Menu

I don't get upset when people don't like tattoos. I don't give a rip what people think of me or my tattoo. If people judge me on the fact that I have a tattoo, then they are idiots, and it's their loss, not mine.

Said in the nicest way possible, of course. :D

But if you don't like tattoos, why do you have to make that known? How about just not saying a word? Like my mom, who has never said one. single. word. about my eyebrow ring. ;)

Tara

So....in this thread where an opinion was asked for...you would prefer that those who dislike tattooes just kept their opinion to themselves? Or they could express their dislike in only certain approved terms?

I gave an honest and sincere opinion up thread. I called no one trashy, but instead stated that's the attitude I grew up with (conveyed to me but adults during my youth). I also said my sons have tats...clearly I LOVE those young men. Just wish they didn't have tats.

Don't I get to have an opinion?

AND, let's be clear here, I doubt anyone of us would tell someone with tats our opinion face to face even if asked. My sons do know it's not something I feel proud of so that may be the exception. I believe I never mentioned any negative reaction to oldest son's tat. Mostly because he didn't ask. Youngest did, so he got a quiet I wish you hadn't from me.

But on a message board? One of the reason I still hang out here is the diversity of opinion gathered on this board.

Please don't squelch honest opinions. Some of the opinions on other threads may be offensive to me and I promise to grant you that same grace.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get upset when people don't like tattoos. I don't give a rip what people think of me or my tattoo. If people judge me on the fact that I have a tattoo, then they are idiots, and it's their loss, not mine.

Said in the nicest way possible, of course. :D

But if you don't like tattoos, why do you have to make that known? How about just not saying a word? Like my mom, who has never said one. single. word. about my eyebrow ring. ;)

Tara

Because the opening post asked why people felt negatively towards tattoos?

It wasn't a specific question but an abstract one, and typically internet forums are one of the places people feel they can ask a question like that and get an honest answer without having to have a personal, and potentially embarrassing conversation with someone face to face.

Why not ask why the OP would ask a question likely to bring out answers about why some people don't like tattoos. Or why not ask why people likely to be offended by the answers would read them?

Tara

Well, as far as this particular discussion goes, the original question was "Why the negativity about tattoos" which several people took to mean that this was a safe place to openly discuss negative opinions.

I doubt many people here go blasting out their preferences at random. I have all sorts of conversations IRL in which I don't give my true opinion because it would be hurtful. But if someone directly asks, I might consider telling them, although I'll often skirt around the issue and redirect the conversation.

If you don't like negative opinions about tattoos, why did you even read the thread?

Working in pediatrics, I can tell you FOR SURE that tattoos on a teen (late teen 18-21) or the parent (large visible tattoos) will get a notation in a file to be aware that the child may be at risk. Often parents who have tattoos also smoke, use illicit drugs, consume alcohol, engage in risky sexual behavior, are less likely to have a college degree, and generally earn lower wages than those who do not. It is one sign (of several) that a physician will use to predict things about a patient's lifestyle and the environment in which the child may be raised.

Well thankfully we go to a more enlightened pediatrician. Can you believe my beer-brewing husband (with the college degree and senior manager white collar job, no less!) with the large visible tattoos adopted two special needs kids from orphanages? He defies all stereotypes!

Since you work in pediatrics, maybe you could tactfully point out to your colleagues the ridiculousness of their stereotyping and profiling.

Tara

It kills people, and it is a whale, but it's not a killer whale.

Sperm whale :D

Bill

*cough*

Well thankfully we go to a more enlightened pediatrician. Can you believe my beer-brewing husband (with the college degree and senior manager white collar job, no less!) with the large visible tattoos adopted two special needs kids from orphanages? He defies all stereotypes!

Since you work in pediatrics, maybe you could tactfully point out to your colleagues the ridiculousness of their stereotyping and profiling.

Tara

:iagree:

Because somebody asked on a public forum.

