Menu

Would you prefer a one or two story home?

I like an upstairsnfornthe bedrooms. It's just nice to go there to escape all of the activity of the house. It's also better for sleep when someone is sick.

I now enforce a "nobody upstairs" rule. That is our private space we don't share. I have done this since visitors found it necessary to go through MY drawers in my room. Not cool.:glare:

This is the first two-story house I've lived in, although I did live in a two-story townhouse in college.

I prefer one-story. Now that ds is older, I'd like to have a split plan, with the master bedroom separated from the other bedrooms, and hopefully the other bedrooms farther from the living area.

Wendi

I like two stories. The blue prints for our log home are two stories (3 with basement) with a very open layout. Master bedroom and laundry on main level (preparing for old age ;), with kid, guest, and open loft (homeschool room) upstairs. When considering building costs, for us, the lesser sq foundation was important. We get 3 times the square footage. If you are not building your own, however, extra stories can be labor cost prohibitive. Also, with the open floor plan heating and cooling is more economical.

Two story! It's my exercise program!

Seriously, when older dd was a toddler we were temporarily in one story, and I felt like I absolutely bloated. I was so glad to get back to a 2 story.

We've almost always had a landing, which makes it easier for anyone who struggles with stairs.

Plus it takes up less room on the lot. For some reason spreading a house over a lot of land bugs me. No clue why that is.

I'd like an airy open layout ranch.

This. I actually own a home that is 2-story. Over 3K sqaure feet with an attached garage. Brand new, built in '10. All bedrooms & laundry are upstairs. That being said, I think part of this decision rests with your family. Before we bought this house, we had put in an offer on a house a liitle bigger, approximately 3300 square feet, with master suite & laundry downstairs. We realized fairly quickly that because our children are small, and we planned to have more, that being downstairs with them upstairs would not work.

I would much prefer a ranch style, and not have the stairs. :tongue_smilie: Hindsight is 20/20 right?

Perferably one story, 'cuz the steps just get hard after awhile.

However, two stories is fine. I like all the bedrooms upstairs (a bathroom downstairs is a must, though), and I like the laundry room downstairs; I don't want to go up and down and up and down to swap clothes from the washer to the dryer for multiple loads, KWIM?

One story is essential for us; we have a child in a wheelchair and we want it to be possible for her to be in any room of the house. Life is definitely easier with 1 story, even if there isn't a wheelchair to consider. However, because single story homes have a larger foundation they cost more per square foot. A young family can get more house for their money with 2 stories.

One, or split level-- I like to feel that my house is small and I can keep tabs on all of it... when I was little I was terribly afraid of intruders... nowadays I do not have an irrational fear, but I still like a house that is small enough that there are not a lot of dark, distant corners that someone could hide in and I wouldn't be aware of them.

2, because it is easier to be hospitable when you have a really clear 'public area and private area' definition.

OTOH, stairs get difficult when you're elderly, so there has to be full function on the ground floor later in life. That means, essentially, that there needs to be a full bathroom with a tub as well as a good-sized bedroom on the ground floor.

I've never lived in a one story but I'm pretty sure I'll always prefer a two story. Going up and down stairs dozens of times a day ends up giving me quite a workout! :D I really wish I had a separate programmable thermostat for each floor, though. When ds was 1 and I was pregnant with dd, our home only had one bathroom and it was upstairs. It was a huge pain to have to deal with baby gates while pregnant. Now we have 1.5 baths, and that .5 makes all the difference because it is on the lower floor.

2, because it is easier to be hospitable when you have a really clear 'public area and private area' definition.

OTOH, stairs get difficult when you're elderly, so there has to be full function on the ground floor later in life. That means, essentially, that there needs to be a full bathroom with a tub as well as a good-sized bedroom on the ground floor.

ITA with both.

This two-story house has a full bathroom downstairs and a room that we can use as a bedroom (right now it's the office) when we're old and decrepit. :) It was on our list of must-haves for a two-story house (we had no preference for 1 or 2 story). Many of the 1-story houses we saw did have clear public and private areas, BTW.

although, living here in a region without basements, I can see the positives of a basement (NOT with the laundry) or a bonus room upstairs for projects or hobbies, etc.

There are so many things you cannot plan for in life.

My brother was diagnosed with lupus at 25 and had times when he could barely walk. After chemotherapy and steroid treatment, his hips deteriorated and he wound up having both hips replaced.

My dd had surgery for scoliosis and recuperated at home for 6+ weeks (after a 4-day hospital stay). Stairs would have been so challenging.

My aunt had cancer and could not manage the stairs to get to the bathroom. They had to set up a portable toilet in the living room.

When my mother was ill, she was in a wheelchair. It wasn't easy, but she still had access to the whole house (ranch style).

With little ones, you don't have to worry about falling down the stairs.

I used to want a certain two-story house, but it didn't work out. Now, I'm glad.

