Menu

Where do you want to retire?

Chris in VA

We won't be able to stay in this Rectory forever. We own another home, but it is NOT where I want to be.

Where do YOU want to retire? Will you move? Be near kids/family?

Or maybe you are not planning to retire at all?

Talk to me! Dream a little, but tell me where you think you will go, if you have a clue.

We like Belize, but violence against Americans is on the rise. So we are considering Guatamala. But, this is about 12 years off yet, so things can change quite a bit in that time.

We'll also look at Jamaica, Panama City, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, New Zealand, and a few other locations none of which are in the U.S. We hope to retire abroad, but it is difficult to say if we will be able to do so.

I've decided that I don't want to retire. I want to find some meaningful work to do for as long as I can do it. But in my golden years, I want to live in Boise, Idaho. It's big enough, but not too big and there are many things there that I like to do. It's got an airport so that I can fly to see my kids as they might be scattered around.

I want to retire near my kids, which will hopefully be nearish other family. 

I hope to retire in a smaller place that requires no work, such as a condo or apartment. Or a place of some kind where things are in very good shape and outside stuff is taken care of by not me.

I want it to be a town/city like this one were everything is walking distance. 

I think my dh will officially retire from his paid job, only to do something else at home.   It will free us up to move.

I want to be somewhat centrally located to my children.  With 6 kids that will be hard.  One child will most likely stay in the immediate DC metro area (although NOT in Mont.Co. $$) since her dh is a priest at a small mission church and his parents live here too.  The others are unknown, but I can't expect them to all land here.

I'd *love* to live near the Mnts. of TN or up in PA.  Somewhere near a church or monastery is a must. 

I am surprised at the amount of active church people I know, who retired and moved away, and never gave a thought to how close/far away a church would be.  Really?? Church was that important when you were working, but no thought at all when moving away??  I don't get it. 

We won't retire either. 

I do wish I lived somewhere warm, near sand. I would also be concerned about the general attitudes of people where I lived. It doesn't seem like I have to drive very far from my home before we leave a bubble where things like racism are at least tamped down a bit. My godmother moved to a beautiful low cost of living area several years ago. At the time they needed to be near a military medical facility for my godfather's ongoing care. They built a house that is completely wheel chair accessible. But the major thing that has been hard is the level of ignorance in attitudes of the area--which surprised me a bit too. I would think an area with a heavy military presence would be better on these measures. When her dd got divorced she moved with her children to the town where her parents settled. The experience in school was devastating to her children who are biracial. So, she moved away. She and the grandchildren visit, but do not live close. My godmother has taken on advocacy for the son of the CNA who cared for my godfather--again a school's issue trying to prevent the young many from taking any courses that would be considered basic college prep. She also took on an advocacy role for a mentally disabled man who lives and works near her home. She's good at these roles, but she is totally disgusted with the fact that at this date she (or someone) still needs to do this. 

I'd like to find out more about social structures in a community before putting down roots. 

I don't know if we'll ever retire, but we talk about moving to downtown St. Louis after all of our children are grown, and living right by Busch Stadium. We figure we can both get jobs there, and then we'll get to be at every Cardinals game! :)

I want to stay in my area, just in a different house. While things change, it seems like two of my chidren will stay around here. I'm also going to see if I can get my mom to move here when my grandmother passes away. I want to care for her the way she's cared for my grandmother. I'm a homebody and have no desire to travel so our retirement is going to be hopefully quiet.

We've thought about this a little, but there are so many choices. There is a whole world of interesting places, but maybe I'll be ready to settle down by then. The most likely option is probably near the Tetons in either Idaho or Wyoming, although I'd also love to live near the ocean. We might see where our children end up and try to live near them if they have children.

No matter what, though, it will need to have seasons. This "eternal spring" in my current city isn't my thing. I'd also like to be further from the equator so that there are bigger changes in daylight hours throughout the year.

We won't be able to stay in this Rectory forever. We own another home, but it is NOT where I want to be.

Where do YOU want to retire? Will you move? Be near kids/family?

Or maybe you are not planning to retire at all?

Talk to me! Dream a little, but tell me where you think you will go, if you have a clue.

I think we will likely retire where we are. I grew up here and raised my kids here and will bury our parents here, and it is home. However, if none of my children live here, I will consider moving near one of them. I consider it a huge gift to us that my widowed MIL moved here at 70 from cross country. We would be in a pickle if she hadn't. Or she would be in a pickle and we would have massive guilt.

We would like to retire somewhere that has lots of wide open space, big house with a wrap around porch and I can putter outside in the garden and flower garden.  I don't want to see a neighbors house from mine and I want peace and quiet.  The place must have all seasons.  Those are my requirements.  

