Menu

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She WAS taking it and applying it across the board, from what I can tell.

Yes I was. LOL

In fact, more so with someone I didn't know and love like my brother. If some stranger tatted up like my brother wanted my business I'd be all like, 'um, are you gonna come back later and rob me?'

There is a standard for society and when you choose to go outside of that standard there is a price to pay. If your reason is valid enough I 'get' it...but just for self expression? Not for me.

There is a standard for society and when you choose to go outside of that standard there is a price to pay.

Maybe the standard should change. It's not immutable. In fact, I believe it is changing.

My husband is college educated and is the senior director of his department. He has several visible tattoos. They illustrate our children's names graphically. He also has a big beard and Buddy Holly glasses. And he's d@mn good at his job, and the company knew they would be stupid to pass him up. He earned his job based on merit, which is the way it should be.

Tara

Yes I was. LOL

In fact, more so with someone I didn't know and love like my brother. If some stranger tatted up like my brother wanted my business I'd be all like, 'um, are you gonna come back later and rob me?'

There is a standard for society and when you choose to go outside of that standard there is a price to pay. If your reason is valid enough I 'get' it...but just for self expression? Not for me.

Wow! Okay.

I saw a picture on a poster (probably Photoshopped, but maybe not) of an old person with multiple earrings in holes on sagging earlobes and a wrinkled, indistinguishable tattoo. (I think her nose was peirced, too.) The point was how is that going to look when you're old, and do you really want to look like that? I think the caption on the poster was "Just because it seems like a good idea now doesn't mean it is" or something like that. That really stuck with me and now whenever I see a tattoo I think of it on old, wrinkled, sagging skin. :ack2:

For: My best friend's husband got his daughter's names tattooed on his upper arms, and I think that's sweet. For: I think military tattoos on a guy's arm are cool. Against: An ex-girlfriend of my bil got a tatoo that, while it didn't have his name on it, was suppose to symbolize their relationship. She can't afford to have it removed, so it's going to be there a looooong time. Against: A neighbor that we were friends with got a HUGE picture of Dopy (the dwarf from Snow White) that went from shoulder to shoulder. Neutral: My sil has a verse reference tattooed on her wrist. It's a verse about Jesus paying the price for our sins. It's a nice thought, but it doesn't look pretty. Against: A co-worker of dh has a LOT of tattoos, on her arms and chest. That combined with her severe haircut that is non-flattering, it makes her look like she gave up on ever wanting to look pretty, and decided to go for edgy instead.

Maybe the standard should change. It's not immutable. In fact, I believe it is changing.

My husband is college educated and is the senior director of his department. He has several visible tattoos. They illustrate our children's names graphically. He also has a big beard and Buddy Holly glasses. And he's d@mn good at his job, and the company knew they would be stupid to pass him up. He earned his job based on merit, which is the way it should be.

Tara

I don't doubt that. And good for him. And you. :) Curious if he had that look when he began his career...before he proved his worth.

I don't doubt that. And good for him. And you. :) Curious if he had that look when he began his career...before he proved his worth.

No, he didn't have the beard, the Buddy Holly glasses (or any glasses, back when he was a young pup), or all of the tats.

He did have an Elvis pompadour, sometimes-blue hair, an affinity for funky bowling shirts, several tattoos, and varying styles of punky goatee with long sideburns/chops. He's never looked conventional in his adult life.

Scarlett, I'm still curious how our tattoos/piercings (because I forgot to mention that my husband has hoops in his ears, as does our 9-year-old son) reflect values so drastically different from yours.

Tara

No, he didn't have the beard, the Buddy Holly glasses (or any glasses, back when he was a young pup), or all of the tats.

He did have an Elvis pompadour, sometimes-blue hair, an affinity for funky bowling shirts, several tattoos, and varying styles of punky goatee with long sideburns/chops. He's never looked conventional in his adult life.

Scarlett, I'm still curious how our tattoos/piercings (because I forgot to mention that my husband has hoops in his ears, as does our 9-year-old son) reflect values so drastically different from yours.

Tara

I guess 'reflect' would be the wrong word in your case Tara. But what you described would certainly give me pause that your values are different or at the very least you are into the shock factor.