Sorry, I was speaking in general. Where I live, it's not unusual at all for people to mention publicly, around people with tattoos, how trashy and ugly tattoos are. Like the nice woman I work with, who regularly rants about how much she hates the tattoos on our customers. She rants to us, her tattooed coworkers. :)

Tara

Working in pediatrics, I can tell you FOR SURE that tattoos on a teen (late teen 18-21) or the parent (large visible tattoos) will get a notation in a file to be aware that the child may be at risk. Often parents who have tattoos also smoke, use illicit drugs, consume alcohol, engage in risky sexual behavior, are less likely to have a college degree, and generally earn lower wages than those who do not. It is one sign (of several) that a physician will use to predict things about a patient's lifestyle and the environment in which the child may be raised.

That's actually truly appalling to me. I have no tattoos. Nor do either of my children. However, I suspect we're in the minority in our social circle. The idea that the lovely people I know, better parents than average, as far as I can tell, are being stereotyped this way makes me want to scream.

Holy cow, people, sorry!! I didn't mean people talking about it on a message board! I'm not that daft! I'm not trying to squelch anyone!

Tara

Speaking for myself, I keep seeing posts on this thread wherein people are upset about the negative comments about tattoos ... which really struck me as weird considering it's a thread about negative views. And your post popped up, and I jumped on the chance to say something about that.

I can see now that your comment was more along the lines of the original question, pondering the mysteries of why someone like your coworker would rant about something like that.

Time for a round of :chillpill::chillpill::chillpill:

I think that anyone who gets a tattoo, particularly a large one, needs to be prepared for the ramifications that will most likely result from that choice. Here are several studies:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/110/6/1058.abstract

http://vault.hanover.edu/~altermattw/methods/assets/posterpics/Fall2006/Smith-Gentry-Chailland.pdf

http://www.gse.uci.edu/docs/Bodily_Signs_2011.pdf

Now, obviously, you may choose to have a tattoo and not engage in ANY of the above. But I think it is prudent to know that a large portion of society as whole will deem that you have...and that it can affect not only you, but your children in ways you probably never imagined.

Two of the studies you posted deals with adolescents, the last one specifically adolescents in high school. The middle study is based off of a survey done for a PSYCH 220 course. I don't think any of them are all that applicable to this conversation since most people who have tattoos have gotten them as adults.

I find it extremely appalling that tattoos, smoking, and drinking are considered linked to being uneducated and lower income. It is 2012 for crying out loud not 1955. :001_rolleyes:

I don't like tattoos, I'll admit it. I've never seen any I've liked - not even the small, supposedly cute, varieties. I don't care for unusual piercings either (pretty much meaning anything other than earrings - multiple earrings don't bother me even though I don't have my ears pierced at all).

I'm a believer in "to each their own," but that doesn't extend to hiring. When we were hiring (Civil Engineering) it would be a fatal nick if visible tattoos were present on prospectives. The reason is their negative connotation with our clients. We don't need to "prove a point" about stereotyping when it comes to our business. Start your own engineering firm if you want to do that.

I don't like tattoos, I'll admit it. I've never seen any I've liked - not even the small, supposedly cute, varieties. I don't care for unusual piercings either (pretty much meaning anything other than earrings - multiple earrings don't bother me even though I don't have my ears pierced at all).

I'm a believer in "to each their own," but that doesn't extend to hiring. When we were hiring (Civil Engineering) it would be a fatal nick if visible tattoos were present on prospectives. The reason is their negative connotation with our clients. We don't need to "prove a point" about stereotyping when it comes to our business. Start your own engineering firm if you want to do that.

This is why I told my ds (and he listened to his mama) that he should not have any that can't be covered by a polo shirt and long pants. In some industries, visible tattoos are no big deal. In others, it would be the kiss of death.

If I get one, it will be easily hidden from those I don't want to share it with.

