Menu

Do you like Mother's Day?

I celebrate Mother's Day. I refuse to cook. Everyone is perfectly capable of doing for themselves at my house. I simply refuse to fix anything. If I want something, I take myself out to get it. I will not do laundry today either. Nope. Sorry dh, you want something for tomorrow; you can wash it yourself. Today, I will do what I want to do. For me, MD is a day off of doing things I don't wish to do. There are no gifts or cards. Honestly, I don't want them anyway.

Not sure if it is all that different from several other days when I just decide not to cook or do laundry though. I tend to have at least one day a week where I just don't feel like it. :lol::lol::lol:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, since I host brunch at my house for Mother's Day, yesterday began with my husband and I getting up early and doing a deep cleaning of the house. After we spent half the day on that, I went to the store to shop for all the food I would need for today. Then, I prepared a few casseroles and cleaned the refrigerator. In about 20 minutes, I need to get moving so that I can finish preparing the rest of the food and clean the bathrooms. Right now, my husband is mopping the downstairs floors.

So, there's good and bad. My husband really pitches in and helps me, so I get my house much more thoroughly cleaned. My windows are sparkling clean and it's been a long time since I could say that. I got up late last night to check on something and saw my husband bought me a huge thing of flowers. One the one hand, I'm glad he thought of me, but on the other, they will be dead in a couple of days and I would have much rather had that money to spend on something else. I was already feeling a little ill about how much I had spent on brunch. I do love having my family over and honoring my own mother, though.

It's a win-win for my daughter. :tongue_smilie: She told me she loves Mother's Day because it's a holiday, so there's no schoolwork. She got to plant flowers with her Dad. She got to go to the store with me and I bought her a piece of pizza. She loves helping clean the house and she got to make sticky buns. Today she will get to play with her cousins and see her grandparents. She was telling me all this as I was scraping who-knows-what out of the refrigerator and it made me feel happier about the whole thing. I wish I had her positive outlook, but at least she shared a little of it with me. Ironically, her enjoyment of the day made me feel happy to be her mom.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

I'm not a fan. Perhaps it's from having a narcissistic mother - EVERY day is all about her, but the OFFICIAL day to celebrate her greatness? :001_rolleyes: And, of course, since I am also a mother, I should be full-scale cotillion "celebrated", too. (but I suppose that would have to happen on a different day, since I should obviously be busy adjusting her tiara at her Me Gala, right?)

But I'm not a big celebration kind of girl. I'm a celebrate and appreciate people in real time kind of girl. If I want to take a day off, just for me, I will do it when I'm feeling like a need to recharge, not on the third Sunday of May. And I appreciate it less when people are forced to appreciate me. (I have the same feeling about performance reviews at work, too; it's not just a holiday thing.)

I'm working today - which I'm blah about because Sundays are slow and boring - and, since I closed last night, I have left myself a to-do lost of all the things that annoy me (dust on the fans in the group-ex rooms, smudges on the walls) and I'm going to tackle them all this afternoon. And I will be happy because a) they will not annoy me anymore and b) I will be doing something instead of sitting at the desk lamenting all the stuff I could be doing at home. Woot!

The irony of Mother's Day here is that several men in the family have birthdays that typically fall on or around Mother's Day. So, we may go out to dinner tonight in honor of both.

Honestly, I hate all holidays. They are way too much work for no gain.

:grouphug: I am with you Lynn. happy Mother's Day!! :grouphug:

Intry to remember to be in a nice, loving mood. It is difficult when I feel like popping everyone in the eye! Then I think, Hallmark should be sued for coming up with yet another reason moms should feel like cr@p....

I might go get some therapy....and send Hallmark the bill!!!

I'm dreading the day. It's gearing up to be full of more work than I can manage, and I'll wind up falling into bed exhausted and feeling like I've failed again.

I don't usually care about Mother's Day or even my birthday, but today, I feel so worn out that it kind of hurts.

Yes and no.

My kids really do care and I like their expressions of love and hugs. My dh is letting me be lazy today and we'll pop a frozen lasagna in the oven for dinner. :)

The other side is painful. I never feel like I "get it right" for my own mom, and I'm adopted so there is another mom out there that I know nothing about. It's all too bittersweet (like every holiday, lol)

But our anniversary is tomorrow so I'm looking forward to dinner out for that. :D

I'm dreading the day. It's gearing up to be full of more work than I can manage, and I'll wind up falling into bed exhausted and feeling like I've failed again.

