Menu

I equate tattoos to graffiti. Like graffiti, some tattoos can be well done, some can be interesting, but most of the time they ruin the look of the original structure.

I think the human body is beautiful, and most of the time a tattoo detracts rather than enhances the beauty of the body just like graffiti ruins the look of a city.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what their tattoos are going to look like when their skin starts to wrinkle and sag. I have a feeling it isn't going to be pretty. :001_huh:

:iagree:

That. I live in a college town and everyone seems to have tats. I am the odd one out among my friends for not having any. A full sleeve seems to be mandatory minimum to work in a restaurant, cafe or bar around here. And now that the weather has warmed up there is no avoiding all the tramp stamps.

I am just to flighty to commit to one. I had a small nose ring for almost 20 years, but then thought it was looking to early 1990s.

Why do people get tattoos knowing there is a large segment of the population who have negative feelings about it and then get upset when they come across those people?

For much the same reason I don't wear makeup or often shave my legs even though a large segment of the population views women who don't shave their legs or wear makeup in a negative light. Because it is my body and unless I stink or am naked, other people's opinions of how I look are less important than my own. My body is my own. My tattoos are part of me.

Remember too that times are changing. What was crazy 20 years ago is now more common place. A pediatrician I know has tattoos. It is not limited to punk rockers who work as bike messengers and bartenders. I have a number of tattoos (though they are pretty discreetly placed) and a nose stud. I have never had people IRL react negatively to me because of this. I get headhunted for professional management level jobs. It is not the issue that many people seem to think it is. Most of the people I skate with have tattoos, and visible ones. The girls I skate with range are all over the map economically but all have a pretty solid education. One is a biology PhD candidate and another pretty high up on the food chain at an international company of which you all know the name. A number of teachers, medical professionals, academics.

As for people who say they are trashy, promiscuous, low wage and low class- that actually doesn't offend me. I know that I am neither trashy or promiscuous or paid a low wage. And despite my middle class trappings and education, I bear no shame for my decidedly "low class" childhood. Frankly I don't really feel angry at classism like this, I just feel confident in my knowledge of myself. The whole no one can make you feel inferior without your consent thing. It really works. That attitude is part of what got me interested in getting tattoos. I got my first tattoo as a promise to myself that I would always do my best to live unencumbered by the legacy of my childhood (sexual assault, among other serious things) and that I would always be strong enough to take care of myself. No one has ever expressed distain for it. Probably because they know me and who I am and what I stand for.

Edited by kijipt

It just struck me, though. I wear long sleeves all year here. It is so rarely stinking hot. I'm now wondering if art tats are more common in shorts and tanktop and flipflop parts of the US.

I live in north Texas and spend many summer days at our local water park. I think tatoos are the minority around here, too. I can only think of one close friend that has a tatoo.

For years I wanted one, and I waited, and waited because I wanted something meaningful--and then everyone started to get them and they became *in*.

Now they're so common I have no desire to get one.

Piercings I don't mind because they can be taken out and if the damage is big, they can be reconstructed. Tatts come off with extreme pain.

My son got one --free--of Taz on is ankle. It looks like a splot of mud. It's horrible. :001_rolleyes:

Yes, some are beautiful, but they're not beautiful in 20 years. They're saggy, dull and muddy.

And, like I said, SO many people have them, who wants to go along with the crowd?

I equate tattoos to graffiti. Like graffiti, some tattoos can be well done, some can be interesting, but most of the time they ruin the look of the original structure.

I think the human body is beautiful, and most of the time a tattoo detracts rather than enhances the beauty of the body just like graffiti ruins the look of a city.

such a good metaphor

That isn't the problem. The problem is people cannot state an opinion without being offensive. People don't have manners any more.

Nobody cares if so-and-so doesn't like tattoos. But, it is hardly surprising that the tattooed folk get upset when people call them trashy and low-class. :001_rolleyes:

Opinion that will offend: Tattoos are trashy and low-class, especially for women. Class warfare and sexism in one sentence, great.

