149 members have voted

1. 1. Cake vs. Pie?

• Pie
    • Cake
    • You're asking me to choose?
    • I hate both pie and cake.
    • Bacon.
    • Obligatory Other

Can't vote... I can eat either (so don't hate them), but never crave either as well.  Which I'd pick at a meal would depend upon the day and how they look, and I pretty much do it just to be polite.

At our house, fruit is often dessert. All sorts of berries and cherries are in season right now.

When I'm by myself, I prefer something salty.  A nice slab of ham (not bacon) would do nicely - or a few potato sticks or chips.

You need pie in the summer, and cake in the winter.

Key lime pie in the summer, or some kind of blueberry-strawberry raw pie made with graham cracker crust. Or cherry

pie, with extra flaky crust.

In the winter, chocolate cake with chocolate sauce.

The only pies good in the fall or winter are pecan and pumpkin.

a good (please note the adjective *good*) blackerry pie will always win hands down, but short of that (and it usually is), most kinds of chocolate cake.

german chocolate,

chocolate cheesecake

marzipan cake (which isn't chocolate)

white-chocolate coconut cake

chocolate hazelnut christmas tree stump

there are others . . . .

Depends on the cake and the pie!  Scratch apple or pecan including homemade crust vs. store bought cake?  Clearly the pie.  Cook's illustrated old fashioned chocolate layer cake (the one with a pound of high quality chocolate in the frosting) vs. a frozen pie?  Duh - the cake!

Generally for me, the less processed the better.  The more high quality chocolate included, the better.  Fresh fruits in pie?  Yum yum! I hate most store bought cakes with that nasty, gritty overly sweet frosting.  Blech.  I also don't like pre-made pie crusts and canned pie fillings all taste like processed garbage to me.  I usually only do desserts of they're way over the top high quality and from scratch.  If it's all processed stuff, give me bacon!

a good (please note the adjective *good*) blackerry pie will always win hands down, but short of that (and it usually is), most kinds of chocolate cake.

marzipan cake (which isn't chocolate)

Marzipan cake sounds intriguing. Do you have a recipe?

My son's pumpkin pie!  Yeah!!!  It is AWESOME!  (and some of the extended family request that instead of birthday cake)

Certain fruit pies served warm with ice cream, especially in winter.

Lemon chess pie.

Chocolate pie.

But there are certain cakes that I really love.  White chocolate icing and shavings over vanilla cake with raspberry crème inside.  Yellow cake with chocolate icing and chocolate morsels.  I know there are others, but I can't think of them right now.

Pie. I will make pies for holidays and Sunday dinners and stuff but I usually bake exactly 2 cakes a year. I have two sons so there you go. This year I also made an apple cake on a whim, a bundt cake for the hell of it and I baked a cake for my niece. So that makes 5 in 12 months. A record for sure.

Pie all the way because you get sweet and salty and pies can be less sweet than most cakes. Blueberry, apple, lemon and chocolate are our favorite pies.

I voted that I hate both. That's not really true, but I will always prefer my Breyer's Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream to any other dessert.  For example, I made peach cobbler yesterday.  My kids have had some, and dh has had at least three servings.  I haven't tasted it yet and may not--my favorite ice cream's in the freezer!

You need pie in the summer, and cake in the winter.

Key lime pie in the summer, or some kind of blueberry-strawberry raw pie made with graham cracker crust. Or cherry

pie, with extra flaky crust.

In the winter, chocolate cake with chocolate sauce.

The only pies good in the fall or winter are pecan and pumpkin.

GASP!  What about apple pie? Our tradition is to pick apples on the autumn equinox to make apple pie.

I wanted to pick both that I hate pie and cake and the obligatory other. I went with other though since I can only choose one. I will eat a small piece of brownie if given the choice but if it's only cake or pie, I usually don't have anything. Every now and then I'll have some carrot pie, but that's it. That is the only pie that I like every once in awhile.

That being said, I know how to make some pretty amazing cakes, and pies and I know they taste good, they just aren't my thing. I would rather snack on a salad or some nuts then eat cake and pie (except for the very, very occasional carrot pie).

I put cheesecake in the pie category since it has a graham cracker crust. No self respecting cake would give itself a crust of any kind.

And that pake is an abomination. I need to bleach my eyes.

You know I was going to say it seems more like a pie to me but went with the cake category...so I guess I can be in both!