Menu

Tipping? Am I supposed to tip absolutely everyone any more?

Bambam

It seems like tipping is everywhere. 

Everyone has had a busy day, so we decide to do McAlister's curbside, and there is a 15% tip included automatically unless you take it off. Really? They bring you your food in the restaurant, but they don't ask or even suggest tips inside. Distance is probably shorter to deliver to the curbside parking spaces than most of their regular seating area. I would definitely tip if the weather were inclement, but it was lovely today, so going outside was no hardship. 

Pizza Hut seems to want a tip for drive-thru pickup orders. 

Every coffee and drink place has a tip jar prominently displayed. My youngest worked as a barista prior to COVID and often she would double+ her hourly salary with tips. 

All of these places, to my knowledge, pay way more than minimum wage. The only fast food type place that I know of that doesn't pay all their workers minimum wage is Sonic - and some of their restaurants do/some don't. 

What is the new custom about tipping? I'm much more likely to tip at a local restaurant than a chain, but am I out of step? Quite frankly with prices so high already, this is a real turnoff from eating any outside food/drinks. 

• Like 6

I don't know, but our McAlister's Deli has a tip option when you go into the store that implies that you're supposed to tip.  And I always tip them, because they do bring the food to the table and clean up.  It's not exactly a sit down restaurant, but it's kinda halfway between that and fast food.  

But yeah, I think in general we're supposed to tip everyone.  We're asked to tip at the self serve yogurt place, even!  

I tip pretty much everywhere, but I may not tip a lot. The amount depends on how much the people/place did. 

If I grab a coffee at the Dunkin' Drive-thru, I'll give the person who hands me my drink a dollar. They put it in a tip jar and I assume that the person who actually made the drink will get some of it (if it wasn't the same person).  Recently, I stopped with my daughter at a nice coffee shop, where the barista explained a new drink they had on offer (a green tea latte, I think) that my daughter was interested in. She even showed us the tea in the clear canister so we could see the leaves. So she got a nice tip. 

When I pick up a pizza to go, I don't tip because there's no tip jar. I would probably put in a dollar there, though. If I eat at a restaurant I tip well. 

I became more conscious of tipping after the covid lockdowns. Now, the people working in food service are not any more at risk than I am (I assume) but the habit holds. Also... food service workers take so much crap from customers, I figure a tip is a concrete way of saying I appreciate them. I know being kind and not a PITA customer is important too, of course. But, a little tip never hurt. 

• Like 3

I'm not tipping at most of these places. Which means I'm not going to frequent these businesses nearly as much, if at all, because I don't like the stink eye I get for not tipping regular hourly employees.  I'll keep on tipping waitstaff and hair salon staff, but I'm not tipping the Dippin Dots lady at the zoo or the cashier at the drive-in movie entrance. 

Tipping expectations really tookoff during lockdown, but now that things have achieved some level of normal, the expectation is still there. 

Edited by Shoeless
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I wish that jobs would pay a living  wage so tips are not needed. 

We are just starting to plan a wedding, and I am surprised that I need  to budget tips  for just about everybody. Why not just charge me a fair and decent price? 

• Like 14

I tip at the places and circumstances i have always tipped. It seems like everyone has the automatic or suggested tips these days even for things that make zero sense.  The minimum wage here is 15.75 and literally no place actually pays that little.

• Like 4

I think tech has changed tipping culture. I remember when Panera first changed over to the touch screen iPad based “register” that it was the first place I was asked to choose a tip option. I totally rebelled at that; I don’t tip for counter service where someone is just mostly handing me items off a standard menu. 

IF I’m asking for something specialized (like at a coffee shop where I might want a decaf latte with oat milk), I will add a tip. But I know my local teen baristas make $15-20/hr before tip, so while tips are nice they tell me they’re not expected (at that establishment, anyway). 

