Menu

Perfect House... 3 big, aggressive dogs next door - WWYD

I would really love some advice from dog people. We just toured the most beautiful home today and three big, loud, aggressive dogs barked at us everytime we stepped outside. The dogs are properly fenced in next door but could see us through the fence and acted VERY aggressively. The house we would by buying does not currently have a fence in the back but we would put one in for our kids to be able to play.

For full disclosure we are not dog people. However, currently we rent a place with many dog owners living around us. We ocassionally hear barking but have never worried about it at all.

These dogs were big and scary looking. I don't know breed so I can't say for sure what they were. They were big and dark in color.

We came back to the house for a second time after our realtor had shown us a few other places (the house is empty) and I walked to the backyard to look at it one more time and one of the dogs literally made a horrible snarling sound and started barking. I jumped out of my skin.

I'm getting to the question:

Should we be worried? Could they possibly bark all night long? What other things should we consider or think about in regards to so many dogs being right next door? (The lot isn't huge so we are fairly close to the neighbor)

FWIW: The neighbor came out while we were seeing the house, presumably because the dogs were barking. It looked like he was trying to quiet them and he gave us a friendly wave.

Our realtor actually said that it's possible the house hasn't sold because of the dogs next door as she couldn't believe such a great house at a great price had been on the market so long.

So - what do you think??? Are we way too worried about this or is it a serious concern? THANKS

I get it totally because that is what our situation was when we moved into our house except it was four dogs.

they drove us crazy for a while.

However, one by one they have died.

IT took a couple of years but the first two died, then for some reason the remaining two calmed down and we never heard a peep out of them. Then they died as well.

Eventually they will get used to you. After a while the dogs didn't bark at us anymore. We learned their names, and even tho we didn't pet them, we would tell them to hush up.

Now it's other neighbors dogs that bark all night! LOL! Dogs can be an irritation, but I wouldn't let it stop you from buying a house. I'm glad we didn't let it stop us, cause now those dogs are gone.

I'm very much a dog person. I know what I'd do, but it may not be the right advice for you -- Since the neighbor seemed friendly I'd go talk to him and ask to meet the dogs. And then I could make a judgment about whether they're aggressive or not. It's relatively common for dogs, and especially those in multi-dog homes, to act protective/aggressive along a fence line. They kind of egg each other on, and being in a group makes them more confident than any of them would be alone. Of course that pack mentality can lead to trouble. But it's also very possible they're actually very sweet dogs who just have a "thing" about the fence line and that meeting them and then tossing a few treats over the fence now and then is all it would take to turn them into your best friends.

My dog barks at people quite aggressively sometimes. She not an aggressive animal at all and, though she has barked like a nut case each and every time there has been a new tenant next door, she has, every time but once, stopped once she realized these were not new people who didn't belong there. (The one time she didn't, there were young children who ran up and down the fence with sticks, poked things through at her and just generally teased her)

She doesn't bark all night because she's inside. During the day, if she starts some sort of protracted barking, I tell her to stop or make her come in.

If you are planning to fence the yard for play, I would recommend a fence that the dogs can't see through. (Ours has 1" gaps between the boards, by design) I think they're less likely to be disturbed by shapes running past that they can't make out that way.

You can always ask the other neighbors about the barking, but I do think it's perfectly normal dog behavior to bark at strangers in the normally empty yard next door.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I'm very much a dog person. I know what I'd do, but it may not be the right advice for you -- Since the neighbor seemed friendly I'd go talk to him and ask to meet the dogs. And then I could make a judgment about whether they're aggressive or not. It's relatively common for dogs, and especially those in multi-dog homes, to act protective/aggressive along a fence line. They kind of egg each other on, and being in a group makes them more confident than any of them would be alone. Of course that pack mentality can lead to trouble. But it's also very possible they're actually very sweet dogs who just have a "thing" about the fence line and that meeting them and then tossing a few treats over the fence now and then is all it would take to turn them into your best friends.

:iagree: This is what I'd do. I might also try to scope out some other neighbors, too, see if excessive barking is an issue (tho it really just sounds like a fenceline issue). I am admittedly a dog person, tho. One with 'scary' pit bulls who also bark at newcomers but are not on the least people-aggressive. So I am perhaps more likely than not to give the dogs the benefit of the doubt, if they are properly fenced and the owner appears responsible (which seems to be the case). Now if the were not properly fenced/owner less than responsible, that would be a whole different ball game.

