Menu

would you move to colder state if job there?

Would you even allow your own personal preferences about temperature and landscape factor in a decision to move to another state? We live in PA, and love the mountains you see everywhere. I cringe to think of moving anywhere colder than it gets here, but DH's dream job has come up in Wisconsin, sigh, and he's had a favorable interview there. It's a good job, and in this economy it seems foolish not to jump at it, but I'm unenthusiastic. Should I just suck it up, or does this have any merit?

Would you even allow your own personal preferences about temperature and landscape factor in a decision to move to another state? We live in PA, and love the mountains you see everywhere. I cringe to think of moving anywhere colder than it gets here, but DH's dream job has come up in Wisconsin, sigh, and he's had a favorable interview there. It's a good job, and in this economy it seems foolish not to jump at it, but I'm unenthusiastic. Should I just suck it up, or does this have any merit?

I'd be unenthusiastic, but go.

One of the places we applied is in maryland. I'd HATE the snow. But I'd love the opportunity for my husband. And I'd know it was temporary.

I would move to Wisconsin for DH's job even though I have a hard time with winter in NC. I dislike the cold, but I would do it.

I would not move to the desert for all the tea in China. My worst nightmare is that DH decide we need to move to Phoenix, where he grew up. My MIL loves it, and I understand why. But no way. No. Way.

I would move to Wisconsin for DH's job even though I have a hard time with winter in NC. I dislike the cold, but I would do it.

:iagree:

I've even agreed to move to IA (dh's home) if required, but I would *hate* the cold.

NC is too cold for me - I am *freezing* right now and wish I was in FL.

We moved from WV to NY for dh's job/DMA, and I hate it here. Not because of the cold, but because of the complete and total lack of sun- and not just in the winter. Living on a large body of water means overcast skies pretty much year round. I wouldn't hesitate to move to a colder state if it meant I could have just a few more days of precious sunshine each year.

It'd have to be a pretty good job. But then, I live in Montana so colder would be *really* cold:lol:

I'm with the PPs who said they wouldn't want to live someplace really hot...especially if it's really humid too. We live in CO for a while and it definitely hotter there and that was fine. And I've spent a fair amount of time in Albequerque in the summer and I can live with the heat there (if I have A/C!) since it's dry. But NO WAY would I want to live in FL or down south or anyplace hot & humid. Yuck.

I would move to the cold, but I would hate to move somewhere hot and dry with few trees. The dry part would drive me crazy. If I was desperate, off we would go, otherwise...no. I wouldn't mind moving to Alaska or the general north, but I am a very pale person who is not into a whole ton of sunshine.

In this economy, you follow the job. We did. Georgia to Washington state. Love it so far... But there is certainly a learning curve. I don't know where in PA you are, but I grew up outside of Pittsburgh, and it could get pretty cold there, too. So, it probably wouldn't be such a shock to your system!

I would move for the job.

We moved for DH's job overseas, to a country speaking a different language, thousands of miles away from friends and family.

I would go colder, but not hotter. I can't stand the heat! Wisconsin is awesome - I would move there in a heartbeat. The people are so nice there, too! My husband would move somewhere colder but not leave the house much when it's really cold. He hates being cold. I don't think he would enjoy hot and muggy, but he may be ok with hot and dry.

We moved from Texas to Michigan because of a job. Talk about a change! But 7 years later we actually like it here... enough to stay. We're not that much fonder of snow (in fact we still hate it). However, 100+ degree summer days are worse than the snow! The only downside to living here is having absolutely no friends or family.

Our only requirements for moving to a new state is that they have homeschool and gun friendly laws. We made a list of states that we made up that lists all 50 states in order of which had the most personal freedoms to those that are most restrictive. We won't move to a state that is too restricting no matter how good the job is. :001_smile:

My first instinct is to say "No way!" I live in PA now and I already hate how cold it is here in the winters, and every winter I go on a rant about how I want to move to Florida lol.

But in truth it depends. If we really did struggle financially currently, and the move would make a big difference in our financial quality of life, then, of course, I would have to go along with it.

Nothing is forever if you don't want it to be. IOW your dh may be able to use this position to shine up his resume and if you really absolutely hate it, you can put in a plea for moving in a few years.

We are living in an area that is too hot for me but it's where the position is.

We did for over 5 years. Cold, away from all family and friends, lots of corn all around for miles and miles and miles. However, we met great friends and "bloomed where we were planted" as my mom always advises. When we lived in the Midwest, we camped in WI many times. It is gorgeous in so many places there. I would not hesitate to go there and make the best of it. I've lived all over and learned that your attitude will make or break it for you. (That said, I love living back in the South and there is a lot to be said for living where you want to be forever.)

My first reaction is NO WAY. I have lived long enough without seasons in a constant state of physical comfort to handle any fluctuations in weather, but I guess I would, if I needed to put food on the table. I also wonder if it's possible to recover the sense of seasons after CA (this coming from a girl who can't live without skiing). So yes, I would go anywhere if it's better for the family.

Oshkosh would be wonderful. I grew up near Milwaukee and honestly it doesn't get that cold unless you're really far north. 5-10 degrees colder is nothing really. I don't even think I'd notice that. I'm now a weather wuss because of living near the coast/mid-atlantic for so long. It was 46 for a high here today and it felt flippin cold, but I always think to myself, "Kel this would be a warm balmy day in Nov back in WI"

WI is also very beautiful, there are lots of lakes, Door County (which I hear is just gorgeous in the fall, but I never got to go) the Kettle Moraine area is nice too. Last time we were back we took the kids to The Cave of the Mounds and it was an awesome field trip.

DH and I plan to move back to WI when he retires from the military. As for homeschool laws it's one of the easier ones to comply with.

OH, H3LL NO!

We get -40°C regularly during the deepest part of winter. This is as far north as I go. And, when I say *this* is as far north as I go, I mean that the next town 10 miles north of us is OUT OF THE QUESTION. I've drawn my line in the sand. If dh ever gets an itch to go further north, I'll pack him some extra longjohns and then he's on his own.

I'd consider temp and landscape in a decision, but would definitely put them aside for a dream job for dh. I'd be more concerned about heat, though;).

As for Wisconsin, I'd just console myself with cheese and thank God it wasn't ______ (insert place you'd be more upset by). :D

Hey! Alaska is awesome!!! (It seems people either love it or hate it.) And we haven't been hit as hard economically as the lower 48 has.

Alaska is awesomely beautiful. Winter though would drive me I.N.S.A.N.E. :tongue_smilie: Give it some heat and some daylight (not all day and all night) and I would be a great consideration.:)

I think the quality of cold and the acknowledgement of cold are important factors. Mid-Atlantic cold is damp. I can't speak to WI, but my dad complains about our cold when he comes down from Maine in the late fall/winter.

And the houses here seem to have been built with the knowledge that summer is hot, but they seem to have missed the memo that it gets cold, too. At least over here on the shore, think single pane windows, no storm doors and a fireplace(!!!) asthe only heat source, over a huge span of building years (mostly through the latter third of the 20th century - I'm sure new construction has proper heat). That can make the cold very difficult. I don't recall that being an issue growing up in Maine. (not to mention, the snowier states know how to move the white stuff, while the Delmarva region at least seems to come to a shocked halt at the first sighting of a flake)

So, yeah, we'd move to a different climate. But I'd get a feel for the place before deciding where to settle for the long haul.

(signed, the Caulk Queen)