Menu

What do you consider a small house?

Ours is 1800 sq ft and I feel like it is too small. Of course I didn't when I was first married, but now, yes. And, I used to think the open layout was great. Now that my kids are older and can hear just about everything Dh and I discuss (from just about anywhere in the house), I'm not such a fan. And don't get me started on the book piles and the fact that it is impossible to clean around furniture.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have about 1300 in our current rental, and it is small for four adult-sized people. I think that has a lot to do with the layout, though.

The house was built in the 1950s and later had what was a patio/sunroom enclosed. That area is the largest room in the house, which we use as the living/family room. It's light and open and sunny and airy, and I love it.

But the original part of the house has all three bedrooms along one hallway and is very cramped and dark. So, that area feels very small. And the kitchen is not pleasant for me.

We have around 1200 sq ft for 4, soon to be 5 of us. We would eventually like a little more room, but it is laid out well for us now. I think 900 sq ft or less is small. We looked at several of those when we wanted to buy, there was nowhere to go. We would be on top of each other all the time.

We have about 1000sf for 6 of us. It's small but with no mortgage payment it's hard to think about moving. We plan on moving or bulding on in the next few years. I don't want more than about 1800 sf though. It won't be 6 of us forever and I don't want to be stuck cleaning a huge house when everyone has moved out.

We have about 1000sf for 6 of us. It's small but with no mortgage payment it's hard to think about moving. We plan on moving or bulding on in the next few years. I don't want more than about 1800 sf though. It won't be 6 of us forever and I don't want to be stuck cleaning a huge house when everyone has moved out.

I'm with you on not wanting more space later, but right now I wish I had bigger rooms so I could actually clean around furniture without major weightlifting. It would help a little if we could finish our bsement---but no $$, so that isn't happening.

In general, I consider less than 1200 feet to be small. Bigger houses can feel small for subjective reasons like layout and family size.

I wouldn't want less than 3000 sq ft (including the basement), but I live in the land of cheap(er) housing. Our first house was 980 sq ft with 2 small closets and no basement. It would be unpleasant to go that small with 4 kids.

Edited by Meriwether

I'd say about 1200 sf. We're currently in about 1100 sf and this feels right, but ds has the whole dormer to himself. Our previous house was 2k sf and it was too much. I've always wanted a big house, but the layout was awful. Our current home has much better flow and use of space.

We (family of 4) moved from a 3200 sq ft house to 1500. Then we added a medium-sized dog. Our first house was too big but this one is way to small for us. Part of the reason is the layout. It's a split level and it's terrible. There is no place in the house you can't hear what's going on elsewhere. Part of the reason is lack of storage. We do have a lot of stuff, but it's not just a matter of decluttering. It's not excess stuff that we don't use. We don't have excess toys or kitchen gadgets that we don't use. We use our stuff, but there is not a place for everything. There's no one answer to the question because everyone has different needs.

I think a house is (too) small if it has less than 300 s.f. of living space per person. I think a house that has less than 2,000 s.f. of living space is small, no matter how many people live in it.

I agree with the first part, can't comment on the second b/c I've never lived in more than 1400sf.

We have 157sf/person. It's awful, and the layout is no help at all!

(It was 220sf/person when we bought it, but I had smaller people then. ;))

Smaller is not a bad thing when it comes to cleaning. I kinda miss the 1100 sq ft because I could clean it from top to bottom very quickly. Now I have a lot more to clean.

Unless you can't arrange furniture for easy cleaning--which is my problem. In several rooms there is no way to vacuum thoroughly without actually moving the furniture. Sometimes I even consider getting rid of some of it. Also, some clutter issues I need to work on---as another poster mentioned. But, are books clutter? Maybe that's a question for another thread!

It really is more about the design of the space than the actual amount of space. We are in a single-wide mobile home with no basement, but our living room here is a lot larger than our living room in our previous 1800 sq ft house so we have more room in the room we spend most of our time in. The master bedroom is larger in the trailer also, but I don't really appreciate that much (wasted space imho).

I can't hear anything from one end of the place (our bedroom) to the other (their bedrooms) either, and between the storage that is part of the structure and the storage that we have configured ourselves we are quite happy with three adults and four children in this space.

Now ask me how I can live with my adult daughter and her two year old in this space plus another grandchild when I would rather just have to cook, clean, do laundry for, and babysit for my dh and two underage dc........