Sorry, I was speaking in general. Where I live, it's not unusual at all for people to mention publicly, around people with tattoos, how trashy and ugly tattoos are. Like the nice woman I work with, who regularly rants about how much she hates the tattoos on our customers. She rants to us, her tattooed coworkers. :)

Tara

No problem, sometimes I don't make clear enough what I am trying to say either. :001_smile:

This is why I told my ds (and he listened to his mama) that he should not have any that can't be covered by a polo shirt and long pants. In some industries, visible tattoos are no big deal. In others, it would be the kiss of death.

Good advice. ;)

We don't ask (or care) about tattoos that aren't visible, but if any are seen when shadowing for part of a day in a short sleeved shirt, don't expect to be called back. Our livlihood depends upon our clients and, as the poll showed, way too many IRL do care about tattoos - esp for perceived higher level jobs. We don't hire off just a coat and tie interview - too risky. Besides, where we live engineers rarely wear a coat and tie. They're in shirt sleeves.

My tattoo is on my wrist. It's a band (as in, all the way around my wrist, not as in musical group) that has religious significance to me, and I got it there so I would see it and frequently be reminded.

People often ask about it, and many of them apologize for asking. I always tell people, "I wouldn't have gotten a visible tattoo if I didn't want people to ask about it," but I didn't get it on my wrist so that other people would comment. I got it because that was the best location for me.

It's neither large nor outlandish, and, frankly, if someone wouldn't hire me because I have a visible tattoo, those are not people I would want to work for anyway. My job doesn't care about it.

I will admit I am not a fan of the recent trend of neck tattoos.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator
typo

Tara

That's good for you and hopefully the guy will always be there for you.

But the rest of us have unenlightened older or more conservative doctors, I guess.

I too am perplexed that you seem annoyed that people expressed negative opinion about tattoos on a thread asking why people view tattoos negatively...:confused:

I didn't read all of the responses, so this may be have already been said, but....

The reason that I don't think I would ever get a tattoo (I never say never) is that my father has a lot of tattoos and contracted Hepititis C from getting a tattoo. While I'm sure it is pretty safe these days, I just can't get that out of my head.

The second thing that bothers me is that I know several young adults who complain all. the. time. that they have no money to eat, pay rent etc...Yet they keep getting tattoos. I just dont get it. So that leaves a bad taste in my mouth too.

I have seen some beautiful tattoos, but for me those are generally small and simple. Many tattoos even tell a story about the persons faith...I think that is beautiful.

I don't judge my friends that have them, but at this time it is just not something I would do.

I too am perplexed that you seem annoyed that people expressed negative opinion about tattoos on a thread asking why people view tattoos negatively...:confused:

I was talking about people in general. I figured people would get that, as I mentioned my mom as an example, and I thought people would realize that my mom doesn't hang around TWTM. :D

Tara

I was brought up to believe that only certain kinds of girls had tattoos and they were what my family would call "fast and loose". I realize that's a stereotype and a generalization, but you know how it is when you're brought up to believe something. :rolleyes:

It wasn't until I saw that show Miami Ink on tv that I started to understand more about the people who actually got the tattoos and got to see how much artistry really goes into them and the meanings behind them. That really changed my opinion of tattoos and the people who get them.

I myself would never get a tattoo, because it's just not my style, but I don't have anything against anyone who does. I think it's kind of cool to have a history of major life moments told on your skin. Live and let live I say. :)

You had me worried for a minute there that I would not be able to be your friend any more ;) Glad you have seen that those with tattoos do not necessarily fit into that stereotype

My brother....wow....raised conservatively---fell away--- and now in his 40s coming back around....covered in tattoos. When ds was 4 he said, 'I like your pretty coloring on your arm Uncle K.' :)

He has had several cover up tattoos...and yes the 2nd ones are more tasteful than the first....but I'm sure he wishes now he had never had any done.

