Menu

I think they used to represent a rougher crowd, and they are often so...bold and permanent!

That being said, I think they are becoming more tasteful and less blatant, and much more acceptable in many crowds. Almost like a pierced ear.

I have two daughters that have a small flower tattoo on their back (which only shows in the summer), and my son has a small one on his hand.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a waste of money for something at this usually not nice to look at. At work you can almost predict a person's pay scale by the amount of tats. The more, and more sexual the tats (flames coming up out of the back of pants, seen when the young woman bends over), the lower the wages. The only exception I've seen are a couple of really great guys who came from youth gangs and are now professionals that REALLY help us with the "tough guys".

In the past, I've been rather unhappy my LOL (little old ladies) are being wheeled off to Xray by a young man with gruesome, death-head tats all up and down the arms. It upsets them. Some elderly are a bit confused, and seeing devils on arms doesn't help the general mood of the place.

It is a fashion I hope passes. Like those barrels stuck in peoples earlobes.

Don't they have to fix that?? I would freak out. Well another reason to add to my do not do list.

You'd think, right? I think the vampire teeth *was* the fix, honestly. She was about 20 when she got it, so probably didn't assert herself. I didn't pry because she seemed kind of disgusted with the subject.

ETA: ...and it's really big. Too many people I know who got them years ago and regret them for me to ever want one.

I don't have negative feelings about tattoos, but my in-laws do.....for women. Men are allowed to get them but not women. My dh was raised thinking that women with tattoos are trashy.

Imagine his surprise when while we were dating, and he obviously didn't think I was trashy, and he found out I have one. The look of his face was great. I had to laugh. It has been fun blowing his perception out of the water.

Oh, I also just found out that my elderly, super conservative, Christian, soft spoken, old fashioned neighbor has a tattoo. It's a tattoo in memory of her ds who was murdered about 8 years ago.

I worked in white collar desk jobs - nobody has tattoos or at least none showing. My DH works in a more blue collar environment with younger less educated workforce and tons of tattoos. So some of my opinion is formed by that. In few decades there will be lots of older people with tattoos and I'm sure that will end the fad.

This will become a hot topic on here, but I want to pose a question from the opposite pov.

Why do people get tattoos knowing there is a large segment of the population who have negative feelings about it and then get upset when they come across those people?

Believe it or not, it depends on where you live and who you associate with. I'm from Portland, Oregon, and tattoos are SO mainstream and common. There is no "large segment of the population" who hasn't met a zillion lovely tattooed people. If there are still people who think tattoos are trashy, I probably haven't met them because they are hermits.

If I came from a conservative area where I knew tattoos were seen as "trashy," then I would probably be more wary. As it stands, we are moving to an area that I suspect is more conservative than anywhere I have been before, and I'll just have to ignore the people who are so judgmental as to make conclusions about my social class based on a glimpse of my tattoo that has my husband's name framed by a vine of roses.

To be honest, I am in AWE of God's Hand of creation! Nothing man can create could improve it...now adding an artificial nose to someone who had been maimed or disfigured somehow...I have no problem with that...but to mark up one of the most beautiful creations is usually self-focused, self-driven, and more about 'me' than honoring God. The ones that get me are the sentimental ones where a child has died and they put a tattoo of their portrait...it's touching, but again...it's there for the person, it may comfort them, but I would prefer to remember the child for their beauty. I 'get' it...I just would rather hold on and wait until I could see the real thing again.

My husband has a Kokopelli that I like over a tribal band that I don't. The Kokopelli is meaningful because it is a symbol of fertility and childbirth. He got it after he caught our son (midwife hadn't yet arrived). The tribal band is stupid because it means nothing. And it's crooked. Then he has this HUGE scorpion he got on a whim once to "surprise me." Uh-huh. It's red and looks like a giant lobster. I loathe his lobster.

My SIL has a sun on her back that turned into a vampire-teethed sun when the artist slipped. She hates it.

Tatoos can be objectively beautiful, but usually they just seem...cluttered.

:iagree:

:iagree: It is not something that will affect an individual's standing in the church at all. And I can think of several women in my ward who do have tattoos.