I probably would not be too worried but I am the owner of a very large dog. They will likely get to know you. Right now they are thinking you are invading their space.

Could you knock on the owner's door and have a friendly chat with them, ask them if they think their dogs would calm down, would not threaten children, etc?

A lot depends on how dogs were raised. My mastiff looks fierce but would only lick a kid to death.

Edited by Liz CA

I would really love some advice from dog people. We just toured the most beautiful home today and three big, loud, aggressive dogs barked at us everytime we stepped outside. The dogs are properly fenced in next door but could see us through the fence and acted VERY aggressively.

Should we be worried? Could they possibly bark all night long? What other things should we consider or think about in regards to so many dogs being right next door? (The lot isn't huge so we are fairly close to the neighbor)

I'd walk away. Total deal breaker. They are rendering the house virtually unsellable and it will be the same for you. I never get in where I can't get out.

I regret buying our first house because of a barking German Shepherd right outside our bedroom window, and it was just one dog. I would have walked away, except the German Shepherd did not appear until our first night in residence; it was home with the daughter who visited almost every weekend. It was a nightmare for years.

Run, would be my advice, colored by my experiences. If the owner saw that the house was being shown and didn't immediately bring them in, he doesn't bring them in at night, or probably anytime.

Well a few things come to mind...

Don't do it, Don't do it, Don't do it....

If you aren't dog people, moving in next door to a house full of dogs that you already have an aversion to seems like a bad idea.

With that said, it is possible that the "aggressive" dogs next door may turn out to be real pussy cats, the best guardians ever and forever friends to your children once everyone is acquainted.

I liken it to if someone came in your front yard, back yard, or side yard and was snooping about you might get pretty scared, or even aggressive. The dogs have likely been having multiple interruptions to their day and routine since the house went on the market.

If you are willing, and only if you are willing to attempt to be friendly through the fence should you move forward with a purchase like this. I am guessing the people that own the dogs LOVE them very much and if that is the case, bad blood between you and the canines could also lead to bad blood between you and the new neighbors...a mess leading to an even bigger mess.

There are a million houses on the market...wait for the real "perfect" house. :)

With all that said...go with your gut, the above is just an opinion. :)

I consider myself a dog person AND I consider this situation a deal breaker. I could not *stand* being aggressively barked at every time I was in my own yard. It would make me resentful of the dogs and my neighbors, which is never a good situation. Many dogs are very protective of fence lines. It very well may be that they would never stop this behavior :tongue_smilie:.

We've lived in our neighborhood for 9 years and the neighbor's still barks nonstop at us, falling leaves, cars going by, lawn mowers, kids at the bus stop, people walking by, the dogs owners, their kids, other dogs, squirrels, rabbits...

It never stops barking even if it is taken inside; we love when they take him in and count our blessings that he isn't an outdoor dog.

I'd think long and hard before purchasing a home with 3 aggressive dogs next door.

I'd also be concerned that the owner didn't quiet them when he came outside.

Edited by Tammyla

We once had a piano teacher who taught piano in the back room of her house. To get to the back room we had to walk around the side of the house along her neighbor's fence. The neighbor had a black great dane who would run up to the fence barking as you walk along it. I've been around dogs all my life but that was terrifying. So I would have some serious hesitations. Would it be possible to go to the neighbor's next door neighbor and ask them how it is to live next door to those dogs? :)

This would be a deal breaker for me, too (and I like dogs). We looked at a house a few years ago and the first thing we noticed was loud, aggressive barking from the yard next door. I thought "no way" and almost walked away. Then we realized it was from the house we were looking at - so the dog was leaving with the owners! - so it was OK.

I would put up a fence. Once the dogs get used to you and stop seeing you, they will stop barking.

I don't agree with this based on our bad luck.

At our last house, our fence touched 4 back yards and all 4 of those houses had reactive dogs that barked and snarled. We couldn't go into our own backyard because it was too loud.

Until we got our two dogs, we barely set foot in our back yard because the neighbor dogs were so horrible with that deep gutteral bark. It was hard to sleep past 5 a.m. because that is when they started barking/growling at the other dogs. Good thing I was an early bird.

I would be very concerned.

I don't have a problem with dogs. I have two, 40 and 55 lb. house dogs, and when they go outside for a few hours, they do not bark. I just have a problem with barking dogs.

