Menu

Flu shot

Only me

I know this is a loaded question and many people disagree. I'm hoping to find information without starting an argument. My son has had the flu two years in a row. My dd has had the flu at least 3 times. We don't have the best diet but it's not the worst. We take vitamins but I'm hoping to take more supplements to improve our immune system.

My son goes to public high school and has missed a week of school both years he has had the flu. We haven't gotten flu shots in the past but we are seriously considering getting them this year. I've been concerned about getting them but I really don't have any concrete reasons why. I'm worried about side effects but don't really have any experience or reason why this is a concern. I would appreciate any concrete reasons either for or against the shot. Btw my kids are very active and I would consider them healthy otherwise.

Edit: I'm definitely leaning toward all of us getting one. Do you get one at your doctor's office or do you feel safe getting one at your pharmacy. Our local grocery store offers them in the pharmacy and it would be a lot more convenient for us. Also do you usually get any side effects (sore arm, increased tiredness.). If there are common side effects like these I want to plan to get the shots at a good time (not right before a hockey tournament or baseball game etc)

I can think of no reason to avoid the shot unless ones physician, in consultation with the patient, advises against it.  I have not heard of anyone dying from side effects of this shot.  Somebody else may have. Perhaps my strongest reason to suggest the vaccination is that your family has members who mix regularly among other people.  With regard to your son in high school, each school district probably has its own guidelines for how many absences are "excused".  I wonder if school districts might start to view negatively absences owing to the flu, if the student could have had the shot, but did not.  Just thinking aloud with that one. . .

I advise the shot.  My 4 year old has the flu right now(confirmed at the drs office).  He got the shot but only had it a week ago.  The flu is hitting early in our area.  He was not even the first case.  My oldest and I got the flu about 7 years ago and every year since then we have all taken the flu shot without any adverse side affects.

Eta:  It takes the flu shot 2 weeks to take effect.

I can't think of any good reason to avoid the flu vaccine unless one is allergic to something in it.  No, it doesn't give 100 percent protection.  But it usually offers substantial protection.

The good reasons to get it are, of course, numerous -- The main one being that many people die from the flu every year, and not all of them are very young, very old or have underlying conditions that contribute to their death from influenza.

We all get vaccinated every year.  We have for about ten years now.  What happened that caused that?  We all had the flu one year at the same time.  It was absolutely horrendous.  And youngest DS developed some secondary issues that required a doctor visit.  I vowed while standing in that over-crowded waiting room while holding him (and still so weak myself that I should have been home in bed) that we'd never risk getting ourselves in that situation again.

We get vaccinated every year, the only time we have had any trouble with the vaccine was when we did the flu-mist (inhaled version) which did make us a little sick for a few days.

We have never had the flu.

How sick were you with the flu-mist? I am thinking of getting that for ds and dh (dh doesn't like needles) but I am curious about the side effects.

i am immune compromised.  we get it every single year, and it makes a huge difference.

when dd got the swine flu a few years back, i didn't get it!!! (and she didn't get it as badly as some of her friends.  it was still Very Scary)

so if you can't do it for yourself, maybe you can do it for me and people like me.  the old saying "the life you save may be your own" is true.... but its more likely that the life you save may be someone like me.  the less foothold the flu can gain, the safer we are.

fwiw,

ann

We usually get the flu mist and have had no problems with it.  It's just contradicted for those with asthma or breathing issues.  We didn't get it 2 years ago and ALL of us had the flu over Christmas and it was awful.  It was passed on to us clearly and we accidentally passed it on too.  It's on my calendar to schedule at the end of this month!

Natural remedies to improve your immune system are great... when used in conjunction with modern medicine.  Your kids are prone to the flu. The flu can be very serious in some parties, so in the days before they show symptoms they might be making the elderly, the very young, people with compromised immune systems, or asthmatics sick - not to mention, gearing up to miss a week or more of school!

