Menu

How long have you been home-educating?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fifteen years - starting year 16 in September.

My oldest is 20 and just finished her sophomore year of college and my next is 18 and is taking a semester, maybe a full year off before starting college. I still have two I am schooling and have no plans to stop.

So....maybe in several years I will be posting about how I just completed my 22nd year - wow, that would be a lot!

Fall, 2000. My oldest (accelerated kid) was going on four. She starting high school this fall (still at home!).

I read the first TWTM -- it was the very first homeschooling book I bought, and it set the stage for everything that followed. I was on the old forums by winter 2000/2001.

Good times!

Getting old!

I am giving away my age, but I have been home-educating since 1996.:glare:

15 Years - Yes, I was there for the first edition of WTM and the first forum.

I came along not too far after that. ;)

We've been homeschooling since Ana was five! We just completed our tenth year.

Ana - 10 years

CJ - 7 years

Liz - 4 years

Rebecca - 3 years

Tim - 1 year

Abigail - 1 year

Sarah - 1 year (She's been learning to read early.)

For a total of 27 years experience - can I add it up like that? :D

I just finished our 10th year homeschooling. I started homeschooling Pre-K and I definitely count it because I used a curriculum and we sat down and did school at the kitchen table. I had high expectations back then, but it was a fun year, and I still have fond memories of that year and love looking back at the portfolio. Well, I like looking back at all of our portfolio's. :)

This describes us too. Started hitting the books at age 4. So 10 years. Wow!! Are there service pins for 5, 10, 15 years etc.? What a wild ride.:D

10 years...wow! Our oldest was 5 but I had been actively pre-schooling him with letters, numbers, colors, etc. I'm sad that our oldest will probably going to private high school this fall. :( It won't be happening with my 13 year old when the time comes though. I guess it's best for the 15 year old though.

17 years this fall. I started pre-school when my oldest was 4 and he'll be 21 in August. It's all my kids have ever done. My youngest is now 10, so I have a few more years to go. I truly do love it. One of the best decisions I've ever made, although it was a huge leap of faith in 1993, when everyone looked at me like I was from Mars. So many people had never even heard of homeschooling then.

12 years :D

Pulled the oldest out after kindergarten and now she's going to college this year :)

All of the other kids have never gone to public school.

And we are just doing pre-school with the youngest (twins) so we have 13 years left! (not counting this year) :D

I'm starting my 14th year...didn't begin until my oldest was in 5th grade. DD(23) graduated hs, university and is one thesis away from her master's. DS(20) graduated hs and begins the professional portion of pharmacy school this fall. DS(10) is entering the 5th grade. I have a long way to go yet!

I am giving away my age, but I have been home-educating since 1996.:glare:

Same here. I have graduated one (currently a college senior with a 3.5 GPA), and I have a rising 11th grader. I also teach a family friend who is a rising 7th grader. And I plan to continue homeschooling even after my dd graduates. My plan/dream is to teach middle school girls. I want to teach a small group (maybe 4) girls from 6th-8th, then start over with another small group, etc.

Eight years here, with the younger children folded in as we go. My oldest is just about to graduate. I feel like we have done every style of homeschooling possible in those 8 years; WTM, Charlotte Mason, umbrella school, charter school, co-op school, school-in-a-box, unschooling (after babies.) You name it; we have tried it!

It has been a long, hard, wonderful, excruciating, amazing, tear & smile filled journey that is still going on. I can't imagine any other way for us.

Amber in SJ