Menu

How long have you been home-educating?

I am giving away my age, but I have been home-educating since 1996.:glare:

15 Years - Yes, I was there for the first edition of WTM and the first forum.

I have graduated one dd, with a GED by the way. She is in nursing school after taking a few years to work. She has a 3.8 GPA.

I afterschool for the first few years of their academic studies. I believe that the girls benefit and value homeschooling from their experience as well as develop social skills that I would be hard pressed to develop myself. This includes the "class clown" and the "yelling girl" or even the "bully."

Consider your afterschooling when counting your years too! Regardless if the public school is the "spine" for their education, you are home educating.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 :)

My oldest is graduated and getting married next month, my youngest is just finishing kindergarten.

Somedays I can't believe I'm still at this. I didn't really think of homeschooling as something that I'd be doing for.ev.er when I first started. Of course, I didn't think that I'd have 5 kids back then either :lol:

Well...my eldest is 18.

But, I suppose 'officially home educating' would be 4 yrs now. We pulled Diva out of gr 3.

Although, I think it should be a tally. Add up all the kids ages, and go by that, cause MAN, are they demanding, exhausting and different. :D

Nineteen years and counting. But my babies are almost 17 now, and they don't need me much. They're getting ready for ACTs and such, I really don't teach anymore. Oldest out of college and married and almost 18 yr old finishing her sophmore year of college.

DS1 4.5 years

DS2 (his autistic twin) 1 year

DD1 3.5 years

DD2 5.5 years

some kids overlapped - only ONE year did I have all four at once - 2 years I had two at once - rest of time one kid only. Who stayed home year by year depended on 1. the kid and their needs, 2. what the local school offered. I have done 1st through 8th grade between one kid or the other. I think 7 years or so in a row?

No one is home, now, but you folks are too interesting to leave!!!!

I just finished our 10th year homeschooling. I started homeschooling Pre-K and I definitely count it because I used a curriculum and we sat down and did school at the kitchen table. I had high expectations back then, but it was a fun year, and I still have fond memories of that year and love looking back at the portfolio. Well, I like looking back at all of our portfolio's. :)

Um, 9 years, since that's how old my oldest is. But she's only just finished third grade, so 4 years (based on how many it would have been if she was in public school), yet only finishing up our first year of official (ie report to the state/school district) homeschooling. :)

20 years, 3 more to go. I have graduated 3 so far. My oldest is graduating from medical school this month. Two are in college, and my youngest 2 are finishing up 10th and 9th grades. It's been an awesome journey and a real blessing.

K4 to the far curve of 3rd grade, using WTM and this nice board for help the whole time. If my health holds, I think we might get all the way through. Not that I'm sick, but when your friends start having heart attacks and dying of cancer, you have to at least think of plan B.

Eleven years.

Hard to believe - we made the *for sure* decision to not send dd back to private school for 1st grade in about 40 minutes one day, at the very last minute. :) We'd discussed homeschooling, but I never really expected we'd actually follow through with our crazy talk!

I thought it was 7, but it's 8 years! Time sure flies.

Ds18 homeschooled (w part-time private school attentance) from 5th-8th, is now graduating public high school, working two jobs, and trying to decide if he should take a summer off before he joins the Coast Guard.

Dd10 and ds8 homeschooled before entering public school in 1st grade and K respectively. They've afterschooled for 4 years with public school primarily supplemental to our work at home. Dd is eligible for our district's gifted program and we hope she's drawn for a full-time spot next year. Ds is currently being tested for the program.

Gosh, I'm proud. Thanks for the chance to toot my own horn!

Officially, we're finishing our 9th year. Unofficially... December 2000 I found TWTM 1st edition at Barnes and Noble. In January 2001 I started homeschooling my oldest using it's recommendations for 4 yos. A few months later I discovered the WTM forums. The rest is history, as they say. :D

I've been at this for 12 years and I also was a part of the old WTM boards! Of course then I only went on the curriculum site - NEVER visited the general board. :001_smile: I missed out on a LOT!;):D

My boys started school 5 years ago. Oldest went to high school with dual enrollment in the 11th grade and is in college. My younger son is in 10th and will also graduate form high school.

No matter how overwhelmed I get, school outside the home will NOT happen with my girls. There are other options than school away from home. By the time my youngest graduates I will be 58 and will have homeschooled for 22 years.

I am giving away my age, but I have been home-educating since 1996.

I've also been home-educating since 1996 when my oldest was in first grade. He graduated from our home school with a 4.0 high school GPA. He is now a senior in college, with a 3.6296 GPA.