Oh, the windows are closed, the dishwasher is running right next to me, and I hear them barking outside right now 6:45 PM. :glare:

:iagree: I have two dogs and before these I had 2 other dogs. I HATE BARKING DOGS! I have barking dogs but I don't leave them outside to bark for more than a few minutes. If they continue to bark, I go outside and squirt them with the water bottle which shuts them up.

Proceed with caution or you could be listening and fearing those dogs!

When I was looking at homes to buy I found one I loved, it was the same price as this one but almost double the price, a bungalow but with a sunken livingroom, 4 bedrooms and a home office. I loved it! BUT the yard was essentially a hill, the house was on top. The neighbor's had a large agressive dog, the only fence was chicken wire and because of the slope of the yard the fence was almost even with sections of the grass. I did not feel it would be safe for my kids or myself to ever be in the yard because of this dog. We opted not to buy it.

Hmmmmmm - There are two close houses that could report if the dogs bark all day all night however they do not have a neighbor on the other side. (The land on the other side is undeveloped, privately owned).

I definitely feel more talked out of it than into it... it might be worth it to talk to the neighbors/dog owner just to feel like we aren't missing out.

I think my gut this whole time has been what one poster said - that if I say it's the "perfect" house but... it's not really the perfect house. Our kids having a great backyard playspace is really important to us and there are other things we can live without.

We had a neighbor with three little dogs that barked at us every single time we went out. One died, the other two kept barking. It didn't end until the neighbors moved.

On the other side, we were here first, the neighbor bought a puppy, we played with puppy. He grew up. He doesn't bark every time we are out, but frequently and very loudly as he is a huge dog. When I got on him for barking quite agressively at the kids, he bristled and tried to jump the fence at me.

So, yeah, the loud dogs would be a deal breaker for me and probably why the house is still on the market. :glare:

I consider myself a dog person AND I consider this situation a deal breaker. I could not *stand* being aggressively barked at every time I was in my own yard. It would make me resentful of the dogs and my neighbors, which is never a good situation. Many dogs are very protective of fence lines. It very well may be that they would never stop this behavior :tongue_smilie:.
]

me too. Total dealbreaker. I've never been in a situation with barking dogs where they eventually died off. A dog person will just get more dogs.

Any house can be made into home, but you have very little control over your neighbors and their animals.

I've seen so many suggestions for a good fence, and I know my thoughts are colored by my own dogs, but I just don't see how the expense of a fence has much of a chance of paying off.

My dogs bark, sight unseen. They hear and smell people from a pretty good distance. My house is somewhere around 100' from the road, and they still bark at the garbage men every week. And the UPS man, who is sometimes just as frequent, lol. They don't need to see anyone to know they're there.

I just think it's extremely risky to roll the dice on a huge financial committment PLUS the cost of fencing and just hope the dogs chill out. If they don't, living there will be a nightmare.

I would pass on the house.

I absolutely love dogs, but I do not love it when people leave their dogs unattended in their yards for hours at a time. If those dogs are both loud and aggressive, that would be enough to make me decide not to buy the house.

:iagree:

Until you have lived next door to a dog that WILL NOT SHUT UP you do not understand how absolutely crazy it can make you.

I have to agree that this would be a deal breaker.

After college, two friends and I moved into a side by side duplex, which shared a back yard. The other side had a Rottweiler. I'm not afraid of most dogs, but I was terrified of this one. It never stopped lunging and barking ferociously at us, even though we went over and met the dog with his owner, and even though he saw us every single day for two years. Our parking spot was at the back of the yard, and we had to walk past him every single time we went to our cars. I started trying to leave when I knew he wasn't outside. It was not a pleasant way to live.

I love momtoamiracle's solution, though: They'll all die eventually :lol::lol:

Wow. What an unkind, insensitive person you must be to laugh at the prospect of someone losing a beloved pet.:glare:

Op- If it is truly the perfect house- one you'll lose sleep over if you let it slip through your grasp, I'd try to meet with the dog owning neighbors (and the dogs.) You should be able to figure out pretty quickly if the dogs are on stranger alert (which is a good thing) or just plain aggressive. Dogs that bark when something isn't "right" in their world are wonderful to have around. A few years ago, there was a string of car break-ins on my street. I can remember saying to dh that I thought the GSD a few houses up was making odd barking noises (not her usual bark.) In the morning, we found out about the break-ins. I credit the dog with scaring the culprit(s) away.

