Menu

How long can you comfortably do a standing task?

Stand and walk regularly for 6 hours at work without sitting. Mostly standing in one place at computer but I have an area 3x12 to walk back and forth. Technically I could sit for my 15 min break but most days we are so busy I prefer to keep working.

I'd rather stand than sit too long. I am standing here at this laptop because it's more comfortable. I can do it for hours but I have to move a little - not just standing still. Eventually I collapse into a recliner. :)  Late forties.

I have a part time job at which I walk about three miles and may be on my feet for a solid 8 hours, mostly walking, sometimes standing. While I do get breaks, I usually choose not to sit down because if I do, I lose my momentum! I also carry and lift and bend and twist throughout the work assignment.

Am I fit for it? Not really. I feel every achy muscle and joint the next day. But the duties keep me alert and moving, so it's not hard to keep going.

But at home, when I'm vacuuming and such? I'm a pushover for the recliner chair after 1 room! For me, it's a lot about being mentally engaged in a non-routine activity. Housework, in my own house, is what I imagine what life would be like as an 8-hour-a-day mail sorting worker. Mind numbing.

Oh, I'm early fifties.

Mid 30s, and several hours.  Though, I'm not sure that I'm really conscious of how long I stand without sitting at all.  Today, for example, I worked a booth at a fair for 7 hours.  I remember sitting down a few times, but I was on my feet for the majority of those 7 hours.  I don't think I sat for more than 3 minutes at a stretch.

At home I'm sitting all the time.  Too much.  We have comfortable couches.

comfortably not long, uncomfortably-8 hours.  I do so everytime I go to work at the A&W stand at my prep table for 8 hours making onion rings and other prep.  I often have to put 1 foot up on the bottom shelf of my table to get some relief to my lower back, hip and foot of that leg and then after a while switch. The only time I sit is for my lunch break.  I am late 30s and overweight so I am sure that is playing a part in it.

Standing on one spot and cooking would be a few minutes before I fidget. Moving on one area while cooking or cleaning the stove, a few hours easily. I can stand all day as long as I am in motion. I can't stand completely still for long. I'm 41.

I work standing up so I am conditioned to it.  8 hours is easy for me, 10 hours makes me tired, 12 is harder, but I do it about once a month. Good shoes are vital for that amount of time though, if I was in shoes with no arch, 2-3 hours would do me in.  Im in my 40s.

In my 40's.  I'm not much for sitting if I can help it.  Yet, I'm not too fond of standing still in one spot either.  That's probably not too helpful, eh?  :laugh:   I would say I could stand still at a task, like ironing, for a couple of hours, but it would annoy me and I'd want to be able to move around at least a bit.  If it's a task where I do get to move around a lot, like housecleaning, then I could do a 6-8 hour shift okay -- providing I get a potty break or two if I need it?

I'm in my 40s.

Stuff around the house like doing dishes, maybe a couple of hours. Not that I do a couple of hours. I don't like housework so I am the queen of the 15-minute timer. I'm very short and a lot of things are not ergonomic for me so it gets tiring.

I'm always surprised at how much more I can walk in a busy city or in mountains. I think engagement is a big part of it. In either of those environments I can walk for at least 3-4 hours without resting as long as it's not steep. Walking in a boring place? I feel tired sooner. It's weird.

ETA: Floor surfaces make a difference for me. At our previous house we had a stone floor in the kitchen and it had no give at all. It caused my legs and feet to become tired much faster unless I wore clogs. Our current house has linoleum and it makes a difference.

I can't remember the last time I've needed to sit down from a standing task.  I don't tend to do them for more than a couple of hours at a stretch.  I'm in my fifties, with no chronic illnesses and I'm not overweight - extra weight might make a difference to pressure on joints, back pain, etc..

Now, I get bored and want to do something else, but that's different.

When I was in my thirties, I worked in a department store for eighteen months - I definitely wanted to sit down half way through my eight-hour standing shift there.

L

I routinely am up and doing these days for the better part of 4-7 hours.  I'm in my 40's.  This is mostly running and prepping for concessions (this week, I made 250 buttermilk biscuits, from scratch, 190 eggs...dh did the bacon and sausage), assembled, wrapped, froze...).  Concession days begin for me at 0400, getting things out of the fridge and into coolers, putting some of my frozen stuff back into my freezers...loading the van and heading off to run the event from 0530-0900, get home, get it all inside & put away.

I'm not standing still, though...always walking around.  And,I fall into bed by 7pm.

I also pulled 6 hours straight bagging groceries...

I find I'm okay as long as I keep moving.  If I sit down...it takes a lot more to get back up to speed than I used to.

I'm 51, and I'd say a couple of hours.  And at that time it's not that I'm thinking "I really want/need to sit down," it's more that it feels really nice when I do.  My issue is all about my SI joint.  If I'm standing still or moving in just a smallish space (like cooking) it tends to get very tight and achy after awhile.