My SIL owns a CPA firm and she was lamenting how difficult it is to find good entry level help....and she told about one applicant that seemed perfect until she opened her mouth and revealed the tongue piercing. The kiss of death for sure. She said her field is still very conservative and that would never fly with her clients.

I guess there is a divide between people doing something to look cool and people who have sought real information and wisdom before making their decision. There is a variety of things that would qualify as "tribal" some of those being Celtic.

Unless one asked they wouldn't know. I don't know that there is a polite way to ask. :lol:

Without asking someone you cannot always deduce their heritage, my husband and I are from different backgrounds and my kids don't look remotely related.:lol:

:iagree:

My SIL owns a CPA firm and she was lamenting how difficult it is to find good entry level help....and she told about one applicant that seemed perfect until she opened her mouth and revealed the tongue piercing. The kiss of death for sure. She said her field is still very conservative and that would never fly with her clients.

Yeah, that would be the kiss of death here too.

People are definitely free to make their own choices - whether it's getting a tattoo or piercing or whether it's hiring for a job - or supporting companies with certain workers.

I know many people who have stopped going to restaurants where some servers have tongue piercings or nose rings (never heard about it with tattoos or other piercings servers might have). We thought about it and it still comes to mind when we choose a place to eat. Sometimes it affects our decisions and sometimes not. It always does when we have guests joining us since I don't really know how they feel. It's tough to enjoy a meal when one is grossed out. There are other options equally as tasty.

For our business, we can't afford to annoy/repulse clients over a decision we make regarding employees.

She said her field is still very conservative and that would never fly with her clients.

I wonder how much of this is a self-perpetuating cycle: "My field is very conservative, so I won't hire people with tattoos/piercings" = clients never see perfectly capable people with tattoos and piercings performing their professional jobs quite well = people carrying on with their preconceived notions = businesses continuing to discriminate against those with tattoos/piercings.

If you detest them, fine. But you could always be the change you wish to see and start breaking down the stereotypes. I also see nothing wrong with a little warning to your clients, done in a joking manner: "You'll be meeting with Suzie today. You'll notice right off that she has tongue piercing. We were a little shocked, too, but when we interviewed for Suzie's position, she was far and away the most qualified, capable applicant, and we knew that our clients would rather have quality service from punky-looking woman than mediocre service from someone boring and conventional. Only the best for our clients!!"

Tara

TaraTheLiberator:

I also see nothing wrong with a little warning to your clients, done in a joking manner: "You'll be meeting with Suzie today. You'll notice right off that she has tongue piercing. We were a little shocked, too, but when we interviewed for Suzie's position, she was far and away the most qualified, capable applicant, and we knew that our clients would rather have quality service from punky-looking woman than mediocre service from someone boring and conventional. Only the best for our clients!!"

Well, employers could do this and maybe some will choose to do so.

Or they could hire employees that don't require an elaborate prequel like this. Or people could realize that their own choices might affect the perception that others have of them and proceed accordingly.

My brother....wow....raised conservatively---fell away--- and now in his 40s coming back around....covered in tattoos. When ds was 4 he said, 'I like your pretty coloring on your arm Uncle K.' :)

He has had several cover up tattoos...and yes the 2nd ones are more tasteful than the first....but I'm sure he wishes now he had never had any done.

Scarlett, I am truly curious. When you say "fell away" do you mean from your religion, your family, what? Of course, feel free not to answer, but I was just wondering what that means. :001_smile:

Well, employers could do this and maybe some will choose to do so.

Or they could hire employees that don't require an elaborate prequel like this. Or people could realize that their own choices might affect the perception that others have of them and proceed accordingly.

Yes, if you choose to do a tattoo or visible piercing, then realize that your choice has consequences in how people perceive you for jobs. A business doesn't want to lose customers/clients due to an employee's piercing/tattoo.

I also see nothing wrong with a little warning to your clients, done in a joking manner: "You'll be meeting with Suzie today. You'll notice right off that she has tongue piercing. We were a little shocked, too, but when we interviewed for Suzie's position, she was far and away the most qualified, capable applicant, and we knew that our clients would rather have quality service from punky-looking woman than mediocre service from someone boring and conventional. Only the best for our clients!!"

