Menu

Are you outdoorsy?

All the summer talk has me excited :) 

I'm outdoorsy. I dream of an outdoor house. A patio dining room, hammocks and swing beds for sleeping, a gazebo sitting room, a beach within walking distance. Sigh. 

I have tried for years to talk my husband into a yurt http://www.pacificyurts.com/

Before we bought this house, I tried to convince him to live in a tent, camper, or pop up trailer that we could move from one state park to another-they have bathrooms and showers, and they are cheap!

My favorite day out is hiking in the woods. I wish we had real beaches within driving distance. I love the outdoors.

I love to curl up with a good book-in a camping chair or on a beach towel.

What about the rest of you? Outdoorsy? Indoorsy? What do you love about either? 

In the winter, I'm inside most of the time unless I have to care for animals. I HATE being cold. I will do some cross country skiing and I used to skate a fair amount, but not much the last couple years. In the summer, I'm only inside if I'm sick or it's raining really hard. Otherwise, I'll be in the pen with the horses, fiddling around in my garden, sitting against my trees reading, biking with the kids, fishing or laying on the beach at the river, hunting for wildflowers with the kids, trail riding with friends, or numerous other things. I like the sunshine and I find the outdoors make me feel much more stable emotionally.

I really don't think I was supposed to be born this far up north. The winters almost kill me. Too much inside and not enough sunshine.

I'm fairly outdoorsy, but living where I do you don't have much of a choice.  I do a lot of hiking, snowshoeing, hanging out at the beach in the summer, etc.  I mean, I'm not going to trudge off into the wilderness with just a bow and arrows and a piece of flint anytime in the near future, but I spend a lot of time outside.

Mergath, where do you live?

Dory, I have only ever had two real winters, in Chicago and nothern Nevada. I was still outside as much as I could be, but it wasn't super fun. I don't miss that cold. Brrr. Even here is Louisiana, the winters are not fun. At least I don't have to deal with snow suits.

I wish we lived in a place with nicer weather. I grew up in So Cal. I took perfect weather for granted.

I don't do critters. If it wasn't for them, I'm sure I would enjoy the outdoors. I like the weather. I like walking on hiking trails. I just hate any critter that gets near me. I can't even work in our yard because I encountered a small snake when I was moving pine needles off my driveway, and a frog sitting in the middle of one of my hostas plant. I nearly had a heart attack both times.

We're outdoorsy.  The better the weather has been, the worse my house looks.  We hike, camp, travel, raise ponies, garden, scuba (must travel for this), and just plain enjoy walks outside if nothing else.

I could backpack the Earth for the rest of my days if my bank account would allow it.

I am!  However, my body revolts in extreme temperatures.  Mostly extreme heat *with humidity* (I'm fine in heat with low humidity), and temps under 20 degrees F. And I hate bugs.  A lot.  And I hate the desert.  If there's no active greenery then I feel like my soul is being ripped out.  I get serious depression if I'm not outside for awhile.  This winter was really bad for me.  Then as soon as it hit 45 we went for a hike in the woods and it was like angels singing.  I need to be in the woods to feel alive.  Ideally, I'd like a log cabin in the woods with no neighbors within like 10 miles and then a culturally diverse mediumish town 30 minutes away.  In Oregon.  Can you tell I plan this out a lot?  Now I just need to win the lottery. 

I'm also just a backwards hillbilly who never wears shoes unless there are legal ramifications.  I like to climb trees and rocks and go off trail.  I like cooking over fires and eating wild greens I find (properly identified, of course).  My kids inherited this all for me and I inherited it from my Mom.  Dh is pretty outdoorsy, too.  We are known to pick up and drive a day away to go to a cave or forest we haven't seen if we get an extra $20. :D

Think of the least outdoorsy person you know. I'm less outdoorsy than that.

Thanks to my Keurig and Amazon Prime, I can go days without ever leaving the house. And I'm fine with that.

Enjoy your activities! 

Sister!  Where have you been all my life?  LOL...  Seriously, I'm like this, too (okay, minus the Keurig).  I absolutely LOVE the days when I don't have to leave the house for anything.  The most "outdoors" I enjoy is my screened porch when it's raining. :D

I'm outdoorsy in theory :lol: For example I love the *idea* of Dory's bucolic description. It sounds so sane and nourishing, a wonderfully visceral touchstone in our increasingly electronic and virtual world...

In the summer, I'm only inside if I'm sick or it's raining really hard. Otherwise, I'll be in the pen with the horses, fiddling around in my garden, sitting against my trees reading, biking with the kids, fishing or laying on the beach at the river, hunting for wildflowers with the kids, trail riding with friends, or numerous other things. I like the sunshine and I find the outdoors make me feel much more stable emotionally.

However, the theoretical me and the actual me are not yet on a first-name basis. Occasionally we wave to each other if we happen to bump into each other. Once in awhile we collide which is generally a happy occurrence. But for the most part I'm indoors more than outdoors.

