Menu

If you had $200-$300 to spend on something frivolous & fun....

What would it be???

Hubby got a bonus at work and he wants to get me something. This is the first time that we don't have to use the bonus to pay bills, so it is a nice treat.

Anyway, I have been thinking about a Keurig coffee maker, a nice blender, some type of exercise equipment (like a bike or a rowing machine), a kitchen aid stand mixer, etc.... However, I am having a hard time with this believe it or not! Haha!

I know, nice problem to have. It is actually that I keep thinking, nooooo, I don't really need that OR will I really use that?

Soooo... any thoughts on items I have mentioned or any great suggestions???

My hubby is treating himself to an iPad. It will really be ours. :) That is a nice treat for him and he has definitely earned it at this job of his.

Anyway, curious to hear everyone's thoughts and ideas. Thanks!!! :)

What would it be???

Hubby got a bonus at work and he wants to get me something. This is the first time that we don't have to use the bonus to pay bills, so it is a nice treat.

Anyway, I have been thinking about a Keurig coffee maker, a nice blender, some type of exercise equipment (like a bike or a rowing machine), a kitchen aid stand mixer, etc.... However, I am having a hard time with this believe it or not! Haha!

I know, nice problem to have. It is actually that I keep thinking, nooooo, I don't really need that OR will I really use that?

My hubby is treating himself to an iPad. It will really be ours. :) That is a nice treat for him and he has definitely earned it at this job of his.

For me, it would definitely be the mixer. Although I did think of an iPad as well, but if your husband is getting one and will share, then I'd totally get a KitchenAid!

I have a Keurig and love it and it is a nice treat but an ipad would be better. Buy refurbished from apple.com. They have the same warranty as new and are cheaper so you could probably get two. We thought we were going to share too....we now each have our own. It is easily the single most useful and fun thing I've purchased in the last 10 years.

ETA: I bought my ipad new because I didn't know any better but have since purchased 2 refurbished ones. We gave my mom and ipad2 for Christmas as a group gift and the first generation one for dh. There is absolutely no difference between the new one and the refurbished other than price.

I'd be looking for a round-trip plane ticket to somewhere hot and sunny, to go all by myself. (I just googled. I could go to FL and back for a short weekend for $237)

But I'm recovering very slowly from strep throat and a double ear infection, and I've been diagnosed with critically low vitamin D levels, so this need for warmth and sun might be a personal thing.

If you're healthy you probably want the mixer. LOL

The book store. I hardly ever buy new books just because of how pricey they are. I usually borrow my books from the library and occasionally buy used on Amazon but rarely just walk into a bookstore anymore and buy whatever I want. I'd probably go the book store and buy some books and order some expensive drink, and then maybe go buy some fun article of clothing while I was at it, too. :D

This is assuming a vacation was out of the question haha.

Get shoes and Mixer! :)

I lvoe love my Kitchen Aid Mixer...Amazon had them on sale one Christmas (well, two colors on sale, I did not care about the color and I got a Cobalt Blue one for under $100!!) It was on 'sale' at Kohl's for $199..even with the 30% off coupon still more expensive..but SHOP around!! You can find deals right now to stretch that fun money!!! :) You just reminded me I have a 30% off coupon that expires soon and some Kohl's cash..off to buy some bras! That is my splurging! :)

I love Merrell Mule shoes...wear them to pieces literally...but they're never under $60 so if I see them on Amazon or somewhere for less, I'd buy them in a heart beat...enjoy your fun money!

I also have the attachment for my mixer for grinding grain, it's GREAT for the amount of grain I grind for fresh bread...I think it cost more than the mixer! Harder to find deals on attachments :)

I vote for the Keurig. I've used mine every day since we got it.

But... take your time, because the biggest part of the fun of having some extra money to spend on yourself is trying to decide what to get! :001_smile:

BTW, here is a 30% off code for Kohls: LUV2SHOP30

It's good until January 22.

Loving all the responses! :)

Yes, I had also thought of a Kindle or Nook as well. I like to read in the bed at night while hubby goes on to sleep, so that might be a good idea as well.

Hmmmm... so much to think about. :)

If you're already getting an iPad, you can use it as a reader by downloading the free Kindle app. It works great for me, so it might be worth trying before you invest your money in a Kindle.

