Menu

I have to tell a family their 18 year old is dying

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and I just don't want to go to work tomorrow. It will have to be via a translator, too. And we don't know the cause of his dementia, yet, and may never know.

WHAT??!!! I can't even believe this!!!!

I know it is a shot in the dark, but SO MANY with alz/dementia symptoms on the east coast have Lymes. Can you check for this? I hate to even ask to do the typical Elisa and Western Blot because even they aren't accurate.

We are all thankful for the work you do. How difficult.:grouphug:

Ah. So you'll be up all night processing the things your brain will be trying to go through all night long and wondering what you missed. :(

I hope you finally get some peace tonight to help you through the difficulties of tomorrow and I hope your DH is particularly tender with you. Sometimes that's all we can do.

I had a family member with rapid onset dementia that turned out to be Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, and it was so very hard to hear that news.

:grouphug: Praying for comfort for all.

My mother's cousin was diagnosed with this. It was very difficult for everyone.

:grouphug:

Ah. So you'll be up all night processing the things your brain will be trying to go through all night long and wondering what you missed. :(

I hope you finally get some peace tonight to help you through the difficulties of tomorrow and I hope your DH is particularly tender with you. Sometimes that's all we can do.

I don't tell him these things. He can't even stand to be in the room if someone has a headache. Some people are freaked out by illness.

I wish I knew what to say to the family. I have called them several times, but they never ask about prognosis, although I've given them hints that brain cells cannot grow back ... they are in the "bargaining" stage. Their son needs them to move on because they are going to have some decisions to make about medical intervention: how much and for how long.

Oh gosh. How heart breaking. A good translator is a must. Will the translation be in person or via telephone/audio only?

I am just getting into the technical aspect because I had to translate this once and it sticks with you for a while.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow!

I wish I knew what to say to the family.

All you can do is speak from your heart--with truth and compassion. Praying you get some rest this evening and some peace tomorrow.

You are given a hard task, but one I'm sure you can handle. The family is fortunate to have someone so caring at their side.