You are correct that appearance doesn't always tell the story completely. But it certainly does tell a story.

But what you described would certainly give me pause that your values are different or at the very least you are into the shock factor.

I wonder why it's often assumed that people who do things differently are in it for the shock factor?

I was told once that I must have adopted black kids to "make a statement."

I wonder what the whole "adopting chronically ill kids" thing makes me into. :confused:

Huh. Whatevs.

;)

I'm not picking on you, Scarlett, I just honestly don't get why people have to make weird assumptions about others.

I mean, honestly, what if I said I wouldn't hire the guy with the short haircut, the khakis, and the polo shirt because his attire indicates that he holds values different than mine and that he must be looking that way because he doesn't think creatively and is rigid in his ideas. Or that he's doing it for the conventional factor, not because it's just what he happens to like.

Tara

Tara

I totally want to see a family picture now :D Seriously! Do you have any family pics or pics of your hubs and the son with hoops in his ears???

I mean, honestly, what if I said I wouldn't hire the guy with the short haircut, the khakis, and the polo shirt because his attire indicates that he holds values different than mine and that he must be looking that way because he doesn't think creatively and is rigid in his ideas. Or that he's doing it for the conventional factor, not because it's just what he happens to like.

Tara

This happens too with various fields and/or areas. They're just generally different fields and areas. I have no problem with it. People fit in where they fit in. ;)

Maybe you are just ASSUMING my assumptions are weird. :D

Hee hee.

I do think that if you met me you would know that I'm not a shock-value kinda person. I'm a "stay out of the limelight" kinda person. The only times I have ever been willing to "put myself out there" have been in regards to telling our story for adoption advocacy.

I'll look around for a pic. I might not have one of us all together that includes the guys in hoops, but maybe I can post some separate ones. I think you'll be disappointed, though. We really don't look that unusual.

Tara

You had me worried for a minute there that I would not be able to be your friend any more ;) Glad you have seen that those with tattoos do not necessarily fit into that stereotype

LOL Well, it was never really "my stereotype" but rather my family's. But it really wasn't even something on my radar. I had never really thought about it and therefore had never really formed my own opinion on it, but just had my family's opinion in the back of my mind that it was not something you shouldn't do.

My best friend got several tattoos while we were friends and I never once thought any different about her nor advised her not to do it. It was something that she wanted to do so I supported her even if it was something that I myself wouldn't do.

But like I said, it wasn't until I saw that show Miami Ink (which is fascinating btw) and started to learn more about why people get tattoos and the significance of them that I started to have understanding and form my own opinion of them rather than have my family's opinion rattling around in my head. lol

I hope that makes more sense. I never say things as clearly as I should. I didn't really have a problem with them before, but didn't have my own opinion on them. Now I have my own opinion on them and think it's a unique way to mark milestones in one's life and also that the artistry and the meanings behind them are often time very beautiful. :) And I still don't have a problem with them or the people who get them. :)

I'm aware of that. :) I'm just trying to point out that maybe society as a whole needs to loosen up a bit on the tattoo/piercing thing. As many poster have pointed out, lots of people have them. There's a fine line between people taking responsibility for their own actions/appearance and other people having their prejudices catered to. Would it be ok to refuse to hire a black person because one's clients are bigoted? (And yes, I realize one can't choose one's race, but it's the same idea: we can accommodate people's prejudices or ... not.)

Tara

Just to be upfront, I have no problem going to any business person with weird tattoos or tongue piercings or whatever. That would include an accountant or lawyer or any other professional. (The only exception might be those spike implants people get in their heads. They kind of freak me out in a visceral way.) I have a pretty heavily tattooed family on my dad's side as well.

But I am not sure that I am willing to say that concern about people's fashion choices - and I think that is what tattoos and piercings are really equivalent to, not race or sex - are something that make employers "prejudiced" if they are concerned over them.

I used to know a girl who would wear totally inappropriate clothes everywhere - she used to wear those shirts that look like napkins with strings to her job as an admin assistant, for example. She was perplexed when she was told that it gave the wrong impression for work - that it was just inappropriate. I personally think some professions could stand to loosen up their dress codes a bit, but I don't think it is bad for there to be more formal places, or that club wear is different from office wear.