I'm in my 40s.

Stuff around the house like doing dishes, maybe a couple of hours. Not that I do a couple of hours. I don't like housework so I am the queen of the 15-minute timer. I'm very short and a lot of things are not ergonomic for me so it gets tiring.

I'm always surprised at how much more I can walk in a busy city or in mountains. I think engagement is a big part of it. In either of those environments I can walk for at least 3-4 hours without resting as long as it's not steep. Walking in a boring place? I feel tired sooner. It's weird.

ETA: Floor surfaces make a difference for me. At our previous house we had a stone floor in the kitchen and it had no give at all. It caused my legs and feet to become tired much faster unless I wore clogs. Our current house has linoleum and it makes a difference.

I have the short/many things aren't ergonomic problem, too.  And I agree on floor surface making a big difference.

For two years either side of being diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma (3yrs ago) I would probably only go about 30 mins, and maximum of around an hour and then need a break of around equal time.  

Nowadays, I'm SO thankful to be feeling better (could be more energetic, but I'm not complaining) I can probably go about 4hrs or so, somedays I'm on my feet for 7hrs, and cope fine.  I help my daughter with her cleaning business, and have done six hour days reasonably easily.  Standing still is much harder - about 20 mins is my limit before I have to move around, or sit down.

Until recently I was working part time in a job that had me on my feet all the time. I rarely bothered to take breaks because it was a pain to stop what I was doing and clean it up for a break, only to take it all out again. So I often was on my feet for almost 6 hours before lunch break. 

But when I'm home doing housework, I want a break after a half hour. I keep wondering WHY that is.  The housework I'm doing isn't difficult.  I have decided it might be because I have nobody to talk to when I'm doing housework and while I was doing my job I always had one or more people to chat with. 

I'm in my 50's.  And my answer is 30 minute or 6 hours. g

I'm 49, and I was diagnosed with neurally-mediated hypotension when I was in my early 30s. Standing still for any significant period of time can be problematic for me. I have this unfortunate tendency to pass out.

Until quite recently, I was able to be on my feet for hours at a time, as long as I could keep moving. So, when I worked retail, I would walk around the store or something. And I could walk for hours. (The joke around the house here is that I'm like the Energizer Bunny: I may not move quickly, but I keep going and going . . .)

However, since the thyroid/heart thing hit, I've been struggling more. I now find that standing for more than 30-45 minutes, even if I can move around a bit, is exhausting. And even walking is wearing me out.

So, with the health-issue stuff in mind: I can be reasonably comfortable doing a standing task for as long as 45 minutes, provided I have some freedom to move around a little. 

I am in my early 40s and I could go all day.

I usually go 2 to 3 hours then come on this forum

to waste time and sit down. Then another 2 to

3 and so on. But last week I went about 4. I

stop and sit because I'm lazy, not because I'm tired.

I'm 37 and my job prior to my current part time one was coaching gymnastics. That required me to be on my feet for long stretches, spotting, and also spending hours on a balance beam. :-) I would say 5-6 hrs before I need/want a break of some kind. 

If it's something fun that requires movement, I can stand up for a long time.  I don't know... all afternoon?  If it's a task like cleaning the kitchen after dinner, I can work in the kitchen for an hour and still feel fine, no need at all to sit down, so I'd just continue on to another standing up task.  But for some reason if it's standing without moving at all -- like in church, I can just feel exhausted so quickly!  I don't know why.  I'm in my early 50's.

Depends on the time of day, for me. Pre-breakfast I have to be careful not to collapse just waiting for my toast to pop up! I'm also pretty wobbly after bathing, and in warm weather. At other times I might be able to stand for ten minutes or so.

Early twenties

Depends on the time of day, for me. Pre-breakfast I have to be careful not to collapse just waiting for my toast to pop up! I'm also pretty wobbly after bathing, and in warm weather. At other times I might be able to stand for ten minutes or so.

Early twenties

Pegs, is there a reason you can only stand for ten minutes at a time?  I ask because I've finally moved up to 15 minutes at a time from only 5 minutes but then I have chronic pain/illness issues.  

Yes, I have chronic pain/illness issues also. The dysautonomia means I don't regulate my HR and BP well, and the mysterious muscle wastage in one leg is just a pain in the bottom, really!

Congrats on your recent improvement :)

I do a lot standing up.  I can stand for a long time, but have never timed it.  As a teacher I was on my feet all day.  I no longer work in the classroom and actually was wondering the other day if I could hack standing all day every day again.

I would say comfortably 3 or so hours right now.  

Late 40s.

Jean, why do you ask? I think you've asked this before. I would think that hearing how everyone else can stand for hours would be disheartening. Instead, let's just celebrate the improvement you've had and not focus on what you can't do. Congratuations that you can stand longer!