Opinions that probably won't bother anyone: Tattoos are not my thing. I would be too scared because I know so many people who have regretted it and/or have badly done tattoos. I wish people wouldn't get scary and/or naked tattoos for public viewing. Personally, I find it strange that people would make a trend a permanent part of their body. I'm of an age where I've known lots of people who have had tattoos removed, ouch, no thanks!

I do agree with this. Obviously there are people on the board who have gotten tattoos and to say we are trashy, low-class and poor is a stretch, I would say.

WOW! Tacky and low class, really? To the people that have such a bad view of tattoos, I want to say, you are missing out on some amazing people! Such prejudice shocks me :confused1:. I don't have any tattoos. However, I think they can be so beautiful! My dh has hired guys to do very high paying jobs (desk, business jobs) with tats. My very best friend has tats; and she is one of the kindest, sweetest, most godly women I know. God does not look on the outward. He looks at the heart.:crying:

I agree. I find it funny that people give the body so much importance, from a religious standpoint.

And as far as the body being "so beautiful" there's honestly not all that much skin that I see on a day to day basis (other than my children, of course) that strikes me as amazingly beautiful- tattooed or not. I just don't think of the human body as being this marvelous, amazingly beautiful thing. Have you been out in public lately? LOL

:iagree:

I wonder what their tattoos are going to look like when their skin starts to wrinkle and sag. I have a feeling it isn't going to be pretty. :001_huh:

*shrug* I guess I just don't see how it should matter what others think of my old wrinkly saggy skin whether it has a tat on it or not! :)

My son got one --free--of Taz on is ankle. It looks like a splot of mud. It's horrible. :001_rolleyes:

Yes, some are beautiful, but they're not beautiful in 20 years. They're saggy, dull and muddy.

And, like I said, SO many people have them, who wants to go along with the crowd?

To these points in order:

1. Quality matters. Some random cheap tattoo artist IS NOT coming at me with a needle, that is for darn sure.

2. Again, quality matters. My older brother has 15 year old tattoos that look bad. But he got his (few) from other skater kids AND inexpensive hack parlors. And he got them to piss off my mom, not for anything meaningful. My other brother's husband has 15 year old tattoos, including one that covers his entire calf, that look great. (ftr, he is a successful IT worker) Also, the location of the tattoo matters a lot in how well it will weather.

3. I don't really care who else has a tattoo, no one has my tattoos. If you like something, you like it regardless of if it is unique or still cutting edge.

I don't think tattoos are for everyone. My husband does not have any and is unlikely to ever want one. That is a-ok. For someone not invested in the art they are paying for or just getting one at some pay $40 and walk out with something off the parlor wall, it is more likely to be a foolish and bad decision. But that doesn't mean that people deciding to get a tattoo are necessarily making foolish or bad decisions.

Edited by kijipt

Don't like them--I'm from the generation that finds them yucky. Not ALL Navy dads had them--my dad was always proud that he didn't. I'm also not pleased that dh allowed my girls to get a single piercing in their ears. The original poster asked our opinion--that's mine!

My Navy daddy had two. That was probably to cover for your dad's missing one. J/k ;)

Over the last five years since I got my first tattoo, through discussions on this board and in real life, I've come to realize a few things:

1. People will judge you if you have a tattoo. It will happen, and there's nothing that can be done except to ignore it. You can't change people's minds, and why would you (general you) want to? Usually people aren't so ballsy in public as to tell you that you are low-class and trashy looking because of your ink. ;) The cool thing is when people judge you as awesome because your tattoos rock! :D

2. I have learned to have thick skin on this board with regards to facial piercings, tattoos, hair colors, clothing styles, parenting choices, etc. Nobody will approve/like/respect everything, and I'm not ashamed of my lifestyle choices, so who cares? Nothing anyone has said in this thread bothers me in the least. If people don't think I'm worth associating with because I have a couple of tattoos and a nose ring, so be it. :001_smile:

3. Tattoos sure can make people look trashy, IF the person is already trashy, lol. Or if the tattoo says something like "Killa's baby" like the tattoo of one of my brother ex girlfriends. :lol: That was just flat out scary. I bet she regrets that one.

