Menu

Guess How I Found WellTrainedMind

veritas

I found this site through Google's discussion search feature(see link below). Google Discussion search is very similar to boardreader.com though more comprehensive.. 

https://www.google.com/webhp?tbm=dsc

It will search through only forums and discussion pages for your terms. 

I think that I was searching for information about some books and keep coming across WellTrainedMind's forum. Eventually, I decided to check out this place---and voila! I joined shortly thereafter

What about you? How did you find WellTrainedMind's forum?

I used to be a Sonlighter. There was sometimes talk there about the forums here. When Sonlight wasn't hacking it for us, I came here since this was where they warned people away from because everyone here is so "rigorous" and scary. It sounded more like where I wanted to be.

Mom is a huge WTM SWB fan.  Didn't faze me and I didn't know about this site.  I did searches and periodically got put on this site but really didn't "join" or really understand this is really a community.  I just got my info and went away again.  But more and more often, when I needed to search for something education related, especially with regards to homeschooling, this site kept coming up...over and over and over.  I still wasn't taking the hint, though (yeah, thickheaded much?) until finally I needed help with some issues with the kids dealing with dyslexia, and instead of just searching, I though I might actually need to post upon occasion.  I joined then started dipping my toe.  

I read, I learned, I posted, I learned, I loved, I learned.  Voila, I had truly "found" TWTM.

I no longer remember, but I can tell you that I was reading the boards well before Y2K and that the boards went back to the early 1900s in January 2000. (Those were the old boards before this one began in 2008.)

Regards,

Kareni

Early 1900s? These boards are way older than I thought! :D

A friend had her daughter in a private school. One year, the school became a classical school. I asked her what that meant, but she didn't know, so I did an internet search. I found some of SWB's articles. I loved the way she talked about all the subjects being tied to history, and going through the history cycle 3 times in 12 years, going deeper and deeper. I was hooked. I want to go back to school to get a classical education!

In April 2012, after I attended 3 hours of a meeting that went longer than that, in the 2nd private school DD was in, where they announced early on that they were planning to close the school, when I came home, and told my wife about that, she tasked me with finding an alterantive for DD, since U.S. English is my native language and it is easier for me to do that on the Internet than for her to do it. . I Googled for "Home School" and found a web site where, thankfully, I found a mention of TTUISD, or a link to it, a day or 2 later.  Then, I found another site about home schooling. On the forums of one of those web sites, I saw a mention of WTM and I began visiting WTM.  I have not visited those other web sites in a very LONG time.  We are not "home schoolers",  we are "distance learners", but we are not alone here and this is a  wonderful place to learn and to participate. Frequently, I tell my wife and DD about threads on WTM. I believe that school did not close, many of the parents wanted to keep it open, but the quality of the education there, during the 4 school years DD was a student there, had declined, considerably, as had their student enrollment.  Students were graduating, but fewer students were enrolling than were graduating...

1999 WTM book had the website listed in the back of the book; that's how I found the site.  Yup, Vegsource was more active than WTM boards at the time but as VS became more restrictive, WTM boards became more active.

Hmm, that may be how I found it -- via the back of the book.  

I also don't recall what year it was, but I know it was early 2000s.  I wasn't very active back then because I didn't like the board format.

I never posted on Vegsource, but I posted a LOT on Mothering.com, prattling on about classical ed like I had a clue what I was talking about (ha!).  High fives to everyone who came here from there.  I switched to more time here once this board started using a format similar to Mothering's old format.

Started homeschooling a 5th grader in 2002 after reading the WTM. Then found the website and eventually the forum. Posted something and was promptly labeled a troll by someone who thought I had multiple IP addresses which evidently was normal for AOL users (which I was at the time)...this did not deter me, however, and I am still here long after homeschooling.

I am also a Sonlighter. I was on their forums for 4 months back in 2011-2012. Came off because it just wasn't my thing. Went back in Nov 2013 and got hooked. I would see "TWTM" and say, "What the heck is that?" After doing some homeschool google searches, I put 2 & 2 together and landed on the forums. I could see that LOTS more products were discussed and y'all are like me (at least I think some of you are) and wanted more variety and stronger products in Language Arts and Science. What I've found is that I love Sonlight for the books and I'll try to incorporate their product for at least the next 4 years BUT thru the recommendations here, I've found such richness and diversity in products.

I became consumed with reading Susan's book was so impatient with ordering it online and waiting for it to be shipped that I (eeeeekkkkkkk) bought it at Barnes & Noble. Gawd, I hate paying their prices. Either way, my husband started reading it before I could then he bought The Well Educated Mind on his Kindle then we found it at Half Price Books and bought a hard copy for me. NOW, I want to buy the 1999 version of the book because I've seen where many have said that it explains the "doings" of Classical Education better.

Thank ladies for offering up such great insight to us newbies to TWTM. :D