And as my mother used to say (and she was not LDS by the way) , "Your body is a gift from God and not your personal canvas to draw all over like a little kid with a magic marker."

This reminds me of my daughter who did draw all over herself, all the way into her teens. She used to do awesome Chinese dragons on her thighs. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when she got a tattoo when she went away to college. I was thankful it was on her back.

I have two tattoos---one on my shoulder blade and one on my lower back. Husband has three--lower back, ankle and inside forearm. My mother had a tattoo on her back. My BIL is getting his first one. Two of my nieces have recently got tats. I have many friends (men and women) who have full arm sleeves and nearly full body tats as well as tats in other places. As far as pay scale--these people are high school teachers, nurses, managers, contractors, a lawyer, homeschooling mom, musician. I think they can be done poorly and not be very well done---but if researched to find the right artist (yes I said ARTIST) then they can be beautiful. People from all socioeconomic levels have tats.

More people may have tats then people think. No one who knows me in any sort of casual way would guess I had a tattoo because they are never visible. I've known people for years before they were ever aware I had them and they are not tiny. I don't care about visibility---they both meant something to me at the time I was getting them.

I don't believe it's a trend or fashion statement that will "go away"---people have been self decorating themselves in various ways since the beginning of time. For religious, cultural, personal, and artistic reasons.

To each his own. To each her own.

For me it's a sense of style / preference thing. Similar to how I don't like certain hair styles or types of shoes or styles of pants. I don't necessarily think less of people who have them. But I do think it's a permanent declaration of style and I change my style too often to get one. Likewise, I think of people with tattoos have having certain styles and, if anything, I think I feel sorry for them that they committed themselves to a style they can never escape. If that's okay with them, so be it, it's their body. But I will probably warn my daughter from them for that reason.

Fantastic! You summed up what I try to tell my daughter...way better than I can explain it. I am going to save this, and show it to her later!

I'm from Portland, Oregon, and tattoos are SO mainstream and common. There is no "large segment of the population" who hasn't met a zillion lovely tattooed people. If there are still people who think tattoos are trashy, I probably haven't met them because they are hermits.

Good point. We live in the Pac NW also and I very much love the Portland/Seattle culture. We homebirth, I have thought about putting dreads in my hair (but have never gone that far), we extended nurse...all of that is very normal around here. If we were ever to go back to the south though, I'm sure I would be considered more of a freak.

I am a smaller woman, was going to go to nursing school but dropped out to have my daughter, my dh makes good money and has a large calf tattoo (he is a former Marine) so the tough/butch/low paid stereotype doesn't hold up with us.

This will become a hot topic on here, but I want to pose a question from the opposite pov.

Why do people get tattoos knowing there is a large segment of the population who have negative feelings about it and then get upset when they come across those people?

That isn't the problem. The problem is people cannot state an opinion without being offensive. People don't have manners any more.

Nobody cares if so-and-so doesn't like tattoos. But, it is hardly surprising that the tattooed folk get upset when people call them trashy and low-class. :001_rolleyes:

Opinion that will offend: Tattoos are trashy and low-class, especially for women. Class warfare and sexism in one sentence, great.

Opinions that probably won't bother anyone: Tattoos are not my thing. I would be too scared because I know so many people who have regretted it and/or have badly done tattoos. I wish people wouldn't get scary and/or naked tattoos for public viewing. Personally, I find it strange that people would make a trend a permanent part of their body. I'm of an age where I've known lots of people who have had tattoos removed, ouch, no thanks!

WOW! Tacky and low class, really? To the people that have such a bad view of tattoos, I want to say, you are missing out on some amazing people! Such prejudice shocks me :confused1:. I don't have any tattoos. However, I think they can be so beautiful! My dh has hired guys to do very high paying jobs (desk, business jobs) with tats. My very best friend has tats; and she is one of the kindest, sweetest, most godly women I know. God does not look on the outward. He looks at the heart.:crying:

I examine naked people for a living and not even the majority of people under 30 have them.

The bolded could be your clue.