Edited by Nakia

We view the body as a sacred gift from God, so we are encouraged to refrain altering it--whether that is tattoos or piercings beyond a single pair for the ears :)

How is one pair better or more sacred than more than one pair?

Trashy?:001_rolleyes:

Well then I will take that as a compliment, thank you.

I have one tattoo that goes around my ankle. It looks like an anklet.I got it for my 40th birthday. It has meaning to me. So what when I get old it might sag? Oh well:). What if I get cankles??:ack2: Who cares.

People really need to stop worrying about what other people do. When they pay my bills, my mortgage, clean my house and live my life then come talk to me.

Actually, this thread really makes me want to go out and get a tramp stamp now:lol:

I think the words "Made in China" would be quite fitting.:D

That isn't the problem. The problem is people cannot state an opinion without being offensive. People don't have manners any more.

Nobody cares if so-and-so doesn't like tattoos. But, it is hardly surprising that the tattooed folk get upset when people call them trashy and low-class. :001_rolleyes:

Opinion that will offend: Tattoos are trashy and low-class, especially for women. Class warfare and sexism in one sentence, great.

Opinions that probably won't bother anyone: Tattoos are not my thing. I would be too scared because I know so many people who have regretted it and/or have badly done tattoos. I wish people wouldn't get scary and/or naked tattoos for public viewing. Personally, I find it strange that people would make a trend a permanent part of their body. I'm of an age where I've known lots of people who have had tattoos removed, ouch, no thanks!

Well said.

I love my tattoo and everything it represents.

I disresepct any kind of assumption and stereotyping done about people who have one or people who don't like them. You can't make any accurate characterizations based on tattoo status and opinions.

I'm not negative about other people getting them - but they just don't appeal to me - I think they look ugly and I really hate the idea of something permanent on my skin I can't wash off when I get tired of it ;)

I've worked in a nursing home - I've seen many old tattoo's - most of the time I had to ask what they were. One guy had one on his P**** :001_huh: but I didn't ask what that said :lol: I guess it had to be "working" before you could read it :lol:

There is an ad on tv here in Australia where a classy older woman in her 60's - all dressed up professionally and is regretting the ugly armband tattoo she got in her teens :)

I live in boganland -a lot of people here get them across the top of their butt -I could care less if they want to do it but I really wish they wouldn't display them to me so openly :glare: (although that's more about the butt crack on display then the tattoo)

Edited by sewingmama

But the OP asked WHY? To answer that honestly, I can't say "Tats just aren't my thing. :grouphug:"

Sometimes the truth is good, warts and all, and if I asked a why question, I'd like to hear people's *real feelings*. Perhaps a young person would like to know some future employer is going to think of some untrue excuse as to why they aren't hired, when it is the tats or piercing that turn their head to the other 152 applicants.

But you *can* say that without resorting to words like "trashy." I think there is a difference between being honest and being mean. I am honest to a fault. I am often blunt. My face tells people what I think, even when I don't want it to. But, I try to tell people the truth without actually hurting their feelings. I do poke fun at my friends, I am notorious for that, don't get me wrong. ;)

If my friend said: "I'm thinking of having stars tattooed on my face," then I would tell her I think that's a bad idea. It just doesn't look professional. I had a friend in high school who planned to be in a rock band when he grew up. He had big hair, earrings, wore makeup, etc. He was an excellent drummer. What does he do now? He's a bank president. He probably wouldn't have that job if he had some crazy face tattoo or giant holes in his floppy earlobes. That's a real reason, but it doesn't actually hurt anyone's feelings.

There are lots and lots and LOTS of military guys (and their wives) with tattoos (no, not me or my dh). But, even the military has limits on where you can put tattoos and what kind you can have because at some point *it doesn't look professional* and we have a professional military in the USA.

I agree, a question was asked and an honest answer given. If you do not want an answer do not ask the question.

On a hs discussion board where there is a degree of anonymity this should be the safest place to ask such a question.

Yes.....for many of a certain generation they are ugly, low class and something that a lady would never have. That is the truth, unvarnished and factual. Society may be changing as may societal mores but many still hold the aforementioned views and I am glad that they were also honest enough to answer when asked....in today's PC world a touch of honesty is rather refreshing.