Tara

This MIGHT work for a tattoo, but I can't see it working for a tongue piercing. People who are put off by those are really put off and will either ask for someone else or go somewhere else. If you're lucky it will be the former, but many will just do the latter - then tell their friends...

For us, there are plenty of people who don't need such an explanation we can choose from to hire (not that we're hiring right now) - esp in this economy.

Scarlett, I am truly curious. When you say "fell away" do you mean from your religion, your family, what? Of course, feel free not to answer, but I was just wondering what that means. :001_smile:

Fell away from the way he was raised....which includes religion. Naturally it also caused him to distance himself from his FOO too, but never completely. A lot of his choices had to do with drugs which goes hand in hand with the stereotype that certain things like tattoos suggest.

For good coffee and good beer, I might have to live with other people's sense of self-expression. Good-bye dreams of Deseret! :D

Bill

If good beer is a priority, don't move to Utah. Not only is the beer watered down in Utah, the beer of the month clubs can't ship to Utah addresses. :tongue_smilie:

Yes, if you choose to do a tattoo or visible piercing, then realize that your choice has consequences in how people perceive you for jobs. A business doesn't want to lose customers/clients due to an employee's piercing/tattoo.

:iagree: In some fields it just plain matters. In others it might not.

And there will likely be some jobs where a tattoo or piercing is seen as an asset - just not Civil Engineering where we live (anywhere we've lived).

It's a choice from both sides (prospective employee and employer) and all are free to choose as they like. It's not at all discrimination as with race, gender, etc. It's discrimination against (or for) a choice people have made.

Of course. Because it's true that things are better when everyone is more alike. A Wrinkle in Time and 1984 illustrate that quite effectively.

;)

Tara

I guess there is a divide between people doing something to look cool and people who have sought real information and wisdom before making their decision. There is a variety of things that would qualify as "tribal" some of those being Celtic.

Unless one asked they wouldn't know. I don't know that there is a polite way to ask. :lol:

Without asking someone you cannot always deduce their heritage, my husband and I are from different backgrounds and my kids don't look remotely related. :lol:

Very true. But I know some strongly Irish people and wouldn't need a tatt to identify them, though they might have some to self identify.

This subject has been making me think all morning (and though I was about to head out, I hear sirens wailing around the square and know it's futile for me to leave yet) --

I wonder if more people are getting tatts now because over all, we in the US lack so many rites. I wonder if people are so yearning for ways to identify and form communities (of which we seem to have so few ie: BOWLING ALONE) that they are choosing to self identify and mark themselves. Though there may be tribal tatts, is there an overarching theme of Ink Tribe? And why are people drawn to it? The counter cultural perception/community/rites?

So, do peoples with strong communities and culture (either secular or religious)/rituals have high proportion of tattoos? They would qualify as a rite-there is a high proportion of pain and shared experience--

So, just wondering.

Edited by justamouse

Of course. Because it's true that things are better when everyone is more alike.

;)

Tara

In business, things are better when you are providing what the client wants. It's not just the actual job for some fields. It's the whole package (employee and the job they do). Clients won't pay/sign up when they don't like something. They'll go elsewhere.

This MIGHT work for a tattoo, but I can't see it working for a tongue piercing. People who are put off by those are really put off and will either ask for someone else or go somewhere else. If you're lucky it will be the former, but many will just do the latter - then tell their friends...

For us, there are plenty of people who don't need such an explanation we can choose from to hire (not that we're hiring right now) - esp in this economy.

I'm kind of surprised that saying "remove the tongue piercing" wasn't even mentioned as an option. I used to have a pair of tongue piercings, and I had no trouble taking them out for work every day. You shouldn't need to tell someone to take them out for their job, but if my other option was to hire a far less qualified applicant, I know what I would do. Maybe it was brought up and the previous poster didn't think anyone would care about every single little detail of the exchange.