We (family of 4) moved from a 3200 sq ft house to 1500. Then we added a medium-sized dog. Our first house was too big but this one is way to small for us. Part of the reason is the layout. It's a split level and it's terrible. There is no place in the house you can't hear what's going on elsewhere. Part of the reason is lack of storage. We do have a lot of stuff, but it's not just a matter of decluttering. It's not excess stuff that we don't use. We don't have excess toys or kitchen gadgets that we don't use. We use our stuff, but there is not a place for everything. There's no one answer to the question because everyone has different needs.

Oh yes, I should have mentioned 1800 sq ft with 4 people and 3 dogs (1 large, 1 med, and one small-med) and 3 dog crates to fit in somewhere. Some days I am really envious of breeders who have a small room just for dog crates.

Smaller is not a bad thing when it comes to cleaning. I kinda miss the 1100 sq ft because I could clean it from top to bottom very quickly. Now I have a lot more to clean.

I have 1100sf, and I could never clean it in one swoop. Maybe if it were empty, lol.

To be fair, I can get a good deal done if dh takes the kids out. You know, so the action figures STAY put away, the floor STAYS crumb free, and I'm the only one using a bathroom! :lol:

It's zone defense around here, so there are several rooms that don't get touched until the dust is intolerable.

I think a house is (too) small if it has less than 300 s.f. of living space per person. I think a house that has less than 2,000 s.f. of living space is small, no matter how many people live in it.

Agreed.

I find it interesting the huge variety of opinions on this topic. I wonder if ones' opinion depends more on how one grew up or on the area in which one currently lives. In the Raleigh-Durham area of NC, I have read the average home size is close to 2000 sq feet, so maybe that is why I think anything less is a smaller home?

I do think that in general, Americans have more square footage than we need. But I like it that way. :001_smile: I don't do well in close quarters, although I guess I could get used to it if it were the norm.

I think anything under 1000 sq. ft. is small. We're a family of 5 in a 1200 sq. ft. ranch, but we do have the basement. It's not actually finished, but clean and dry enough for a large playroom (half the basement, so 600 sq. ft.). I have never lived in a home without a basement before and don't think I would want to.

We are considering moving to a different neighborhood and are keeping in mind that just because the square footage of most homes there is more than what we have, since they are 2 stories, the basement is much smaller than what we currently have.

I'm afraid to admit this, but I feel like our nearly 1800 sq. ft. home is too small. We are 3 adult and 2 teenagers. I grew up in a small place but as a teen it was just me and my mom so our tiny 2-BR apartment didn't feel small. But this is by far the smallest home I've owned. Company is either all or nothing. We're either all in the combo living room/kitchen/dining area, or some are in their bedrooms. I feel like my kids spend way too much time in their bedrooms but there isn't any other place to go in the house.

If dd20 ever moves out, we can use her bedroom to be additional family room space, but it's downstairs and there is no bathroom down there. But I'm in no hurry for her to leave. She has no where to go.

Our 2-br 900sf apartment was small, but not too small for our family of 3 (at the time); however, it would be too small for us now as dh works from home about half the time and needs a dedicated office space. But our 4-br 2200sf rental house is such a pain to clean, and probably about 500sf of that is the finished basement that we never use. (So we're using about 1700sf.) The layout is not ideal for us (open floor plan, huge bedrooms, high ceilings which make the stairs go on forever, and garage in the basement), so that does not help me appreciate the size.

We have little children, which I'm sure makes a difference.

ETA: To answer your question, I would agree with others who say 1200 is small.

Edited by cottonmama

Our is 1,100 sq ft, and I vacuum every night. It's very quick.

Actually cleaning? Yeah, it takes a while, but not as long as a 4,000 sq ft home. I think two keys are living with less stuff and being organized. I'm still working on the less stuff.

My parents have a larger home, and they have more stuff filling those closets and such that never even get looked at. I have a mental inventory of everything we own. :lol:

I have 1100sf, and I could never clean it in one swoop. Maybe if it were empty, lol.

To be fair, I can get a good deal done if dh takes the kids out. You know, so the action figures STAY put away, the floor STAYS crumb free, and I'm the only one using a bathroom! :lol:

It's zone defense around here, so there are several rooms that don't get touched until the dust is intolerable.

I'm with you on the open floor plan thing. The older my kids have gotten the more I dislike it. From my kitchen I can see/hear the teens on one side and the little ones on the other. In a way it's a good thing but sometimes I would just like to be in the kitchen with my own thoughts or music!