It has never been considered "PC" to give a more polite answer instead of a rude, hurtful one when possible.

I think this is a great reason against it. It is another way to phrase your opinion and tell the truth without calling people trashy. I just don't get why some find it necessary.

It has never been considered "PC" to give a more polite answer instead of a rude, hurtful one when possible.

I think this is a great reason against it. It is another way to phrase your opinion and tell the truth without calling people trashy. I just don't get why some find it necessary.

I agree with your whole post, but especially with these two points. There are plenty of perfectly articulate and reasoned ways (like the graffiti comparison you responded to) to express a strong negative opinion without calling something attached to a person trashy.

The bolded could be your clue.

OTOH, I must live in trashy, low-class locale. I don't examine naked people for a living and I see them everywhere.

Sorry, I have to ask... do you see tattoos everywhere or naked people? :001_huh: One is far more disturbing than the other, unless you're into that sort of thing. :lol:

That was certainly my intention.

But...you can't see that the woman with this on her arm:

eLuKoOz66TOMzyNs.jpg

might be upset with you comparing it to dirty, ugly, stained, torn granny panties worn where people can see?

I think it's a beautiful work of art, even though *I* would never put a giant tattoo on my arm. It just isn't something that I would do. But, I can appreciate the beauty of something like *that*. Now, I have seen plenty of really ugly, scary, weird, nasty, poorly spelled tattoos, but that's a specific complaint instead of a general one.

eLuKoOz66TOMzyNs.jpg

might be upset with you comparing it to dirty, ugly, stained, torn granny panties worn where people can see?

That was a joke, hence the little running person, and I don't think that woman would ask me my opinion on WHY people are negative about tattoos. If she did, and seemed sincerely curious, as the OP did, I would answer honestly on my opinion (not even necessarily my opinion on tattoos) on WHY there is negative reactions to tattoos.

eLuKoOz66TOMzyNs.jpg

I think it's a beautiful work of art, even though *I* would never put a giant tattoo on my arm. It just isn't something that I would do. But, I can appreciate the beauty of something like *that*. Now, I have seen plenty of really ugly, scary, weird, nasty, poorly spelled tattoos, but that's a specific complaint instead of a general one.

I don't think this is a "beautiful work of art." I think it is tacky and ugly. If it was painted on a canvas and hung on a wall I would find it tacky and ugly.

The fact that is is permanently inked on a young woman's skin does not make it less tacky or ugly. I think it is sad to see a young body treated this way.

That is me being honest.

Bill

I don't think this is a "beautiful work of art." I think it is tacky and ugly. If it was painted on a canvas and hung on a wall I would find it tacky and ugly.

The fact that is is permanently inked on a young woman's skin does not make it less tacky or ugly. I think it is sad to see a young body treated this way.

That is me being honest.

Bill

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I don't think it's a work of art, or even nice to look at.

That is me being honest.

Bill

:iagree:Oh my goodness, I am agreeing 100% with Spycar. :svengo:

But you *can* say that without resorting to words like "trashy." I think there is a difference between being honest and being mean.

[snip]

It is another way to phrase your opinion and tell the truth without calling people trashy. I just don't get why some find it necessary.

But, the fact remains that there are at least 40% of the people responding to the other thread's poll who do honestly feel that tattoos are "trashy, low-class or ugly."

I think the anonymity of the poll is a safe way for those people to express their true feelings without being chastised for using the words that are accurate to those true feelings.

Of course tattoo afficionados are going to be offended by those words. From reading these threads, they are offended by anyone not in their camp, but it is what it is, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I'm kind of getting tired of people getting reamed and chastised because they used a word to express themselves accurately when they were asked their honest opinion.

Frankly, I'd much rather know where someone REALLY stands on an issue than to have to guess based upon the little socially polite dance they do around the issue.

And, FWIW... I voted "other" in that poll because I don't care if others have tattoos but I sure as heck don't want one on myself. As far as the word "trashy" goes... IMO, trashy is as trashy does. The wrapper doesn't mean a thing.