And when someone makes the mistake of not knowing the language of clothing and wears a napkin shirt to work, people tend to judge that person as not knowing how the business works. I think that when people see visible tattoos, they also assume the person has them because they chose them and meant to say something with them. What they meant to say will depend on the person's experiences and the social conventions around them, and what is read will depend on the same things.

But I think if you are going to get a tattoo, you had better realize that people may not read them the way you intended, or that the social conventions might change. If you live in a place where people get tattoos to show a gang affiliation, don't be suprised when people "read" tattoos as being a gang statement. That isn't prejudice - they are using their experiences to interpret the statement you are making.

No good family pic but I can illustrate the things I am talking about.

We've got my husband's beard (and he's drinking beer, fulfilling the stereotype that tatted guys are drunks--we were at a brewery, even!), my husband's arm tattoos (which illustrate our children's names/heritages), me (taken just a few minutes ago, my head is at a funny angle so my eyebrow ring is visible over the rim of my glasses), and my tattoo.

I can only upload five images, so y'all can swoon over my son in the next post.

Tara

post-4430-13535086824742_thumb.jpg

post-4430-13535086824885_thumb.jpg

post-4430-13535086825084_thumb.jpg

post-4430-13535086825293_thumb.jpg

post-4430-13535086825503_thumb.jpg

post-4430-13535086824742_thumb.jpg

post-4430-13535086824885_thumb.jpg

post-4430-13535086825084_thumb.jpg

post-4430-13535086825293_thumb.jpg

post-4430-13535086825503_thumb.jpg

We've got my husband's beard (and he's drinking beer, fulfilling the stereotype that tatted guys are drunks--we were at a brewery, even!), my husband's arm tattoos (which illustrate our children's names/heritages), me (taken just a few minutes ago, my head is at a funny angle so my eyebrow ring is visible over the rim of my glasses), and my tattoo.

Tara

Before this thread I had you picture with long straight blonde hair. And no tattoos. Or piercings. :)

Which reminds me of the time all us girls in the office renamed each other names that we thought were better suited for each other. I was Erica. Off of All my Children. I have no idea of how that fits in with our current conversation but it did remind me of it.....

Before this thread I had you picture with long straight blonde hair. And no tattoos. Or piercings. :)

Oh gracious! Not me! I have thin, stick-straight hair that I can do nothing with. Hence the short cut. Btw ... behind the bangs my head is shaved. ;) I'm like the reverse mullet: Business in the back, party in the front!

Tara

Tara

Your family is beautiful! I think your dh is handsome. My dh has a full beard and I love it. I love the tattoos, too. Your son IS gorgeous. I thought by "hoops" you meant the ear circle stretchy things. Duh, I wasn't thinking. Of course just normal hoops. :tongue_smilie:

Just for good measure, here are my daughters, who illustrate neither tattoos nor "abnormal" piercings. :)

And thanks for the compliments. My husband IS handsome AND open and friendly. I think he rocks, pretty much. ;)

Tara

post-4430-13535086826172_thumb.jpg

post-4430-13535086826425_thumb.jpg

Tara

I love your husband's first tattoo. The one with the tree. That's really cool. :)

My son. My gorgeous, awesome, sweet son! His hair is a little wild here cuz I had just taken out his twisties.

Tara

What a beautiful boy! :)

I thought by "hoops" you meant the ear circle stretchy things. Duh, I wasn't thinking. Of course just normal hoops. :tongue_smilie:

I thought the same thing for some reason. She said "hoops" and I was thinking "tunnels" for some reason. :confused:

Tara, your son is indeed beautiful.:001_smile: And, fwiw, your dh looks like an open, friendly guy, with or without the tattoos.

:iagree: He does. He looks like he would be really funny too like he would have a great loud infectious laugh that makes everyone else laugh to hear it.

Just for good measure, here are my daughters, who illustrate neither tattoos nor "abnormal" piercings. :)

And thanks for the compliments. My husband IS handsome AND open and friendly. I think he rocks, pretty much. ;)

Tara

You have a beautiful family. :)

The prejudice being shown here is by people who demand that others stay silent, and even when asked a direct question not he honest in their reply.