In business, things are better when you are providing what the client wants. It's not just the actual job for some fields. It's the whole package (employee and the job they do). Clients won't pay/sign up when they don't like something. They'll go elsewhere.

I'm aware of that. :) I'm just trying to point out that maybe society as a whole needs to loosen up a bit on the tattoo/piercing thing. As many poster have pointed out, lots of people have them. There's a fine line between people taking responsibility for their own actions/appearance and other people having their prejudices catered to. Would it be ok to refuse to hire a black person because one's clients are bigoted? (And yes, I realize one can't choose one's race, but it's the same idea: we can accommodate people's prejudices or ... not.)

Tara

Of course. Because it's true that things are better when everyone is more alike. A Wrinkle in Time and 1984 illustrate that quite effectively.

;)

Tara

Speaking for myself....I'm more of a birds of a feather type person. I don't fear those who aren't like me...I just prefer those who are like me.

I'm aware of that. :) I'm just trying to point out that maybe society as a whole needs to loosen up a bit on the tattoo/piercing thing. As many poster have pointed out, lots of people have them. There's a fine line between people taking responsibility for their own actions/appearance and other people having their prejudices catered to. Would it be ok to refuse to hire a black person because one's clients are bigoted? (And yes, I realize one can't choose one's race, but it's the same idea: we can accommodate people's prejudices or ... not.)

Tara

I for one would not be willing to risk my business to accommodate a person's personal style of dress and grooming.

Tara

You could always start your own Engineering Firm or CPA and see if you could start a new trend.

I'm not willing to gamble with our livelihood. It's not theory or what should be, etc. It's real life. Our clients have no issue with race or gender as long as the person looks the part (and speaks the part) they are supposed to fill.

I'm not picking on you personally, Creekland. I'm just playing devil's advocate a bit. As long as people's prejudices are given credence, they continue to be seen as legitimate. It's that fine line I mentioned.

I'm not saying you should or have to do anything differently. It's just ... food for thought, I guess. I tend not to be a "that's just the way it is, some things will never change" kinda person, to steal a line from Mr. Hornsby.

:D

Tara

But it's still insulting the person's taste. Which to me is still an insult. It's one thing to say you don't like something, it's another to call it ugly, tacky, trashy, whatever.

I think we, as a society, need to lose the idea that being "insulted" is such a horrendous thing. Oh well. So someone got insulted. It's actually getting to be borderline against the law, which I think is going to pretty much push us over into point-of-no-return namby pamby nanny state he11.

That said, I'm all for manners and kindness. I think the world is a more beautiful place with them in it. But sticks and stones don't break my bones, and an insult is just not that big of a deal in the grand scheme.

I'm aware of that. :) I'm just trying to point out that maybe society as a whole needs to loosen up a bit on the tattoo/piercing thing..... (And yes, I realize one can't choose one's race, but it's the same idea: we can accommodate people's prejudices or ... not.)

Tara

No it is not and that is an outrageous claim!

The prejudice being shown here is by people who demand that others stay silent, and even when asked a direct question not he honest in their reply.

One's actions, especially when it comes to body modification make statements to the world "This is who I am." I grant that the way many read this statement may not be the intended message but that changes nothing.

Cut a hole in your ear large enough to put a soda can through and I will read that statement. You probably would not fit the dress code of my company.

You also referenced 1984 but you misunderstood the book. A major theme of the story was of what happens when people simply listen to Big Brother and not think for themselves. How many times did the book reference changing values at the whim of Big Brother? The point of the book was less about being a homogeneous society as being an unthinking one. It did not condemn values and beliefs, it condemned the lack of values and beliefs meaning that they became whatever Big Brother said they were because they were not ingrained.