Dh and I both grew up in one story homes and recently moved into our first "real" home, which is two story. I greatly prefer the two story because there is a much more clearly defined separation of space. We had visitors over the other day with many, many young children running around. We were able to make the upstairs off limits so there were no unattended children safety concerns. The kids played in the family room, the adults could visit and keep and eye on them and my VERY particular dd didn't have to worry about small boys messing with her personal stuff.

The downside of a two story home. We moved in in October and I was six months pregnant. I'm now almost the size of a house myself an negotiating the stairs has become a chore. I've got a pretty sweet waddle going on and just have to make sure that I take my time. Once the baby is born I'm sure it won't be an issue, but for now, waddle, waddle, waddle!

I prefer a one story house.

In my early 20's I lived in a two story townhouse. I got in a head-on crash and broke my foot. I ended up with a bone infection and almost lost my foot. Going up and down stairs with a broken foot / bone infection for six months wasn't fun.

One story is essential for us; we have a child in a wheelchair and we want it to be possible for her to be in any room of the house. Life is definitely easier with 1 story, even if there isn't a wheelchair to consider. However, because single story homes have a larger foundation they cost more per square foot. A young family can get more house for their money with 2 stories.

:iagree: We bought the house when our son was a year old. We had no idea he'd be in a wheelchair by age 10. I WISH we had a single story, but we're trapped for a while. We're adding a stairlift soon, but a single story would be so much easier. They're also easier to keep clean.

I would like a two-story house. That's what we're looking for. I like the idea that the bedrooms are upstairs. We looked at one house with an upstairs laundry room. I also like that it has a smaller footprint on the lot. A two-story house will have more yard than a one-story house on the same size lot.

I definitely prefer two story homes with the bedrooms on the second floor. I like the separation of "public spaces" and "private spaces". I also like how much extra square footage that you can get if you build up. Our house is large, and I can't imagine how big the footprint would be if it was spread out on one level.

We lived in one bedroom homes when we lived in Florida. I hated it.

Ideally, I would like 3 stories- bedrooms in the basement, main living area in the middle, with playroom/loft areas on the top. We lived in a house with the bedrooms in the basement for about 3 yrs and I loved how we never had to worry about going to bed during tornado/storm warnings. It was also so peaceful, dark, and quiet at night and even during naps. It wasn't a walkout basement but all of the rooms had several windows. We have a 3 story now with all of the bedrooms upstairs and I appreciate the basement during storms but dislike that we have to stay up worrying about the storms or bring blankets and sleeping bags down there. I'd like to have a big open playroom or game room on a floor separate from the main living area to keep the noise and mess away from the grown up areas.

We spend a lot of time at a cabin that is larger than our home. The cabin is one story, our home is 2 story. The cabin feels smaller than our house because you see all of it at one time, except the bedrooms. I do find that I keep the cabin cleaner because it is easier to put things in a bedroom that is right there.

I fell more at home in a two story house, because I don't feel like I have to be cleaning all the time. The upstairs can be a bit cluttered and it is fine, even if we have company because they aren't going to see inside the rooms.

I feel like I have to keep a one story house clean all the time because people may see inside my bedrooms if a door is left open.

We have the ideal for us right now. We have a 1 1/2 story with a daylight basement. That gives us a master bedroom with full bath, small living room, 1/2 bath, laundry room and open kitchen/dining/hearth room all on the main floor. Then in the upstairs we have a full bath, 2 bedrooms and a loft room which is a toy room. The basement houses 2 more bedrooms, my dh's office, a storage area, a family room and is plumbed for a full bath and 2nd laundry.

Since our kids are older, it is great as the girls have the upstairs, our son has the huge basement bedroom, and dh and I are on the main floor. If mobility becomes an issue (like the posiblity of me having ankle surgery and 4 months on crutches) we still have the kitchen, main living area, laundry, bedroom, and a full bath on the main floor.

It has also been great for my mother in a power wheelchair as we put up portable ramps and she can get into the main living area of the house and bathroom. We would even have room to make a bedroom on the main floor for her if it even came to that.

As to footprint on the lot, we have just over 5 acres so it really isn't a concern for us.

Two story, it's easier for me to keep one floor clean ....it's nice to know we can have an upstairs that can get messy but still have a home to welcome people in unashamed! HA!

Another reason is with teens, it's nice for them to have their 'part of the house' when they want to be loud... :)

I really like our 2 story but I do NOT like that our bedroom is on the main level and the boys' rooms are upstairs. It's easy to not see them for long periods of time during the day and/or evening. They get to doing something in their rooms and they are simply in another house. I don't have reason to often go up there. It really is like living in two houses sometimes.

Would you prefer a one or two story home?

Why?

It depends on the age of the kids and where the bedrooms are. If the kids are old enough that I only have to venture upstairs once a week or so, then great! Otherwise I prefer a one story.

I just have to add that with small kids, smaller houses are soooo much easier.