As far as space - our first home was around 1800 sf feet. There were 6 of us though our children were very young. It was starting to feel a little cramped. But you know how bulky toddler and baby equipment/toys can be. We now have over 3400 finished square feet. It's nice but expensive to furnish and decorate. And cleaning...yes, sometimes I wish we'd gone with a smaller house!

If we went back to a smaller home I would be sure to eliminate all clutter and make sure I chose small, multi-functional furniture. I would probably choose neutral colors to make sure it felt spacious.

I would say under 1000 for a 4+ person household is relatively small. We have 1800 sf for our family of 5 (we have a basement which is almost finished but it is not used yet. We have extra room in lots of places. I miss when our house was 1150 but layout was messed up and the dining room impossible to seat more than 4 and even that was very tight.

We have 6 living in 1800 square feet and it's plenty. One room is our garage substitute since we have no garage. It's set up with work benches, tool wall, and laundry. Another room isn't absolutely necessary and we'd be fine w/o it. Before here we lived (temporarily) in 1300 square feet and before that in 1600 square feet. All were good layouts for us. The 1300 square foot house felt small-ish, but we all really liked that house. Like so many others have said, I think it does depend SO much on the layout.

We have 4 of us in 1000 sq ft. and it feels just right. There are times I wish I had more kitchen cabinets, but it really just keeps me from buying more stuff I don't really need. We only have about 8 years before dds will be off to college and then the house will probably feel way too big.

I think it depends on the way the home is laid out. Our family of 8 lived in an 1850 sq. ft home and the only thing that was *too* small about it was that it only had a 1-car garage and no basement--and those things aren't usually counted in square footage if I remember correctly! It was a great little house. :)

However, we are going to be looking for another house to rent (maybe own) in the next 6 months and I'd prefer it be at 2000 sq. ft or so, with a basement that is at least partially finished. We don't need large bedrooms, but we like to open our home to others and are anticipating grandkids one day, so it would be nice to have the kitchen and living areas a little larger. But again, if they are a bit open to each other (not the kitchen IN or overlooking the living area, though), smaller can really work. I'm NOT interested in a traditional colonial because the rooms seem like boxes lined up and stacked on top of each other! lol

We have 1300sqft right now. It is snug, but I don't consider it tiny. We lived in 600sq ft when we first got married (no kids) It would have still been ok with one kid.

With our lifestyle (homeschooling, a dh that works from home and needs a quiet office) we are more comfortable in 2000+.

We had 1900 square feet in our old house. As the kids got older, it started to feel a bit small, but I think we could have finished a room in the basement and been pretty comfortable long term (even going from 5 to 6 people).

Right now we have 2800+ square feet, and it feels HUGE. I like it, though. I like having space to spread out, plenty of wall space for bookshelves, etc. And since it's the same number of bathrooms and bedrooms, it doesn't feel like that much more to clean. It pretty much just takes longer to vacuum.

We looked at several houses around 2200 or 2400 square feet before we moved that felt very cramped. Around here, most of the older construction houses (and by "older" in this part of Georgia, we mean late 70's through the 80's :D) are colonials....so usually a 4 over 4 or 5 over 4 floor plan. With that floor plan, we found that anything under 2500 square feet felt pretty claustrophobic. Our old house had just 7 rooms, and the downstairs had absolutely no wasted space--dining room, kitchen, living room, and master bedroom with no hallways. Stuffing 2 extra rooms into just a bit more square footage (and putting in a useless foyer and center hallway) did not work well in the boxy colonials.

It really depends more on the floor plan than the number of sq. ft. 1800 of badly laid out sq. ft. might be too small. While 1800 sq. ft. of well laid out floor space may be considered large.

:iagree: We have about 1800 square feet and I definitely think of our house as large. We have 5 good size bedrooms on 2 levels (4 levels in the house altogether), and a family room on a separate level from our living room area. It is a split level with somewhat of an open plan.

I would *never* consider our house to be small. Never.

Could it also have to do with where you live? I come from DC and have always lived in metro areas (mainly Vancouver and now NYC.) Maybe in the Midwest/Texas area houses can be bigger????

I think number of people sharing the space is a factor. For us, we have lived in 1300 square feet, with the 4 of us. By the time the boys were mid-elementary, that was too small. So I would consider small anything under 1300-1400. I would probably not consider a house that was smaller than 2000-2200 square foot for us, even after the boys leave home. I want enough bedrooms for them to come home to with their families (so two guestrooms) plus a room for a study. I do not want that to be space that gets converted when guests come, as we may still want to use it while they are here.

In general, I'd say anything less than 2,000 sq. ft. is small.