While you may make the argument that a piercing demonstrates individuality it is just as valid to argue that posters who answer a question honestly despite being called unfeeling, rude etc and who stand against the "anything goes, PC world" are also being individualists. There is just as much prejudice being shown by those who demand that society accept whatever they choose as by those who will accept no change.

If you want a tattoo get one.

Will I judge you? Yes. Will I shun you? No, not for a simple tattoo. Have pieces of metal hanging from every appendage, cover yourself in tattoos and the reaction may be different. Your actions are your choice as my responses are mine.

Edited by pqr

The prejudice being shown here is by people who demand that others stay silent, and even when asked a direct question not he honest in their reply.

One's actions, especially when it comes to body modification make statements to the world "This is who I am." I grant that the way many read this statement may not be the intended message but that changes nothing.

Cut a hole in your ear large enough to put a soda can through and I will read that statement. You probably would not fit the dress code of my company.

You also referenced 1984 but you misunderstood the book. A major theme of the story was of what happens when people simply listen to Big Brother and not think for themselves. How many times did the book reference changing values at the whim of Big Brother? The point of the book was less about being a homogeneous society as being an unthinking one. It did not condemn values and beliefs, it condemned the lack of values and beliefs meaning that they became whatever Big Brother said they were because they were not ingrained.

While you may make the argument that a piercing demonstrates individuality it is just as valid to argue that posters who answer a question honestly despite being called unfeeling, rude etc and who stand against the "anything goes, PC world" are also being individualists. There is just as much prejudice being shown by those who demand that society accept whatever they choose as by those who will accept no change.

Will I judge you? Yes. Will I shun you? No, not for a simple tattoo. Have pieces of metal hanging from every appendage, cover yourself in tattoos and the reaction may be different. Your actions are your choice as my responses are mine.

Ditto.

I think we, as a society, need to lose the idea that being "insulted" is such a horrendous thing. Oh well. So someone got insulted. It's actually getting to be borderline against the law, which I think is going to pretty much push us over into point-of-no-return namby pamby nanny state he11.

That said, I'm all for manners and kindness. I think the world is a more beautiful place with them in it. But sticks and stones don't break my bones, and an insult is just not that big of a deal in the grand scheme.

No one said being insulted was a big deal. I was just pointing out that it was in fact still an insult.

I don't think it is. Accommodating prejudices is accommodating prejudices. Either English doesn't have or I don't possess the eloquence to delineate between exact connotations of the word prejudice, but for the purposes of this discussion I am talking about making negative judgments of someone simply from their appearance. Racism is one way of doing that. Deciding that someone is incompetent/unsuited to do a job because of a tattoo or piercing is another.

I never said any such thing. When I referenced people not saying anything about it, I was not talking about this thread or people who might be asked point-blank in real life what they think. I was getting at the idea that my mom doesn't go around telling me how much she hates my eyebrow ring (even though I know she does) because there's no need to.

You also referenced 1984 but you misunderstood the book.

No, no I didn't. Your interpretation of the theme is correct, but to me, the "I don't like tattoos and piercings because I was raised to think they are trashy" line of thought (and similar) are emblematic of the unthinking approach. If most people, as evidenced by this thread, think tattoos are tacky, low class, or trashy, but they acknowledge that their friends with tattoos are not tacky, low class, or trashy, then they are simply following allowing without thinking. History is full of prejudices that are not based in reality that have changed because people become more thoughtful. Regardless of the value or how capriciously it changes, if it's not thoughtfully considered, then I see it as relevant to the theme of 1984.

"anything goes, PC world"

From your past posts, I have gotten the impression that you equate simple courtesy, in some instances, as PC. I believe that WendyK (I think it was Wendy) did a very good job of illustrating the ability to honestly express one's opinion without resorting to emotionally laden negative words.

Thanks! I have one. :D

Will I judge you? Yes.

Sweet. I gather that you will at least understand the religious significance of my tattoo because you seem to be a man of the world (and I say this in all sincerity).

