Menu

What do you consider a small house?

I think it entirely depends on the number of people in the family and their needs.  I just sold a house to a couple with no kids that was 1000 sq ft, and it was perfect for them.  If my family of 5 tried to live there, I'd go nuts.  We live in a 2100 sq. ft. house which was perfect when my girls were little.  Now, that they are approaching the teenage years, I would love another 300-400 sq. ft. at least.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a family, I think less than about 1200 sq ft. is small. 2000 + sq. ft. is a large home. Every time I hear about someone's 2500 sq. ft. "starter home" my mind boggles.

That said, basement and garage space matter. Whenever I read an article about living in a small home, there seems to be some tip about how to use basement or garage space. Some people really have just 1100 sq. ft. for their family's use.

We have slightly more that 1400 sq. ft. plus a large garage/unfinished basement. I think it is a very sensible size for a family of 5. I would prefer an office, another bedroom, and a second living space in my ideal world, although I am not willing to pay more to get those things.

I'm ecstatic that we will be moving into a 1900 sqft house. We are four in 1400 right now and have really outgrown it. Doesn't help that it's not laid out well. My friend just moved their family of three into 700sqft. Way too small for me!

The average new dwelling in the UK is 76 square metres, which is 818 square feet.

Our place in London is 1300 square feet: it feels airy because it has very high ceilings, but the individual rooms are small and there isn't much storage space. With a different layout (it has a lot of stairs and hallway) then that would be a good sized home - it has three bedrooms, one bathroom, one toilet, kitchen/diner and sitting room.

L

Mine is about 65 to 70 square metres (700 to 750 feet). There is just me and two active boys. We also have a mini sized garage filled with bikes and the laundry which I hope to claim as a craft room and a 30 metre square garden. For a 2 bedroom unit (1 storey joined to the neighbours) it is generous, most would be 600 square feet with little or no garden). I have no problem with the size but would love a third bedroom as the boys have completely different sleep cycles so I share the big room with the youngest. I can't imagine 2000 square feet though unless there are about 8 people.

I would also like an entry way and for the lounge not to double as a hall but on the whole I really like it.

We have been living in 1180 sf and it was big enough for us because it had an open floor plan so I didn't feel boxed up. The 3 kids share the master and the kitchen is 3 times the size of our last house (and I had a pantry! :lol:  it's the little things!) 

Now this weekend we are moving to the 1900 sf house I grew up in and it feels huge!!! We'll actually have a school room! :hurray: I actually looked up the sf because I thought it would be more like 2500 sf given how big the house feels. I guess layout really does matter!