Menu

If you are a parent with kids in activities, how is the best way to get in touch with you?

Dmmetler

My program is doing the Christmas Parade next weekend. 

I sent home an announcement both on paper and via email back in October, announcing the date/time and what kids needed for it. I have sent this information home repeatedly on paper, email, and group text. it was on the printed program and announced at the recital, it's on the dppr of the studio. 

I sent out a group text this morning to remind everyone that we do have Lessons this week (knowing that often people miss that we continue after the recital and also giving our line up number (which I just got). So far today, I've answered 5 messages that were 100% information that has been sent out many times before-including in this morning's text!

So...how do I get parents to read? I can't call 43 families individually, and I know I prefer not to get phone calls-but obviously printed flyers, emails, and group texts aren't doing it!

I no longer have kids in my house, but I will tell you that I had this problem constantly in all the years I was raising kids, running 4H and other clubs and activities and running a small business as a teacher as well. Also I have directed lots of church programs and activities.

People don't read stuff. It's a problem. There is no new app or form of communication that will fix the problem. They simply will not read stuff. Your best bet is what you're doing--send it out repetitively and in more than one form. You'll hit a good proportion of people that way.

That said, I do think texts hit most people these days. No one wants another app. If you don't have a website, you might consider having one for people to go look retrieve the information there.

• Like 8

email but some people do prefer text. No one wants another app but the baseball team app that I have will ping my phone to remind me of events and their details. Most people hate having to get a new app but also they don't read/pay attention to stuff so...

It's the timing that matters for reading. What works best is way in advance, then follow up with a week before the event. 

This sounds like a them problem.  Not a you problem.  I don't think there is anything else you could do.  I might put all the latest info it in blog format and have a link to send these people when they text for it so I don't have to find the same info to cut and paste over and over.  I might try and embed a calendar in that page if possible.

• Like 3

I used to send emails to parents of young children.  I knew that they weren't going to read jack unless it was a TL:DR version.  So my emails would often look like this:

Good morning, parents!

On TUESDAY we're going to work on ACTIVITY.  The calendar says JACK is bringing the SNACKS, and MOLLY is my HELPER.  Remember to bring BOOKS.

This SATURDAY NOVEMBER 3RD, we're going to meet at HAPPY SQUARE PARK, 10:30 AM.  Everyone should have a LUNCH and BACKPACK.

Hope to see you there!

TUESDAY: ACTIVITY

JACK: SNACKS  MOLLY: HELPER

SATURDAY: NOVEMBER 3, 10:30AM

LUNCH, BACKPACK

• Like 5

I'll also add-I have a Google classroom that includes a calendar and updated information. At this point, I'm doing it to have all my links in one place, because no one uses it-the only times anyone logs in is when I have students do it in class. I also have a Facebook page, which, as far as I can tell, only gets noticed by other music teachers, who all like and share each other's posts. Same with Instagram-the only student parent who responds to posts there is one who manages Insta for the swim school she works for, so we "like" each other's posts (And in fairness, she actually knows what's going on...but we're both in the same "parents don't read" boat). 

• Like 1

I very clearly communicate up front that you need to READ your email to participate.  I picked only two forms of communication and stuck to those.  For my group it was a Facebook group and email.  I would often imbed a code word into an email and ask people what the codeword was in class.  Ten people would say "banana" 3 people would look lost, and I would make a point of saying please read the whole email before asking me questions.  Occasionally a google survey would be imbedded in the email.

Sometimes I set up actionable roadblocks so they HAD to do x before you could participate in y.  Pay the tuition BEFORE you are allowed in the class.  Know the dance by x date because I'm only going to stage for the number of people who know the choreography.  I'd schedule dress rehearsals a month ahead so nobody was doing any last minute costume adjustments too close to a show.  Late fees work, but don't CALL them late fees.  Call it a discount for paying on day one.  