I really don't know. I'm in this area until my parents are gone at least. If ds follows his plans and moves away, I won't stay here. I hate the weather. I would consider someplace like the PNW because of the forests and ocean, but I'd probably move for a job and then retire. I'd like to live abroad for a time, would love to have an extended study in England and trace family history. 

I adore my house and could be happy in it forever, I'm just not as fond of the weather or limited resources in a small town. 

At least near ONE of our children!  We're very open, although we will not stay where we are.  If we can be of help to any of our children (help with childcare, or whatever), we would be open to moving near them.  I anticipate my children being spread out all over-  one in California, one in NYC, one in Costa Rica, one in the Midwest...  I guess we will definitely need to live near a major airport!

I think that we will stay in our current house after we retire.  I suspect that we will either buy a second house someplace else (the Carolinas, maybe?) or just spend a large part of the year traveling.  We would like to travel to various places around the U.S. and Europe/Australia and spend a few months in each place.

I don't expect to live near my children.  If they happen to settle near us, great.  However, we won't be moving to settle near them.

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere with a piece of land that backs on on three sides to national forest. 

"Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee,

And live alone in the bee-loud glade."

I'm hunting for the house of Tom Bombadil I think.

I think my dh will officially retire from his paid job, only to do something else at home.   It will free us up to move.

I want to be somewhat centrally located to my children.  With 6 kids that will be hard.  One child will most likely stay in the immediate DC metro area (although NOT in Mont.Co. $$) since her dh is a priest at a small mission church and his parents live here too.  The others are unknown, but I can't expect them to all land here.

I'd *love* to live near the Mnts. of TN or up in PA.  Somewhere near a church or monastery is a must. 

I am surprised at the amount of active church people I know, who retired and moved away, and never gave a thought to how close/far away a church would be.  Really?? Church was that important when you were working, but no thought at all when moving away??  I don't get it. 

I miss the mountains of NC at times.  Occasionally, I think about retiring there.  D.C. would be difficult -- super expensive, as I'm sure you know!

I guess I don't understand your last paragraph though -- generally, aren't there churches in most places???

Dh wants to have a "retirement career" of moving to whatever the big expat hotspot is then and opening a little diner so they can all have their American burgers and breakfast food. As long as it is somewhere with a beach it is fine with me.

I hope we can stay here in Maine (and of course that DS stays close by!), though I can see having a second place somewhere warmer where we can sneak off to for part of the winter. I can't think of anywhere appealing much south of here though, but we have plenty of time to figure it out!

I think I'd want to stay near my friends and kids. The idea of starting over and trying to make new friends in my 60s sounds exhausting. But if the kids both moved away, I may move away to be near them.

I would like a tiny little house that requires almost no work from me. I might like a condo, but I had bedbugs once and am afraid we'd get them again from other people in the building. A tiny little yard that someone else tends to. No basement, no upstairs.

We like Belize, but violence against Americans is on the rise. So we are considering Guatamala. But, this is about 12 years off yet, so things can change quite a bit in that time.

We'll also look at Jamaica, Panama City, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, New Zealand, and a few other locations none of which are in the U.S. We hope to retire abroad, but it is difficult to say if we will be able to do so.

Ooooo Central America, I will meet you there! That's right up my alley. :)

We used to dream of getting a nice RV in retirement and traveling around the country full time (or almost full time).  I still think it sounds like a great plan, except for the fact that we're very tied in to our parish and sacramental life now and wouldn't want to be away for more than a week at a time here and there.  So maybe we'll stay settled here, but fly places to visit. If we don't stay in this house, I could dream of getting a small place on Puget Sound somewhere just a ferry ride away from Seattle (with the drive to the ferry being very short, or even walkable).  Then our kids/grandkids could perhaps come vacation with us.  That'd be fun.  It'd have to be near a parish or monastery (and we do have a monastery on an island here).

I would love to stay here in south central PA. I can definitely see giving the house, or selling it at a low price, to one of the kids, with the condition that they would have to let DH and me stay on the property. They'd get more house and land than a young family could afford, and we could stay in the area we love. And I'd have access to my grandbabies (which worries me a little -- I have so many boys, and I'm afraid their wives will want their own moms around more than me). I think I'd be a very non-interfering grandmother/MIL, the helpful kind. We could build a small house on the property, and everyone would have their space but also the ability to be together and help,each other. Our neighbor did that when his aging dad was sick; he and his wife built a small house on the edge of his parents' property, and now that his dad has passed away, he's still able to help his mom and care for the cows.

This is interesting to me. What are the logistics if you wish you retire outside your country of citizenship. Can I just show up in Jamaica and say I want to live there now. What about residency / taxes, and all that pesky stuff?

I would like to retire near the ocean. I don't see it happening though. I think we will be working until we drop. Retirement funding has taken a huge hit during the recession and honestly, while I still feel fit enough to work, I will probably want to work. Perhaps find a job near the sea?  :) Cost of living is rather high over there which is another factor. So...lots of trips westward...renting vacation homes.