I don't usually care about Mother's Day or even my birthday, but today, I feel so worn out that it kind of hurts.

:grouphug: Gentle hugs to you.

My first few mother's days were horrible let downs for me. I had high expectations and they never panned out. After that I reviewed what would make me happy. I now love mother's day. The kids give me cards and an extra long hug. I putter around the house. I make no plans for any activities. I read if I want, watch tv if I want, do laundry, garden, whatever I want. It is relaxing and pleasant.

It helps that my neices birthday party is always the Sat. of mother's day weekend and I no longer have to schlepp in the car for 2 hours plus on Sunday to see my mother-in-law. The party takes care of that obligation.

Mother's Day is okay. Over the years we've developed a routine of flowers, homemade cards, and breakfast in bed. After breakfast, I may or may not have any special treatment, but for that brief time it's nice to have my crew all looking at me with bright, happy faces. Later, after church, we'll go over to MIL's house. She planned a get-together. I used to think that was kind of weird, but now I understand - she wants to see everyone at once instead of having people drop by off and on all day long. People tend to stay longer that way, and it's more fun for everyone.

As a pastor's wife, Mother's Day kind of stinks. It's a work day for my husband, so I have to take care of the kids as usual and get them to church. After church we usually go out to a park together or something.

I've found that I'm happier on Mother's Day if I just let go of expectations. I know that my family loves me, and I don't need breakfast in bed to prove it. ;)

This is so true for all holidays and most other things in life. It is so hard to follow at times though.:tongue_smilie:

I enjoy mother's day. We don't do anything big other than spend the day together. Dh did get up this morning to take the jeep for some exercise. I figure he will be back with roses. Dd is still sleeping.

I like it.

It's all about me.

Gifts, eating meals out, special treatment... and did I mention the gifts? :D

Life is good.

I agree. I like it too. My family dotes on me. We go out to eat. I get lovely gifts. I don't lift a finger all day. What's not to like? :D

But most of all, my kids LOVE Mother's Day. It gives them great joy to pamper me all day. So, who am I to stop them? :tongue_smilie:

I putter around the house. I make no plans for any activities. I read if I want, watch tv if I want, do laundry, garden, whatever I want. It is relaxing and pleasant.

I like it. The above is what Mother's Day is like for me. A nice card and a day to just putter. Also no cooking, which means either dh cooks or we send out for pizza. I don't like going out to eat on holidays and dealing with the crowds.

Not really. My dh is working 12 hr days (even today) and won't be home until 7:30.

I'm pretty sure my kids have no idea it's today. I plan to keep it that way to alleviate any unnecessary guilt on their part or disappointment on mine.

Well, you kinda sound a little tiny bit grinchy. :D ;)

I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking that every holiday should be the perfect day where everyone is in a great mood and everything goes just as it was planned, and everybody gets along perfectly and no one whines... and then when any tiny little thing goes wrong, there are meltdowns all around.

I have found that, on holidays, it's often best to lower the bar a little, and everyone will have a better time. When you go for perfect, you set yourself up for disappointment. And perfect is probably more likely to happen when no one is stressing about it, anyway.

Well, the real problem is not *my* expectations, but those of extended family. A few years ago I just put my foot down and said "Enough!" So now, that part of the stress has been removed. But I still don't like the day, I think it's artificial.

I am aware that we have different opinions. :D

Sincerely, I hope your special day is wonderful, Cat!

I LIKE it. However, I'm very low maintenance. :D. DH delivered my tea to bed and that thrills me. Also, mothers day means that later when I need to go to the fabric store, nobody can complain. It also means I choose the take-out because I refuse to fight the crowds. We may just grill out tonight since we haven't done that yet this year.

At some point I'll call my mother and grandmother and DH will call his, but we don't exchange gifts. Last year they DID surprise me with an iPad, but that was a twofer because it was ordered for my March birthday but didn't arrive til May.

On mothers day my son asked what time it was. I told him it was 8pm and he started crying. You see, he wanted Mothers Day to be over because it was SO HARD to be good all day.

Yep, I like it because it's low key and nobody expects anything of me.

The title pretty much says it all.

I am not feeling the love. I feel like there's so much pressure to be valued in a certain way - to be the kind of mother who is just so awesome that everyone in her family makes a big fuss over her.

