. I'll keep my eyes peeled for something interesting on CL, maybe. 

You know, we've have this table since before we married, and it was such a sleek, hip, lovely table originally. I'm so looking forward to having nice, non-gouged, non-smiley-faced, non-spill-warped home goods again!

What about a vintage (or faux vintage) map? Might up the cool factor enough for your dh, and then, you know, your kids would be the clever homeschool kids who could talk about "back when Myanmar was Siam"...   :-)

Or, is he/are you "into" something? Sailing, rock climbing, etc. That would open up all kinds of possibilities -- a piece of fabric cut to fit with nautical flags, or knots, or....

When I was homeschooling I had a very ugly table that had to be covered. I had many tablecloths . Some I bought fabric and hemmed myself others were clearance tablecloths.

We had some new friends over one night and between the tablecloth and cloth napkins she assumed I was too fancy for her. Later when we became better friends I showed her my ugly table and we both laughed. I now I have a lovely wood table and I ditched the tablecloths. Many of them have become capes for the grandkids. Ă°Å¸Ëœâ‚¬

We just bought this one last week for our brand new table that we want to keep nice:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/hotel-deluxe-vinyl-table-pad/129072?Keyword=vinyl+tablecloth

I bought the 70 square size assuming it would only cover the top of the table but it spills over just like a regular table cloth. I think it looks nice enough to use on its own for day to day stuff and is easy to wipe clean. I also bought a microfiber tablecloth for nicer occasions:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/bardwil-linens-origins-microfiber-tablecloth/3170231

You are in luck!  Look at this  http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/bardwil-linens-origins-trade-microfiber-tablecloth/3170231?categoryId=12142  This is the table cloth I was talking about.  You can get on the email/text list for BB&B and get coupons.  It starts $20 and that's before the coupon!  So for the price of vinyl, you can have a cloth that fits your table!  :)  It comes in a scad of colors, so buy several.  You're not gonna BELIEVE how well this thing washes.  It's the one I was saying released chocolate that was all over it from a chocolate fountain party.  Seriously.  Now I wouldn't take a sharpie to it, but just to eat on, yeah you're gonna love it.  And can't beat the price.  With the coupon you're going to be under $20.  Then just cut a piece of felt for a pad or buy their felt table pad.

Our table is as old as my DH (MIL gave it to us when she moved to a smaller place), and pretty beat up on the surface.  It is a solid table though.  For us, I don't cover it for exactly the reason you stated.  Also, with littles, the times the tablecloth has been pulled and things spilled is to numerous to count.  Therefore, I save the tablecloth for special occasions or when having guests over.