That is not true. People have asked why it isn't possible to phrase your opinion in a less offensive way. That doesn't mean anyone asked anyone to be "silent." So many people demand sensitivity on their pet topics, but when it comes to a group they don't care about, then they are just sharing their opinion, too bad if it's rude and offensive.

This is not to say that we don't *all* pass judgments about people based on how they dress or act. For example, I was recently at the dentist office one morning and there was a woman in a purple lace bodysuit. It was not appropriate for streetwear, period, and a really weird thing to wear to the dentist. If I had been the dentist I would have had to cover her with those little napkin things that they put around your neck. But, that is a pretty extreme thing to see in everyday life. Tattoos are not extreme or abnormal, they are pretty common, and you would very likely not know which people in your office have them.

So many people demand sensitivity on their pet topics, but when it comes to a group they don't care about, then they are just sharing their opinion, too bad if it's rude and offensive.
I remember a certain poster here taking offense when I didn't automatically assume he was married to a woman simply because he was male. ;)

Tara, you have a beautiful family but I will tell you what I will always remember about you...that you dropped everything and went to Chicago looking for your friend's kid. If anyone ever judged you or your family based on tats or piercing, they are missing out on people that...although I've never met you...*I* rate as "gems" with a price far above rubies. What a true friend you are.

Well, employers could do this and maybe some will choose to do so.

Or they could hire employees that don't require an elaborate prequel like this. Or people could realize that their own choices might affect the perception that others have of them and proceed accordingly.

Yes. There are many fields where first impressions are critical, where image is everything. To have to apologize upfront for the appearance of someone in your company is figuratively shooting yourself/your company in the foot as you've immediately come across as weak by apologizing/explaining.

And, in this very competitive job market we have now, why in the world would an employer take a risk on someone who didn't fit their company image, when they likely have several other candidates who are equally qualified and impressive in their skills?

I may not think that's fair, but I do have to acknowledge that it's true.

Edited by Audrey

Yes. There are many fields where first impressions are critical, where image is everything. To have to apologize upfront for the appearance of someone in your company is figuratively shooting yourself/your company in the foot as you've immediately come across as weak by apologizing/explaining.

Depends on whether you see it as apologizing or advocating to change a stereotype.

Tara

I once worked at a place where one of the managers was a guy with long hair ... way down past his shoulders. And that was ok with them (as it should be). But when I shaved my head, I had to wear a headscarf.

Talk about capricious, ridiculous, and discriminatory!

Tara

Depends on whether you see it as apologizing or advocating to change a stereotype.

Tara

Actually it will depend on whether the client sees it as apologizing or advocating to change a stereotype. That's a guessing game on which most companies wouldn't gamble. And, as I said, it's not fair, but it's a fact one has to acknowledge, as well as be willing to accept the consequences if you want to challenge the stereotype by visibly pushing yourself outside the company norms.

Edited by Audrey

That's a guessing game on which most companies wouldn't gamble.

Then I guess that the stereotype will continue, because the people who could go a long way toward changing it wouldn't gamble on it. And I guess I can see their point. I mean, why go out on a limb for someone who chose their fate? :001_huh: Just keep catering to those prejudices!

ETA: I posted this before Audrey amended her post.

Tara

I used to know a girl who would wear totally inappropriate clothes everywhere - she used to wear those shirts that look like napkins with strings to her job as an admin assistant, for example. She was perplexed when she was told that it gave the wrong impression for work - that it was just inappropriate. I personally think some professions could stand to loosen up their dress codes a bit, but I don't think it is bad for there to be more formal places, or that club wear is different from office wear.

And when someone makes the mistake of not knowing the language of clothing and wears a napkin shirt to work, people tend to judge that person as not knowing how the business works. I think that when people see visible tattoos, they also assume the person has them because they chose them and meant to say something with them. What they meant to say will depend on the person's experiences and the social conventions around them, and what is read will depend on the same things.

I had a friend who did mortgages at JP Morgan in the old Trade Towers.

I remember asking her why all the Brooks Brothers wool jumpers?