I don't know.  It recently hit me that when I am old enough to call it quits, most of the people in my life will be gone or on their way out.  I will be pretty much alone, except for (hopefully) visits from my daughters.

Therefore I'd like to live someplace where life is really easy, safe, simple.  I'd like to have a small house that I can keep up with, weather I can deal with, accessibility to the arts, fresh air and green growing things to look at.  If I still have any family/friends, I'd like to be close to them; otherwise, who cares where....

I miss the mountains of NC at times.  Occasionally, I think about retiring there.  D.C. would be difficult -- super expensive, as I'm sure you know!

I guess I don't understand your last paragraph though -- generally, aren't there churches in most places???

yes, but if you're a Lutheran, 7th Day Adventist, Orthodox or Catholic or some such you want to find a church within your tradition.  It's not that they aren't around, but that they can be far away.  As we age, we drive less and less - so being 30-45min from a church is a huge deal for someone who is 70 or 80, compared to someone who is 30-40. 

At our Lutheran church, there was a couple who were practically founders of the parish... extremely active in the church for many, many years.  I think her dad has been a pastor out the midwest or something - so very steeped in the tradition.    They moved to the beaches and oops, discovered the only Lutheran church was quite a distance away.  Her dh became blind (partly why he finally retired) and their church attendance went way down.  When they came back to visit the area, she mentioned that they were sad they'd lost that connection.   They could have easily found a community closer to the church, but somehow it wasn't something they considered when they found the place to live (or they didn't realize it would be a big deal).

Why are you so interested in Central America?  Cost of living?  I'd love to do that too (dh and I already look at apartments online in our favorite South American city!) but I'm mostly worried about health care.  My elderly parents are dealing with availability of healthcare issues right now (in a remote part of the US), which is why it's at the top of my concerns.

We used to dream of getting a nice RV in retirement and traveling around the country full time (or almost full time).  I still think it sounds like a great plan, except for the fact that we're very tied in to our parish and sacramental life now and wouldn't want to be away for more than a week at a time here and there.  So maybe we'll stay settled here, but fly places to visit. If we don't stay in this house, I could dream of getting a small place on Puget Sound somewhere just a ferry ride away from Seattle (with the drive to the ferry being very short, or even walkable).  Then our kids/grandkids could perhaps come vacation with us.  That'd be fun.  It'd have to be near a parish or monastery (and we do have a monastery on an island here).

Moving away from my parish will be very hard too.  I love my church community and consider them my 2nd family.  But, I just don't see us living in this area after we retire.  Taxes are killing us, it's becoming even more snobby and unfriendly, and I'm just getting more and more unhappy with this immediate area.   We could still live in MD - but probably too far to travel to our current parish. 

So many conflicting desires. I'd like to be near my kids and grandkids, wherever they are.

I dream of living in northern Michigan for summers. In the winter I'd like to switch over to somewhere pleasantly warm. A beach would be nice.

I also dream of tons of travel.

We'll either retire in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle or Portland) or abroad. I will not retire somewhere tropical or without seasons, but I don't want harsh winters either, so that makes retiring abroad a little more difficult. We are in a tropical place now and I am not a fan at all. When we leave here we'll be going to Maryland, I've never really lived on the East coast before so if I enjoy that maybe we'll stay there. Dh isn't even 30 yet, so retirement is a long way off. :)

This is interesting to me. What are the logistics if you wish you retire outside your country of citizenship. Can I just show up in Jamaica and say I want to live there now. What about residency / taxes, and all that pesky stuff?

We'll start out with a job in country since dh's speciality in IT is in demand all over the world. So he'll be earning money in cuntry and have to pay taxes. I'll look for music gigs wherever I can. We'll renew our residency visa when he retires as many times as they'll let us. But, it's not entirely fleshed out yet because we have a lot of research to do and haven't settled on a country yet. We almost went to Thailand a few years ago, but coukdn't take dh's mother because their immigration is tight and one can't come into the country as a retiree unless they are the legal dependent of the worker who is employed there. We couldn't leave her because his brother and sister refuse to help. By the time we choose to move, there is virtually no chance mil will still be living.

I think I want to retire to Canada.  No matter what, I look at it as my home.  I will probably move back to Ontario and be around my family (assuming they are still there) or maybe to Nova Scotia, which is where my father's family comes from and where generations of our people have been buried.  I see myself on an acreage with fruit trees, a garden, and forest.  But how realistic this is with the healthcare and other help requirements of old age... not sure.  Maybe I will just have a small apartment in a big city.

