Menu

Oh no! We're all out of TV series to watch!! Recommendations?

J-rap

So, we never used to be a TV family, but since my husband's stroke we are really into watching a single TV series big-time.  The whole family does.  That is, we'll find just one series that's maybe already been on a couple years and then watch it every night or two for months on end, until the series is done or we're caught up.   Or, we'll find a mini series that will last for a week or two.  Now we're at the end and can't find any that we like.

We like ones that have some intrigue (political, historical, case to solve, etc), they can be somewhat lighthearted (but not pure comedy); they can be very serious too.  They need to be more than just a soap opera (so no Downton Abbey -- sorry!), but still one where the characters play out and evolve.  We've loved some BBC ones. 

Some of our favorites:

Foyle's War

The Little Dorrit BBC series

The Mentalist

Psyche

Monk

Homeland (although I watch that one alone -- it sometimes crosses the line between what I'm comfortable watching with my children!)

The Hour (Our latest favorite -- a BBC series, which I HIGHLY recommend, except that it only lasted two seasons.  :(  So, it's already over.)

The BBC mini-series, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

The mini-series, A Town Like Alice

Band of Brothers

Recommendations are very much needed!!  Thank you!  :)

We seem to have similar tastes.  How about MI-5 (my new obsession)?   I am on season 4 and I am really enjoying it.  The first couple of seasons were really good.  As much as I love the new characters they add, I am wondering how long they can keep the plot points fresh so we will see if I will see all the seasons that Netflix offers.

How about Doctor Who on BBC America, the one that started in 2005. The only thing is that it is probably best to start in the beginning with season one. And the first season is kind of slow since they are still developing characters. It gets very good starting about 1/3 way into season 2. Right now they are entering season 8.

Sherlock (BBC modern Holmes show with longer, more movie-like episodes)

Elementary (American modern Holmes show with shorter more tv-like episodes)

Orphan Black (BBC America and bit more intense then a lot of stuff I watch but interesting episodes that leave you hanging)

Freaks and Geeks (American teen show set in '80s, heart warming)

A Bit of Fry and Laurie (sketch comedy)

News Radio (American comedy)

Pushing Daisies (American, almost fairy tale-ish)

Dead Like Me (ditto, a bit darker)

If I'm looking for something light sometimes a particular writer or producer has a specific style that translates between their different series. For instance, Joss Whedon does a lot of supernatural stuff with a strong ensemble cast (Firefly, Buffy the Vampire Slayer). Alan Sorkin also does ensemble cast shows with snappy dialogue (Sports News, The West Wing). If you try out something of theirs there is usually more you can try with similar quality.  

If you have Amazon Prime you might look into Murdoch Mysteries. You can get 5 seasons free if you're a Prime member. Season 6 isn't available yet, but dh and I keep checking. It's a Canadian show about a Toronto police detective in the late 19th century. It mixes in real history and historical figures (and of course plays loose with them). If you like mysteries or police procedures, try this one.

Northern Exposure!

The Waltons (I think it totally holds up over time.)

Hamish MacBeth (quirky 1990s Scottish mystery series  like Northern Exposure meets Twin Peaks). These are on YouTube. The accent takes a little getting used to. The Great Lochdubh Salt Robbery is the 1st one. You can look up the order of the episodes on Wikipedia. It is important to watch them in order.

My husband is in charge of getting our television to watch, and he's lately turned to weird foreign shows because we're out of the series that the library carries.

Anyway, we've really, really liked Borgen, a Danish political show, kind of like the West Wing. 

Also, we enjoyed The Returned, a French show about dead people who return to a small town. 

The problem with foreign shows is that I can't really knit/plan/write/computer while we're watching. 

Right now we are enjoying Kung Fu once a week, and The Little Rascals most evenings.

When the kids get a bit older (they are 7), I hope they will enjoy Barney Miller with me - it is my all-time favorite TV show.

Might also buy The Honeymooners and maybe I Love Lucy.

Derek, it stars Ricky Gervais, it's on Netflix.  It's sad, funny, sweet, very well done.  It's done like the Office, or Parks in Rec, with a single camara.  It's situational, taking place in a nursing home.  