:iagree:Oh my goodness, I am agreeing 100% with Spycar. :svengo:

I don't think that is pretty either no matter where it would be. I guess I have a different taste in artwork. I will say the majority not all of the guys I have known in my life with tats everywhere were losers in a big way. The girls I knew when I was young who got the whole tramp stamp on their backs and the belly button tat and all that were very very very sorry after pregnancy.

My brother and my dad (military dad by the way) has told me over and over again exactly how they view the women who walk around with big tats all over their bodies.

When dad was young in the army they had bets on women who had tats they had to have so many in certain places and that is how easy they were. My mother always told me it screamed look at me look at me I need you to look at me. Just like the way you dress you are making a statement.

I was brought up to believe that only certain kinds of girls had tattoos and they were what my family would call "fast and loose". I realize that's a stereotype and a generalization, but you know how it is when you're brought up to believe something. :rolleyes:

It wasn't until I saw that show Miami Ink on tv that I started to understand more about the people who actually got the tattoos and got to see how much artistry really goes into them and the meanings behind them. That really changed my opinion of tattoos and the people who get them.

I myself would never get a tattoo, because it's just not my style, but I don't have anything against anyone who does. I think it's kind of cool to have a history of major life moments told on your skin. Live and let live I say. :)

Stigma is a mark of disgrace. Yes, often tattooed or branded, but it is not synonymous with the method of application.

It's interesting to me that people would be so concerned about employment. I worked for a decade in IT consulting, in some very conservative settings where skirt suits were the norm for women, and I don't think anyone ever commented on mine. My boss commented once, but only because he regretted not bringing me along on a sales call he had at a company with purple haired, facially pierced management who held the meeting at the pool table in the lobby. (obviously not one of the more conservative venues) He thought I would have fit right in with them and set them at ease! :lol:

I do think the aesthetic one embraces makes a statement to the world. I think it's the details of what we put out there that should be noted, though. People wear t-shirts with printing on them all the time - emblems, birds, vacation scenes, "property of"... They don't really say anything in particular about the wearer. But the ones that have something hateful or violent? Those get my attention. Because the wearer has chosen to emblazon that message on his chest. Same thing with tats. Some are a message. Some are just decorative.

I have to :lol: at the flames coming up from the pants, though. What the owner probably saw as provocative I think would be great material for a Tucks or Preparation-H ad campaign. :D

I've considered getting a tattoo for a long time, but I've always struggled with the visible/not visible element. On the one hand, I don't want it to be visible when I'm wearing a nice dress or what-not; conversely, what is the point of having one if it can't be seen unless I move my clothing aside?

I have two different design ideas to be a memorial tattoo for my baby that died. However - the whole visible/not visible conundrum leads to decide nevermind.

I do not mind a couple on others, if they are meaningful and/or artistically rendered.

But, the fact remains that there are at least 40% of the people responding to the other thread's poll who do honestly feel that tattoos are "trashy, low-class or ugly."

I think the anonymity of the poll is a safe way for those people to express their true feelings without being chastised for using the words that are accurate to those true feelings.

Of course tattoo afficionados are going to be offended by those words. From reading these threads, they are offended by anyone not in their camp, but it is what it is, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I'm kind of getting tired of people getting reamed and chastised because they used a word to express themselves accurately when they were asked their honest opinion.

Frankly, I'd much rather know where someone REALLY stands on an issue than to have to guess based upon the little socially polite dance they do around the issue.

And, FWIW... I voted "other" in that poll because I don't care if others have tattoos but I sure as heck don't want one on myself. As far as the word "trashy" goes... IMO, trashy is as trashy does. The wrapper doesn't mean a thing.

THANK you Audrey!! Besides that, I kept up with both threads last night, and words were twisted!! The original wording was a person's OPINION of having always viewed them as TACKY, *not* TRASHY. Trashy was brought in later, and had the words "NOT NECESSARILY" in front of it.

How that turned into (on the poll thread) - "SEVERAL people using those EXACT WORDS to express their ABSOLUTE DISGUST" - I don't know, but it is certainly NOT the way things went down.

At least that's the good thing about message boards; collective *you* can always go back and read for yourself...

That is me being honest.

Bill

Interesting when people who disagree on so many things are in complete agreement here.

