Menu

Unscientific Poll

A. What country has been your primary residence during the last 10 years? Canada (it's been my only country ever LOL)

B. While showering, do you keep the water on, or do you wet your body, turn the water off, wash, turn the water on, rinse (repeat if necessary)? Umm, keep it on! I've never heard of anyone showering with the on/off/on/off thing... :001_huh:

I remember when I was a child, we had water shortage and we were encouraged to "shower with a friend" and turn off the water when soaping up.

Oh, USA, by the way.

Now we have our own well, I shower with the water on the whole time. During the rainy season, when water from the yard drains into the septic tank, I take very quick showers and the children bathe less frequently. Dh also encourages the "if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down" for the toilets, but I rebel against this because I hate the bathrooms smelling of urine.

A. What country has been your primary residence during the last 10 years?

U.S.

B. While showering, do you keep the water on, or do you wet your body, turn the water off, wash, turn the water on, rinse (repeat if necessary)?

Keep the water on.

I have only lived in the U.S.

I leave the water on when I shower, which is rarely, because I prefer a bath.

Last year during the water shortage, I would take a bath and then run the kiddos through my water. We ran totally out of water several times, as our water is supplied by a spring.

1. USA

2. It depends on the circumstances. In the house I leave it on but there is a time limit to shower (otherwise my kids would spend all day in there). Growing up, when we lived on the boat-wet down, water off, wash up, water on. For me, it depends on the water situation.

US--leave water on.

After something we saw at the Children's Museum a couple years ago, we started trying to take SUPER-fast showers, but that didn't last very long. OF course we do it in a hurry, but usually, we enjoy our showers.

ETA: I NEVER leave the water running during brushing my teeth though (thanks to Barney) :)

A. USA

B. I leave it on. It would take much more water if I kept turning it on and off because of the time it would take to get the temp right before turning the shower on. I put on one of those buttons up at the shower head to make it easy to turn the water on and off. However, when I did that the water from the shower would be cold when I turned it back on. I hate cold water. :)

US

B. While showering, do you keep the water on, or do you wet your body, turn the water off, wash, turn the water on, rinse (repeat if necessary)?

I keep the water on - although I do think years ago I did try the turning it off thing, but it obviously wasn't something I decided I liked.

US

I have a water-saving showerhead; it goes on full blast when rinsing, it goes on "mist" (severely restricted water flow) the rest of the time. That way I don't have to get chilled, but still save water. :001_smile:

Even on full blast, it's oxygenated... so it feels like a stronger flow than it really is.

1) I've lived in the UK for the past 8 years and in the US before that.

2) I always keep the water running while I'm sudsing. The only time that I didn't was when we had drainage problems and when we lived in a house with no shower, only a bath.

I turn it off when in the US for any extended activities (shaving, deep conditioning, etc). When I lived with my parents, there was a handy dandy toggle switch on the shower head that stopped the water, but maintained the temperature.

When I am in places without running water, I usually take a bucket bath, and it would be impossible for anyone but an octopus to continuously to throw jugs of water while scrubbing!

The fact that so many people merrily let water go down the drain testifies to the low cost and high availability of water, and also to the large size of our water tanks (and low cost of heating water) that we have in the country.

US

On, with a water-saving shower head.

I have switched to taking showers downstairs b/c it takes so long for the hot water to reach upstairs. Also, the downstairs bathroom is always warmer than the upstairs, and I hate to shave my legs with goosebumps. :tongue_smilie:

I just don't see turning it off and on to be much of a saver the way I shower. It takes me maybe 30 seconds to suds up, and another 30 to shampoo my hair. The longest part is shaving, and I do that while my hair is conditioning. I can be in and out in 4 minutes or less, and often am when I'm home alone with the kids.

Now, brushing my teeth takes longer, and I *do turn the water off for that!

US

Water on

Our biggest water waster is waiting for the water to heat up. Last year during the worst of our drought, we kept a large bucket in the shower to catch the water while it warmed, then would use that to either flush the toilet or water the plants.

The U.S.

Sometimes I leave the water on, and have the drain plugged so that I can bathe while I shave my legs. Sometimes I turn the water on to get wet and lather up, and turn it off until I'm ready to rinse.

Sometimes I just take a very quick shower and leave the water on.

It all depends on how much time I have, and whether the purpose is just cleanliness or if it is my 'down time'.

USA & ROK

I shower in less than five minutes, and usually turn the water off. My kids will shower for 15+ minutes, and tend to leave the water running. Occasionally they will say they are taking "an Army bath" (their dad) or "a Japanese bath" (me) and will be in and out in less than five minutes, having turned the water off between sudsing and rinsing. That's usually when I enfoce a shower they aren't thrilled about taking LOL.

I think it's largely cultural. When I first started living with my son's dad, I slowly became more like him - longer showers, water left on. It became a sort of quick relaxation. When we began to live apart I eventually reverted back to my upbringing, and went back to short "all about business" showers. And if I want to relax, I'll soak in the tub :)

1. USA

2. leave water on.

But when we go to the Phillippines we turn on the trickle of water, get wet quickly, turn off the water, soap and shampoo, and then pray that there will be another trickle in which to rinse! Also - there is no hot water in the Philippines (even in wealthy houses). You would think that would be no big deal in a hot country but the water was freezing! My poor dd would scream the whole time we would bathe her.

Please answer the following questions:

USA

On and as hot as I can stand it.

Carole

5 years in Venezuela and 5 years in the US.

I keep the water on. However, when we had water shortages in Caracas, I'd take a sponge bath before I'd freeze while sudsing. I can't stand the cold and standing around wet would be miserable for me, even in the tropics or the Texas summer.

The US

Water on the whole time, but I'm usually a quick shower person (ie: less than 10 mintues)

Australia

I keep the water on. I feel kind of bad about it, since we are on stage 4 water restrictions, but I get cold!! I only take quick showers though. I dream of 20 min showers, but haven't done that since grade 5 after coming home from soccer coated with black mud from head to toe :D

Rosie