Menu

A poll about children and cell phones

Does your child aged 11 or younger have a cell phone  

1. 1. Does your child aged 11 or younger have a cell phone

• Yes my child age 11 or younger has a phone
    • No my child age 11 or younger does not have a phone
    • Other

How many of you have children 11 years old or younger who have their own cell phone?

Edited to add that I was in a hurry when I posted this but I assume you all can get why I am posting this poll. A certain almost 11 year old in my house wants a phone of his own so bad it is all he can think of day and night. Even though he has an Itouch which he can make calls with if he is in Wifi area! I have tried to make him understand that his 32 gig ITouch does MORE than a phone would do because he is NOT getting a smart phone with data plan like he wants.

He claims 'everyone' else has one. While this is far from true (and I hope this poll will prove!) it is a situation not made easier by the fact that both of his step brothers have phones--the younger one is only 9.

Sigh.

Edited by Scarlett

My ds was 10 when he got his. We had an old phone, which he has since upgraded with his own money. We had two reasons for giving him a phone at that age. 1. he played at the neighbors and we could call him home without disturbing the parent that worked off hours and often slept during the day. 2. We had no land line so if he were left alone he needed to be able to be reachable.

cell phone that is given to whatever child is out alone (usually dd) and surrendered back at the end of the outing.

We would do it for this as well. I know some kids last year that walked home and had phones to call their parents at work when they left school and when they got home. I would do it for this also.

Well, my daughter who is currently age 10 does not have her own cell phone. However, when spring rolls around (at which point she will still be 10) we will likely give her a Firefly type cellphone, where we can have parental control over numbers that can call and be called.

We will want to give it to her at that point because by then we will have reached the point where we allow her to leave our street to go "around the block" with her friends either on bike rides or to the playground. We put her off pretty much all last summer and told her that when next spring/summer rolls around, we will probably let her go with her friends (all the other kids on the block have been allowed to go for some time now).

I will want her to be able to get in touch with me quickly and easily at any time (and vice versa), when we reach that point where she'll be playing out of easy sight of me.

Like others have said, she will only have it during those times when she's not with me, not to hold and play with (and potentially lose/break/etc) 24/7.

Dd has one. She has had it since August. We got it for her for a few reasons.

• We no longer have a landline.
  • Last year she was left outside alone at dance which is in a so-so neighborhood. There was no phone call made to me to let me know dance let out early.
  • It was a $10.. and it only costs us $10.00 per month to have her on the plan.

My 10 year old has had a cell phone for a year. She takes horseback riding lessons, and when they go on trail rides, I want her to have a way to contact me in case of emergencies. Now she texts me, her dad, my mom, and her cousin occasionally.

I actually thought about giving DD6 one of those kid-friendly firefly phones just because I leave her at homeschool group for a few hours and she was a bit nervous about that....she's very shy, with selective mutism, and won't talk to anyone.

I decided against it. Now I just write a note and stick it in her pocket that basically says "Please call me if my daughter hands you this note." And I write my phone number on it. This relieves DD of the fear of having to talk to someone if she needs to get a hold of me....she just hands them the note and doesn't have to say a word.

My 11 year old does not have a cell phone. She wants one, though. I consider it from time to time (trail riding at riding lessons, visiting a friend, when we're someplace huge like a theme park in case we get separated) but so far, it works just juggling the two we have. For riding lessons, I had the tchr show my girl how to access and unlock her phone in case of emergency on the trail. For other things, I give her mine or my husband's or mine and keep the other.

Twice my girl has been in emergency situations in which she really needed a cell phone. In one case my mother was badly injured and my girl couldn't call 911 b/c she couldn't figure out how to unlock the keypad. Blessed be God, a couple of boys happened by. One stayed with my girl and mom and one ran home for his mom. I'm so grateful that they came and helped but they could have been the bad guys. The other time she just didnt' have access and didn't want to have to ask the ppl who were bothering her, no wonder. Both of these situations make me cry even as I sit here, a couple of yrs later. So, even though she doesn't have her own, we make sure she has access.

