Menu

Would you carry this bag as your purse?

LifeLovePassion

We like to hike/camp but I am not sure if it is too rustic for everyday use. Do you think I could modify it somehow to make it more girly? DH has a bigger version and the thing is a tank which is why I am considering one. http://www.amazon.com/Maxpedition-Noatak-Gearslinger-OD-Green/dp/B003VMV07Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1371839596&sr=1-1&keywords=Noatak (I'd get black I think)

I have more purses and bags than most sane people.

I have a preference for messenger bags and sling bags for daily use.

I like that bag. It is a bit bulky IMO for everyday use but I'd bring it as a carry-on and use it on vacation. I'd use it as a purse if I were spending the whole day out (beach, sports tournament, all-day errand running), but not for an everyday purse. I think I'd be more likely to if it didn't have the water bottle pouch. I don't know why, but that feature doesn't do it for me. I do love the sling style for everyday use, though.

As to making it more girly ... I'd probably veer more to the foliage green.

But if you're set on black there's always puffy paint LOL. Or embroidering something personal and feminine on it.

What most appeals to you about the bag? I wonder if there's something similar out there.

I would consider it. But I'm more the jeans/Keens kind of girl. This is my current everyday purse. Dh thinks it looks like a camera bag, but I like it. I can throw all sorts of stuff in there--folders with papers to grade, books, my kindle, etc. After my boys got out of the phase where I needed a diaper bag, I tried more grown up purses, but I always got irritated that I had to take an extra tote when I wanted to take more than just my kindle. I say do what works for you.

I think it depends on what kinds of functions you want for it. I don't carry a purse, I just carry my wallet (or just the needed plastic cards) in my pocket. If I'm carrying anything, it's books, notepads, and paper, so it wouldn't be the right shape for me. Also, I'd think that all the straps would make it more heavy than I'd want unless I was walking around a lot with it.

I'd carry it as a useful daily bag -- so, serving the purpose of a purse -- but I wouldn't be able to call it a purse. I'd have a pretty wallet that I could carry separately for traveling light, and I'd also have something more purse-like on hand for times when my desire to look nice outweighed my desire for full practicality.

Thanks! (I am in the lacking fashion sense club too). DH seemed to think I would like it for every day use and I could get rid of every other purse/bag I own. I am trying to explain to him that sometimes I need/want a smaller purse. But it'd be great for trips to the park/longer times away from home. I was wondering if I could replace some of the ties and such with pink paracord or something similar if I do get one. :) It would have rocked as a diaper bag I think though.

I agree with Starr. You're not really going to make "girly" or even really purse-like. :) However if you like it, then go for it! I would never in a million years carry it but I'm more than a bit girly. ;) I do keep my stocked Rambo bag always in the back of my car though. Be feminine doesn't negate be prepared for me.

No.

I have a wallet and a knapsack.

I like having a wallet so I can just take that if I want. I like having a knapsack if I need more carrying space. Having one strap would drive me crazy.

(Now I'm thinking of that thread that mentioned some people at some college trying to make it against the rules for woman to use a messanger back since the strap between breasts made it hard for some men to not focus on boobs)

Mind you if you are asking about fashion advice, um... don't ask me.

Yes but to make it more of backpack style everyday purse, i would not get it in army green. Also everyone needs to remember that you most likely would not be carrying the canteen around, which I think is a big part of the rugged/army look. However that a canteen pocket would look perfectly fine with a regular waterbottle in it (plastic or reusable). It would just give it a different look than the army style canteen.

I think it would be a great daily backpack purse for summer and into fall. But I wouldn't want to carry it once you have to start wearing a coat. I think then it would start to look and feel cumbersome.

That is not a purse. I disagree with the suggestions on how to make it look more "girly". I think you will just end up with something that looks like a backpack with crafts stuck on. If you like that look, try googling seatbelt purse. Here is an example..

http://www.zappos.com/harveys-seatbelt-bag-berkeley-bucket-bag-grey?ef_id=UazFQAAABO@XlTEF:20130621205122:s&zfcTest=fcl%3A0

http://www.luggagepros.com/harveys-seatbelt-bags-slate-large-satchel.shtml?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=feed&utm_term=Harveys%20Seatbelt%20Bags&utm_campaign=PID23239&gclid=COmyp4qE9rcCFcmf4Aodb2sAow

I would carry it for day trips and such but I wouldn't think of it as a purse or daily use bag. This is what I use everyday, but in navy blue and not army green, so I am not speaking as an especially girly girl. I think the bag you linked is pretty big and bulky for a quick trip it all.