I worked my behind off all day accomplishing a ridiculous amount of things in hopes that then I could have some R&R tomorrow. Because I "should," because it's Mother's Day. I don't even know if that makes sense! I wore myself out so that tomorrow I can do less, but nothing's been taken off my plate.

Do you like Mother's Day?

It's hard IMO when your kids are small. I like it more now that my kids are older, and can look back and actually appreciate what I have done for them and find ways to show it. My dil is cooking me lunch and I am going to have a nice day. :001_smile:

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

It doesn't have to be some huge, earthshaking, philosophical thing. Wouldn't it be fun just to have your dh and kids spoil you for the day?

Yeah, but have you missed the dozens of posts by people who don't get spoiled for the day? That's what I mean when I say there's pressure to have a certain kind of experience.

My family brought me breakfast in bed and some cards. My 7yo actually made a really cool pop-up card, and another one she'd written some tongue-twisters in. (Voluntary writing! :svengo: ) It was really nice. But, you know, that ten minutes was it. In a couple of minutes, I need to get out of bed and get the kids dressed for church. This afternoon we'll go grocery shopping and tonight I'll cook dinner and give the kids baths. Et cetera.

I'm not Cinderella or anything, but I do feel the weight of cultural expectation that Mother's Day is supposed to be this grand celebration in which I am spoiled and honored and the day is about me. I don't expect that - I expected exactly what I got - but I guess it's stressful to be so aware of the mismatch between what's "supposed" to happen and what does.

One year I was on my own with the kids and took them to the library. The librarian went in to this horrified song-and-dance about "But surely this isn't your Mother's Day! Well, they must have done SOMEthing! Just a card, REALLY?!" Way to make me feel like carp. :glare:

:grouphug: Gentle hugs to you.

Thanks. It helps.

Not really. My dh is working 12 hr days (even today) and won't be home until 7:30.

I'm pretty sure my kids have no idea it's today. I plan to keep it that way to alleviate any unnecessary guilt on their part or disappointment on mine.

This is how holidays often go for us, too. We almost never celebrate on the actual day. It does work to keep expectations low. ;)

DH just got home from a 24-hour shift this morning. He's helping around the house cheerfully (instead of working outside like most days). Maybe today will be better than I thought.

Edited by mudboots

It's good, I dont have to pamper my MIL this year!! Her favorite niece that she has said numerous times that she thinks as her own is spending the week with her and she just doesn't have time for us to visit or to come to our home...

So A-OK!!! Thing is, we will be crap because we didn't spend the day with her and her niece.

We are going to look at a lake property and then my dad is going to grill steaks for everyone... Which I can't eat because I'm suffering from TMJ right now and need some help bad...

All I want is my kids to get along and stop bad mouthing me... If I don't clean it will just be piled up for tomorrow.....

Oh well.

At some point I'll call my mother and grandmother and DH will call his, but we don't exchange gifts. ...(snip)... Yep, I like it because it's low key and nobody expects anything of me.

Do your mom and grandmother not live nearby? The thing is, there were always huge expectations on me, and none of them were about my being papmpered or if what the kids/dh did for me was up to snuff (Rivka's stresses) but that because I was supposed to be pampering/catering to my mom and MIL, no one gave a fig about me. A call in no way would have been enough. We had to take them out to eat, or assemble for a garden tour of their choosing, or more likely all of the above, in sequence for each one.

I don't need to be pampered, but I really don't want to spend the day pampering someone else (or two someone elses). This is why we've moved "Mothers Day for mothers of mothers" to Saturday. Now no one expects anything of me. Aaaah. I really don't think it's fair for women who are now grandmothers to expect that those mothers still "in the trenches" give up their mothers day for them. I fully plan to stand aside on mothers' day when I'm a grandmother. And honestly I've had some really nice days with my mom making it all about her now that I'm not simultaneously feeling resentful of being ignored myself.

I like it. The day always turns into an affirmation of just how much I'm needed, more than appreciated.:tongue_smilie:Never a dull moment.

For this Mother's Day I got a broke duck. (Hit by car, fracture, contusions and abrasions. Going to be fine, but I'm going to have her for about six weeks for treatment and rehab.) I mean, what more can you expect as a Critterfixer?

I just got word that something exploded in some brush that the DH was burning. I wonder if I'm going to be treating burns today?