Jean, why do you ask? I think you've asked this before. I would think that hearing how everyone else can stand for hours would be disheartening. Instead, let's just celebrate the improvement you've had and not focus on what you can't do. Congratuations that you can stand longer!

I'm asking because the physical therapist and I are looking at long term goals for way way down the line.  

I'm asking because the physical therapist and I are looking at long term goals for way way down the line.

My mom has rheumatoid arthritis. Standing still would be painful on her joints. Pacing or walking on a spot is easy enough for her. My mom had physical theraphy. She is 71.

For me, standing still gives me the pins and needles feeling. I can never do the standing on ceremony for foot drill but have no problem doing the colour party (flag).

My legs can go all day.

My arms? Not long at all. Maybe 20 minutes.

So I could be working all day.

I could not stir risotto or kneed bread or whatever for more than 20 minutes before switching arms and or asking someone to take a spell a bit for me.

I think for standing tasks and not just walking, the ergonomics make such a big difference. DH is tall and while his legs don't tire easily, if he's hunched over the kitchen counter chopping, his back and neck get tired. I'm too short for our counters so if I'm going to be doing a task in one place for awhile I stand on a little stool. Chopping lots of veggies, for example, gets tiring for my shoulder because I have to hunch it to get the knife high enough to cut the veggies. I just put up with it for small tasks, but I will elevate myself if I intend to work in the same place for awhile.

Also, gel mats. They are your friend if you want to stand longer, as are clogs.

So when you're setting goals, consider the ergonomics. You may find you can do more than you thought with the proper posture and support.  :grouphug:

Have you tried compression stockings and/or long socks and tightly laced shoes, Jean? If your deconditioned muscles don't push blood back up out of your legs very effectively, the resulting lowered blood pressure can, IME, contribute to pain and fatigue all over.

Have you tried compression stockings and/or long socks and tightly laced shoes, Jean? If your deconditioned muscles don't push blood back up out of your legs very effectively, the resulting lowered blood pressure can, IME, contribute to pain and fatigue all over.

You know, that's a good idea.  My feet and lower legs are always swollen and the doctor doesn't know what to do about it (diuretics haven't helped).  Compression stockings might help in a couple of different ways.  

I am 33 and my feet are destroyed, multiple surgeries, severe arthritis, etc. I can't stand in one place very long, I've never timed it but I think I would be quite uncomfortable by 20-30 minutes. I can walk for several hours but when I finally get off my feet I am in serious pain.

I have a bum hip and ankle. Quality sneakers, padded floor coverings, strength building and a good chiropractor have been my key to staying mobile. Without exception, my lacking those causes deterioration in my ability to stay in my feet comfortably for long periods of time.

I can't stand for more than 10-15 minutes. I don't know why. There is no specific pain. I can walk all day, every day with only breaks for eating and bathroom and I love walking. I have always been this way. I find cooking difficult and un enjoyable. I also don't think as well standing up. I find standing around listening to a tour guide difficult. I did have a sales job once in my teens that required standing for 3 hours without break and I spent the whole time deeply fantasizing about chairs and at night my legs hurt so much even after baths and massaging them a couple of hours.

Four hours of hard work standing.

Three to six moderate work--a lot depends on how engaged I am.

Standing, about one hour. We stand for church and I will often go the full two hours with only 2 10-second sits to stretch.

Key is good shoes. And a certain amount of expectation.

Oddly, the worst is slow movement. Walking with my dad completely wears me out. Or mall-crawling.

Late 30's.

If I'm engrossed in a task, I usually can do it for a couple of hours or longer without thinking about it.  After maybe three hours, I usually want to sit for a few minutes.  I have trouble believing that many people are really moving for six hours without sitting to have a glass of water or eat lunch or whatever.  I mean, with only short breaks, sure.  I can do that too.  And I could work longer, of course, I just find that even on a busy on my feet day, I end up sitting for a few minutes here and there.

I have trouble believing that many people are really moving for six hours without sitting to have a glass of water or eat lunch or whatever.  I mean, with only short breaks, sure.  I can do that too.  And I could work longer, of course, I just find that even on a busy on my feet day, I end up sitting for a few minutes here and there.

For me (also late 30s) it's harder to sit down for a lunch break and get back up for another 3-4 hours than it is to just stay standing all the time in the first place. Sitting down makes me realize I'm getting tired. I usually eat breakfast and lunch standing up, unless I sit down to eat lunch in a social situation.

After two to three hours it will occur to me that I'd like to sit, but I will avoid it if I have a lot more work to do. I don't think I've ever gotten to the point where I *need* to sit in a normal workday.

Shoes make a big difference for me. I do not wear uncomfortable shoes, however cute.