When we lived in HI everything except our sleeping quarters was outside and I loved that. Nothing like waking from sleep to use the outhouse and staggering from one dream into the star-studded jungle of another.

Strawberrymama, you've described me! It gets cold here in the winter, but I feel so much better if I get outside in the fresh air regularly. I would love a house where I could open the whole thing up and have it be open air. I would even enjoy spending the summer in the mountains living in a wall tent ala Mary Jane's Farm. My husband's idea of roughing it is going without TV and air conditioning, so I continue to dream on....

Well, I wouldn't have ever called myself outdoorsy.

But.

I've discovered that I like it more than I thought. As a kid I was always outside, of course, and my grandparents did what they could hiking trails with me and stuff when I was little. I've never minded being outside, really.

As spring has come and summer creeps nearer, I find myself liking being out there, but only if there is an occasion for it. I don't love just sitting there doing nothing when it's muggy out - but I don't mind it if there's so ring to do. We've already done s'mores and hot dogs over the fire once this season and I'm feeling like it needs to be a weekly thing. ;). Especially the s'mores part.

And I love water. A pool, outside...<3

Nope! My dh says I decorate with tree/flower pictures so I never have to actually go outside :-) My dh wanted to camp when we were first married. I saw no point in paying money to sleep on top of dirt. We compromised with him buying a travel trailer with a bathroom & kitchen and even that is a stretch for me. If I really push myself I can tolerate about once a year. I love to look at nature, from inside my house.

I like the idea of being outdoorsy.  When I was growing up we'd do trailer camping and short, easy hikes.  Loved it!

Then I had to do field work for my degree.  Snakes, ticks, spiders, bear attacks at the tent next to mine, and deadly falls off cliffs in the class after mine, kind of ruined it for me. To say nothing about all the high-altitude hiking in high heat and humidity, when my body absolutely abhors both those things.

I remember reading an essay by an author I greatly admire about how camping and survivalism-type stuff is only fun when you know that there's a good hospital within a few hours' drive, and a comfy home with food and money to come home to.  And I realized....yeah, he's right.  So now I'm mostly a "drink on the patio" type of outdoorsy person. :D

Think of the least outdoorsy person you know. I'm less outdoorsy than that.

Thanks to my Keurig and Amazon Prime, I can go days without ever leaving the house. And I'm fine with that.

Enjoy your activities! 

The only reason I can't claim to be Belacqua's equal is that I like to be outside in my garden. Otherwise, it's out for the morning watering and weeding and back into my hermetically sealed house I go. I WISH I were outdoorsy, and I feel a lot of guilt that I'm not...but I'm just not *sigh* I read that Bill Bryson book about hiking the Appalachian Trail, and I was so inspired that I texted DH to ask if he'd ever like to hike the trail for a few weeks once the kids are grown. He didn't even respond :lol:

Sister!  Where have you been all my life?  LOL...  Seriously, I'm like this, too (okay, minus the Keurig).  I absolutely LOVE the days when I don't have to leave the house for anything.  The most "outdoors" I enjoy is my screened porch when it's raining. :D

My soul mates!!!  It is so good to find you!   :laugh:   I am the same way.  I love, love, love the days when I don't have to leave the house.  And I really try to avoid anything outside-related completely.  

I went outside once.  The graphics weren't so good.

:laugh:

Just kidding.  I'm not outdoorsy, but I do enjoy spending evenings around our fire pit and we bought our house because it backs to a nature reserve - so we have a nice view.  I love where I live because we have all four seasons and each has their own beauty.  However,  I'm not the sitting on the patio with a drink person either.  I'm willing to go a bit further out...to the fire pit.

No, not really.  I don't like camping out at all.  I enjoy fishing if they're biting and only for a short time, not all day long.  I like planting my flowers and sitting on the front porch swing but that's about it for me.

ETA:  I love sunny days.  Can't stand cloudy or gloomy days where you feel like you have to be inside.

Where I live, the gnats swarm me. In my hair, eyes, ears...I hate it. They seem to only bother me too. That, combined with my fair, freckled very burnable skin makes me want to stay in. I always LOVE to see Fall come.

I burn horribly.  I'm like a vampire-super pale and start steaming in the sun.  That's why I like the woods.  I'm definitely not a sun person.  I like putting my toes in the sand at the beach...if it's cloudy or rainy out. 

Dh is pretty outdoorsy, too.  We are known to pick up and drive a day away to go to a cave or forest we haven't seen if we get an extra $20. :D

We escape for times like this too.  We also plan almost every vacation around nature spots (esp National or State Parks) and have been known to add days/miles to a trip to see something since we're already so close to it, after all.  ;)

For now?  Hubby and I just came in from taking a walk outside - which led to walking around our pond and getting some gorgeous Lilies as a bouquet for my table - which led to capturing an escaped chick (our chickens) - which led to more outdoor time simply enjoying the cool breeze and time.  Now it's dark and he needs to get back to work, but what a wonderful break!