Obviously, every medicine has side effects associated with it. In the case of the flu shot, the side effects are fairly minor, especially when weighed against the real risks of getting sick.

The girls will get their flu shots at their appointment in two weeks. The only side effects they ever have is an urgent need for a doughnut right after, LOL! I got my flu shot for free at CVS just last week, because I was there picking up a prescription and, unlike the children, I don't need to be prepared with a stuffed animal before I get a shot so I figured I might as well get it sooner rather than later. I suffered no side effects at all.

How sick were you with the flu-mist? I am thinking of getting that for ds and dh (dh doesn't like needles) but I am curious about the side effects.

I think it was about three days of congestion/just feeling kind of icky/maybe a bit of fever. It wasn't really bad, not like having the actual flu or anything, but it was enough of a nuisance to make me opt for the shot the next year. I would still rather do flu-mist than no vaccine at all.

Here is what the CDC has to say about the Flu and flu vaccinations

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/index.htm

You say you have worries and you "don't know why."  This might help you consider where these worries are coming from.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/dear-parents-you-are-being-lied

We are fully immunized and get the flu shot every year. 

I think it was about three days of congestion/just feeling kind of icky/maybe a bit of fever. It wasn't really bad, not like having the actual flu or anything, but it was enough of a nuisance to make me opt for the shot the next year. I would still rather do flu-mist than no vaccine at all.

Yeah...I am not sure how easy it would be for me to convince dh to get the vaccine. He wouldn't give blood even when they were giving free water park tickets (true event).  I can make fun of dh for the needle issue because he makes fun of me for the clowns.

We all get the flu vaccine. I've been getting it since I last had the flu in 1995. It was horrible, I missed a lot of work, and really don't want to experience that again. I haven't had the flu since getting the vaccine. My dh and dc have both had the shot and the mist. The side effects of the mist were like a very mild cold. My dd, however, has still had the flu (confirmed by dr) twice when she's had the mist. Her dr recommends she has the shot, and that seems to work better for her. Ds has been fine with the mist.

My best friend almost died from complications of the flu when we were in college. She was 19 yrs old, active, and otherwise healthy. She spent two weeks in the hospital, one in ICU. She did recover, but was weak for a long time after that. She is always vaccinated now, and hasn't had the flu since.

Yeah...I am not sure how easy it would be for me to convince dh to get the vaccine. He wouldn't give blood even when they were giving free water park tickets (true event). I can make fun of dh for the needle issue because he makes fun of me for the clowns.

If he would be willing to do the flu-mist version I would encourage it.

Also, I just found this notice that the CDC is now recommending flu-mist over the shot version for children ages 2-8 as there is apparently evidence that it is more effective for that age range:

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/nasalspray-children.htm?mobile=nocontent

We all get the flu shot and have since I can remember.

The only side effects are a slightly sore arm for a day and possibly a general unwell feeling for a day or so.

The flu virus in a shot is dead, so there is no possible way to get the flu from the shot, but your immune system is doing hard work to build immunity, so that is why you can feel a bit unwell for a day or so after the shot. 

Once kids are old enough to just sit in a chair and get a shot without making a big deal out of it, we get them in the pharmacy.  DD7 still needs to be held down, so she gets them at the doctors office.  The pharmacy is usually quick and easy, just make sure to ask their wait time before you decide to get the shot.

All three of my kids had the flu mist this year and had no side effects.

This is the first year in many years we have gotten the vaccine. Different reasons. Some years kids had to avoid eggs, other years I didn't do it because swine flu was combined with it. Last year my little guy got the flu on Christmas. He had two other viruses that year that resulted in vomiting &/or diarrhea for a week, each time. So I opted for them to get it for his sake.

