Menu

What does the "breadwinner" in your house do?

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Political journalist. Dh summarizes the news for various people, groups and companies, most notably for the president and the White House.

He just has a BA. Well, he also has a year of div school, but that's a bit unrelated.

ETA: This thread is fascinating. I love how these jobs cross every skill and walk of life and yet homeschooling unites us all. :)

Edited by farrarwilliams

He 's active duty Army National Guard...he's eligible for retirement now, but he's hanging on a few more years so he can immediately start drawing his retirement...we're counting it down!

He has a B.S. in Radiologic and Imaging Sciences and an M.B.A.

Dh is in the flight simulation field. He started as an electronics tech in the military. With that, he got a job at an airline. Got his bachelors in computer science, which led him into software development. He just got his masters, which will allow him to promote in to upper management.

Dh is a Senior Oracle Database Architect (which means that he designs rather complicated database systems and is an extreme geek) for a large computer services company.

Previous to that job he, well, did the same thing for a different, large software company.

Before that he had taken a short break from his computer geekiness and was assistant vice-president of a college/seminary...a job he did not like.

Oh, he triple majored in college in Computer Science, Mathematics, and Business Administration. He hasn't completed any work towards a master's.

Faith

Edited by FaithManor

I wish I had a short answer. Dh does a lot of different things for a very large company that does a bunch of different things. One day, he's manual labor, the next he's lunching with rich people. His job title is completely non-descript, and I hate writing it on the little lines that come with all sorts of paperwork, lol.

He has a BS in a totally unrelated field.

My husband is a contractor. He can build a house from start to finish! He quit high school two months shy of graduating but has been a successful builder with ups and downs. God always provides work and our bills are always paid. I have the college degree in teaching and happily use it to teach my darlings!

CEO of tech company he started. It was recently sold, and he might 'retire' b4 he starts up another company.

He's also a major in the reserves.

BA in English and Political Science, MA in Econ, History.

I write, but it's certainly not for the money. I've had 3 books published, but the royalties are minimal.

Laura

Dh is a model builder/designer for Walt Disney Imagineering. He has a high school education and scattered college classes just for fun, mostly not in his field. Previously he worked in makeup/sculpture/moldmaking in the movie industry and learned that and modeling on the job.

An old school friend used to work at Imagineering. :)

Dh was an Auslan teacher, unemployed for two years, and is now happily a test analyst.

He spent way too much time at uni and now has:

A Diploma of Auslan

A B.S in Computer Science and Psychology

A graduate Diploma of Education

A graduate diploma in deaf education

A graduate diploma in web based programming things (not official title :D)

and two industry certifications for testing.

I will never give him permission to go back to uni. :p

Rosie

DH is a stay-at-home-Dad...

I work in the Research Biosafety Division at a large University/Teaching Hospital. I am part of a team that oversees the safety of research labs; basically I inspect the labs, write up reports, and oversee corrective action plans.

As an interesting note: another part of our office is the Division that approves clinical drug trials at the University/Hospital. The main purpose of that division is the protection of the human subjects involved in the drug trials.

I have been with the University for 23 years, in my current position for 10. HS Diploma, some college.

~coffee~

Dh is an Electronic Technician II for the department of Traffic Engineering in our city. He maintains/repairs/rebuilds the cabinets (that house the electronics) that control the traffic lights as well as the detection systems (cameras and loops). He has been doing this for 11 years now. He also does computer and electronic related work on the side.

Dh has a highschool diploma, several certifications (HVAC and some computer related), and some other classes. He is a real hands on type learner and does well at anything he puts his hands on.

Dh is a Missionary Evangelist currently working in travel insurance

He completed most of the Travel/Tourism/Hospitality coursework in a Canadian college after high school and worked in the travel industry for many years. He later went to a Bible College in the States and then we both went to a school of evangelism together.

I work too, but he is pretty much the breadwinner. I'm mostly paying back my student loans with my job.:tongue_smilie:

Dh is a self employed writer/teacher. He teaches Biblical Languages, and runs the website hebrew4christians.com. Prior to this, he was a technical writer at an engineering company. Currently, he is developing Biblical language tools for adult/non-seminary students, and also for homeschoolers. He has done graduate work in Philosophy/Logic, along with some Seminary classes.

DH is an insurance agent. He is considered self employed but works for a broker. It's straight commission but after 4 years it's starting to be worth it. He has a master's degree that is pretty much only useful as a paper weight. He only had to pass the state insurance exam to do his current job.

MrTea works as a maintenance man for a food manufacturer. He has a highschool diploma, and does continuing education through work that is industry specific. These online classes are optional and done in the computer lab at work while the company pays him overtime wages. The certification he receives through these courses translate to increased wages and the ability to work in the areas that interest him the most. Incredibly, not all his peers take advantage of this opportunity. He just shakes his head.