One positive of the dogs next door is that your house would likely never be broken in to. You can get the positive of having a guard dog with out the muss, fuss or expense. However, you can't turn them off. ;)

My neighbor has a large dog who barks for very specific reasons, mail man, someone walking through the yard, etc. Once he starts he barks forever, but he's inside and I always make sure to look outside and see what's going on. He's like the immediate neighborhood stranger alarm. My neighbor has so many pluses that I would never even think about it being an issue, even though the dog occasionally leaves giant poops in my yard. This neighbor invites us to all his parties, we have cook outs, marshmallow roasts, and he lets me use his wifi. :D

I am sure the neighbor would love to have some good neighbors, and is quite aware that his dogs are likely the problem. If he could change them, I bet he would, but they're his famiy. You are lucky they were there and barking when you looked at the house. You have no idea if they will stay the same or warm up to you. Some dogs just bark like A-holes.

If it were me, I would not consider buying the house. You have to wonder if every time you and your family try to go outside and enjoy your yard, are you going to be barked and growled at the whole time. I would always be worried about the dogs getting out and attacking my children. Snarling and growling is just way to aggressive. If they did accidentally get out, they would definitely go after someone.

I have one of those dogs :D. His bark is horrible and since he is a German Shepherd, his *look* is very intimidating. That was one reason we got him in the first place. He is a family dog, but he is also protection.

Our dog loves our neighbors. He barks at newbs, but once you've been over a time or two, or he watches (from safely in the house) while I make friendly contact with you outside the house, he becomes loyal to YOU as well.

My advise will echo a previous poster's advice - ask the neighbor if you can come over and meet the dogs (one by one preferably)... or if you can meet the dogs on neutral "turf" (like on a walk). Talk to the dogs when you see them outside - be happy and calm about it. They will get used to you and no longer see you as a threat. Put your fence up and encourage your children to play where the dogs can see them (between your fence and the neighbor's fence, they are safe!); let the dogs get used to the children playing.

Our pup used to have it out for the mail man. The mail man speaks calmly to Luke and greets him enthusiastically. Luke loves the mail man now. He still barks at him - but it's his "hi! Wanna play?" bark - not his aggressive bark.

Some dogs just bark. Whenever I take the children walking, our neighbor's dog barks at us from the yard. This is a dog who plays with our children daily and loves us (and we love her!). She just barks. It's her thing. Lol.

I've seen so many suggestions for a good fence, and I know my thoughts are colored by my own dogs, but I just don't see how the expense of a fence has much of a chance of paying off.

It's going to vary by dogs. I can say from experience that my neighbor with the crappy see through fence and the two yappy terriers just replaced said fence with a nice vinyl one that's 2 feet taller and that you can't see through. Our dogs and his two yappy terriers used to bark at each other and run along the fence any time they were out at the same time. Since that new fence went in, we have almost no barking and if we do it's because there is a rabbit or something in the yard.

For me this wouldn't be a deal breaker. I wouldn't judge a dogs aggressiveness by their actions from the other side of a fence. Dogs can act very different when they think they are "protecting their territory" , so just because they seem that way when in the fenced yard, doesn't mean they'll act that way if they aren't in that yard.

I'm not saying dogs out of a yard off leash are ok and harmless, I'm just saying it's hard to judge the aggressiveness of a dog, when you're an unknown on the other side of the fence from them.

I wonder though if you put up one of those high Privacy fences where the dogs COULDNT see you, if that may help?

It didn't help here. Our neighbor dog barks at things he can hear, and our tall privacy fence hasn't meant a thing to him. Enough neighbors finally complained that the owners blocked his dog door and keep him inside when they're not home--which is a LOT :glare:

Yup, my dog that is almost labradoodle looking... sweet and barks like a mad man when you come in... fine... (and I don't keep him outside) for 3 Pit bulls that appear to be searching for lunch... nope... :(

Did I miss the part where the OP said they were pit bulls? I only remember her saying they were 'Large, dark colored' dogs, that doesn't mean pit bull. That could mean a lab too, or a great dane, or a newfoundland, or many other breeds.

My dog would give this impression from a slatted fence. He's tall, black, and barks like a maniac at strangers. I consider this a plus because it gets rid of solicitors quickly. However, the reality is that he's an alarm dog. He's afraid of his own shadow, he only weighs about 45 lbs, and he sleeps most of the day. With people he knows, he barks to announce their arrival, then goes back to sleep. He's also an indoor dog and is only out for 10 minutes at a time if we're not out with him.

All that said, I wouldn't talk to the dog owner. I'd talk to the neighbor on the ther side to see how he dogs act with them.