The only thing that makes people read the information is to have clear consequences that you're willing to enforce if they don't.  Elsewise they prioritize doing the stuff they HAVE to do on time and put your thing into the flake-if-I-want-to category.   

ETA:  It's okay to send a text that says "Read your email."  There's no reason for you to ever draft a long, detailed text, but the text reminder eliminates all the "oh I don't check my email often" excuses.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 3

As a teacher I can tell you that people just don’t bother to read anything. Pretty much ever. Email, hot pink colored paper note staples to their child’s folder, it doesn’t matter. They do not read what we send home in any form. It also doesn’t seem to matter what level of education or socio economic group the family is from- no one reads our messages.

• Like 4

Text is the best, I like a Facebook page with updated info too.  I’ll read emails.   I will download an app but only under protest and it’ll make me cranky.  I may or may not check the app if it doesn’t alert me automatically and I WONT learn all of the secrets of using the app so keep it simple.  Don’t set up groups, leaders, discussion boards, etc.  

This season soccer had a group text and it was great.  

• Like 2

I have not found that people read, in general.  I send home emails and texts about important preschool things, and the preschool sends home written notification, but people are still like, "What?"  I get somewhat better results telling people in person about everything, but that's not practical all the time.  It's deeply frustrating.

I will say that one time the preschool was complaining about no parents doing x, and when I went through the written communications to look for a detail myself, I realized that the written communications had been done incredibly badly with the pertinent info buried in dense text four paragraphs down in a paragraph about a bunch of extraneous stuff.  I was like, sheesh, no wonder the only parents who correctly signed up are the lawyers and actuaries.  

• Like 2

As a parent of kids in the activity, I prefer emails. Short, clear emails with point-form detail. Dates and times in their own line, highlighted. I don't want to read a lot of text. I don't want to have to scroll to the bottom of a page to get to the important bits. I also want to understand what the expectations of my child and myself are at the beginning of the season.

The best run child activity I was involved in as a parent was my dc's violin ensemble. The leader was tough and amazing. His rule was if a child misses 3 rehearsals, they would not participate in the concert. Full stop. The concert was amazing and the highlight of the year. In the 4 years we were involved in this group, I don't remember anyone missing the concert. A couple kids were close, but they came through in the end.

The next be run child activity was our community theatre. Upfront, there was a commitment form for the parents and youth to sign, where people included the dates they would miss rehearsals. Too many misses and you were out of the final production.

My point being, it really seems to help when expectations are clear, consequences are clear, and upheld. Communication for both these activities were directed verbally for the children/youth participating, as well as verbally to the parents (when possible) and written in one consistent method (email, facebook, etc.). 

• Like 2

FWIW, the dates for the Spring concert and center ckosings are set through May. We sometimes get additional opportunities due to being part of the city system, with less notice, but those are always optional, and they know as soon as I do.

I'm reluctant to do a set "miss three and you're out" because I absolutely do NOT want people coming when they or anyone in their household are sick (and I will and have dropped people from the program for doing so). I offer makeups for piano, but that's harder for ensembles. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

FWIW, I don't use a separate app, but do set up a group text at the start of each semester. It SHOULD just appear as another text for parents.

To be clear I mean an app I have to get to get notifications. Use whatever to send me a text. 

Yeah I think people just miss things don't read.  Most of our activities I get a paper, an email, and their is a shout out on Facebook. Still when the teacher reminds us at pickup their are at least 1 or 2 who don't know anything about it.

6 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

So...how do I get parents to read?

You can't. 🤷‍♀️

Text and fb messenger with direct questions like "Will you be attending X event at Y time? When will you be sending me your deposit for the event?" got better results, but it was basically nagging people.  

I appreciate vendors/businesses that keep their fb page updated with current info so I don't have to message with "I forgot what you told me 2 weeks ago".  

6 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I no longer have kids in my house, but I will tell you that I had this problem constantly in all the years I was raising kids, running 4H and other clubs and activities and running a small business as a teacher as well. Also I have directed lots of church programs and activities.