I think automatic gratuities for carry out (normal orders, not big catering orders) may have started with covid, and during that time I was happy to pay it considering the circumstances. I think that has been a holdover even though most places seem to be mostly back to business as usual. I don’t do curbside but I do place online orders for online pickup at Panera and the smoothie place and I haven’t had any tips automatically added, nor do I add gratuities for that. 

I do tip for personal services like hair styling, and tip generously for more intimate services for things like waxing and pedicures. 

Other services, I mostly expect that to be negotiated into the quoted price. Now if I’m moving to another residence I def tip the moving crew because I’m entrusting all my belongings to them. I’m always happy to throw in a case of cold bottled water and even a lunch if there is truly hard labor happening for day-long projects on my property, so I guess that could be considered gratuity. 

I wouldn’t mind tipping culture if I knew that the recipient didn’t have to rely on it to make a living wage - it would make adding a grateful bonus more of an unexpected gift, if that makes sense. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, DeainUSA said:

My son works at the local ice cream shop.  He is paid federal minimum wage, which is $7 something a hour.  It sucks for him and the customers. Most have no idea he isn't making minimum wage. Works out for the owner though.

I’m confused? Are you saying he makes federal minimum wage but that’s less than the minimum wage in your state? Is he considered a tipped employee? 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

I think tech has changed tipping culture. I remember when Panera first changed over to the touch screen iPad based “register” that it was the first place I was asked to choose a tip option. I totally rebelled at that; I don’t tip for counter service where someone is just mostly handing me items off a standard menu. 

IF I’m asking for something specialized (like at a coffee shop where I might want a decaf latte with oat milk), I will add a tip. But I know my local teen baristas make $15-20/hr before tip, so while tips are nice they tell me they’re not expected (at that establishment, anyway). 

Yes, this absolutely! I think so many businesses now have the touch screen checkout software that enables tips by default.  I tip generously to servers and within reason at counter service places that bring food to your table, but to me a tip for someone handing me a cup that I fill up at a self service soda or coffee station is silly.  Or a tip at a store where I shopped for myself without a clerk helping me, and my only interaction with the staff is someone ringing me up.  I’ve seen that at a couple places recently too!

• Like 3

I'm really cranky about all the extra fees and tips that have popped up in the last few years. 

We took a flight out of state. Fee to check one bag: $35.  If you wanted to check a 2nd bag, the fee went up to $45.  Want a snack on the plane? $10 per snack box.  Want to use wifi or listen to the inflight movie? $10 for wifi, $5 for headphones.  That was one way. 

We got McDonalds in the airport (not my first pick, but time constraints, etc). $25 for 2 people. They also asked if I wanted to add a tip. For McDonalds?! No. 

Bought a gift card for a local restaurant. 3% CC swipe fee and then "Would you like to add a tip?" For what exactly? No, I'm not tipping you for this 3-minute exchange where you didn't even look me in the eye. 

Starbucks. I picked a canned drink and packaged granola bar out of the case and brought it to the register where I swiped my card. "Would you like to add a tip?"  No?  

What the heck?

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

No- but that's what all these places want you to think when installing their new credit card scanners that ask how much you want to tip.  You also need to beware, as some places will automatically add a tip.

• Like 1

I was thinking on this more and remembered there s one person who always gets a high percentage tip from me - the girl who threads my eyebrows. She is a wizard! Charges less than $15, takes less than 5 minutes, never makes a mistake. I’m happy to give her a twenty for her service. 

• Like 1

I tip the hairdresser, dog groomer, and airport shuttle driver. I don't eat out anymore, but if I did I would tip for table service, but generally not for take-out. I do tip moving guys, and I recently tipped the two guys who delivered and installed my new dryer and hauled the old one away, because they had to carry them up and down stairs and maneuver them around tight corners and they were super careful not to mark or bang up the walls, plus they cleaned up after themselves, which I really appreciated.