My kids and I have never gotten a flu shot and we've never been sick with the flu; but we seem to have quite a bit of natural immunity to disease and are healthy.  I know that doesn't mean I won't get sick as a dog this year, but I generally reject medical interventions unless there is a darned good chance I'll die from not having said medical intervention.  That's just my personal philosophy and I get that others may have a different level of comfort with medical interventions.  DH gets a flu shot every year; when he got flu mist he got flu as a side effect every year, too, but not so with the shot.  If your DS is that sick every year, I don't see much harm in getting the flu shot; it's very low risk.

I know this is a loaded question and many people disagree. I'm hoping to find information without starting an argument. My son has had the flu two years in a row. My dd has had the flu at least 3 times. We don't have the best diet but it's not the worst. We take vitamins but I'm hoping to take more supplements to improve our immune system.

My son goes to public high school and has missed a week of school both years he has had the flu. We haven't gotten flu shots in the past but we are seriously considering getting them this year. I've been concerned about getting them but I really don't have any concrete reasons why. I'm worried about side effects but don't really have any experience or reason why this is a concern. I would appreciate any concrete reasons either for or against the shot. Btw my kids are very active and I would consider them healthy otherwise.

Edit: I'm definitely leaning toward all of us getting one. Do you get one at your doctor's office or do you feel safe getting one at your pharmacy. Our local grocery store offers them in the pharmacy and it would be a lot more convenient for us. Also do you usually get any side effects (sore arm, increased tiredness.). If there are common side effects like these I want to plan to get the shots at a good time (not right before a hockey tournament or baseball game etc)

Up until last year none of us (at home) ever got the shot.  My college boys did as they couldn't afford to miss a week of classes.  None of us ever got the flu either - even with multiple close exposures at school or with friends.

Last year I had a bit to think about and figured, why not?  I couldn't come up with one good reason to be honest.  So we got the shot and still didn't get the flu, but no regrets.  I honestly didn't even feel the needle and had no side effects at all.  Hubby felt his and his arm was sore for a day, but that's it.

Hubby got his last Friday.  I'll get mine Oct 3rd.  I believe college boys already got theirs, except I need to check with my FL guy.

If you believe a Reader's Digest health article, you'll want to get some exercise the day you get the shot.  (pg 67, Sept issue).  A study from Iowa State supposedly showed those who jogged or biked for 90 minutes after receiving the shot had nearly double the amount of antibodies of those who were sedentary.  For me?  I'll be at school afterward, so a bit of walking around classrooms, but I don't think they'd like it if I jogged or biked!  Hopefully walking will suffice.

Our local school district give the flu vaccine free to all kids with the option of flu mist or the shot.

I say on Dr. Oz this week that the flue mist is only recommended for kids 15 and under this year. One down side to flu mist is that it contains virus that is still alive, so it is a possibility that people with weekend immune system can catch the flu from flu mist or so done who has had flu mist. The year that Grandma was undergoing treatment for cancer, we were advised to only get the shots even for the kids. The only side effect my kids ever had from flu mis was a slight runny nose which may or may not be related.

I never had any side effects from any flu shot that I have ever gotten. I tend to look for places where the shot is given for free such as through work or a community even. Our Senior Citizen center in town give free flu shots every year to anyone who comes. Last year I got mine from a table at Walmart. They did take my insurance info but did not charge me.

For families that homeschool and do not get out much I the fall and winter, it may be worth the risk to avoid the flu vaccine, but if your kids attend activities outside the home and/or you work outside the home, I would get it in a heartbeat. It only takes one season of family members having the flu one after the other to see the benefits. I would have a hard time missing a whole week of work when I get sick much less another week when my kid gets it.

I'm 41.  I never had the flu until I was 39 years old.  Boy, it was awful!  I thought, "Well, that was a fluke!  Eh.  If I ever get the flu again, I'll worry about a flu shot."  

And then, at 40, I got the flu again!  It was awful!   I was OUT for over a week.  I just sat on the couch amazed that a person could feel so horrible and not be dying. I coughed for weeks afterwards.

Yeah.  Flu, twice in two years?  I got the vaccine this past Thursday.  