It is not attractive and as you age it will become less so.

The particular design is reminiscent of what I have seen painted on velvet in cheap tourist shops, it is not well done.

Edited by pqr

i have zero tattoos (my husband has none as well) & i can't imagine that i'll ever want one for myself, but i absolutely love them. i have always loved them!:D maybe when i'm 50 i'll get a tiny one...that gives me about 9 years to think it over, lol.

ETA - to be clearer, i prefer tattoos on people that have a lot...not the chinese symbol on the back of the neck or the lower back tattoo thing that i see everywhere. i like tattoo artists and the full sleeves, etc!:)

Edited by mytwomonkeys

As for people who say they are trashy, promiscuous, low wage and low class- that actually doesn't offend me. I know that I am neither trashy or promiscuous or paid a low wage. And despite my middle class trappings and education, I bear no shame for my decidedly "low class" childhood. Frankly I don't really feel angry at classism like this, I just feel confident in my knowledge of myself. The whole no one can make you feel inferior without your consent thing. It really works. That attitude is part of what got me interested in getting tattoos. I got my first tattoo as a promise to myself that I would always do my best to live unencumbered by the legacy of my childhood (sexual assault, among other serious things) and that I would always be strong enough to take care of myself. No one has ever expressed distain for it. Probably because they know me and who I am and what I stand for.

I wasn't personally offended myself. Regardless it is offensive to refer to the lower classes like you (in the general sense) are better than them. Especially in light of the current economic/political climate. The term low class should not be thrown around like an insult. It's ignorant and hurtful.

I don't know if I speak for all who are in the low class category or not, but to me that doesn't mean low pay. You can have money and be low class, or you can have very little money and still be classy. Low class is not equivalent to low pay.

Well put.

THANK you Audrey!! Besides that, I kept up with both threads last night, and words were twisted!! The original wording was a person's OPINION of having always viewed them as TACKY, *not* TRASHY. Trashy was brought in later, and had the words "NOT NECESSARILY" in front of it.

How that turned into (on the poll thread) - "SEVERAL people using those EXACT WORDS to express their ABSOLUTE DISGUST" - I don't know, but it is certainly NOT the way things went down.

At least that's the good thing about message boards; collective *you* can always go back and read for yourself...

If you want to debate over semantics. The first words used were "tacky and low-class" and then "trashy" was brought in later. Tomato, tomato.

FWIW, I have absolutely nothing against people who don't like tattoos. So whoever has lumped those of us with tattoos in the same category as having a vendetta against anyone who doesn't like tattoos...that's just not true. I don't particularly care what other people's opinion of tattoos are, I was just surprised at the wording and the amount of people here who feel so strongly negative about them. I thought the culture had changed in this way, I didn't know they (tattoos) were still attached to such a stigma.

Interesting when people who disagree on so many things are in complete agreement here.

The particular design is reminiscent of what I have seen painted on velvet in cheap tourist shops, it is not well done.

It's an okay colored pencil drawing one might find in an okay talented student in a high school art class. Pleasant? Yes. Beautiful? Meh. If my kid produced it, I might frame it and hang it on the wall. Have it permanently tattooed on my body? Nope.

IMO, human begins are a type of canvass, but very subtle materials should be used, not crayons and paint by numbers. But, again, imo, it's a taste issue. I have absolutely no problem with others doing what they wish regarding body "art". I would discourage a family member or close friend from altering their skin if they asked me. Having what *I* think is poor taste doesn't mean anyone is a bad person. Because tattoos are faddish right now, I wouldn't judge anyone harshly for having one. When I judge I try to focus on the important stuff like behavior.

:iagree: Most tattoos I've seen are certainly not what most people would think pretty enough to hang on their walls, past say college age, so I don't understand wanting it permanently on your own body. It looks like cheap art to me, or at least all I've seen. I can understand something with some meaning but it is still nothing I'd do. I've seen others mention tribal art and such but it seems from what I've seen that is done because it is culturally significant to the whole group, everyone knows the meanings of various markings, it doesn't seem to just be something an individual makes up and certainly not all cultures have found it to be something worth doing.