People don't read stuff. It's a problem. There is no new app or form of communication that will fix the problem. They simply will not read stuff. Your best bet is what you're doing--send it out repetitively and in more than one form. You'll hit a good proportion of people that way.

That said, I do think texts hit most people these days. No one wants another app. If you don't have a website, you might consider having one for people to go look retrieve the information there.

Echoing the multiple methods, I’d use text, email and fb private group (benefit of fb group is the ability to more securely share pics). Not everyone uses every communication tool, but if you choose several methods you’re bound to hit most people. 

Of course, still can’t *make* people read it. 

• Like 1

Text or email but text is better for reminders.

I am terrible about reading things ahead of time, but it isn't because I don't want to be prepared. It is because we are so busy, which obviously isn't the responsibility of the people running the activities (bolded so no one misses that I owned up to this. lol) But if a kid has a choir concert on a Tuesday evening, but I have a tournament 8 hours away over the weekend plus regular activities and school etc. between now and then I will not start thinking about the choir concert until Monday at the earliest. My family members, the ones who still live here full time, were all home for exactly two weekends in a ten week period this fall and they had local tournaments both of those weekends. And in those weeks we had regular practices, youth get togthers, and friends over. We had a choir concert, a dance recital, and field trips. I moved two kids to college, sewed Halloween costumes, put designs (all different) on shirts for my husband's extended family, and got my house ready to list including helping with major home projects (we are in the middle of a transfer). I had two garage sales. We mostly kept up with school.

I don't think we missed anything. I even brought all the snacks I was supposed to. Everyone met dress codes. But, yeah, I did text friends with kids in the same activity stuff like, "What time is the recital tonight?" The girls had a piano recital yesterday, and I had to check a message yesterday morning to know if it was a Monday or Tuesday thing.

So for the somewhat irresponsible parents like me (I am not being sarcastic here), a text the day before or the morning of with just the pertinent details is great. Recital tonight at 6:30. Have kids there by 6:00 dressed and ready. address link 

• Like 1

If it's short, a text.  If it's long, an email.  I'd prefer not to have to click into a website (which doesn't always work or can take forever or may demand a password I don't have on hand).  Paper may not reach me on time if you give it to my kids.

It may help to just send a list of quick bullets with just the important stuff, so people don't have to take time to look for the info they need.

• Like 1

If it’s more than a few sentences - email. Or better yet, paper in hand. 

text for changes of plans less than 24 hours away.

a reminder text 24 to 48 hours out with only the key details is helpful. 

my problem is getting too much information. And then still not getting key details. 

keep it short please. 

and for the love of all that’s holy. Please don’t make mandatory parent meetings where we sit through 1-2 hours that could have been a bullet points email. I’m begging you. 

• Like 2

I like the apps. Idk if you can use the remind app—it’s for schools, but folks can chose whether to get the info via text, email or only in the app. 

Class expectations and overall schedule I like getting via email so I can print it or search to find it. I hate Facebook. It stresses me out and sometimes I miss things. My phone won’t open messenger. Unfortunately, where I live now, Facebook is the main vehicle for communication. 

31 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

and for the love of all that’s holy. Please don’t make mandatory parent meetings where we sit through 1-2 hours that could have been a bullet points email. I’m begging you. 

I respect this... and yet, that is the only way that I can ensure that some families understand what is involved in my group. Because they don't read stuff. 

It's less than a half hour though.

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 3

How do you get parents to read? 

Be blunt.

When I was in charge of communications for my son's sport club, it.was.awful. trying to get parents to read the emails and do the things on time, until...

At the beginning of each season we have one mandatory parent meeting, so when it was my turn to stand up and explain my (voluntary) role, I explained it.