OTOH, I must live in trashy, low-class locale. I don't examine naked people for a living and I see tattoos everywhere.

Edited to correct weird wording :tongue_smilie: :lol:

Edited by sparrow

Personally I find them tacky and a big waste of money. I really don't care what other people do though.;)

:iagree: The inks fade and begin to look dirty. I can't stand to see people getting inked but then complaining that they don't have money for this that or the other thing. (I hear this a lot from young people at the climbing gym, who seem to put tats right up there with food and shelter.)

I wonder about some of the people who say "no one I know has a tattoo." Are you sure? I have two tattoos. No one would know it unless I told them.

Same here. I have two small ones, hubby has a large arm one and one small one elsewhere and most people don't know that we have them.

I think I know more people with tattoos than those I believe don't have them. We hang with a range of classes for what it's worth.

The bolded could be your clue.

OTOH, I must live in trashy, low-class locale. I don't examine naked people for a living and I see them everywhere.

I meant that what tats I see tend to be under 30. The under 30s have more than the over 30s, but not even a 20th have them. I see people from all over Washington state, from all kinds of backgrounds (although heavy on the seedy/bad childhood/drugs/low IQ population).

Leave near a nude beach? (You see naked people everyhere.)

:iagree: The inks fade and begin to look dirty. I can't stand to see people getting inked but then complaining that they don't have money for this that or the other thing. (I hear this a lot from young people at the climbing gym, who seem to put tats right up there with food and shelter.)

:iagree: yes! On a mothering board I used to be on one mom complained all the time about not having money for food for her young children. She showed us the huge back tattoo that he had been saving up for. :001_huh:

I find as I get older I would really like a to-do list template tattooed on the inside of my forearm. You would not believe the number of times I have reached for a paper-mate flair in the dark to write something down after I'm in bed. The pen is usually handy, I write on my arm so I don't misplace the reminder. A little check off box would be handy too. Then I could just wash off the list after they are accomplished.

As for other people, I don't care. I don't find them trashy, but I don't think they're all appealing. I like to hear the personal stories behind them. Most of the people I've talked to who have them have wonderful and thoughtful reasons to get their tattoo.

That isn't the problem. The problem is people cannot state an opinion without being offensive. People don't have manners any more.

Nobody cares if so-and-so doesn't like tattoos. But, it is hardly surprising that the tattooed folk get upset when people call them trashy and low-class. :001_rolleyes:

Opinion that will offend: Tattoos are trashy and low-class, especially for women. Class warfare and sexism in one sentence, great.

Opinions that probably won't bother anyone: Tattoos are not my thing. I would be too scared because I know so many people who have regretted it and/or have badly done tattoos. I wish people wouldn't get scary and/or naked tattoos for public viewing. Personally, I find it strange that people would make a trend a permanent part of their body. I'm of an age where I've known lots of people who have had tattoos removed, ouch, no thanks!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I examine naked people for a living and not even the majority of people under 30 have them.

That's interesting to note, given where you live. Granted, I live in the boonies, but I do not see many tattoos visible (even in summer) on the vast majority of people I see in my quite social little life. Of course, they could have them in hidden places, but it certainly doesn't seem to be a trend anywhere around here (or in the City either). At very least, it is not a trend that people seem willing to display.

When I was younger I thought they were kind of cool. But the older I get the more I appreciate the beauty of the unaltered human form. Tattoos have started to look more and more like messing up a beautiful thing to me.

I'd never tell you I didn't like your tattoos or anything, but I'll also never think they're wonderful. That's OK, you don't need my approval. :001_smile:

But the OP asked WHY? To answer that honestly, I can't say "Tats just aren't my thing. :grouphug:"

Sometimes the truth is good, warts and all, and if I asked a why question, I'd like to hear people's *real feelings*. Perhaps a young person would like to know some future employer is going to think of some untrue excuse as to why they aren't hired, when it is the tats or piercing that turn their head to the other 152 applicants.

That's interesting to note, given where you live.

There are enclaves. Olympians have more, and so do people from Capitol Hill. But Cowlitz county (called Cowlick county by some), nope.