DH wants to retire somewhere outside of Canada where our savings and any pension would be worth more.   We are still 30ish years away from retirement so who knows.

yes, but if you're a Lutheran, 7th Day Adventist, Orthodox or Catholic or some such you want to find a church within your tradition.  It's not that they aren't around, but that they can be far away.  As we age, we drive less and less - so being 30-45min from a church is a huge deal for someone who is 70 or 80, compared to someone who is 30-40. 

At our Lutheran church, there was a couple who were practically founders of the parish... extremely active in the church for many, many years.  I think her dad has been a pastor out the midwest or something - so very steeped in the tradition.    They moved to the beaches and oops, discovered the only Lutheran church was quite a distance away.  Her dh became blind (partly why he finally retired) and their church attendance went way down.  When they came back to visit the area, she mentioned that they were sad they'd lost that connection.   They could have easily found a community closer to the church, but somehow it wasn't something they considered when they found the place to live (or they didn't realize it would be a big deal).

I can understand all that.  But, retirement is such a complex issue anymore.  People have to consider cost of living, climate (including how prone it is to extreme weather), tax burden, health care (quality and affordability), senior community support networks, distance to family, transportation options (for when they can't drive anymore), and so forth.

I think the whole model of people driving 10 to 30 minutes to church every Sunday is eventually doomed the same way the suburban lifestyle of commuting to work by personal auto is, by the advent of very high fuel costs as oil becomes more scarce.  Yeah, electric and hydro cell cars are being developed, but there will be a difficult transition period. And during that period, I think that the paradigm shift from driving to workplaces and churches and schools and so forth 10 or 15 miles away to mostly public transport, biking, walking, etc. will not be quickly overturned, as the pain of paying high fuel costs and the vulnerability it presents, won't be easily forgotten.

Which means that unless someone can take a bus or walk to church, a lot of people are going to find it difficult to get to that "perfect" church that has the nice facade, and beautiful property, but is located on a busy boulevard with no easy pedestrian access, 10 miles away from home.  It used to be that people went to neighborhood churches. Nowadays, people drive all over tarnation, and distance from church doesn't seem to be a big priority when people buy homes.  It would be strange for retirement to suddenly overturn decades of habitual prioritization of home/work/family/schools first, and church sort of slotted in there. I think they take it for granted that they can just drive to the next town to get to their favored church or parish. 

Of course, there are exceptions!  Some folks plan where they live based on how close houses of worship are.  Living in a "satellite" city in the Dallas/ Fort Metroplex, I wish communities were designed to be so much more efficient than they are now.  That, if I wanted, I could walk or bus to work, walk to the grocer's market, walk to a church, school, library, etc.  Those type of homes are typically in the downtown area though, and are out of my price range!

Why are you so interested in Central America? Cost of living? I'd love to do that too (dh and I already look at apartments online in our favorite South American city!) but I'm mostly worried about health care. My elderly parents are dealing with availability of healthcare issues right now (in a remote part of the US), which is why it's at the top of my concerns.

We've always wanted to live in and explore another culture. We are very globally minded. Flights overseas are very expensive out of Detroit since we aren't centrally located to anything, and we really don't want to be merely tourists anyway. We'd like to stay in one place at least two years, but it would be easier for home base to be somewhere besides the US for convenience. Rooted in Belize, Guatamala, Costa Rica....makes the Carribean, South America, and the rest of Central America close at hand and reasonably priced to explore compared to constantly originating travel from Michigan. Our dd and her hubby would also like to travel so we hope to provide a base for them to use. We haveno problem coming home to the states to see grandchildren and we'd love to host grandma and grandpa camp wherever we land.

We also think the US is going to get a lot worse economically before it gets better so our retirement money may go farther elsewhere.

We plan on being involved in international churches and community projects. It won't be a sit around and wait for something to happen retirement!

I like it here, but it's sensible to be near our children when we are old, so I'll have to see where they settle down.  We won't get pensions until we are 66 and 67 respectively, and don't intend to stop working then.  We did a lot of travelling when we were young, so I think we are happy to just carry on earning our livings for as long as we can.

L

We also think the US is going to get a lot worse economically before it gets better so our retirement money may go farther elsewhere.

I can't remember if I've mentioned this to you before: lots of Brits moved to Spain, where their retirement income would go farther.  Then Spain developed economically and became as expensive as Britain.  Meanwhile, they had sold their UK houses and couldn't afford to move back into the kind of lifestyle they had had previously.

We decided that we didn't want to retire overseas: when we are old and possibly ill, we would like the security of a familiar culture and language around us.  We've dealt with illness overseas and it's not fun, even with the best facilities.

L

I tell my kids that in going to get a camper trailer and just park it in their front yard ;)

My husband would like to retire in Northern Idaho bc it is beautiful there.

We will most likely retire somewhere in the Midwest near his folks. We both feel a draw out that way, even though he is currently in denial. We would like to raise animals and garden and be self-sufficient. Retirement from the military is 7 years away. :)