Menu

What does the "breadwinner" in your house do?

Okay. Sort of a spinoff from another thread.

If you live on just one income from only one job, what does the "breadwinner" of the household do to earn a living?

:bigear:

Susan

Oh. Adding. What is their education??

Edited by susankenny

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you live on just one income from only one job, what does the "breadwinner" of the household do to earn a living?

Own & operate an organic dairy farm. His schooling & apprenticeship in Switzerland would be roughly equivalent to a two-year ag business degree in this country.

Edited by Colleen

My dh works 7 days a week. He works Mon-Fri at a private school and on the weekends he runs the local planetarium. Needless to say I LOVE when my MIL stays with us. She is such a big help and stays anywhere from 3-6 months a year.

DH takes the standard breaks of summer, spring break, and Christmas. But still- those days get few and far between.

But it is allowing us to homeschool. And he loves his weekend job as their astronomer go-to guy and claims that the weekends don't even feel so much like work.

But still. I would like to have him around more often. :001_wub:

Partner in a generic pharmaceutical product development company. Previously (like 2 months ago) he was the VP of Analytical R&D for a generic pharmaceutical company. Basically he still does the same thing just he now does it for himself.

He has a Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry, some graduate level credits and has published in scientific journals.

Dh is a model builder/designer for Walt Disney Imagineering. He has a high school education and scattered college classes just for fun, mostly not in his field. Previously he worked in makeup/sculpture/moldmaking in the movie industry and learned that and modeling on the job.

Dh writes custom computer programs for his company in the automotive tool design industry.

He only has a high school diploma. He self-taught all the programming stuff he knows. His dad worked in the automotive tool design industry too, and got dh into it pretty much right out of high school.

He just has a gift for what he does, and has created a name for himself in his corner of the world.

My husband was first a pipefitter helper then a pipefitter then did assembly (mining drills, road compactors, etc). The money on the latter isn't as good but it is a much more stable job (well, or so I thought til 2009 when he lost the job. He went back 15months ago and has since that line has also closed and now the line he is on will close also...going to another country).

He has a GED and did part of a certificate program 20some years ago. He does have various certifications regarding pipefitting and regarding the assembly work (not sure if those are job certs or industry certs).

My dh is a civil engineer. He has a degree in environmental engineering.

He generally puts in around 50 hours a week but frequently it is closer to 60. When there is a "crisis", which seems to come along more often than not, it can be much more than that. He won't work Sundays though.

My husband is a Professor at a state university. He has a PhD in Ecology.

His income is what we work from but we have a student that also stays here to and we make a bit off that. I have the conversations and make the meals and do the extra work associated with that. Maybe you could say I make that money but we could mange without if need be.

He's an engineer for a high-reliability chip company. His bachelor's degree is in Bible and NT Greek, and he has a semester of seminary. He's got an associates in something, but I can never remember what. He's currently on the 20 year plan to get a bachelor's somewhat related to his current field (at his employer's request, and on his employer's dime).

Previously, dh was a district manager for a snack food company. We could have lived on his income alone at this job. He has a high school diploma.

Now, he own his own insurance agency. We could not live on just his paycheck now.

We now live on OUR income, since I now work for dh, but we lived on one income for 20 years....and we did ok with that.

My dh is a HVAC Tech and a licensed Plumber.

He has a college education, but never graduated...he is 1 credit shy:glare:, but feels it is not necessary for his business...and so far it isn't. He also went to many technical schools and trade schools, and continues to go to them A's products and technology changes, and we have to keep up with our field.

CPA, BS degree, professional certification, 40 hrs CPE per year.

DH has a BA degree and 72 credits toward an MDiv. He does some carpentry work for extra money, but mostly takes care of the house and kids.

Edited by LizzyBee

He has 80 college credits, he changed his major 5 times and decided school just wasn't his calling. :001_smile:

I work PT as his office manager, PT at a college, and homeschool 3 kids (oh, and I also take classes at a distance learning college, have been on the twenty year plan to get my degree. :)

Dh is a model builder/designer for Walt Disney Imagineering. He has a high school education and scattered college classes just for fun, mostly not in his field. Previously he worked in makeup/sculpture/moldmaking in the movie industry and learned that and modeling on the job.

Oh, so much cooler than snaking toilets and sucking soot out of boilers!!!!

This is dd's dream career, that and to be the newest editor in chief of MAD magazine:D.

Dh worked for Disney for a while. In accounting. The Burbank office was overflowing so he worked at the rented space in the BofA building in Glendale on Brand.

Dawn

My husband is a business/IT consultant for a large consulting firm.

He has a Bachelors (in piano performance and conducting) and a Masters (in music composition). He's just always been really, really good at technology and business. He does still compose for an orchestra of his making, but that always seems to lose money instead of bring it in. Still, I think he's pretty amazing!

Check out his music HERE.

DH's job = City Fire Department for 26+ years (he is Captain of an Engine company)

DH's education = was 1 class short of a BA in Creative Writing

(It will now take him 1.5 semesters to get that BA, as the requirements have changed so much over the years).

Edited by Lori D.

Technical writer. Ever since our kids were born he's also done extra jobs such as freelance writing and music for hire. Right now he also is in law school so he doesn't have the time to work extra jobs as much and we just have to live even leaner. We also recently moved near Music City where nearly everyone is a musician so paying gigs are not really much of an option anymore. He is the hardest working man I know, and I'm blessed to have him.:001_smile:

Missed this, adding: B.S. in communications, M.A. in journalism, completing 2nd year of law school

Edited by famof5redheads
incomplete post