Menu

What is the temperature IN your house right now?

NatashainDFW

It's 65 in here now, usually about 62 overnight. Our furnace's thermostat is really old and inaccurate but it still makes the furnace run, so I doubt the landlord will install a new one. I'm comfortable but I'm also wearing a lot of clothes!

I'm cold no matter what. Here in the PNw, it's like the damp just seeps into my bones. I'm usually wearing fleece pants, two or 3 layers on top (one of which is a poly fleece), socks, and my wicked good clog slippers. I also usually wear a short scarf around my neck and today I'm wearing a hat. Other defenses against cold include a hot mug of coffee in my hands, an electric blanket on the bed, and plenty of fleece blankets when I'm huddled on the couch. Sometimes I can even entice the cat into snoozing on my feet.

The kids are fine, they're wearing jeans, long sleeved shirts and no socks. They've adjusted easily to WA weather! My oldest doesn't even use her electric blanket, she says she gets too hot?!?!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We keep ours set at 65 but it's so cold outside right now that the temps in most of the rooms are about 60. The thermostat is in the kitchen near the frig so it isn't calling for heat. That's par for winter here. We just put on a sweatshirt and go about our business.

I keep it at 25C most of teh time, so 77F

We had a whole winter of -30 to -40C temps outside and our furnace was broken, our house was usually about 4C or 39F we were so cold all the time, had to wear out winter coats, hats and mitts inside. The kids slept with their snowsuits on under their blankets etc. WHen I was able to get it fixed in the spring I swore I would never be cold again like that, we keep the house toasty now

Good grief, I couldn't live in those cold houses! Mine is on 72 right now, with gas heaters going and I'm still chilled. In winter I'm not warm until it's 74 and then I'm bundled up. In summer we keep it at 73 in here with the air. I'm freezing if my house is at 69.

I live in Southern Louisiana. My house is not insulated well. I could feel the cold air last night coming through the walls.

I hate winter...

68 at the moment. I'm very comfortable in just jeans and a thermal or sweater at this temp. I'd prefer lower (62-65) and to wear more layers (long underwear, wool socks, etc) but it gets too exhausting to put all the layers on the kids all day and my boys run much colder than I do (DD would be fine). I also can't use space heaters right now with two 2-yos kicking around the place, so we've been running it a bit warmer.

Thermostat is currently turned to 61, but it's sunny here today, so it is showing that it is currently 63. W/ the sun pouring in, I'm comfortable in my jeans, tee w/ a sweater over it, & boots while in the house.

At night, we often keep it set somewhere between 59 & 62. In the daytime, I'll sometimes bump it up as high as 65, but then it definitely starts feeling too hot in here.

My very elderly kitty does have a heating pad since he doesn't retain heat well at this point (& is part of the reason that the heat is sometimes set to 62 at night, rather than lower).

Dh would probably keep it constantly set at 60 or lower (he hates hot weather), but the settings I listed are about as low as I can go.

75. I could live with it at 70 but I'd be layered up and wearing socks and slippers. My aunt always had it at 65 and it hated going to her house cause I'd shiver the whole time.

I can handle -25 outside with just a sweater but that's different because I'm moving and active. In the house I'm not moving as much.

I always feel embarrassed by these threads. But it's 75 in this house. The heat is on though I don't know if it ran much today. I'm still wrapped in a blanket. I and one child are very cold sensitive people. I hate to be cold. I grew up in a home that my parents kept colder than I consider comfortable to save money. I won't do that as long as I can afford to keep it warm for us here. For me 62 would be something I would only do if it were heat vs. food financially or similar. I imagine I'd feel differently if I weren't cold sensitive though. My husband runs around in a t shirt and shorts here. He wouldn't mind it quite a bit cooler.

It's 70 in the living room and 72 in the kitchen, according to the fridge, but I just baked a pie. We haven't turned our furnace on yet, though, so it's much cooler upstairs. Probably 60. The woodstoves at opposite corners downstairs keep things toasty.

Back porch thermometer says it's 38F.

Depends on what room you're in :)

Our kitchen/bath ell is 68. That's the only room with a thermostat. We have a wood/coal stove in our family room so that is probably around 80. Upstairs we don't put any heat on, and the master bedroom is the coldest, so right now I'm guessing that's around 60.

eta that the heat is not on in the kitchen/bath...the wood stove heat gets into that room. Also, the outside temp is about 30 right now.

68 in my house now. Heat only kicks on at night for now because we're still in the 70s during the day.

I couldn't function well at 62. BUT, I live in the desert. 8 months out of year it's over 80 degrees.