However, if you have two people living in 1200 sq. ft., that's definitely going to feel much roomier than six people living in it.

Our home now is over 3,000 sq. ft with anywhere from 3-5 people in it (depending on who's home from college). The space is sufficient, but sometimes (because the design leaves something to be desired...open floor plan, so it can be loud), I would like a different layout.

I love my master suite (it's on its own level), and it's my retreat during the day when I need a break to read.

The first house my dh and I bought after we got married was 1238 sq. ft. It was perfect for the two of us, and was even ok after we had our first two children. We moved when our kids were 7 and 5, because it was starting to feel snug, even thought the layout was extremely efficient.

They were both sharing one of the upstairs bedrooms, because we were using the downstairs bedroom for a schoolroom. I'm not big into kids sharing bedrooms (I believe everyone needs some private space all their own), and I didn't want to lose the schoolroom, so my dh got transferred out of state at an opportune time.

Having said all that, we now use our kitchen table as the schoolroom, because it's more central and my youngest prefers to "spread out". :lol:

In the end, I think it's what you're used to. I grew up in a home that was almost 5,000 sq. ft. It was huge (my parents had two kids), and a pain to keep clean. I vacuumed MILES of carpet (shag carpet...it was the 70s) every week and had to clean FOUR bathrooms. I wasn't interested in that as an adult.

If you grew up in a small house, that may be what you're used to and what you prefer. I loved our 1200 sq. ft. house...it was very cozy. But that amount of space with teenagers would have driven me nuts. However, if you grew up in 700 sq. ft...1200 might seem cavernous.

It's all relative.

It really is more about the design of the space than the actual amount of space.

That can really be a factor. Our last house is about the same size as our current house BUT this house "feels" bigger because of the way the space is used.

no basement--and those things aren't usually counted in square footage if I remember correctly!l

It all depends on whether or not the space is finished (dry wall, heating & air, flooring, window or door to outside). In both states where we have sold and bought homes, those were the main criteria to determine if the basement space counted in the square footage.

It depends how big the kids are too IMO. When we lived in 1400 sq. ft and the kids were really young, it wasn't so bad. Now that they are older I can see where that would have been tough long term.

We now live in a very large house but the layout isn't really that great. We are actually looking at moving and I think a 2800 sq. ft house would be perfect if the layout suits our needs.

But 1500 or smaller I would call small but livable. 1000 or less with 5 people would be very small and anything under 800 sq. ft. would be extremely cramped.

Maybe it is all about how the space is used. I'm amazed people think under 2000 is small, as ours is under1500. But there are only 3 bedrooms, so most of it is living space. And the bathrooms are not big. Not tiny, but not big. So There is an eat in kitchen, a dining/living room combo, and a family room with a fireplace that looks into the kitchen. Plenty of space. Now, yes, a study or office for DH would be nice, or an extra bedroom, but for everyday living this is plenty. And more house means more cleaning, which I do NOT want.

Ours is about 1800 sf, not counting the finished basement. I don't consider our house too small, but just right for our family of 4. We considered moving into a bigger house because a little more space would be nice, and all our friends have upgraded to larger houses, but decided against it. There's more upkeep involved, and with the economy, it makes more sense for us to stay here.

Maybe it is all about how the space is used. I'm amazed people think under 2000 is small, as ours is under1500. But there are only 3 bedrooms, so most of it is living space. And the bathrooms are not big. Not tiny, but not big. So There is an eat in kitchen, a dining/living room combo, and a family room with a fireplace that looks into the kitchen. Plenty of space. Now, yes, a study or office for DH would be nice, or an extra bedroom, but for everyday living this is plenty. And more house means more cleaning, which I do NOT want.

:iagree: I think under 1200 is small. 2000 is quite large to me. Now, raising my 4 boys and 2 dogs in the 1300 sq ft post-WWII era house we had in CA would have been tough but it was ample for the two kids and 1 dog we had at the time. I grew up in a 1500 sq ft. House with a family of four and it never seemed small to me. Where I live in San Antonio, all the houses are pretty big if not huge.

I think if you have a lot of things in a house, it can seem much smaller. I've tried really hard to keep our house decluttered, but it is harder now that we don't move every two years. I'm in a decluttering, deep cleaning mode right now.

It really depends on how many and the ages of those living in the house. A smaller home with two small kids might be just right, but a smaller home with two teenagers may seem cramped. We live in a 1500 sq. ft. house with two teens, and I would not go any smaller for our situation, but I wouldn't go a whole lot larger either. I like the closeness of everyone in our home.