Because it was 'frowned upon' for women to wear pants and anything above the knee. She also worked from home 4 days a week, but on that one day, out came the jumpers. It just is. It's not sexist (men wore two piece suits at the least), it's a uniform it sets a standard of dress within the company.

I used to hate such rules, but I've come to realize that abiding by *some* dress code standards within certain areas shows my respect within/for that organization.

When I go out as my husband's wife --even to the office when I know accounts will be there--you bet I dress the part. I don't walk in in PJs and demand that they respect me as a person. I wouldn't go teach in a tank top, sweats and slippers (how some kids show up for class).

Tatts demand that boundaries be crossed. They are permanent, they can't be used as accessories, they say something about the person who has them. That is the choice a person makes when they get them. It's also to be expected that some will not accept that those boundaries be crossed. And that's OK, too.

they say something about the person who has them

And that's what I keep wondering. What do tattoos say about the person who has them? Is it that we're tacky, low class, and trashy? Because I think that's been pretty adequately debunked. Is it that we have values incompatible with respectable people? Again, debunked. Is it that we want to be shocking? I think that's debatable ... probably true in some cases, definitely untrue in others. I think the only consistent thing this thread has shown is that people who hold prejudices about tattoos/people with tattoos are often in the wrong. Why is it the burden of those with tattoos to accommodate those with unrealistic prejudices? Is that what we as a society want? Untrue negative stereotypes are the order of the day and dictate social acceptability?

Tara

And that's what I keep wondering. What do tattoos say about the person who has them? Is it that we're tacky, low class, and trashy? Because I think that's been pretty adequately debunked. Is it that we have values incompatible with respectable people? Again, debunked. Is it that we want to be shocking? I think that's debatable ... probably true in some cases, definitely untrue in others. I think the only consistent thing this thread has shown is that people who hold prejudices about tattoos/people with tattoos are often in the wrong. Why is it the burden of those with tattoos to accommodate those with unrealistic prejudices? Is that what we as a society want? Untrue negative stereotypes are the order of the day and dictate social acceptability?

Tara

Tara, I think it's different for everyone both ways and so you're never going to get that definitive answer. I know wonderful people who have beautiful tatts, and I know Jersey Shore type who think of them as nothing more than an expensive status symbol and they just reinforce the negative stereotypes. You can't prevent group #2 from getting them, yanno? :D Just like any other tribe, there's always the people who you want to shut up in a closet but can't.

Tara

Many, many moons ago, I worked for a large company which had a strong preference for people who would 'conform', who would be 'team players'. I suspect your tatts may have sent the message to some of the people in their HR Department that you wouldn't fit that profile. I certainly didn't.

Then I guess that the stereotype will continue, because the people who could go a long way toward changing it wouldn't gamble on it. And I guess I can see their point. I mean, why go out on a limb for someone who chose their fate? :001_huh: Just keep catering to those prejudices!

Tara

Tara, you could start your own engineering firm. There's no law anywhere that says an owner has to be an engineer. You can find and hire engineers with any sort of tats or piercings you want - sink your money into it and try to change society. If it works, you've made out well on many fronts. If not, it's only money... ;)

Yes. There are many fields where first impressions are critical, where image is everything. ...

And, in this very competitive job market we have now, why in the world would an employer take a risk on someone who didn't fit their company image, when they likely have several other candidates who are equally qualified and impressive in their skills?

:iagree: Clients expect an image. Tatts and unusual piercings don't fit the image. Clients have the $$.

I used to hate such rules, but I've come to realize that abiding by *some* dress code standards within certain areas shows my respect within/for that organization.

When I go out as my husband's wife --even to the office when I know accounts will be there--you bet I dress the part. I don't walk in in PJs and demand that they respect me as a person. I wouldn't go teach in a tank top, sweats and slippers (how some kids show up for class).

Tatts demand that boundaries be crossed. They are permanent, they can't be used as accessories, they say something about the person who has them. That is the choice a person makes when they get them. It's also to be expected that some will not accept that those boundaries be crossed. And that's OK, too.

:iagree: I'd lose my job teaching in a hurry if I didn't abide by our dress code at school. I wouldn't be hired in the first place if I went to an interview looking scraggly. I couldn't tell you if visible tats were an issue or not - never cared since it never applied.