My dh used to complain about me getting cold and bundling up by saying "Well, there isnt' snow on the ground." Hurumph.

I finally explained it like this. If it is 70 degrees somewhere normal and it dips 30 degrees, you're chilly right?

It's no different in the desert when you're used to 90 in the fall and it dips to 60. And we get 30 degree drops in the course of a day.

Right? Right?! (JAWM here, 'cause I'm winning with that logic at home).

I am amazed at how many people keep the heat set so low and aren't miserable -- our power went out for about a week last year after a storm, and as soon as the temperature in the house got down into the mid-60's, well, you should have heard all of the whining about it.

OK, I was the one doing the whining. :rolleyes:

And the whining started at right about 68 degrees. The level intensified with every passing hour and every degree on the thermostat.

It was not a pretty sight.

I felt like I was chilled to the bone. (I'm always cold, though!) We packed up some stuff and went to a hotel until the power came back on.

Now I feel like such a wimp. :(

This is a constant argument in my house ALL. WINTER. LONG. I am very sensitive to the cold. Ours is usually set at 69; colder for night. To me, it seems so cold in here from about October to March, I am convinced that dh has the thermostat rigged to read 69 when it's actually 64. Or something like that. I am constantly cold ALL the time and dress like I live in Alaska. We have this routine conversation that goes like this:

Me: "I am FREEZING."

Him: "It is 69 in here."

Me: "Well, if it is, I freeze when it's 69."

Him: "69 isn't cold. There's something wrong with you."

Me: "There probably is something wrong with me. Nevertheless, I am freezing."

The thermostat says 73. I am wearing a big sweatshirt, fleece pants and fuzzy socks, and my hands are still cold. During my two days a week at work, I dress in layers and also wear a snuggie sitting at my desk. Earlier this week, I wore (at work) jeans, long boots, a shirt, a sweater and my down parka. Yes, indoors. Yes, to the copy machine. No one else seems to have a thermostat like mine at work. I look forward to menopause. Maybe I will be normal. I would be amazingly miserable in a house set at 62. I would be running to jump in a steaming hot bath to warm my core temp up.

I live in a warm climate, although in the winter the nightly temp can fall into the 20s (F). Right now when I awake in the morning the house is around 63F. But that's because we use an evaporative cooler and (cheaply) cool the house down at night so I can snuggle down & sleep well. I turn off the evap when I get up (because I'm having to wear fleece), but by mid-afternoon it's about 75 in here because our daytime highs are still about 80 outside.

And 75 is way too hot for me to sleep, so by 7:00 the evap goes back on!

Currently, it's probably -32 or so outside. It will dip down to -40 tonight and tomorrow night. Not fun. We have our heat on 58 degrees. We do have a woodstove in the garage. I am able to open the door to my living room and some of the heat does come upstairs. Right now, it's 65 degrees in the living room and 61 in the bedrooms. I'm chilly...often. We're trying to move the woodstove downstairs so it will heat the whole house. I'll save that story for a different day. :p If money were no object, I would keep my heat on 72 degrees. Unfortunately, with fuel prices the way they are, that just can't happen. We put $1700 worth of heating fuel in our tank last week. I'm not even sure if that will last until February. Living in Alaska is expensive.

Currently, it's probably -32 or so outside. It will dip down to -40 tonight and tomorrow night. Not fun. We have our heat on 58 degrees. We do have a woodstove in the garage. I am able to open the door to my living room and some of the heat does come upstairs. Right now, it's 65 degrees in the living room and 61 in the bedrooms. I'm chilly...often. We're trying to move the woodstove downstairs so it will heat the whole house. I'll save that story for a different day. :p If money were no object, I would keep my heat on 72 degrees. Unfortunately, with fuel prices the way they are, that just can't happen. We put $1700 worth of heating fuel in our tank last week. I'm not even sure if that will last until February. Living in Alaska is expensive.

This sounds familiar. It costs close to £1000 to fill our gas tank to heat the house. It's due to be filled in the next week or two and it won't last us through the winter. We have an ultra-efficient modern boiler and the heat is only on from 6.30 to 8 in the morning and from 5 to 10 at night. Last winter we used about 1% a day, but we have changed our habits to try to reduce that.

When we have the wood stove running in the sitting room the temperature is higher, but I only usually light that at weekends as we are not home much during the week. We have free wood.

Laura

I started reading your post and thought, "Whoa! Where does SHE live?" Then I looked at your screen name and saw "Georgia." I thought, "No WAY it's that cold there in November!" Then your last line clued me in! Alaska makes a lot more sense!