And boy, oh boy!  My arm was sore the next day and my whole body had achy muscles (just this past Friday). I was exhausted and felt yucky.  I checked for a fever (because I often get muscle aches with fever) but there was no fever.  I took a nap in the middle of the day and almost took a second nap.

BUT!  I still managed to teach the kids all day.  I still managed to cook all the meals and even do a smidge of cleaning.  And yesterday I felt perfectly fine.  

I would easily and happily trade a day of feeling tired and achy over the week of being OUT and then the weeks of coughing afterwards.  

also adding that the needle for the flu shot is very thin--I've never felt it and they are finished giving it to you in about 10 seconds.

Oh, I felt it for sure, but it was the tiniest bit of pain. Very tiny. The shot was a cinch.  The arm pain the next day was a bother, but not where I was writhing in pain or anything.  Just a bother.  

And it was no where near 10 seconds.  Seriously, maybe 2 at the most.  It was over before I remembered to start counting.

We've taken them at the drs office, at public health clinics & at the pharmacy. My last year one at the pharmacy was excellent.  I find generally speaking nurses are better than physicians at administering shots. The pharmacists here all got special training to do them.
It's a small needle, small injection, really no big deal. Everyone here asks that you wait 15 mins after in case allergic reaction so remember to bring something to read/do. 

The most we've ever had was just a bruised feeling for about 36 hours. Nothing that limited activities at all.

I'm 41. I never had the flu until I was 39 years old. Boy, it was awful! I thought, "Well, that was a fluke! Eh. If I ever get the flu again, I'll worry about a flu shot."

And then, at 40, I got the flu again! It was awful! I was OUT for over a week. I just sat on the couch amazed that a person could feel so horrible and not be dying. I coughed for weeks afterwards.

Yeah. Flu, twice in two years? I got the vaccine this past Thursday.

And boy, oh boy! My arm was sore the next day and my whole body had achy muscles (just this past Friday). I was exhausted and felt yucky. I checked for a fever (because I often get muscle aches with fever) but there was no fever. I took a nap in the middle of the day and almost took a second nap.

BUT! I still managed to teach the kids all day. I still managed to cook all the meals and even do a smidge of cleaning. And yesterday I felt perfectly fine.

I would easily and happily trade a day of feeling tired and achy over the week of being OUT and then the weeks of coughing afterwards.

I think that we will all get the shots but this part concerns me a bit. I agree that one day of this is worth not getting the flu but I still need to plan this out. I vaguely remember my oldest dd getting a reaction like this several years ago. Maybe that's why I'm a bit over cautious. I'm wondering how long to expect a reaction like this to last. Of course health is most important but my middle dd can't really miss hockey. I'm sure it would be tough to play with this type if reaction. She practices or has games several times a week. Maybe I will get it first to see how I react. How long does it take for the shot to make you immune?

Change the diet.  Go organic as much as possible, eliminate as much sugar as possible, and take probiotics. It will make a huge difference. 

I think that we will all get the shots but this part concerns me a bit. I agree that one day of this is worth not getting the flu but I still need to plan this out. I vaguely remember my oldest dd getting a reaction like this several years ago. Maybe that's why I'm a bit over cautious. I'm wondering how long to expect a reaction like this to last. Of course health is most important but my middle dd can't really miss hockey. I'm sure it would be tough to play with this type if reaction. She practices or has games several times a week. Maybe I will get it first to see how I react. How long does it take for the shot to make you immune?

The paperwork said it could last a day or two after the shot.  I felt fine the evening/night of the shot (got the shot at around 5pm.).  I felt horrid the next day, but by that evening I could tell that I was feeling better.  

Next time I'll plan for the shot to be on a Friday if possible and rest the following Saturday.  

