Menu

Do you know/use this phrase?

Bensmom

"In a coons age"  

291 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever heard or used the phrase, " in a coons age" ?

• No
    • I have heard it, but never said it
    • I have used the phrase and I am from the South
    • I have used the phrase and I am not from the South
    • I have heard or used it and I am not from the US

I was visiting with my SIL, who has lived all over the world, and mentioned I had not seen something, "in a coon's age." She had never heard the phrase and did not know the meaning. Now I'm curious who has heard of or ever used this phrase. Poll to follow:). I think....

I've heard it, and used it only once or twice, but usually in more of a light-hearted sort of way, KWIM? And I spent 30 years in California, so although technically I'm from the South, because that's where I was born, I heard and used it (once or twice) in California. Not sure I've ever actually heard it now that I'm actually living in the South.

I'm from PA, and it seems as though we had a lot of colloquial phrases like that growing up. I think part of it is that I had great-grandparents next door and lots of interaction with people of various generations. In general, it seems that no matter where you go in PA, the locals have many, many colloquialisms. Incidentally, my college roommate was an Army brat, but both of her parents were from PA. She used many of the same phrases I did, and what she didn't use, she had heard/understood and didn't think they were odd. The Midwesterners, on the other hand, regularly thought my expressions were odd. However, I had the pleasure of laughing at jokes the oldest professor on campus made in class--I understood his expressions, so I could get the humor. Most everyone else was confused.

I was visiting with my SIL, who has lived all over the world, and mentioned I had not seen something, "in a coon's age." She had never heard the phrase and did not know the meaning. Now I'm curious who has heard of or ever used this phrase. Poll to follow:). I think....

My MIL (born Mart, TX, around 1930) used to say it.

L

I was born and raised in Arkansas and pretty much everyone used that phrase at least once including myself.

Arkansas has quite a few interesting phrases like that much to my dh's enjoyment when I use them.

Now living in Texas, I don't hear things like "in a coon's age" ever. 

From the South and I've never heard it.

According to The Straight Dope: "It actually refers to raccoons. The expression "in a coon's age" dates to the early 1800s, and to the folk belief that raccoons are long-lived. My pal Colibri of the Straight Dope Science Advisory Board says, "References differ, but a wild individual raccoon might live up to 5 to 7 years (average survival being much lower, though, probably 2-3 years), and in captivity they can live up to 14-17 years. So their lifespan is comparable to that of a dog."

In the early 1800s, it's doubtful if anyone knew how long raccoons actually lived, and two to three years in the wild is not really very long. But raccoon fur is hardy and reasonably durable, which might have given rise to the belief of longevity."  http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1536/whats-the-origin-of-coons-age

I have heard it but both sides of the family have southern roots, despite me being more a PNW girl than anything else. If I lived here and wasn't in touch with relatives, I doubt I would have ever heard it. I use colorful expressions but more of them are rooted in urban than rural culture and my parents would never let us say anything like coon. Yes, I know it is from raccoon but it sounds like a common racial cultural slur and as white parents of a black son with racist relatives, they were understandably really sensitive about/careful wrt language.