The reason my DS got a phone when he was 9 was that we spent a semester overseas and he had to go to school in an unfamiliar city. I wanted him to have a way to contact me.

Now he is 11 and hardly ever uses it - the only occasion is if he is at the pool and wants to be picked up.

edit: We all just have cheap prepaid phones - so the cost of a plan or a lost phone is not an issue.

My girls (4, 4, and 6) are too young (IMO), but my sister's daughter takes her father's cell phone with her when she walks across the backyards to visit the neighbors' house. She uses it to call home when she gets there, because it's a house that can't be seen from my sister's back door.

My oldest dd got a cell phone (very basic, Virgin Mobile prepaid) for her 11th birthday. However, I should mention that we got the cell phone for her because she is at dance 4-5 nights per week and we wanted a way to get in touch with her and vice versa. She had that phone for a year and a half, until she got a slightly nicer phone (still Virgin Mobile) and upgraded her plan to include texting.

My almost 10 year old does not have a phone, nor does he need one since his main extracurricular is Cub Scouts, for which his dad is the leader!

As soon as dd was old enough to comfortably spend time away from me, I got her a phone. She was 9. We just put her on our plan and got one of the free phones. At this point I think we had limited texts. She's 12 now and is using my old smart phone (which she is oblivious about the "smart" part), but no data except unlimited texts (which was upgraded last year for the whole family). I am considering getting her a refurb android for her 13th birthday because she is always on mine.

If she had an itouch, then I wouldn't even consider a phone upgrade or a phone at all. I might consider letting her sell the itouch to pay for a new phone, but there would be added responsibilities because of the monthly bill. It's my predicament with the android. I think there's baby-sitting in her future.

My dd is turning 12 in May. We've decided not to give her a phone. She is always with me. When she has a play date it's with a good friend of hers and ours. And, I don't know if she would be responsible enough with one. When we're in the car, she uses mine to call her dad, grandpa, etc.

When she is older and away from me a bit more then she'll definately get one. I've been thinking about this issue and don't know when that time will be. She'll get one "not" b/c alot of kids her age/friends have one (because most of her friends don't, I think), but because it is an added security feature.

It's all so individual. I can see needs might be different for people living in the country or deep rural areas. Or, if a family doesn't have a landline and the mom...let's say homeschools, but might have a part time job outside of the home.

This is what we have as well.

It was DH's phone, but work gave him one and so this extra phone we only pay $7.50/mo on and it is used by whomever is needing it.

Dawn

We have an extra cell phone that is given to whatever child is out alone (usually dd) and surrendered back at the end of the outing.

My kids got their first phones for Christmas. DS is 14 and DD will be 13 in February. I finally broke down because they are doing more things away from us (youth group, etc.) and there've been several times when it would have been more convenient if they had one. There's does not have any type of data plan, though.

He claims 'everyone' else has one. While this is far from true (and I hope this poll will prove!) it is a situation not made easier by the fact that both of his step brothers have phones--the younger one is only 9.

Sigh.

When my older kids used to give me the "But mom, Johnny gets to......" I would answer with, "If I was Johnny's mom he wouldn't get to. End of subject."

I really don't hear it from my youngest two.:001_smile:

In our house the phone is viewed as a safety device (no one has a data phone). When the child gets to an age where he/she is attended more things on his/her own then they get a phone. Lessons/rehearsals/practices/clubs/etc. Even though these things have an adult present I like my dc have their own phone.

My son is now 13, but he was just a few months past his 10th birthday when he got his first phone. That was when we got rid of our landline. We were starting to leave him alone for short periods of time, and I wouldn't leave him without a phone. If we hadn't gotten rid of our landline, he wouldn't have had a phone. He'd probably get one at 13 in that case.

