Menu

what brand of coffee do you drink?

ProudGrandma

I buy locally roasted coffee from my food co-op. Personally I would rather have two cups of strong, good coffee than a pot of brown watery coffee.

When comparing prices on coffee, remember that many of the bags at the grocery only contain 12 ounces. Buying beans by the pound from a local place is not necessarily more expensive.

are those coffees expensive????

We pay $10 a pound for the Roasterie, when we buy it at the store (which we can only do in KC). Ordering it by mail adds a few dollars to the price. If I can't stomach the price, i buy a locally roasted brand wherever we happen to be.

We pay $10 a pound for the Roasterie, when we buy it at the store (which we can only do in KC). Ordering it by mail adds a few dollars to the price. If I can't stomach the price, i buy a locally roasted brand wherever we happen to be.

That must be some good coffee if you're shipping it to Seattle. I'm partial to our local scene, but I've had a couple nice brews there. :)

That must be some good coffee if you're shipping it to Seattle. I'm partial to our local scene, but I've had a couple nice brews there. :)

It really is good, though I feel like a traitor shipping contraband coffee into the PNW. We are moving to Portland next year and will have to experiment more with local blends.

I like a variety of brands: Starbucks Cafe Verona, Seattle's Best 4, Community Coffee dark. I'm currently enjoying 100% Kona--a gift from my mom.

I've found I do not like Dunkin Donuts, which happens to be dh's favorite. He really wants this t-shirt because of our ongoing feud. :laugh:

601702.jpg

Most often these days it is Stumptown.

Other brands we've recently used:

49th paralel

Kuma

Cafe Vita

Herkimer

Sometimes I buy something from Costco but I usually regret it. It's not a bargain if no one likes it.

We brew at home in a regular old Cuisinart Grind and Brew I got for $5 at a yard sale years ago. My husband's hand pump espresso machine goes neglected a lot of the time with him in school and working so we don't buy a lot of espresso blends these days.

I buy the Sumatra Mandheling from Reality Roasters, which is somewhere close by here in Minnesota. It's only about thirteen bucks for a pound of beans, and it's fair trade. And it's delicious. :D I also recently finished up a pound of coffee that I got from a friend who runs a small coffee roasting business in Vermont, Voyageurs Coffee. The portage blend was amazing, and I'll definitely be getting more of it.

good grief there are way too many brands of coffee....

Indeed there are. You can go with a national brand but it seems that there are so many local coffee roasters around these days.

The first thing that I think you need to determine is whether you like your beans at a lighter or darker roast. The latter has a burned flavor that some people adore--others abhor. (Starbucks basically burned all of their beans previously and have only recently introduced "blonde" lighter roasts.)

I find some of the typical grocery store beans to be unpleasantly acidic. But obviously we all have different tastes since some posters prefer Folgers or Maxwell House.

k-cups: Folger's Caramel drizzle, Millstone Hazelnut Cream, Target brand Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee, Target Brand Caramel Macchiato, and decaf Green Mountain Hazelnut light roast.

I obviously like my coffee sweet, flavored,and not too bitter :)

We buy the silver bag of beans at Costco. I guess it is Kirkland brand Columbian. My husband prefers to grind fresh for each pot, so that's what we do. I came to coffee drinking late in life so I just follow his lead. It's good enough and fits our budget. No flavored coffee ever in this house. :)

I buy Lavazza from Amazon, it's from Italy and makes the most amazing cappuccinos I drink every day, it's like going back on my honeymoon every time. :)

:iagree:

less the honeymoon since I have never been there. :lol:

GREAT espresso though for homemade lattes. :drool5:

We buy from a local roaster often, but in between we shop Costco.

Blue Mountain Jamican from Magnum roasters is our favorite.

I have had Dunkin Donuts from Costco..not bold enough

Biggy is a Michigan coffee chain, and it's ok, but not bold enough in the bean form for us.

I have thought about trying Kirkland brand, but usually what I find is already ground and I don't want that.