Menu

Hello Kitty - what age group is it appropriate for

itsmylife

It probably really depends upon where you live. There's nothing inappropriate about Hello Kitty for the younger crowd, if that is your concern. We live in Hawaii and often see young Japanese women in their twenties with Hello Kitty paraphernalia. But, I think most girls outgrow HK at some point in their teens, depending upon the girl.

None (LOL...editing, I realized I just said none...I meant ALL)

I like Hello Kitty.  I don't have any Hello Kitty anything, but I would love a Hello Kitty something or other.

Our fourteen year old's first room redo (when she had been living with us for about 3 months and was ten) was Hello Kitty.  She's transitioned out of the complete Hello Kitty room but she still has quiet a few Hello Kitty  accessories and accent touches in her slightly different hue but still pink room.  She also has a Hello Kitty phone cover and she's received compliments on that from some adults.  Perhaps a phone cover is a nice transitional HK object.

My niece in her mid-20s has a Hello Kitty microwave.  I'm not sure how she convinced her husband that was a good idea.  

My 14yo dd has always loved Hello Kitty.  This year she got a HK quesadilla maker, as well as various items of clothing.  

The age appropriateness depends more on the item rather than the HK plastered on it.  Most 8 year olds aren't in the market for a Hello Kitty car, yet the cars exist.

One of the houses we rented had a powder blue and pink bathroom. Seriously, the tub was powder blue, toilet pink, colored tile. I tried to camouflage it with maroon but eventually just went with it and bought blue and pink hello kitty towels. My daughter was happy, she was 5 at the time. All my adult friends agreed it was interesting and did agree that it was good that at least someone was happy with the color scheme and that the towels did match well.

I still have a hello kitty tiny stapler from my childhood, but the bathroom was too much for me, I didn't like it.

I loved HK as a child when I lived in Japan before it was popular here. I had an adorable pair of plum-colored corduroy overalls with HK embroidered on them. I was so sad when I had to pass them down to my sister. When HK stuff started appearing in the States I picked up a few things. I have a purse, earrings, pencil case, and sticker on my mp3 player. I've picked up a few things for my baby girl.

My sister's 13-year-old stepdaughter just redid her room with HK and it was much-admired by her friends.

• 7 years later...
17 minutes ago, Angiepooh said:

I was told hk was just for kids im 28 an I love hk I'm a collector 

Take for letting us know this important piece of information about you in two different threads so far.

Welcome to the forum — but you really should have made your username HelloKittyFan.

Such a missed opportunity.

I have a Hello Kitty t-shirt.  It's a running joke in my family.  Dh thought he discovered Hello Kitty on a trip to Hong Kong in the late 90s.  He has three brothers and no sisters. 😃 He was describing it to me over the phone and was very surprised and disappointed that I'd not only heard of "this cat with a big face" that was "everywhere here" but that I also knew her name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Acorn said:

I am processing the revelation that she’s a girl. I must have missed all the news stories at the time. 

Right?!? Mind blown! I found this story particularly enlightening.

From the article:

"Hello Kitty is not a cat. She's a cartoon character. She is a little girl. She is a friend. But she is not a cat. She's never depicted on all fours. She walks and sits like a two-legged creature."

And indeed, an AFP enquiry as to the status — feline or otherwise — of one of Japan's most famous exports confirmed her non-cat identity.

"It is a 100-percent personified character," a Sanrio spokesman told AFP in Tokyo. "The design takes the motif of a cat, but there is no element of a cat in Hello Kitty's setting."

Her real name is Kitty White, he explained, and she was born in southern England on November 1, 1974. She is a Scorpio and blood type A.

She has a twin sister, Minny White, and lives in an unnamed suburb of London with father George and mother Mary, according to her profile on the web.

Despite her whiskers and pointy ears, just like the rest of her family, Kitty has her own pet — a "real" cat named Charmmy Kitty.

• Like 1