I am! However, my body revolts in extreme temperatures. Mostly extreme heat *with humidity* (I'm fine in heat with low humidity), and temps under 20 degrees F. And I hate bugs. A lot. And I hate the desert. If there's no active greenery then I feel like my soul is being ripped out. I get serious depression if I'm not outside for awhile. This winter was really bad for me. Then as soon as it hit 45 we went for a hike in the woods and it was like angels singing. I need to be in the woods to feel alive. Ideally, I'd like a log cabin in the woods with no neighbors within like 10 miles and then a culturally diverse mediumish town 30 minutes away. In Oregon. Can you tell I plan this out a lot? Now I just need to win the lottery.

I'm also just a backwards hillbilly who never wears shoes unless there are legal ramifications. I like to climb trees and rocks and go off trail. I like cooking over fires and eating wild greens I find (properly identified, of course). My kids inherited this all for me and I inherited it from my Mom. Dh is pretty outdoorsy, too. We are known to pick up and drive a day away to go to a cave or forest we haven't seen if we get an extra $20. :D

So no building a cabin next door?

I'm starting to think here that maybe I should be mildly happy about the cold winter. It means that we don't have snakes, ticks, or poisonous spiders in the summer. If we had those I would NOT be an outdoorsy type of girl anymore.

Am I outdoorsy? -- No.

As my dh would say, the outdoors is great if it wasn't for all the nature. :lol:

Humidity, allergies, the sun, and insects are what keep me from being more outdoorsy. Dh is actually outdoors a lot.

I like canoeing, the beach, and parks that aren't too busy. I am afraid of ticks. My brother had rocky mount spotted tick fever when we were children.

Mosquitoes harass me. My dad would say that a mosquito would fly from Texas just to find me :lol:. I don't know why, but I react strongly to them too. I am easily freaked by almost all insects.    

I am fair and burn very, very easily.

As a few others have said, I love the idea of the outdoors.  I like being in my yard (okay, mostly on my deck) in town... we have grass, trees, and birds, but also creature comforts.  And I like eating outside on a patio overlooking the lake at a couple of restaurants in the area.  But I don't camp, I don't really hike, and I a bit addicted to wi-fi.  :D

I also love days where I don't have to leave the house, but I need a balance... I can't go, go, go every day, but if I'm home several days in a row, especially if it's nice outside, I get stir-crazy!

We've tossed around the idea of an acreage.  I like the idea of open space and neighbors that aren't quite as close.  But we really can't be too far out of town.  I mean, there are critters out there.  And slow internet.  And a very loooong drive to Target.  :leaving:

I'm not so much indoorsy as intensely introverted. I like the idea of an acreage in theory, but since I live in da hood of the major city of a rural county and am getting too old for my back-to-the-land fantasies of building my own house and growing my own food, I'm perfectly happy leaving my house once a week and very grateful for my postage-stamp sized but very private back yard even though my landlord won't let me grow anything in it except dandelions.

I don't get lonely because most of my friends live inside my computer and the ones who don't come knock on my door if I disappear for too long.

I was an outdoorsy kid. Now, although I'm still very active and athletic, I am not outdoorsy at all. I have severe environmental allergies (year-round, but worse in the spring) and an autoimmune disease that is aggravated by too much sunlight or extreme cold. I can manage being outdoors for specific activities or sports, but spending a full day outside usually isn't worth it for me because it will take me several days to recover. Thankfully, Dh is outdoorsy enough to get the kids outside every day, but not outdoorsy enough to want me to go hiking or do other silly outdoor activities with him. 

All the summer talk has me excited :)

I'm outdoorsy. I dream of an outdoor house. A patio dining room, hammocks and swing beds for sleeping, a gazebo sitting room, a beach within walking distance. Sigh. 

I have tried for years to talk my husband into a yurt http://www.pacificyurts.com/

LOL, this is my husband's retirement plan.  Kids grow up, go away, we buy a yurt, a woodstove, and two recliners. :)

When I grew up, my parents idea of camping was a tent by a river.  I hadn't camped at a campground until I was in high school with friends.  So, yes, I think of us as outdoorsy, though when we spent time in Oregon, compared to the Midewest, that's a whole different level of outdoorsy, lol.

This summer we are expecting a sweet baby around mid to late July so I suspect I won't be in the mood for hot or humid.  We'll see.  :P

I love nature ..so long as I don't have to interact with it :)

As a kid I stayed inside and read. I haven't changed much except now I read an IPad.

Can't stand bugs, can't stand dirt, can't stand a simple breeze. LOL. I like my enviroment controlled.

I'm probably the only Australian who can't stand the beach.

I love being outdoors, but on my own terms.....  Nothing new there.  I love to flower and (newly this year) veggie garden.  I love country walks but am more comfortable on pretty well-marked trails.  I will camp but it's not something I would seek out.  Sitting on beaches I find really boring, but I'll walk along a beach and have a drink in a beachside bar with you.

L