LOL When I first read the title I thought it said chickens and cell phones. I thought, that sounds interesting. Then I was clicking on it and realized it said children, not chickens. It sounded more fun when it was chickens :P

I don't believe in giving chickens cell phones. I understand everyone is different, and you have to do what's right for your family. In our family though, chickens do not get cell phones! :smilielol5:

Our DS11 does have his own, but this was for my peace of mind more than anything else. He goes down to the lake at the bottom of our hill quite frequently and I wanted to be able to contact him and wanted him to be able to contact me if anything happened. It's also convenient when he's at his friend's house across the road and I need to remind him it's dinner time :)

My oldest two have cell phones, but my younger two do not.

Mainly this is because the 11 and 8 year olds are never home alone, nor are they ever left alone at any outside activities.

The oldest daughter is at college and a cell phone for her is a "social must", not to mention very valuable for safety / security reasons. My 16 year old is left at home sometimes and we want him to be able to reach us if he needs to, and vice versa.

I answered other. My 11 year does not, but this past Nutcracker season at ballet had her taking mine or her sister's. Some of those rehersals were 4 or more hours, plus they had community shows in neighboring areas. I was not able to attend all of them. They dancers are supposed to stay back stage so the teachers and parent assistants can easily keep track of them, which I very much appreciate. Before the next big performace, I am getting her a cell. I am not sure which, but I need her to have a phone during those events. If she takes mine, and I am out running errands without dh, she cannot reach me. Her sister is very generous with her phone, but I also need that dd to have one with her as well. If she is home, fine, her sister can have her phone, but that is not always going to be an option.

For our family, cell phones are helpful tools and not toys. For me, not having a cell phone for her is no longer an option. I have a very mature 11 year old, and none of my older children have ever lost a phone or ruined one. My 21 year old is only on his second phone (first was at 14).

Edited by LibraryLover

You have to be 13 to have a phone here. But it isn't a right, it is a privelage (I cannot think how to spell that!!!!! :glare: ) to be earned. The phone isn't for "playing." It is for keeping in touch with parents. While texting is absolutely allowed, it is not the primary function of the phone and will be discontinued if you can't handle the responsibility.

My oldest 2 haven't had *any* issues with phone ownership. They have been repsonsible and not let it interfere in all aspects of their lives. I am happy with our decision to let them have them.

My 10 y/o is driving me batty with wanting one. ::sigh:: She is not ready, doesn't need one, isn't repsonsible enough, etc. It just isn't happening. In the meantime, I may end up in a psych ward from her ding - donging me about it. :tongue_smilie:

My ds10 got his first cell phone when he was 4, and we have upgraded/replaced it several times since then.

He doesn't carry it around with him all the time, and he is not at all into the idea of texting, so we don't have a data plan for his phone. He has an iPod Touch, anyway, so he can use that when we're out -- WiFi is everywhere around here -- but he prefers to just play DS games, anyway.

He has had the phone for so long because we spend a lot of time in NYC, and dh and I always worried that we would somehow become separated from him, or that there would be some sort of emergency and he would have to phone a loved one for help. When we go into the city, ds usually wears cargo pants and puts the phone in the side pocket on his leg.

So basically, he has the phone and can take it with him if he wants to, but he never bothers with it unless we're in the city or another crowded place, or on vacation.

Cat

We have an extra cell phone that is given to whatever child is out alone (usually dd) and surrendered back at the end of the outing.

This is what we had, too, when the kids were younger. I also only used it for emergencies- it stayed in the car glove box.

They got phones when they could afford to pay for them, and pay for a plan. Around 12/13- in ds15's case, he got aphone before dd16 because he was soooo desperate...it turned out that his peers werent relaly phone savvy yet, generally speaking, and he didnt use it. It wasnt till he was 14 that he got another phone which he now uses (a lot!). But both have enough part time work to pay for their phone plans.

:iagree: This is us too. My 16 and 13 yos do not have their own phones, and as far as I'm concerned they only need one to call home for a ride when they're out at an event.