Guess I'd better go find out.

I enjoy Mother's Day, but it is really low key here. I am a single mom, so the kids make me something themselves and have it ready for me in the morning. It is never very much, but because they take the initiative without anyone having to remind them, it always means so much to me.

Later in the day I usually take my mom out for a lunch and a movie while my step-dad watches the kids. I love having time with just my mom, and we always have fun together.

I don't have strong feelings about it either way. I feel appreciated all year by my dh, and my kids are too young to really expect anything out of them. So to have a whole day about it is kind of pointless, but I do recognize that sometimes moms just need a day like that.

My 5yo DS built me a flower garden out of Legos, and made me a card, which was all I wanted. My dh bought me the red Toms i wanted. My ILs are coming for dinner, but I'm not cooking it. :tongue_smilie:

So, I can't complain.

No I do not. It usually ends up being a day the kids fight me even more. They take it out on me that their friends can't play because they are doing stuff with their moms. Instead of taking that as their cue that they should be doing something with me they make the day as miserable as they can. The only card I ever get is from my own mother. My kids can't be bothered to even say happy mother's day to me. So far today I have been yelled at for refusing to cook waffles (we had them for dinner last night, and I got lazy and did not clean the waffle iron, so I told them we could have pancakes), been yelled at for not getting off my computer when a certain child wanted it, and it is just 9 am. I don't need big gifts, or a meal out etc. BUt it would be **** nice if my kids could be bothered to say Happy Mother's Day and give me a hug and tell me they love me. That is unlikely to ever happen, Most of the time I can deal with that, but mother's day brings it to the forefront which sucks.

I'm not Cinderella or anything, but I do feel the weight of cultural expectation that Mother's Day is supposed to be this grand celebration in which I am spoiled and honored and the day is about me. I don't expect that - I expected exactly what I got - but I guess it's stressful to be so aware of the mismatch between what's "supposed" to happen and what does.
:grouphug:

Just throwing this out:

I'm going to buy a bunch of coloured glass tiles or stones, and every time I feel warm and fuzzy about the kids I'm going to have them take one and put it in a big jar. The kids will see it growing. :001_smile: Next summer I want us to do something with them... maybe a mosaic, or vases, or tiles inlaid in stepping stones, or something. There's plenty of time to think about different projects. Something like this could be adapted for Mother's Day: Instead of a day, it could more a remembrance and celebration of your year together.

This has been interesting to read. I didn't know that some people had expectations of no work on Mother's Day. Honestly - I work in some capacity - every single day - even Christmas Day! This morning will be like every single Sunday morning. But my family will tell me that they love me and will give me a hug and so it will be better.

We'll go out to lunch "for Mother's Day". But honestly we go out for lunch 80% of the time after church on Sunday because we are the last ones out of the church and lock up. So it really won't be any different than usual. But my family will give me another hug and a "Happy Mother's Day" so it will be better.

I'll come home to the same messy house. I'm fairly sure that dd has gotten me a gift (since she keeps hinting about it) but I'm also fairly sure that ds has done zero commercially for me. I'm happy with both of them. Both will tell me that they love me in their unique ways. And yes, they love me on other days and do tell me but they put a little bit more thought into telling me specifically today.

I don't expect or want anything specifically from my dh. I am of the "I'm not his mother" persuasion. He mentioned Mother's Day last night and I told him that his only contribution was making me a mother to begin with!

I don't really care much about it. Dh is very inconsistent about having the kids do anything so I don't expect much. He is not a nurturing person, so it just isn't in his bones to think about other people.

I hoped to sleep in a bit this morning before I have to go to work at 10am, but he left his phone down stairs last night and it kept chiming and waking me up. It finally woke me up for the day at 6:50am, instead of sleeping in. :glare:

DD5 made me a little present at school but she had a tantrum about giving it to me early, so I let her give it to me on Wednesday.

DD13 is at Great Wolf Lodge with a friend until noon, I will see her when I get off work. She told her dad what she wanted to get for me a few weeks ago, but I know he didn't follow through with helping her get it.

Ds17 will be at church all day until 7 or 8pm tonight.

That is a pretty typical day for me, so.....I really don't care much about Mother's Day....it is just like any other.

As a pastor's wife, Mother's Day kind of stinks. It's a work day for my husband, so I have to take care of the kids as usual and get them to church. After church we usually go out to a park together or something.