And I told them that I can write all the easy to read, bullet pointed, bolded, and highlighted information containing emails in the world, but I quote "I can't read them for you, too". I also told them that I refused to answer questions with info I already gave them and the response would always be "read the email". I explained I would not be hunting people down to make sure they signed their child up for competitions before the deadlines because "as a volunteer, you do not pay me enough to be your personal assistant."

That year, the hassle of communication decreased by about 95%, because people searched through their inbox to check for and read emails before asking questions. 

Edited by fraidycat
Run on sentence. Haha. My emails to the club did not contain paragraphs, I promise.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My husband taught me this- never answer these questions with the information. Instead, answer them by referring back to the original message. "Hi! That info can be found in the text sent out this morning!" Copy-paste. You have to train people to use the communication avenues that you have set in place. I found this to be a universal truth in everything I have ever lead. No matter how perfect and easy and clear the communication is, you will inevitably be asked questions you've already answered. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

my problem is getting too much information. And then still not getting key details. 

This is a huge problem for me.  It really seems like organizers are counting on everyone "remembering from last year" which falls apart quickly if you weren't part of the activity last year, or were part of it but were in the younger part that does things differently.  Or they leave out really important bits because they have done the recital/tournament/whatever so many times that everything seems like common sense to them.  It would really help if they approached it as if not one person participating had ever participated before.

• Like 2

Texts get to me and I like them. Emails are fine for me too but I know from being in groups and talking to other people that some people never check emails so that doesn’t seem effective. I am good at checking email and still I occasionally miss something that goes to spam even though I’m pretty careful to check and on the lookout for important things. 

Oh!  My problem with group text is I mute that crap so fast bc frankly I’m. It going to sort through 30+ responses to one text to find the actual text with info I needed. That happens all the time. I hate it. I don’t want to read responses from every mom out there. I just need the organizer info tyvm. 

so text me. But please do not group text me. That’s the fastest way to get muted.

• Like 1

I will say that I am a person who does read the info if I can.  But sometimes I still have questions, even if I re-read it 3 times, because the writer isn't clear.  So, sometimes I will have to ask for info that the original sender thinks she already sent.

I think a pretty good % of these issues could be resolved by just taking more care with the original message.  As short as possible, as clear as possible.  Maybe ask someone who isn't fully in the know to review it before it goes out.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Oh!  My problem with group text is I mute that crap so fast bc frankly I’m. It going to sort through 30+ responses to one text to find the actual text with info I needed. That happens all the time. I hate it. I don’t want to read responses from every mom out there. I just need the organizer info tyvm. 

so text me. But please do not group text me. That’s the fastest way to get muted.

YES THIS!

I love the people who say: This is an informative text only. If you have any questions please message me individually and I will send out additional information as needed. Please do not thumbs up or ask questions on this text thread because then the essential information gets bumped.

41 minutes ago, freesia said:

My problem with text only is that some people do not have unlimited text. We did not have unlimited texting for years. So group texting situation can lead to a lot of cost if you’re paying per text.

Is that still a thing though?  I can’t remember the last time I saw a phone planned offered that wasn’t unlimited talk and text.   I didn’t think it was even an option anymore.  
I didn’t have unlimited texts for years, but that was more than a decade ago. 

16 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

Is that still a thing though?  I can’t remember the last time I saw a phone planned offered that wasn’t unlimited talk and text.   I didn’t think it was even an option anymore.  

Yes, we just changed plans in July when we moved. I coup iMessage folks with iPhones but paid for texts to androids or when I was out of a network. It’s a lot cheaper so my concern is that people with less resources are put in an awkward position. 

27 minutes ago, freesia said:

Yes, we just changed plans in July when we moved. I coup iMessage folks with iPhones but paid for texts to androids or when I was out of a network. It’s a lot cheaper so my concern is that people with less resources are put in an awkward position. 

You’re right, it does. I had no idea that was available anymore so it wouldn’t have occurred to me.    