It just struck me, though. I wear long sleeves all year here. It is so rarely stinking hot. I'm now wondering if art tats are more common in shorts and tanktop and flipflop parts of the US.

I do recall one all down a young woman's back. It was a series of scenes depicting increasingly S-M scenes. She was a stripper, and part of her act was lowering her clothes off the pictures one at a time.

Edited by kalanamak

I was raised during a time when tattoos were considered trashy and low-class, so I will probably always have a bias against tattoos simply for that reason. It has nothing to do with any particular person who has a tattoo, it's just the general feeling I've grown up with. I think it can be quite jarring to see a pretty young woman with snakes up and down her arms. Or even nice flowers or something pretty, but with clothing that clashes with the colors.

Family members and friends of mine have tattoos. I don't dislike them or shun them because of their tattoos! (Unless they are of the group that complains of being broke but finds money for a new tattoo. Deny your kid dental care but spend the cash on a tattoo? Not cool. I assume those people are the minority of tattoo-bearers.)

I don't have a religious objection to them, though I do believe in dressing and behaving in a modest fashion, and a visible tattoo to me is not modest. (Modest as in: not calling undue attention to oneself.)

I don't want to offend anyone with my opinion, but opinions were requested! ;)

I don't mind them, but I doubt I'd ever get one. I am kind of picky about the quality I would be happy with, and they often look bad as people age.

I also don't much like the little, easily covered ones - some are so small they look like a melanoma or something. I kind of feel that if I were to get a tattoo, I'd want one which showed some commitment to the idea.

The big turn-off for me though is the cost - there are so many other things to spend $500 on. A new fridge, a trip to London, music lessons for the kids, whatever.

I wonder about some of the people who say "no one I know has a tattoo." Are you sure? I have two tattoos. No one would know it unless I told them.

Ah, Ha! If your tat is not visible, it is rather like not having one, no? If no one has to look at it and think: that's ugly or that's an offense to God or only low class people do that, then you've spared them, and they will go on about their business.

There also might be a difference in people who do private vs. obviously meant for public viewing tats. At work there are people with ones in "private places", like upper thigh, but they just go to the break room and lift or lower as needed so their girlfriends can oooh and cooo over it. :D

Fantastic! You summed up what I try to tell my daughter...way better than I can explain it. I am going to save this, and show it to her later!

Thanks, I just pulled it out of my rear. :tongue_smilie: But I did copy and paste it into a document I have on my laptop entitled "Things I Want to Tell My Daughter When She is the Right Age." I'm worried I'll forget all my wisdom by then. You know, because wisdom for other people's circumstances is always easier to come up with than wisdom in the moment. :D

But the OP asked WHY? To answer that honestly, I can't say "Tats just aren't my thing. :grouphug:"

Sometimes the truth is good, warts and all, and if I asked a why question, I'd like to hear people's *real feelings*. Perhaps a young person would like to know some future employer is going to think of some untrue excuse as to why they aren't hired, when it is the tats or piercing that turn their head to the other 152 applicants.

I agree, a question was asked and an honest answer given. If you do not want an answer do not ask the question.

On a hs discussion board where there is a degree of anonymity this should be the safest place to ask such a question.

Yes.....for many of a certain generation they are ugly, low class and something that a lady would never have. That is the truth, unvarnished and factual. Society may be changing as may societal mores but many still hold the aforementioned views and I am glad that they were also honest enough to answer when asked....in today's PC world a touch of honesty is rather refreshing.

I am neutral about tattoos--very much a to each his/her own thing approach. My sister has two and would like another. I know a couple of hsing moms with them and I can see the appeal to them but I personally hate needles and just am not interested in the costs and risks involved. I did get pierced ears as a teen but have not worn earrings in over a decade. Pretty sure I can't put in earrings anymore but the holes aren't exactly grown over. Sometimes they still get swollen or red for random reasons.