Ooh, very cool!! I am SO not girly....total tomboy here. Always have been, always will be. I do think that's a little bulky for me....probably due to the straps. But I do like the style. If it were more streamlined, I'd totally carry it. I'm always on the look out for a good cargo type "purse". I guess I tend to carry more like a bag than a purse.

I adore military bags, but that one has too much on it for everyday use for me.

I have this messenger bag, which has a lot of spaces and place to hook stuff. It's too big for everyday use, but it's nice for when you need room.

I also have this one, which is just one pocket. It's great size for everyday.

This saddleback leather bag is my dream bag. I will carry it as a purse when I get it, someday.

Thanks! (I am in the lacking fashion sense club too). DH seemed to think I would like it for every day use and I could get rid of every other purse/bag I own. I am trying to explain to him that sometimes I need/want a smaller purse. But it'd be great for trips to the park/longer times away from home. I was wondering if I could replace some of the ties and such with pink paracord or something similar if I do get one. :) It would have rocked as a diaper bag I think though.

That sounds like something my DH would try to talk me into.

ebags has 8 gazillion bags that would probably work better for you. Maybe something from Kavu or Sherpani.

The black one, I just might. It might be a little big for me.

I am casual most of the time and I usually get my purses at REI (I have a few dress up purses too). If you want something a little more girly, Haiku and Sherpani make some utilitarian bags that are cute too. I'm carrying around this one, but they don't make it any more! :( It's getting holes in it after 2 years of really brutal use ... I'm looking for a replacement now.

http://www.rei.com/product/752091/haiku-to-go-shoulder-bag-womens

I just thinking about this thread (its a slow day!)

and you gotta find better names for these bags, I googled mom bags and its named "the bff" or the "super be" and the "petunia pickle bottom"

which honestly kind of makes me gack

but it is not as bad as the max bags you linked

as much as I like them they all have names like "the fatboy" "the beefy" and "the jumbo" they do have one "mini rolly polly" but im thinking it probably does not sell as well and i cant imagine asking someone to hand my "mongo" pack

i am just going to keep buying clothes with lots of pockets and put up with the fact that i jingle and clank a bit when i walk ;)

I had a Petunia Pickle Bottom diaper bag. I got it for $10 (talked down from $18) at a yard sale. It looked hardly used and was purple and had embroidered butterflies on it, looked kind of Asian. My daughter is Chinese, so I thought it fit. I went to a baby shower and the mom to be got a PPB as a gift. I was SHOCKED to find out that it cost over $125. The mom to be was shocked that I found one at a yard sale for $10.

I have a backpack purse, something like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Maxam®Italian-MosaicTM-Genuine-Lambskin-Backpack/dp/B000NR69NW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371879071&sr=8-1&keywords=backpack+purse

My son asks me at least one a week when I am going to get a real purse. He is not satisfied that mine is a purse. I got it when they were younger and I needed to hold on to both of their hands in the parking lot, but like the hands free so have stuck with it. Everyone else thinks it is a purse. Of course, I'm not a fashion nut, either.

I live in the PNW, where, if anywhere, you could possibly get away with carrying it and having people say 'where did you get that?', not with an accusing tone, but one of envy........even here, nope, not as an everyday purse. Of course, there is probably someone here, who in fact does carry the same bag, in Portland and gets comments, but unless you were in REI or Outdoor store....my suspicion is that they wonder if you have a dead squirl in there for 'local, organic' snacks later.

I would love it as a "purse", but I prefer backpack styled diaper bag, book bag, purse junk, lunch pail all in one styled set up. So it might seem bulky, but it's less bulky than having everything in different things and still lugging them about.

However, I have no fashion sense. I'm all about function. That bag would meet my function needs very well most of the time.

Dh prefers I have Coach purses and since he is willing to brave the vicious ladies during an sale in whatever town he is in on a business trip to get me one he thinks I'll like, I now have Coach purses.

Otherwise, I'd have something similiar to what you posted, only I'd have never bought it new. I'd have gotten it at the Army Surplus or Goodwill.

I have a backpack purse, something like this one:

http://www.amazon.co...=backpack purse

My son asks me at least one a week when I am going to get a real purse. He is not satisfied that mine is a purse. I got it when they were younger and I needed to hold on to both of their hands in the parking lot, but like the hands free so have stuck with it. Everyone else thinks it is a purse. Of course, I'm not a fashion nut, either.