I would surely not have wanted to run around playing hockey.  Like I said, I was able to get my stuff done at home, but that only involved teaching to the boys and making a couple of simple meals.  Oh wait, I just remembered: I did get up and scout out an area for a photo shoot in the late afternoon the day after the shot and I found that getting up and out of the house got my mind off how I felt and I felt better while I was out walking around the photo shoot area.  So...all this to say that she might not be up for a game of hockey, but she'd probably be able to get through normal, quiet activities if she had a reaction like I did.

We usually don't get flu shots but will be this year. We've all had the flu twice in the past three years and the first time cost me my taste and smell (and it's not coming back). I don't really know why we suddenly started getting the flu, either. Until three years ago none of us had ever had it and we eat way healthier now than we used to.

The paperwork said it could last a day or two after the shot. I felt fine the evening/night of the shot (got the shot at around 5pm.). I felt horrid the next day, but by that evening I could tell that I was feeling better.

Next time I'll plan for the shot to be on a Friday if possible and rest the following Saturday.

I would surely not have wanted to run around playing hockey. Like I said, I was able to get my stuff done at home, but that only involved teaching to the boys and making a couple of simple meals. Oh wait, I just remembered: I did get up and scout out an area for a photo shoot in the late afternoon the day after the shot and I found that getting up and out of the house got my mind off how I felt and I felt better while I was out walking around the photo shoot area. So...all this to say that she might not be up for a game of hockey, but she'd probably be able to get through normal, quiet activities if she had a reaction like I did.

Sorry for all of the questions but do you think you felt better two days after? I'm thinking she could get the shot sat after hockey since she wouldn't have hockey again until Tuesday.

We've never done them until recently in our family. Then a 10 year old girl in our neighborhood died of Influenza B a few years ago plus now we have a recent transplant patient under our roof, so everyone gets them. Sore arms have been the worst reaction, and that's worth it to us.

There are no reasons to fear the vaccine unless a medical doctor says you have a condition or allergy that would make it unwise for you (or your ds) to get the vaccine.

Ds used to get the mist when he was younger and hated shots. I didn't want to add another one to upset him (this was when he was of an age that yearly vaccines or boosters were common), so I let him take the mist. He never got sick. The slight possibility is there, but the mist is an attenuated virus so the risk of getting the flu from it is relatively low, and the symptoms, if they do appear, are mild. When ds was 12, dh and I were getting the shot at a Walmart clinic, and I told ds I didn't want to make a separate trip to his doctor for him to get the mist. He sucked it up and took the shot, realized it wasn't so bad, and has been getting the shot ever since.

Full disclosure: We all get the flu vaccine every year and have done so for more than a decade. Ds is fully immunized, including the HPV vaccine.

Most years none of us have any problems with the shot. Occasionally one or more of us will have a sore arm. It usually just depends on who's giving the shot, and how good they are at it.

Sorry for all of the questions but do you think you felt better two days after? I'm thinking she could get the shot sat after hockey since she wouldn't have hockey again until Tuesday.

Here was my timeline, but I'm just one person (of course):  

I got the shot on Thursday 5pm

Felt fine and went to bed around 10:00.

7:00 Woke up feeling very tired.  Quickly realized my muscles were very achy.  Took my temperature.  Normal.  

Felt unhappily achy and tired all day. Took at nap at 1:00 until 1:30.   

Went out at 5:00 for the photo shoot scout.  Felt mildly achy while out, but it seemed to be waning.

Felt only mildly achy at bedtime.  10:00

Saturday morning, slept in until 8:00 and felt great all day.

Sunday morning, feeling great today.

The paperwork said that if a person has a mild reaction (and I would categorize mine as mild) that it can start a couple of hours after the shot and last for a day or two.  Since I got the shot at the end of the day, I would say it sounds about right.  The worst of it was done by 24 hours after the shot.

ETA:  I didn't mind feeling achy.  Really, the flu was so horrid that a day of unhappy aches didn't phase me at all.  I just wouldn't have wanted to play hockey.  But I made it through my normal activities with only a little bit of whining. 

