Menu

we are fine. I was never so scared in my life

we were one of those "stoopids" according to Gov. Christie that chose to stay. Big mistake. We live almost 1/2 mile from the ocean with the wetlands behind us and then the intercoastal waterway behind that. At high tide the water will come up in the wetlands but has never come up into our back yard, also our house is 4 steps up from the yard. After all the false alarms we decided to stay. The Mon. morning high tide the water came up to our first step, then the hurricane itself seemed not too bad. No one had told us that we were in the eye of the storm or about "the calm before the storm" The hurricane seemed to end, the sky was sunny, no wind at all. The back of our house is a sunroom that is mostly glass with an estra large sliding glass door that is the entire back wall ot the sunroom. Dh and I were sitting in chairs watching the stillness when in an instant the wind became the fastest I have ever heard and then way out in the wetlands I saw a series of waves starting. They started coming towards our back door and then hit the porch and sliding glass door, wave after wave with no pause between them. Dh said that I was frozen, that i kept saying "We are not on the ocean, we should not be having waves, this is not surposed to happen" he had to pull me from the sunroom and close the french doors that separate it from the rest of the house.

For 2 hours the waves smashed against that sliding glass door. All I could think of was if ti shattered then the waves would be crashing thru my house and the house was shaking also. I was never so scared. then finally the waves got smaller and then died down.

our car was off shore, we could not get it until late last night. We have no power at our house until NOV 5TH AND It is so cold here. We came over to my sil's today and I am using her laptop so sorry for typos. We will be spending the days here and going back to our house to sleep as sil has a small house and not enough room . My dd had gone to visit her boyfriend's parents in Mt. Laurel on Sat and is still there. We told her to stay until we get power. Dh, ds and I and 8 cats are sleeping in our king size bed under about 7 blankets and are staying warm until we get out of bed.s

so yes, we were "stoopid" and made what could have been a tragic mistake. But we are alive ', no water in house (at the 2nd high tide, it did come up to the 2nd step out of 4) a piling that came off a dock who knows where smashed into our garage door, ripped it almost off and then the contents of the garage came out and we have a 2 ft high pile of depris in our yard. We had been preparing for a realtor open house so I had about 20 bins of books packed in the garage (to make the house look less cluttered) so know we have soaked destroyed books all over our yard. I am trying not to think about that. After watching the news tonight I know we are very lucky

Edited by Jeannie in NJ

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. I am not sure how often i will get the use of sils computor but will try to check in often. also jst because we should have power nov 5th, the top of our comcast box was ripped off by the storm surge and the wires are all tangled up. who know when comcast willl come come out and restore our cable and interent.

Incredible. So glad you're ok.

We stayed home as well. We are a 1/4 mile from the ocean, and only lost a few roof tiles, which were repaired today.

I don't know what to think about any of this.

The devastation is incredible. I feel like so incredibly lucky, and we did not experience your terror.

Edited by LibraryLover

Incredible. So glad you're ok.

We stayed home as well. We are only 1/4 mile from the ocean, and we didn't get a drop of water in our basement, although in other minor storms, we have!

I don't know what to think about any of this.

The devastation is incredible. I feel like so incredibly lucky, and we did not experience your terror.

:grouphug: It is so random. I'm from south Louisiana. Hurricanes are just so very random. :grouphug:

Oh honey, I am sorry! I went through Katrina, with a similar experience (why didn't we leave? We are going to die!) and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. :grouphug:

So glad you are safe and sound- I hate hurricanes with the fire of a thousand suns. Hate. Them.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

forgot to mention that our house was completely surrounded by water, both from the waves in the back and very fast rushing water in the front. The water came up to within about a foot of my porch landing.

we checked out some of the ocean front houses today, some have walls and decks ripped off. we will be checking out the Boardwalk tomorrow. My first hot food when we came offshore last night to get the car was some hot pumpkin soup at a local diner.

Have to get off now and head back to our cold house with tons of blankets. hHope to be back on forum soon

We rode out Andrew in broward county. It was supposed to hit us dead on and no one knew it had actually taken a last minute wobble to the south hit lting Homestead until it was right on top of them. It can be so hard to make those decisions with all the sensational reporting and as you said, false alarms. Not to mention no one knows what the storm is going to do until it has already happened. Sorry for your trauma, and glad everyone is okay.

:grouphug::grouphug: So glad you are OK! What a terrifying experience. You are so lucky, and it is amazing that you didn't have water in the house. Try to keep warm tonight. :grouphug::grouphug:

And I am sorry about the books. I know, it could've been much worse. But did it have to be the books?! :glare::)

Take care, check in when you can. :grouphug:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Jeannie, I am so thankful that you & your family are safe! I've been reading through the updates and praying that we'd hear good news from you. I cannot imagine what you & other east coasters have been going through. Continued prayers for you & all affected by Sandy.