Menu

Totally Random, is it odd in America to not own an eletric can opener?

what kind of can opener do you own?  

1. 1. what kind of can opener do you own?

• manual
    • electric (if you have a manual for back-up still pick this)
    • none
    • other

My friend was over the other day and commenting on how she loves my kitchen as it is so different than other peoples. (My mother and dh are both English) , we have an electric kettle, tea making implements, I think beans on toast is a fine dinner etc... I acknowledge that some of my things might not be main stream America, but she thinks it very odd that I don't have an electric can opener. I just never saw the point of spending money on something that will take up counter space for the 4-5 cans I open in a week. The manual one is so easy and I think takes about the same amount of time.

I am curious, and I am going to try my first poll

Nicole

I've never not had one. Our manual openers are a piece of junk. Well even our electric one is too, but we didn't have money for the nice one when the other one died. We joke that we're going to shoot our current one with the BB gun once we upgrade.

I had one of those under the counter ones for years. It worked great. I think it was over 10 years old when it quit working.

My friend was over the other day and commenting on how she loves my kitchen as it is so different than other peoples. (My mother and dh are both English) , we have an electric kettle, tea making implements, I think beans on toast is a fine dinner etc... I acknowledge that some of my things might not be main stream America, but she thinks it very odd that I don't have an electric can opener. I just never saw the point of spending money on something that will take up counter space for the 4-5 cans I open in a week. The manual one is so easy and I think takes about the same amount of time.

Nicole

My parents always had electric can openers. I'm pretty sure they still do, though they've moved up to the type that actually uncrimp the can so it has no sharp edges.:confused:

I have an Oxo manual opener that I love. Very easy to use. (The Oxo kitchen tools were designed for use by people with arthritis.) I love that I can toss it in the dishwasher if I need to. My parents used to open the cans of dog food and the food we ate with the same opener.:scared:

Mine is an OXO too.

My parents always had electric can openers. I'm pretty sure they still do, though they've moved up to the type that actually uncrimp the can so it has no sharp edges.:confused:

I have an Oxo manual opener that I love. Very easy to use. (The Oxo kitchen tools were designed for use by people with arthritis.) I love that I can toss it in the dishwasher if I need to. My parents used to open the cans of dog food and the food we ate with the same opener.:scared:

I had one as a young adult. It didn't work well. I tossed it. We just use a regular can-opener. It works fine. But now I've been exposed to the Oxo smooth edge can opener. I even found a you tube video showing how it works! I'm definitely buying that asap. Mine is the old fashioned metal kind and it gets dirty. Ewww.

I, too, love my manual Oxo. I gave one to my mother-in-law for her birthday (along with a Microplane grater), and I'm pretty sure it garnered me Favorite Daughter-in-Law status. :)

I always associate electric can openers with inconvenience, thanks to my grandmother. Grandma had a tiny kitchen with almost no counter space. Still, she insisted on using an electric opener (maybe, as others have said, it was an arthritis issue). But instead of keeping it on her counter, she kept it on a table that was nowhere near an outlet. The cookie jar lived on the counter, blocking that outlet it didn't need.

So every time she needed to open a can, which was often, as she used canned catfood, she had to pick up the opener, move the cookie jar, use the can opener, then schlep it back to its place on the table. When I asked about the logic of this, wondering why she didn't swap the opener and the cookie jar, she shrugged and said, "Because that's where it goes."

My most used can opener is a very old one. No turning parts, you force it down on the can and use an up and down wrist motion to cut. Works every time and is easy to clean. You do need to watch out for the sharp jagged edges.

I also have one of the manual openers that cuts through the seal. I rarely use it. I keep it for guests who can't figure out how the other one works.

I grew up with one...but never bought one myself. I don't like kitchen gadgets

:iagree:

Plus, my mom almost burned down the kitchen w/ an electric one, so perhaps I'm wary of that too. :lol: (Opener was plugged in; she ran in & dumped some grocery bags on the counter; left again to run more errands; grocery bags much have shifted/fallen on top of eletric can opener; opener ran and caught the grocery bag(s) on fire; fortunately, dad smelled the smoke & investigated before it spread further. For that reason, I unplug most kitchen appliances -- coffee maker, toaster, etc...-- unless I'm currently using them.)

I have both. The electric one I have put away in a cabinet. I use our manual one regularly. It is actually this bizarre Swiss one that you hook on the can and spin this knob and it breaks the kink in the top of the aluminum and peels the top off. Strange explanation, but its actually awesome. Easy on my wrists and it does not leave any jagged edge tops to get cut on.

Nicole

you know you can get a can opener that is mounted under the cabinet...

the one I have is the first I ever owned in about 10 years. Before that it was manual. But I do open a lot of cans....