I had bought my mom the same purse (at least same to my untrained eyes) because she would carry huge purses around all the time and it was wearing on the one shoulder. She did use it for some time. Then she realized it was not vastly important to carry around everything and the kitchen sink and now just has something smaller.

I would love it as a "purse", but I prefer backpack styled diaper bag, book bag, purse junk, lunch pail all in one styled set up. So it might seem bulky, but it's less bulky than having everything in different things and still lugging them about.

However, I have no fashion sense. I'm all about function. That bag would meet my function needs very well most of the time.

Dh prefers I have Coach purses and since he is willing to brave the vicious ladies during an sale in whatever town he is in on a business trip to get me one he thinks I'll like, I now have Coach purses.

Otherwise, I'd have something similiar to what you posted, only I'd have never bought it new. I'd have gotten it at the Army Surplus or Goodwill.

Oh my gosh, where is your husband from and do they have another? :laugh: Actually DH understands my "thing" with bags and surprised me with a Coach for Christmas a few years ago. :001_tt1:

:svengo: *GASP*

Purses and bags are my one indulgence. Some women love shoes, but I love purses and bags. Tell your husband, "No!" ;) .

Texas, but I think they broke his mold after making him. :)

Oh my gosh, where is your husband from and do they have another? :laugh: Actually DH understands my "thing" with bags and surprised me with a Coach for Christmas a few years ago. :001_tt1:

If you like it, use it. I love when people use stuff that's outside the mainstream :D and it'll certainly last you awhile. Plus, it doesn't have gaudy logos splashed over ever square inch of it like the designer purses that are so in fashion right now. I had one of those and I sold it. I will never understand why those things are so popular.

Because........? I can't imagine my husband having an opinion about my purse.

Because........? I can't imagine my husband having an opinion about my purse.

Okay. Not sure what that has to do with me. My husband notices what I wear. I think most husbands do, whether they say anything or not about it. Since he makes it zero effort for me to do so, I don't mind wearing something that's comfortable and he thinks looks good on me. If I didn't like it enough to wear it, then I wouldn't and he'd not be bothered about it. He knows my first rule for clothing or accessories is comfort and function. He has been buying my clothing since i was 16. Thank heavens or I'd probably still be wearing the same tshirt and jeans i wore at 16. The holeier the more comfortable, right? LOL I rebought the exact same style and brand of tennis shoes for 18 years before he talked me into buying a pair of New Balance in hopes it would help my back. (and they have) For most of our 20 years I used a backpack and he never cared. He has always enjoyed spoiling me by giving me things that are just fun or nice, not necessarily just practical and functional. Sometimes it's really nice, like a Coach purse. Most of the time, it's just silly little things. I wouldn't ever even know what a coach purse was otherwise. Just like I would have never known about green and black dark chocolate. I would have gone into the grocery store, bought my milk and eggs and coffee and left. Dh sees the chocolate aisle and wonders, "hey. m likes chocolate. I wonder if she'd like this one? Pulls out phone to see reviews, turns over package to check ingredients. Goes buy it and puts it in his pocket to surprise her with later." That's just who he is.

I can live without any of the stuff he buys me, and there have been some awful duds iver the years, but there's worse husbands to be had than a generous to a fault husband.

What's wrong with that?

And when my dh wears a shirt or whatever I don't think shows him at his best, I can say so without it hurting his feelings. And when I say I think new jeans make his butt look awesome, he is happy to buy another pair if they were also comfortable. Or when I note that socks with crocs looks funny, he just laughs like beavis and butthead about it and says, "but I thought making a woman laugh was the key to her heart? You mean I'm not winning you over with these rockin white knee high socks and red croc?"

Hmm. Is this like couples who never talk?

Are there also mostly couples who notice nothing that pleases their spouse and make an effort to do so? Or is it that only some things are acceptable to please each other?

Hmmmm.

So. If your husband said, "sweetheart, I think you look hottest naked, but that purse/shoes/whatever isn't flattering to you, but if you really like it and will use it, go ahead and get it." would you be pissed, annoyed, or just shrug and look for another purse?

Me? Since I can't think of anyone who I want to look better for, I just shrug and look for another purse. It's a purse. I'm not emotionally attached to the purse.

• Thanks 1

So. If your husband said, "sweetheart, I think you look hottest naked, but that purse/shoes/whatever isn't flattering to you, but if you really like it and will use it, go ahead and get it." would you be pissed, annoyed, or just shrug and look for another purse?

If my husband ever used the words "isn't flattering" and "purse" in the same sentence, I'd sign him up for the next Pride Parade and wish him well on his new path in life. :lol: