Menu

Christmas request for the 3rd year in a row....what to do??

ProudGrandma

My 2 sons have asked for at least 3 years is a pillow pet.  With limited funds, we find gifts that we feel are more appropriate and better for them....but that hasn't kept the boys from asking time and time again.  I can't, for the life of me figure out why they want these?  When I ask them, they just say they think they are cute and would like to cuddle with them.   

Has your child ever done anything like this?  And if so, did you finally give in?

If it's been 3 years, that says to me that your ds are not just having a flash in the pan, knee jerk reaction to an advertisement or something they saw at a friends. I would do my bast to get them what they asked for and put off your ideas of what is 'appropriate/better' for another year. Kids can develop a lot of compassion by caring for stuffed animals. Truth be told, we have one animal that *I* treat as real. 

not every gift has to have substance.  if this is the third year, it's obviously important *to them*.   which is more important to you - get them what you feel is appropriate, or give them a happy memory of their childhood to look back upon when they are adults?

my advice is give them the pillowpet, or what they will remember years from now is how they repeatedly asked for one, and you put your preferences ahead of theirs, and  wouldn't buy one.

I forgot to mention that they are 9 and 11...does that change anybody's mind...if not, then I will get them a pillow pet.

Doesn't change my mind at all. I think it's really sweet that they want them and that they're unwavering in their desire. Go for it. :)

By the way, I remember being a kid and how there were some people who would only get you what THEY thought was worthwhile (educational stuff) and how there were others who were willing to indulge a want even if it wasn't their thing (too trendy, too cutesy, too silly). The latter were the ones who I felt really loved/"got" me. There is just something so affirming about your desires being valued!

My 11 year olds LOVE their pillow pets. They've had them for several years. They take them on car trips and to camp. They are great because you can just throw them in the washer. 

For all the crap kids usually ask for, this is actually something that might get some use and they aren't very expensive. 

Get the pillow pets.

I do understand that funds are limited, but I'll tell you a secret - I still harbor a bit of resentment at that my parents always asked what I wanted for Christmas, but instead purchased what they thought I should have. I do not really remember a single Christmas gift; whereas, while my husband didn't get MUCH for Christmas, his parents went out of their way to pay attention to his interests and wants, not their own preferences. I got loads of gifts - but nothing I really wanted. I would have rather had one or two gifts that showed my parents were thoughtful of what I wanted.

I forgot to mention that they are 9 and 11...does that change anybody's mind...if not, then I will get them a pillow pet.

My 15 and 12 year old still have them on their beds after receiving them from their sister 4 or 5 years ago. They still use them!

It's just a pillow....that looks like a stuffed animal.  It doesn't matter how old they are :).  It's Christmas and they are cheap as far as Christmas gits go.  If my 16 yr old wanted one, I'd oblige.  I think they're cute and I'm 35 :)

When I chaperoned a cross country trip for a group of 18 teens ages 14-18 this summer, multiple teens kept pet-napping to love on the one that one girl brought. 

If they've wanted it this long, I'd go ahead and get it!

I chaperone high school band trips all the time and kids often bring them. They're great travel-sized pillows.

Get the pillow pets.

I do understand that funds are limited, but I'll tell you a secret - I still harbor a bit of resentment at that my parents always asked what I wanted for Christmas, but instead purchased what they thought I should have. I do not really remember a single Christmas gift; whereas, while my husband didn't get MUCH for Christmas, his parents went out of their way to pay attention to his interests and wants, not their own preferences. I got loads of gifts - but nothing I really wanted. I would have rather had one or two gifts that showed my parents were thoughtful of what I wanted.

I agree.  My mom is like that.  She gets what she thinks a person should want, not what they ask for. (Note:  She is the one asking what they want, otherwise, I wouldn't have much to say about it...but if you ask...why not go with what the person really wants?)  Sadly I learned and my kids have learned to never ask her for what they really want, but instead to pick some random thing they don't care much about, because chances are great she won't get them.  This has nothing to do with money, either.

So yep, I say def. get the pillow pets!

Dd got one when she was 11 and still has it now that she's 15. Right now there are some on sale at toysrus so they're only $4.99.

it looks like those are the pee wee ones...not the big ones...my daughter has a big one, so I am sure they are wanting a big one too...the 18" size.  thanks for the thought.  I did find some on ebay, new for $10...so that is what I am going to do.

I agree... get them a pillow pet!

FWIW, I'm guilty of falling into the "what they want is dumb and this would be so much better for them" trap too. Fortunately, dh is a big kid and usually drags me kicking and screaming into the world of stupid, junky toys... at least for one or two little gifts. :laugh: Even if we can only afford one thing, I think it really is better to get them the thing they want (within reason, of course) -- especially at Christmas!

I am so glad I asked....we ususally get many things on their list...I just couldn't figure this one out...thanks for helping me sort through this....and you are all right, a $10 gift isn't bad at all...they want a penguin and a dolphin, so I hope I can find both of those.

My 8yo has a penguin, my 11yo has a dolphin! They have had them a bit over a year and still love them.

I'd get it if you can afford it. I asked for a Bob Ross master paint set every year as a child for probably ten years. my parents could not afford it. Finally last year they got it... for my twin sister, lol. They couldn't remember who had always wanted it. It gave us all a good laugh.

My kids have our college mascot as a pillow pet and the local NFL team sells one as well. They are not just lady bugs and unicorns.

My 21 year old daughter has one that she got a year or two ago. Not only does she really like it but it is practical. She has used it so many times for bus rides home to lean up against or as a small pillow to use when she is going to a friends house overnight etc. All 3 of my kids use them when we go on vacation in the car. I have another daughter who is 18 and a son who is 15.

All three of mine have them and LOVE THEM.  Wait for a sale and if you can swing it, indulge them.   They aren't my first choice for a sensible gift, but I have to say they are the most USED toys they have.  I'm actually SHOCKED about how loved they are.  Make sure you keep a needle and thread handy... sometimes they do get holes and its a DISASTER when the fluff comes out ;)  They each have 2 (one year we gave them to them and then they received some as gifts unexpectedly)  and they are all loved.

FWIW at 11 years old I had a pillow person and I was CRUSHED when it got lost in one of my ADULT moves...