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

Totally is still a thing.  If I don't text at all in a given month I don't pay for texting at all (that rarely happens any more).  First text of the month I pay $3 for 100 texts. I have never gone over 100 texts in a month.  I get texts for kids activities and usually a few junk texts.  I think it is fair.

• Like 1

I personally prefer email for activity information (especially if it is a well organized email sent out on regular intervals), unless it is last minute announcements like a weather cancellation. The problem for me with getting an info in a text is that it's harder to search for it later.  I'd rather be typing in search terms on my computer than trying to scroll through texts on my phone or trying to search there.   I also like having a known spot I can go to if I can't find the right email (a website or facebook page or whatever), because it's nice to quickly be able to double check a schedule, or to send a link to DH or older sibling that is taking care of a pick-up from an activity.

But, as someone who runs activities, I try and send out as many types of communication as possible, because I have had so many people tell me they never read their email.  I organize a lot of church events, and we don't really have the budget for texting (the kind of texting where each person gets a separate text rather than it looking like a group text - it costs money per-text to send - at least with services we have looked at, which can add up), but we do use email, website, facebook page, facebook group, google calendar, and physical paper announcements/church bulletin.   Different people like different methods, so we are trying to hit all our bases.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sassenach said:

My husband taught me this- never answer these questions with the information. Instead, answer them by referring back to the original message. "Hi! That info can be found in the text sent out this morning!" Copy-paste. You have to train people to use the communication avenues that you have set in place. I found this to be a universal truth in everything I have ever lead. No matter how perfect and easy and clear the communication is, you will inevitably be asked questions you've already answered. 

This is what I do.  It is very effective.  

23 hours ago, fraidycat said:

How do you get parents to read? 

Be blunt.

When I was in charge of communications for my son's sport club, it.was.awful. trying to get parents to read the emails and do the things on time, until...

At the beginning of each season we have one mandatory parent meeting, so when it was my turn to stand up and explain my (voluntary) role, I explained it.

And I told them that I can write all the easy to read, bullet pointed, bolded, and highlighted information containing emails in the world, but I quote "I can't read them for you, too". I also told them that I refused to answer questions with info I already gave them and the response would always be "read the email". I explained I would not be hunting people down to make sure they signed their child up for competitions before the deadlines because "as a volunteer, you do not pay me enough to be your personal assistant."

That year, the hassle of communication decreased by about 95%, because people searched through their inbox to check for and read emails before asking questions. 

I love this! The volunteer organizer of our violin ensemble Christmas concert told parents at the first meeting something similar, "I will keep organizing this event as long as parents read and respond to emails. If you don't, I'm out." It was VERY effective, as there is a ton of work involved in organizing events and she was brilliant at it (as well as being a very busy doctor who travelled for work). 

Clear expectations (and consequences) at the start of the year, no matter what they are, seem to be effective.  

• Like 2

On 11/27/2023 at 9:17 PM, Dmmetler said:

FWIW, the dates for the Spring concert and center ckosings are set through May. We sometimes get additional opportunities due to being part of the city system, with less notice, but those are always optional, and they know as soon as I do.

I'm reluctant to do a set "miss three and you're out" because I absolutely do NOT want people coming when they or anyone in their household are sick (and I will and have dropped people from the program for doing so). I offer makeups for piano, but that's harder for ensembles. 

This makes sense, and if missing rehearsals is ok with you, then that's great. Just be clear what you want, and what will happen if people don't respond.

For these additional opportunities that arise throughout the year, if too few people are committed to the event to respond to emails, then the message from parents is clear - they are not interested enough. Prioritize your time and energy into those events that are the most valuable to you and the majority of your families. These are likely events where you have the most control. 

Text or email. FB and additional apps are awful. Flyers are questionable because kids don't give them to their parents. I have some places that have wanted to use just FB for announcements so I rarely see them now. I just do not use FB anymore really. I am unwilling to download some app for one child's activities. What really helps is a regular email on a specific day of the week. Then I always know to look for that email on that day.