• Like 5

Tipping stresses me out. I tip servers in sit-down restaurants, the dog groomer (although, mine are groomed by the owner of the establishment and, longtimeago, the owners would opt out of tips when offered.... apparently that is no longer the case?), my hair stylist, shuttle drivers, and the pizza/Chinese food delivery guy. I generally tip 20-25%.

I will ONLY tip at a Starbucks if I place a large group order, but keep meaning to look up to find out if Starbucks employees are paid like restaurant servers or like regular employees.

But tipping for pickup really irks me. Like, who am I tipping? And to tip the same % that I would tip a server if I were to eat INSIDE the restaurant? Just no.

Umm I stopped tipping on the pad for the things I don't think I need to tip for. This change of heart came because the tip thing showed up at a grocery store self checkout. Seriously no one even talked to me (they didn't have to), so who am I tipping??

• Like 3
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

Honestly. All the tipping requests have driven me to tip less, not more. I’m sick of it. I live in a state where everyone makes at least $15.74 hr. I tip if I decide to, and don’t feel bad if I choose not to. Restaurants that we are 100% served table side, absolutely. If I order at a counter and pick ip my own food… nope. If there is less than 3 minutes of service, I don’t tip. Food prices are getting so high, partially to pay the high min wage in my state. I don’t feel a need to pay more. ( I would feel differently in a state that allows lower wages for some workers )

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, lewelma said:

Very cultural. No tipping here. They will take your money, lol, but is is not expected or required. 

There is no special lower minimum wage for tipped employees here (UK).  Most people tip in sit-down restaurants ( around 12.5 to 15%).  There are tip jars in coffee shops but I rarely see anyone put anything into them.  There are tip jars in hairdressers too - I tip the young woman who washes my hair if I get a hair cut but not my stylist, who owns the business.  That's all the tipping I do.

There's a tradition of 'Christmas boxes' for people who provide services.  Last year we bought expensive woollen socks for our postie and left out cash in an envelope for the bin men.  We paid the window cleaner a bonus too.

• Like 1

Tipping at the grocery store? I've not seen that yet. No, I wouldn't tip there. I assume that's a part of the software package and no one bothered, or knew how, to disable that. Or, they are hoping to get a little extra revenue from people who automatically punch in a percentage other than zero.

• Like 1

The worst part about all this automatic tipping is that you don’t really know if the employees ever see those tips. I worked for a small business for a while and the owner chose to use the tip as she saw fit. If they were in store, she sometimes used them to buy her employees lunch. Online tips were never seen by the employees. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

When I paid for my car repairs/oil change at the dealer last week, there was an automatic tip added. At the rates dealerships charge for their services, including the shop supplies fee and hazardous materials fees, is there an expectation to tip? Who is being tipped? The guy at the counter who checked me in (he never got off his stool. Just tapped on his keyboard and took my keys.)? The worker who actually changed the oil and repaired the door (whom I never met)? I took the car to the dealership. I arranged for my DD to pick me up and drop me back off when the car was done. I drove my car away. The dealership did not provide any services other than what was contracted in the service order yet the machine calculated a 25% tip to the bill. I declined the tip but am now wondering if they think I'm a horrible terrible no good very bad customer. 

• Confused 5
  • Sad 3

It is out of control. Set a fair price and charge it!

I tip at sit down restaurants because of the unfair wage practices for waitstaff, practices that I think should be illegal. I tip my hair stylist because she is amazing, and I want to reward her. IF I have a bag employee help me at the car, I tip. But the only time I need this service is when I am grocery shopping with both elderly mothers simultaneously which means I have a ton of stuff to get into the car and keep sorted by household, and my mother in law to assist getting into the car. This is pretty rare. It is a big undertaking so I rarely ever take both at once, and then also shop for self. Usually I just take her for her things and handle it all myself.

Where I wish they had tip jars was at the national park service visitor centers. I would love to give something extra to the rangers. They do such an amazing job, and frankly, the bobbleheads at the top of the park service structure make things hard on them, and they are not treated well. But all that is available is making a donation to the organization that we know is NOT going to benefit the local rangers.

