Menu

How long have you been home-educating?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finishing our 20th year of homeschooling.

2 grad's- one a Jr in College, who has traveled the globe working with kids and missionaries.

One in Cosmetology school having traveled the country campaigning.

rising 11th, 6th and 3rd graders to go.

Been on TWTM boards for.for.ever.

11 :D My dd is graduating this year---no CC, no co-ops, dual enrollment etc---just Mom as teacher. DS is a freshman this year----but if we weren't moving, I would actually consider quitting homeschooling :001_huh: We are the ONLY family I know of that homeschools with teenagers, we have no friends here because of it and my kids have no real friends because the small town we live in is RUN by the ONE public school and the sports obsession here!!! It's gotten too tough to be an island amongst ourselves, so I think I would crack mentally if I had to endure 3 more years of this horrendous isolation and lonlieness---even though I LOVE homeschooling my children and believe in it 100%

I am ending my fifth year homeschooling but if you are going to include afterschooling than it is six years. My oldest went to half day Kinder and I was worried she'd be behind when we moved to the next state. It was known to be advance while the current state was known to be relaxed in education. Then two months into first we just pulled oldest out and offically began homeschooling because we are military and move every few years and we tend to travel during school year and never on the traditional days off of a school rather it be private, public or DoD (Department of Defense).

Began kindergarten with my oldest in 1995. I've graduated 2 (1 is a junior majoring in Petroleum Engineering and the other is beginning college in the fall). I have 2 more to go - a sophomore and a junior (as of fall 2011). The End is NEAR!

That puts me at 16 years. I had the first edition of WTM, was on the old forum, and purchased my Singapore math products directly from Singapore.

I did pre-K stuff with ds(now almost 20) and another little girl for a year. Oldest went to K and 1st at a Christian school, and I subbed and helped in the classroom. But I count my start date in July of 1998, as that's when I "officially" brought him home and got homeschool stuff. So, we're finishing up our 13th year! Oldest is now in college and doing well! DS (now 17) homeschooled all the way through 9th grade, then went to a Christian School for 10th and this year, his 11th grade. Next year he may be home again and do CC, we'll see. DD is in 9th and has always homeschooled. She'll be home at LEAST for next year. It's possible she may go to a Christian "Music school" her Junior and Senior year. If that happens, I only have 1 more year of homeschooling! :blink: :crying:

We're finishing up our 4th official year, and every year has been so different from previous years! I am looking forward to next year which is going to stretch and bend some more to make a whole new sort of homeschool "sculpture." Techniques used will be additive, subtractive, and, as with origami, neither.

Sorry. I don't know where all that came from.

Well, I guess I always "afterschooled" as I did a huge range of educational things with my oldest from the time he was a little guy. If I counted that time, it would add an additional 5 years to my homeschooling journey!

The thing is, I had never even heard of "homeschooling" until I moved here, so I didn't know what it was at all. My mil even said one time that she thought I should open a "school" and teach my son and a small group of other kids at home because she thought I was so good at it (high praise from someone who never complimented me on any other thing). I told her that I didn't think it would be legal to do that....

I actually started "homeschooling", officially, in the fall of 1999, so that's been 12 years. Adding in the other would make it 17 years! Wow! That does make me feel old, LOL!

We started homschooling in 1982, when older dd was in first grade (just before her 7th bday). We hsed until younger dd began taking classes at the community college when she was 14, following in her sister's footsteps. I always miscount how many years that is, lol.

In 1988, I started an umbrella school (technically known--now--as a Private School Satellite Program) in California, when dds were 10 and 13yo; I continued it until I moved to Texas in 2004--16 years. So although I wasn't homeschooling from 1982 to 2004, I was still closely involved with homeschoolers all that time.

I will always be a homeschooler.:thumbup:

My son is 28 years old and I pulled him out in 6th grade (1995) so 16 years. I have graduated 4 of them. The oldest three moved right into their adult lives rather quickly, the fourth child is in college, the fifth in PS and the youngest is back at home. The oldest two did one year of PS high school , the next one year of PS middle school, the next none at all, the fifth went off to PS in middle school and never came back, the youngest did one year and came back home.

A little over two years officially. I pulled my daughter out of public school in March of her third grade year, homeschooled her for the rest of that year, all of fourth, and now we're nearly done with 5th.

My 5 y/o son has been home with me right from the beginning and has never gone to preschool etc, but we're not doing formal "school" with him yet.

This is our 11th year. I started in 2000 when oldest was 4yo and have been at it ever since. None of the younger kids have ever been to school (except pre-school one or two mornings a week). The oldest went into state school a year and a half ago.

Even after 11 years, I still feel like I'm fumbling through, not with the grammar years (the youngers are certainly benefiting from my experience with the olders), but without question as I try to figure out 8th grade and high school for the 13yo.

I don't think I could have done it without the advice and support on this board, though. So a great big :grouphug: and 'thank you' to everyone here.

• 1 month later...

We've been homeschooling going on 8yrs. now. 12 years ago my mother in law started trying to persuade me to homeschool, but I thought she was crazy. There was no way I would ever homeschool. I never even knew it existed until I met my husband. Anyways, it was obvious that God's plans were not my own & after 8 years I feel this is the best thing I could of possibly done. All five of my kiddo's are blessings & I thank God everyday for the opportunity to homeschool! :)

I'm not yet! I decided to homeschool our children before my oldest turned a year old, and I'm just getting myself and my educational philosophy figured out right now. We'll be starting our first year in 2013, assuming my daughter is ready by then.

In 1996, I was in 6th grade...:001_smile:

I started in January 2002 when I pulled my son out of public school Kindergarten halfway through the year. So we've been homeschooling for 10 years.

My dd19 started homeschooling at age 17 and I don't consider her totally graduated simply because of the path she has chosen. If she just said she was done with school, I think she's done enough credits to be considered a graduate. She's only short 1 foreign language which colleges prefer. However, she has decided to stick with our online high school and has 3 more elective classes in order to earn their diploma. I feel like a failure that I didn't push harder but after being in traditional brick and mortar schools for 12 years, she fought schoolwork tooth and nail! And now she has no motivation to finish by an arbitrary (to her) deadline. She said it shouldn't matter if she is 19, 20, or 21 when she graduates. She is about to become the general manager of a small restaurant.