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator
formatting

I don't think it is. Accommodating prejudices is accommodating prejudices. Either English doesn't have or I don't possess the eloquence to delineate between exact connotations of the word prejudice, but for the purposes of this discussion I am talking about making negative judgments of someone simply from their appearance. Racism is one way of doing that. Deciding that someone is incompetent/unsuited to do a job because of a tattoo or piercing is another.

Tara

Tara but a tattoo isn't JUST about appearance. It is about that person's choices which reflects values. I dearly LOVE my brother but his tattoos are off-putting to me! They reflect a lifestyle that I cannot embrace. And frankly one he no longer embraces!

I do see that not all tattoos are created equal, but still in general very iffy in a conservative circle. If you (collective you) aren't in such a conservative circle then there is really no problem.

Unless its a Homeschool Bumper Sticker. :lol::lol:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I want a Tat. A Memorial Tat for the baby we lost, but im too chicken and Ill likely never get it done. I also know I shouldnt, but I dont mind if other people have Ink on them.

:grouphug:

That's me too. My son who was an Eagle Scout wanted to get a tatoo of a three headed eagle on his shoulder blade. In our troop all the boys who reach Eagle get a tatoo of an eagle somewhere on their body. It started when the former Scout Master retired from Scout Mastering. He surprised the boys with a tatoo of the Fleur de Lies on his shoulder. My son died before he could get his eagle tatoo so now my mom and I want to get it for him. I do have two ear piercings and am seriously thinking of getting a third and one nose pierce. I am not an any way trashy or low class. I only know of one person who has judged me to the point of never speaking to me again and thinks I'm going to h*ll just based on my piercings alone. In the last month I not only got a job offer for the summer (that I accepted) but the same people are requesting me to come and sub for their teacher's aids next school year.

One of my son's friends has lost a lot of friends in the last few years. She has designed a tatoo that has special meaning for her. It's a series of footprints around her ankle with "It was then that I carried you" written above the footprints.

Since I'm a needle chicken I'm probably just going to have a tatoo type artist draw and color the three headed eagle and then frame it and display it with our eagle/remembering Andrew collection.

ETA: To answer the original question: No idea why the negativity about tatoos. Several of our close friends have them and we (dh and I) could care less. My brother has a few on his back and arms and regrets it. He said Andrew (my son) could not get one at all.

Edited by Henriettakittycat

Tara but a tattoo isn't JUST about appearance. It is about that person's choices which reflects values. I dearly LOVE my brother but his tattoos are off-putting to me! They reflect a lifestyle that I cannot embrace. And frankly one he no longer embraces!

I do see that not all tattoos are created equal, but still in general very iffy in a conservative circle. If you (collective you) aren't in such a conservative circle then there is really no problem.

I understand what you are saying in reference to your brother, but some people want to take that and apply it across the board. In this thread, it has been mentioned that people with tattoos are more likely to smoke, drink, use illicit drugs, have wild sexual lives, and place their children at risk (oh, and be less educated, too). That's an unfounded and prejudicial view. I don't see how conservative or liberal plays into it, because I know plenty of tattooed conservatives!

I really wonder, when people hold these ideas about the "lifestyle" or "values" that tattoos/piercings portray, what these people are really thinking. What does my tattoo/piercing say about me? I am married (once, and, shockingly, monogamous!), I homeschool my kids, I have adopted two special-needs kids from orphanages, I pay my taxes and vote in elections, I hold a job, I have a religious conviction that is important to me, I live in a middle-class neighborhood, I have a college degree, and I am kind to animals, old people, and babies. What about my lifestyle and values is so offensive? Oh, it must be that I drink (expensive, snobby) beer. ;)

I'm not personally upset or offended by this thread. As I said earlier, I don't give a rip what people think about me or my tattoo/piercing. But I think people who believe, in general, that tattooed and pierced people have dramatically different or less moral values than those who aren't are just wrong.

Tara