I did recently learn that DH thinks most men with tattoos have been in prison. He does have a family member who came out of prison covered in tattoos. I tried to dispute this (I don't want the kids to make a judgement of someone just because they have a tattoo) but I didn't get very far. DH was also recently upset to see a college student in an untucked shirt and jeans introduce President Obama. I think we are just getting old.

I'd also say, that while I think it would be pretty rude to tell someone that you thought tattoos were trashy looking in a face to face way or out of the blue, it is a bit different to say it in response to a question like the OP made. It sounded to me like a person who was really wanting to know how other people perceived tattoos, and I tend to assume if people ask something like that, they actually want an answer.

It is a less common attitude today, but not that long in the past tattoos were largely restricted to a very few social groups, like bikers and sailors and prisoners. That really coloures the perception of people who grew up in that environment.

This. I fear hepatitis. http://hepatitis.about.com/od/lifestyle/a/tattoos.htm . Many , many clients I see have hep and are IV drug users. They all have tattoos. Not appealing to me personally for those reasons. Do I think anything about someone who has one?? Nope. Their deal completely and I have seen some breathtakingly beautiful artwork. It is just not my cup of tea personally. I also loathe Jane Austen and love reading any novel by one of the Bronte sisters. To each his or her own. I would not, however, find a tattoo attractive in a potential lover were I single. Tomato, tomatoe. :lol:

Ah, Ha! If your tat is not visible, it is rather like not having one, no? If no one has to look at it and think: that's ugly or that's an offense to God or only low class people do that, then you've spared them, and they will go on about their business.

There also might be a difference in people who do private vs. obviously meant for public viewing tats. At work there are people with ones in "private places", like upper thigh, but they just go to the break room and lift or lower as needed so their girlfriends can oooh and cooo over it. :D

No, having a tattoo that's not obvious is NOT the same as not having one at all. I went through the process of choosing them, saving up for them, and having someone paint them permanently onto my body with needles. I'm pretty sure that's exactly like having one. The only difference is the location I chose and the apparent benefit of not having to deal with judgy people every time I go out in public. :rolleyes:

For me, I've never seen a picture that was prettier than skin. But I know DH wants one someday. My ex dh got one...i hated it. It was MUCH larger than I thought it was going to be, and was a buddhist symbol, when he knew very little about buddhism. bleh.

I only know a handful of people who have tattoos. Most of the people I know do not have tattoos.

I am not a fan. I think most of the time they just aren't all that attractive and I feel like the super visible/large/bold ones are just a scream for attention. That being said, I don't care what someone else does to their body. When I was younger, I had a navel and a tongue ring:001_huh:. Not really sure why. I was in a different place in my life then.

I don't think they're trashy, but I don't think they look nice either. I have several friends with tasteful tats, but I still don't care for them. I'm well over 50, so I most certainly grew up in an era when tattoos were only for thugs and Navy (or ex-Navy) guys. Things change, and I accept that. So while I still wouldn't want one, and don't think they look good, I no longer associate them with unsavory types or military men. They're somewhat mainstream around here.

I was raised during a time when tattoos were considered trashy and low-class, so I will probably always have a bias against tattoos simply for that reason. It has nothing to do with any particular person who has a tattoo, it's just the general feeling I've grown up with. I think it can be quite jarring to see a pretty young woman with snakes up and down her arms. Or even nice flowers or something pretty, but with clothing that clashes with the colors.

Family members and friends of mine have tattoos. I don't dislike them or shun them because of their tattoos! (Unless they are of the group that complains of being broke but finds money for a new tattoo. Deny your kid dental care but spend the cash on a tattoo? Not cool. I assume those people are the minority of tattoo-bearers.)

I don't have a religious objection to them, though I do believe in dressing and behaving in a modest fashion, and a visible tattoo to me is not modest. (Modest as in: not calling undue attention to oneself.)

I don't want to offend anyone with my opinion, but opinions were requested! ;)

I'm closing in on 50. I've never had beautiful skin and it is quickly going downhill (genetic). As I watch my nieces and nephews acquiring tattoos, I wonder what their tattoos are going to look like when their skin starts to wrinkle and sag. I have a feeling it isn't going to be pretty. :001_huh: