Menu

How many bibles do you own?

swellmomma

I was looking through a catalogue and debating between a couple study bibles/life application bibles and thinking about how many different kinds of bibles I have already and it got me wondering how many bibles other people have.

In my home I have 1 king james regular bible, 1 New international version regular bible, 1 life application study bible-it is my go to bible usually, 1 new believers bible, 2 small red new testaments, 1 small new testament called "where do we go from here", 1 gold bible(the kind from hotel rooms), and each of the 3 older kids own 2 children's bibles and the youngest owns 1. so that makes 15 bibles in my home and here I was drooling over a couple others not for the bible itself but the extra insights and notes they have in them. When I study the bible I generally pull out 1-3 to use at a time, usually different versions so I can see the wording in each one and compare them etc.

Is there any one else with a large number of bibles in their home? If you have lots which are your favorites? Is there a particular study or life application bible you prefer?

ETA: I just remembered 2 more in the school books, storybook bibles, and the 1919 one that has been passed down through the family.. So that puts me up to 18.

I do not own a concordance or bible atlas though. I think I may buy one of each of those next instead of another life application/study bible.

We have 20+ and many more commentaries, concordances, word studies, commentaries on books of the Bible, etc. It's not a bad thing to hoard, but it does take up some space.

For church I take my iPad because I can look at my two favorite study bibles and my two favorite translations, plus take notes and see the original greek/hebrew. It's fun!

My main bible is a KJV wide margin. I love having space to write in all my notes! I also have half a dozen other versions around, or so. One I particularly enjoy is the NET Bible, with tranlators notes. Some very useful information about why the translators made the decisions that they did, so you can sort through what is translated because of doctrinal bias. I do find though, as I'm becoming more tech savvy, that I use the electronic versions on the internet and ipad more and more, rather than my paper ones. I used to always have my strong's concordance and my Englishman's, and Gesinius handy for when I'd do my bible study, and a stack of Bible versions, but a computer is a lot less bulky!

Dd had to count for her Confirmation class. We have 39. I, myself, have an Archeological bible, a One-Year, a Woman's Devotional, an old Ryrie, a Good News...We have children's versions, daily versions, Greek New Testament, Hebrew and Jewish bibles....Bible Central here. Dh is a priest, but a lot of them aren't his. That's not counting commentaries and multi-volume bibles (Interpreters for example).

We are rich, indeed!

I just use the concordance in the back of whatever study bible I'm using--Dh likes a number of them, but we have a Strong's.

Guest inoubliable

Atheist here chiming in, too. 3 in the house. An old King James that belonged to my grandfather, a DK for the kids, and another newer King James that I received when I was confirmed in the RCC.

wow. i don't know. quite a few!! my kids alone have a few each (beginner's bible, adventure bible, NIV - which all are different reading levels). i have several myself (some are mine & a few belonged to my grandmother and aunt & they left them to me).

i enjoy the different translations though & i even find my paraphrase bibles to be useful. then there is my husband & who knows what he has.

honestly though, these days i usually do my reading on my i-phone through youversion. i follow a plan there & they have so many translations to choose from, so i enjoy it. i usually read from ESV or NIV.

In the house? Hm. Probably around 20...not counting books of Bible stories or Bible study books. Like other people, we have several kid versions like the beginner and the adventure. I have 3 that I regularly reference-an NIV study Bible, a New Oxford Annotated and a KJV. I also have one on my iPad, but I haven't referenced it that much.

Eight, I think. I have a slim profile NASB, an Updated NASB and an NASB that is falling apart & I no longer carry. My son has an NIV and his old Children's NIV. My husband has a slim profile NASB, an NIV study Bible and his old Bible that he used in college.

At church I use YouVersion on my iPad, but since it's an online Bible, I didn't count it as one I own.

… What is your favorite concordance?

This is my favorite concordance since I use the NASB for my Bible study.

262844_w185.png

I have maybe 10-20 Bibles. I have a couple of large printe Bibles (NASB, NKJ) with no study notes and the rest are study Bibles. I try to get different Bible translations for the Study Bibles so I get a mix of translations and study notes.

I guess I'm the odd one out here! In English, I only own one actual Bible. It is a very nice Scofield reference Bible that my parents bought me when I was 13. Although it's KJV, it substitutes some words in brackets (providing the KJV word) for ease of reading. But it still has that nice poetic quality of the KJV. I love it.

I have Bibles (or just New Testaments) in a few other languages, which I used to use (before kids) to study languages along with scripture. And my kids have kiddy "Bibles," but really those are more collections of stories. I look forward to reading the actual Bible with them soon.

At school/church, they use the New International Version, which I really dislike. It waters things down and it's just not poetic. My kids will be required to have this when they get a little older for school. When I was a kid, I recall enjoying the Living Bible (which Billy Graham would send people upon request), and the Revised Standard Version which was permitted (not required) at school, but I don't hear much about those nowadays.

I own ONE physical bible. It's a paperback NKJV. The back cover has fallen off, and slowly the last pages are ripping off as well. :p I won't be able to bring myself to replace it until actual passages are falling out. I'd love to get a leather bound NKJV so it'd last longer, but dh disagrees. He thinks we should just get more paperback copies, because they're so cheap.

I also have esword on my computer, as well as an app on my phone, that allow me access to lots of different translations, including being able to study the original Greek and Hebrew. Esword also includes commentaries by several people. I use it a lot; it replaces tons of physical books we could have in its place.

I own ONE physical bible. It's a paperback NKJV. The back cover has fallen off, and slowly the last pages are ripping off as well. :p I won't be able to bring myself to replace it until actual passages are falling out. I'd love to get a leather bound NKJV so it'd last longer, but dh disagrees. He thinks we should just get more paperback copies, because they're so cheap.

I also have esword on my computer, as well as an app on my phone, that allow me access to lots of different translations, including being able to study the original Greek and Hebrew. Esword also includes commentaries by several people. I use it a lot; it replaces tons of physical books we could have in it's place.

You can duct tape your cover or outside sheets and it will last a long time. :)

We have 6 3/4. :)

Confession: I don't know how many Bibles we have in the house. My fave is NRSV. I am using Matthew Henry Commentary.I used to read My Utmost of His Highest daily for several years too. It challenged my mind and Spirit. Thanks for asking as it has provoked me to think of what I really do need. We have tons of gadgets and versions of the Bible. My Life Recovery Bible is precious to me as well.

This is my favorite concordance since I use the NASB for my Bible study.

262844_w185.png

I have maybe 10-20 Bibles. I have a couple of large printe Bibles (NASB, NKJ) with no study notes and the rest are study Bibles. I try to get different Bible translations for the Study Bibles so I get a mix of translations and study notes.

This is it. I have this. Great minds think alike! :)

I'd have to add up, but 20 sounds about right.

In addition to my concordance, these are my top ones:

1. Key Word/NASB (Lockman Foundation)

2. Life Application Study/NKJV (would have bought NASB, but the commentary notes are the same, so I chose NJKV to get this Bible, but in a different translation)

3. Complete Jewish New Testament (David Stern) I may have the Bible name wrong. Will look and edit later if needed. I also have his NT commentary.

Let's see......

3 family heirloom KJV Bibles

2 KJV the kids have

1 Super Study Strong's (my oldest's)

1 Amplified

1 NLT

2 LRGE Print KJV

1 Comic Book Version

1 One Year Bible

1 NKJV

1 Kids KJV Study Bible

1 KJV Travel

1 KJV inscribed

3 KJV New Testements

1 The Message New Testement

......I *think* that's all

Hmm...something to really think about, let's see:

NKJV Study Bible

ESV

Living

NIV -- at least 4 of those, probably more like 6 various sizes

The Message -- 2 of those

The Open Bible, not sure what translation though

RSV

New Century Bible

Recovery Bible - NT

I think that's it for hard copies. I have the ESV on my Kindle; I have The Sword Project on my laptop and desktop.

Wow, those of us *with* Bibles sure to have a lot them :)

I mainly use Strong's concordance for my personal use. I love it because my grandparents gave it to me when I graduated from college. I'm not sure what Dh uses. Before we moved we had Pink's commentaries. I don't even know how many of the Church Fathers/Church History etc... books we have in this house. I'm delving into the Apocrypha for the first time this year for fun.

mercy...JUST ME...I have at least four, no make that five. 2 KJV, one that was my study Bible till it looked bad (I used it for 15 years) the other KJV was my mothers and it is sentimental. I have a Crossings womens bible that I got as a free gift when I signed up for something. Dh got me a ESV MacArthur study bible for Christmas that I have been devouring. I have a small KJV gift Bible given to me when I graduated high school. I probably also have a few tattered Bibles from when I was a child tucked away in various places.

My dh has two that he's used in the last two years. I replaced his tattered KJV with a Ryrie study bible last fall. He also has some tattered childhood bibles tucked away.

Oldest dd has 3.

Second dd has 2

Third dd has 1.

Then each kid has at least on Gideon New testament.

So that is 13 Bibles that we could easily find in the house.

I'm like you too. I see the great sales and the pretty covers at the bookstore and go "Oh, how pretty! This will fit in my purse!"

However, a year back I decided I won't buy another Bible on impulse. Rather I will read the one that I have,

My MacArthur Bible was a specific request that I made of my dh at Christmas and I've been poring over it.

BTW, I forgot the MONSTROUS Family bible that my dh inherited. It is massive and was made in the 1860s.

I guess I'm the odd one out here! In English, I only own one actual Bible. It is a very nice Scofield reference Bible that my parents bought me when I was 13. Although it's KJV, it substitutes some words in brackets (providing the KJV word) for ease of reading. But it still has that nice poetic quality of the KJV. I love it.

I have Bibles (or just New Testaments) in a few other languages, which I used to use (before kids) to study languages along with scripture. And my kids have kiddy "Bibles," but really those are more collections of stories. I look forward to reading the actual Bible with them soon.

At school/church, they use the New International Version, which I really dislike. It waters things down and it's just not poetic. My kids will be required to have this when they get a little older for school. When I was a kid, I recall enjoying the Living Bible (which Billy Graham would send people upon request), and the Revised Standard Version which was permitted (not required) at school, but I don't hear much about those nowadays.

I used my Scofield for years. I really liked it!

We've been switching to ESV around here (both of us grew up KJV only) and I have been struggling with the switch because I memorized EVERYTHING KJV so if I'm searching for a specific verse in my new one, I often use the concordance of my oldie. you're right, the language is lovely.

but then, I also read Shakespeare for fun,,,,

We have one, but I haven't a clue where it got unpacked to when we moved this summer. It's around somewhere because I know I saw it since getting here. I got that from a boyfriend's grandma about 20 years ago. I had a smaller, cheap paperback one that I used for my religion class in college, but I don't have clue what happened to that one.

My son has two different children's bibles people gave him, as well as the one I had when I was little, but the cover binding is so old I'm ready to toss it out.

I'm surprised by all these Bibles! We have five full Bibles: DH has his childhood one, we were both given them upon our baptism four years ago, we have one to DS for Easter last year, and we bought an Orthodox one when we became catechumens. we also have three children's Bibles.

This is it. I have this. Great minds think alike! :)

I'd have to add up, but 20 sounds about right.

In addition to my concordance, these are my top ones:

1. Key Word/NASB (Lockman Foundation)

2. Life Application Study/NKJV (would have bought NASB, but the commentary notes are the same, so I chose NJKV to get this Bible, but in a different translation)

3. Complete Jewish New Testament (David Stern) I may have the Bible name wrong. Will look and edit later if needed. I also have his NT commentary.

3. Corrected Title: Complete Jewish Bible by David Stern

I have 3 kinds of Bibles. One is the KJV, one is a childrens bible, and a friend gave us the Founder's Bible for Christmas this year. The Founder's Bible has been fun to read because it is interspersed with articles having to do with the Founders/history and how important the Bible and its teachings were to the founding of our freedoms. It is fascinating.

a dozen or so.

ds is a pastoral major and he has only one personal one. it is a pocket size thinline that i bought him in jr high. it is falling apart and is full of notes. when i ask him if he would like a new one he always declines. it is rare that he leaves home without it stuff in his pocket or backpack.