We have had good experience getting it at the CVS minute clinic. Faster by far than the peds office. If we even walk in the door of the the pediatricians' office in the fall or winter, one of us will end up sick.

My Dh get his vax for free at work b/c he works for a major healthcare company. Our insurance doesn't cover the flu vax.

While there are some reasons to avoid the attenuated live flu mist (egg allergy, asthma, pregnancy, children on chronic aspirin therapy, renal/hepatic insufficiency, age<2 or age>49) the only true contraindications to the inactivated (i.e. killed or dead) influenza vaccine are prior life threatening allergic reaction to the vaccine or vaccine components.

A history of Guillain-Barre Syndrome in association with prior influenza vaccine is also considered a reason to decline in some cases.  Interestingly, the evidence is still inconclusive regarding the Influenza Vaccine and GBS association.  It is also important to understand that there is a low but still documented risk of developing GBS after Influenza infection so avoiding the vaccine because of GBS fears may actually put the patient at greater risk of harm than receiving the injection.

We did the inactivated vaccine again this year because our youngest is too young to get the flu mist and the flu mist is a poor choice for several of our other children because of their medical history.

We always get the flu shot.  In the past DH has gotten it at work and I went to CVS, but now our pediatrician's office offers it to parents as well so we all go in at the same time.  The kids get the mist as soon as they are able; DH and I get the shots.  No side effects other than a mildly sore arm.

Last year, despite the shot, we all got the flu (diagnosed as one of the strains covered by the shot) for the first time.    DH was sick for a solid week, my two olders were down and out for about 5 days, and the youngest and I were a bit unwell for a couple of days.   According to the doctor, that was nothing compared to what they were seeing in unvaccinated folks who then got the flu, but DH wound up missing an important conference and it was just a very un-fun winter break all around.  I have no interest in having the full-bore family flu experience, so we'll be vaccinating again.  Our appointment is a week from tomorrow, in fact.  

Flu shots or not, I think it's a good idea to do what you can for your immune system. Get plenty of sleep and drink plenty of water. I am a big believer in good quality vitamin D/daily outdoor time, vitamin K, and vitamin C. When anyone suspects they are coming down with something, we start taking zinc lozenges (Cold Eeze) and frequently "clean ears" with hydrogen peroxide.

I've gotten the flu shot once in my life and that was only because I was traveling out of the country for 5 weeks at the height of flu season and didn't want to get sick away from my family.  I'm not against getting it, its just not something I've ever considered as absolutely necessary so its never made in on my priorities list.  I may change my mind if any of us ever get the flu but so far I've been flu free my entire life, dh has, and my children have.

In your case, I would get it.  Your children are prone to the flu so the vaccination is your best bet at keeping it away.  Even if they catch it with the vaccine it will likely be weaker.

We don't get it because I don't see the necessity.  I think we are at a low risk of getting the flu.  During flu season we aren't out and about with a lot of sick people, we wear thin gloves while shopping, and we wash our hands as soon as we get home from an outing.

If my kids went to public school we'd all get the vaccine.  My college son got it last week before he went back to school.

I caught The Death Flu in 98. It took over a MONTH to get back to 100%. If I didn't t have the worlds most reasonable toddler I don't know how I would have managed. As it was, DH worked half days for a week and a half; going to work when she went down for her nap so I only cared for her alone from the end of nap time until he got home. Those 2-3 hours wiped me out. After that I got the shot every year. I've had the flu a few times, but nothing that knocked me off my feet for more than a few days. I also have a son with muscular dystrophy and he's supposed to always get the shot. We just all do it.

I used to never get flu shots for any of us and we never got the flu.  Then, we ALL got it three years in a row.  The third year, I was hugely pregnant.  My oldest developed a secondary kidney infection after the flu and barely dodged a hospitalization.  I honestly think if I had gone to the doctor while sick that I would have been put in the hospital.  It was horrible.

Last year, we all got the flu shot for the first time.  No flu.  No side effects.  Yippee.