Doctor Who, Sherlock, Firefly, Eureka, Warehouse 13, Broadchurch, Fringe, Supernatural

I thought you were trying to explain to a previous commenter named Derek what some show was about.  So I googled Ricky Gervais and nursing home and found the name of the show is Derek!  I'm slow today, didn't sleep much last night, but figured I could give someone else some giggles!

So, we never used to be a TV family, but since my husband's stroke we are really into watching a single TV series big-time.  The whole family does.  That is, we'll find just one series that's maybe already been on a couple years and then watch it every night or two for months on end, until the series is done or we're caught up.   Or, we'll find a mini series that will last for a week or two.  Now we're at the end and can't find any that we like.

We like ones that have some intrigue (political, historical, case to solve, etc), they can be somewhat lighthearted (but not pure comedy); they can be very serious too.  They need to be more than just a soap opera (so no Downton Abbey -- sorry!), but still one where the characters play out and evolve.  We've loved some BBC ones. 

Some of our favorites:

Foyle's War

The Little Dorrit BBC series

The Mentalist

Psyche

Monk

Homeland (although I watch that one alone -- it sometimes crosses the line between what I'm comfortable watching with my children!)

The Hour (Our latest favorite -- a BBC series, which I HIGHLY recommend, except that it only lasted two seasons.  :(  So, it's already over.)

The BBC mini-series, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

The mini-series, A Town Like Alice

Band of Brothers

Recommendations are very much needed!!  Thank you!  :)

Primeval (BBC)

All Creatures Great and Small (James Herriott)

Dr. Who

MI5 (you might want to preview before showing to the kiddos, they can be intense)

Keeping Up Appearances

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!  I finally had a chance to look over all of your recommendations!  I'm making a list of them and will be checking them ALL out.  I really, really appreciate it!!  Some of you brought up some that we have indeed been watching as well but forgot to mention:  White Collar, Sherlock, Pushing Daisies (whoever mentioned that, you are the only other person I know who has even heard of it!), Blechley Circle (I heard they may be coming out with another set at some point??  They were fantastic!), Bleak House, the Old Sherlock ones with Jeremy Brett - love those!, Murdoch Mysteries -- those are great, and I'd forgotten about them!  There are many of those we haven't watched yet...

I'm excited to look into the others that I hadn't heard of or watched yet...  Thanks again!  Keep 'em coming!

Monarch of the Glen

Ballykissangel

both may need some previewing depending on ages of kids.

Anne of Green Gables (no previewing necessary)

The Road to Avonlea (no previewing necessary)

The Waltons

Andy Griffith Show

Upstairs Downstairs (there is a new one with 2 seasons available)

Call the midwife (may need previewing)

From Lark Rise to Candleford (mostly kid friendly)

NO!

David is a sweetheart.

are there the original seasons of Due South out there?  David has the lead in that.

Interesting!  My mom gave middle son Seasons 1-3 of Due South for Christmas - she just picked it out of a bin at Wally World...  We've watched the first few, but stopped when my guy went back to college.  It's kind of a cute series that many might like (we do)!  Now I'll think of you whenever we watch more...

On another note... does anyone know what Mark Valley is doing now? (I have to go to school in 10 minutes, so can't google at the moment.)  I went to high school with him - his sister was one of my best friends. I've long since lost track of both...  Mark, of course, went to West Point, but then got into acting.  I remember he was in Boston Legal (I never liked it enough to watch it though).  I think he did one more series afterward that I haven't seen at all.  I'm also thinking Lynne might be acting now too if I remember correctly from the rumor mill last time I was "home."

Must go to school now!

Virgil is your cousin!?? Oh wow!!! I love that character in the series!!

Thank you.

Yup.

He ALWAYS said he was going to be an actor.

If you can find the series DUE SOUTH, that is a good for everyone series. He played the lead......I think his character was 'Ray' and he was a cop from Chicago.

I am hoping he gets put back to a regular on homeland when they start shooting Season 4.