I'm probably one of the few people on Earth who bought a stand mixer and ended up using it more for decoration than cooking. Everyone said I would just love it and, truth be told, I'm very eh about it. I do appreciate not doing meatloaf by hand, especially since that is the only time I have to take off my wedding ring. That's about it... :tongue_smilie:

I had the same "dilemma" back for my birthday in April, paired with a pity party I threw for myself when I realized that I couldn't remember the last time DH was with me on my birthday (still can't, actually). I splurged and bought myself the super-duper fabulous Breville One-Touch Tea Maker. :001_wub:Now, that is an appliance I have grown to love. Love, love, love it!

So, if we're supposed to vote for something frivolous and fun, I'd pick the Keurig from your list.

What would it be???

First, huge congrats to you guys!!!:D Bonuses are always fun when you don't have them spent already. :lol: We learned all about that earlier last year.

Anyways, since your husband is already getting an iPad I'd go for the kitchen aid mixer... a high end one in your favorite color. I have the Artisan one and I LOVE it. Have fun shopping for whatever you decide.:001_smile:

Well I'd like a water filter because that's the last pieces of kitchen infrastructure I've been hankering for and the BBC Shakespeare for Kids dvd box set. Anyone seen them? Are they good or frightful?

Negin! What kind of tunic costs that much? Silk from worms fed on gold dust sprinkled mulberry leaves? :blink: I need a picture of such fineness!

Rosie

Assuming you drink coffee, and have tried someone else's Keurig and liked it, I would go for that. But, I wouldn't do it unless I knew I liked a Keurig.

If I liked coffee I could really imagine myself loving a Keurig. I like the idea that it is something you could really enjoy every day of your life.

A few months ago I got a bit of a windfall and got an MP3 player, and I love it. I feel so happy and spoiled every time I use it!

the BBC Shakespeare for Kids dvd box set.

Rosie, are you talking about this set?

Negin! What kind of tunic costs that much? Silk from worms fed on gold dust sprinkled mulberry leaves? :blink: I need a picture of such fineness!

Rosie

She's really into colour and flattering styles. I LOVE colour. I'm tired of black, brown, etc.

tory-burch-mini-dress.jpg

That's not her best design. There are lots and lots more.

This one is ONLY $395 ...

1244451_fpx.tif?wid=173&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

Edited by Negin in Grenada

I second hanging on to it until you're sure. I had a few hundred dollars in the bank for a year. (holiday & birthday $) I added $20 here and there as I had extra, but wasn't sure what to do with it. I tossed around the idea of a serger or a camera. Then, with all the holiday sales this year, it occured to me that i had enough for a laptop. I kinda needed one for school, anyway. I love it. But it did take awhile to figure out that's what I wanted.

I'm probably one of the few people on Earth who bought a stand mixer and ended up using it more for decoration than cooking. Everyone said I would just love it and, truth be told, I'm very eh about it. I do appreciate not doing meatloaf by hand, especially since that is the only time I have to take off my wedding ring. That's about it... :tongue_smilie:

I had the same "dilemma" back for my birthday in April, paired with a pity party I threw for myself when I realized that I couldn't remember the last time DH was with me on my birthday (still can't, actually). I splurged and bought myself the super-duper fabulous Breville One-Touch Tea Maker. :001_wub:Now, that is an appliance I have grown to love. Love, love, love it!

So, if we're supposed to vote for something frivolous and fun, I'd pick the Keurig from your list.

I've never met anyone who actually OWNED the Breville tea maker. You are my HERO!

If I had $300 to blow, I'd use it to put a down payment on this :D

7a8d4808.jpg

Loving all the responses! :)

Yes, I had also thought of a Kindle or Nook as well. I like to read in the bed at night while hubby goes on to sleep, so that might be a good idea as well.

Hmmmm... so much to think about. :)

I have a Kindle at the top of my wishlist. I've tried reading on the iphone and (besides being small) the backlighting is a problem for me. I've heard that the Kindle is much gentler on the eyes.

Rosie, are you talking about this set?

We have two of the disks with Midsummer night's dream, Richard III, Taming of the Shrew and Macbeth. Dd7's verdict is that she likes the comedies but that Macbeth is scary and has too much blood. And she says ""I don't think so" for little kids.

You can get a good feel for them on youtube.

We have two of the disks with Midsummer night's dream, Richard III, Taming of the Shrew and Macbeth. Dd7's verdict is that she likes the comedies but that Macbeth is scary and has too much blood. And she says ""I don't think so" for little kids.

You can get a good feel for them on youtube.

Good to know, thanks :) Dd is "tough" but my boy is the sensitive sort. We could stick to the comedies. I shall have to check youtube...

Rosie