I've found that I'm happier on Mother's Day if I just let go of expectations. I know that my family loves me, and I don't need breakfast in bed to prove it. ;)

:iagree:

I used to get so discouraged on holidays but after I stopped expecting what other people did and what the media hype says is normal, life has been so much better!

For today, dh has gone to church and will be there until noon running sound. Kids and I are taking the day off and just lounging. (Kids are pretending to be archaeologists with their apples, lol.) He has to work this afternoon and I am ok with that. His working is a way of him showing how much he loves me. There were no presents or cards and I could care less. It is very freeing. I chose this year to cook, so I will be doing that later. I am looking forward to a great day!

Edited by Guest

I don't like it. I've had two children-one is alive, one isn't. I avoid going to church on Mother's day, avoid going out into the big, "Families fussing over mom" settings, and generally avoid it. I'm too aware that being a mom can change in a heartbeat-or a lack thereof.

I don't like it. I've had two children-one is alive, one isn't. I avoid going to church on Mother's day, avoid going out into the big, "Families fussing over mom" settings, and generally avoid it. I'm too aware that being a mom can change in a heartbeat-or a lack thereof.

:grouphug:

no, I don't really care for it. It is all about my mom, stepmom and MIL - I am in charge of finding gifts that they will like but that we can afford, then I have to juggle how to see them all and go to church, which we can't so I juggle seeing two of them and scheduling the 3rd for another day. Most of them won't be happy either way, because we can't spend the whole day with them (my MIL is the easiest, she is happy no matter what). The day is not about me at all or what I would like.

I like Mother's Day! I am a mom every day but on this day my dc's take a moment to let me know they care. I think that they appreciate me all the time but it's nice for them to have a reminder to let me know it, kwim?

This day has been wonderful! DH got me a gift that I really didn't expect and he wrote me a wonderful card. He wrote wonderful things about how much he appreciates that I teach dd and the wonderful things I do with her. Yes, he tells me these things other times but it is so nice to have him take time to write down his thoughts and tell me these things. My boys both made me feel special with a gift and cards and I love that. I get that other times during the year but it's just nice to have a special day! DD (she just turned 5) made me a homemade card and I cherish it. DH helped her get me a gift and she was so proud to give it to me. My grandma once told me that Mother's Day is her favorite holiday because her family takes time out of their very busy lives to give her a moment to shine. I like that...everyone should shine once in a while!

My husband runs a restaurant. I cook my own meals because he's busy at work making sure all the other mothers are fed. :lol: He was off two years ago and I had to sit my huge pregnant self in a car for 3.5 hours each way to go see his mother, feeling carsick the entire time. I'll take staying home by myself!

I don't really care one way or another. I tend to not let society's expectations affect me, especially for contrived "holidays" like Mother's Day, Boss's Day, etc.

My girls & I are going to hang out at Pearl St Mall in Boulder for a bit, then go to the Bolder Boulder store and get a "Sea Level is for Sissies" t-shirt.

I don't care if other people think I'm a fantastic mother worthy of her family making a big fuss over. I judge my value as a mother on how my kids turned out.

This thread reminds me of a book I've enjoyed- Why do YOU Care What Other People Think?

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I hope you aren't too sad today.

My children are grown and flown.. :D

I will call my mom today. Some years, I send a card also. My children will most likely call me. One of them sent a card. My dh will wish me a happy mother's day. Some years, he gets me a card & flowers - some years - not. If he's home, he'll cook me dinner, but he cooks frequently, anyway. I've never received gifts on Mother's Day, except the handmade things from the kids when they were little.

In other words, it's low-key & flexible around here, and I love it that way.

Anne

Why does your ex need to be involved at all? Shouldn't it just be a mother-daughter day for you and your dd? And why would you be involved in Father's Day?

I'm sorry he's such a nuisance, but if he's your ex, he should start learning to stay out of things that no longer concern him. Starting with Mother's Day.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Anne

It doesn't have to be some huge, earthshaking, philosophical thing. Wouldn't it be fun just to have your dh and kids spoil you for the day?

Why can't people decide for themselves how—or whether—to acknowledge Mother's Day, or any other holiday, for that matter? Moms shouldn't be pressured to defend their choice not to celebrate or for finding it painful or disappointing rather than lovely and wonderful, just as you don't need to defend your choice to celebrate the day.