On a different note, I have fun wearing older (but clean) jeans and shirts when I go dress clothes shopping. You should see the sales ladies work hard to overlook me, but at that point, I have the $$ so I can do it. (I also prefer not being hounded by sales ladies, so not only have fun with it, I prefer it.) I don't think I'd shop for dress clothes somewhere with sales folks who had unusual hair/piercings/visible large tatts and/or wearing pj's or other "off" things. I expect that more at Spencers or other similar stores. I don't care if others are shopping with any of the above though.

Tara;

Just wanted to sum it up that I agree with everything you have said. And you have brought up some very good points. And I say good good for you if your son has hoops in his ears. It is called self expression.

My 19 has a belly piercing, and a lip piercing. She got a job no problem. Times have changed people. Just because they dress differently, tat up their body, poke holes in it, or shave their head with words that say "get a life", doesn't mean squat. It is the intention of their heart. Can anyone say they know the intentions of anyone's heart???? NOPE.

Again, I think I am going to seriously consider that Tramp Stamp that says "Made in China".:lol::lol:

Tara

From what I see in school, the stereotypes fit better than what I hear on here. I think, as usual, Hive folks tend to break stereotypes more than the general population. We're a unique group. It wouldn't surprise me at all if others in your circle also belonged to your unique group, but it doesn't mean everyone does.

The thing with stereotypes is that one has to realize they aren't ALWAYS true. That's consistent across the type whether one is talking regional differences or whatever. However, stereotypes tend to be more true than not when applied to a larger population (except those based upon non-factual race issues). That's how they became stereotypes in the first place.

When one is looking at the primacy effect - that first impressions count a TON - stereotypes are important to understand. Where we are, if engineers were to show up in a coat and tie they'd be distrusted. Throw them into Dockers and a Polo shirt and all is well... except when in court cases - then one had better have that shirt and tie. In other areas, it might be different. Image counts.

My 19 has a belly piercing, and a lip piercing. She got a job no problem. Times have changed people.

Is she working as an engineer? Or a CPA?

We're not talking that people with tatts, etc, can't get jobs - just that in certain fields their job opportunities are likely to be limited... Our field workers can have tatts and no one cares.

Just wanted to make that clear.

Originally Posted by TaraTheLiberator viewpost.gif

Tara

Nicely said.

Is she working as an engineer? Or a CPA?

We're not talking that people with tatts, etc, can't get jobs - just that in certain fields their job opportunities are likely to be limited...

Just wanted to make that clear.

That is lame. AND it is discriminatory to boot. Dress code does not mean, nor should it mean tattoos.

In certain jobs, like my DH who is an electrician, cannot wear piercings for obvious reasons.

And if my daughter being in a professional job that she has, and people choose not to utilize her because of the way her tattoos and piercings look. Then they are not worth her time anyways.

Seriously. In this day and age, people are stuck in the old ways of thinking that tattoos are somehow related to gangs, thugs, hard-core crminals.

:001_huh:

FTR, my daughter works TWO jobs. Both of which require heavy utilization with the public. And one of those jobs (a dance teacher), is very, very picky on dress code. She was hired based on her ABILITY, not the way she looks. And the parents of her students have accepted her the way she is. As it should be.

Again I ask, do people here know what the intention of someone heart is? I know the answer. It is no. So, you could have someone who looked like Richie Cunningham with no tat's,and be a serial killer/rapist/murderer/flunkee/bum/rude/nasty...........

Yet have a tattoo guy have the kindest heart.

I hope this isn't the way the Hive views Bikers with tattoos. Because that is a whole other subject. And let me just tell you. Again that is a HUGE stereotype. I cannot even tell you how many times a biker had me and my DH's back. (And no, he has no tat's).

Edited by dancer67

We know an engineer with piercings and a tat. (There may be more than one, I've only seen one. :lol: ) He is good at what he does. I think he's so busy that he doesn't notice people who choose not to hire him based upon those two things. :)

If you have tats or piercings are people going to judge you? Yes. Is EVERYONE going to judge you so much so that you can't pursue what you want to pursue? No. You might have to work harder to prove your skill or talent...but once that's done, it's done. Laugh your way to the bank.