We eat out very very little these days so we aren't spending much in the tip culture. Mark does our oil changes, and our mechanic for the bigger maintenance/repairs that Mark doesn't have time to do, does not have a tip option if we pay by credit card. Most of the time we pay by check anyway.

• Like 6

It's really out of control IMO. I took my son to an amusement park last night. I was prepared for sorta steep food prices. Then the receipt comes out of the printer and they ask me to sign and there's a line for tip. I just left it blank. I don't know if the employees thought I was cheap but like come on. 

• Like 4

I’m someone who limits who they tip.  
I tip generously for the usual things - waitstaff, hair dressers, etc. And I tend to tip for heavy deliveries, furniture assembly, or other things that feel above and beyond is worthy of a nice coffee or good lunch, yk?

I don’t tip for standard services beyond that. Even if my dd works at Dunkin, lol.  
1. It’s just insane.  
2. I have ethical objections to people doubling their wages without claiming the tax burden.  
3. I want to know my tips are going to the people who serviced me, not a group bucket.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kassia said:

DH told me that there is an option to tip at self-checkout!  https://nypost.com/2023/05/15/self-checkout-machines-now-ask-customers-to-tip/

Yes, and my sister says she saw an article about a self serve ticket kiosk in which the customer had absolutely zero contact with a human, and it prompted for a tip!

The greedmeisters really have managed to find a new low.

It makes me just want to do less and less as a consumer. If I can manage to not buy it, not go shopping, not go to resorts and other vacation spots, not eat out, all of it, I do. Vacation in the camping van at a National Forest or State Park, and then kayaking works for us. When we road trip, we pack our own food and grocery shop. The grills at rest areas work. Anything to avoid the shopping, eating out scene. We just have so much less patience for it than we once did. 

• Like 6

There’s a McDonald’s by my dad’s that has kiosks and a sign by the register telling you to use the kiosk. It’s so ridiculous! Not a tipping thing but just a weird thing imo. Especially if the kiosk lets you place an order and then what if the human says we don’t actually have that item in stock. I ended up seeing a Shamrock shake on the kiosk and asked the employee if that was a mistake. But they did have the mix in stock and I did place the order. 

DH (software engineer/developer for a company long associated with cash registers) says that part of it is that companies don't configure their software/hardware. It makes sense for a PIN Pad to ask for a tip if it's one being brought to a customer so they can run their transaction in a sit down restaurant at the table like some places do. It makes a lot less sense when it's, say, Subway. And NO sense when the same software is being used for a gift shop! A lot of the point of sale solutions which used to go through local partners who did the set up and configuration now is purchased online directly and comes preloaded, so unless you go through the process yourself, it's going to be asking for tips at the local garden center, or at a self-checkout kiosk.

My rule of thumb for restaurants is that, if I get my own drink, pick up my food at the counter, and bus my own table, I'm not tipping. If someone does some part of that, I tip. 

Edited by Dmmetler
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Yes, and my sister says she saw an article about a self serve ticket kiosk in which the customer had absolutely zero contact with a human, and it prompted for a tip!

The greedmeisters really have managed to find a new low.

It makes me just want to do less and less as a consumer. If I can manage to not buy it, not go shopping, not go to resorts and other vacation spots, not eat out, all of it, I do. Vacation in the camping van at a National Forest or State Park, and then kayaking works for us. When we road trip, we pack our own food and grocery shop. The grills at rest areas work. Anything to avoid the shopping, eating out scene. We just have so much less patience for it than we once did. 

I have had the same reaction recently.  I'm tired of spending money everywhere I go. 

During my recent flight, the flight crew kept getting on the PA to hawk the airline credit card. By the end of the flight, I'd resolved not to fly that airline anymore because I was fed up. I don't have the patience for a 3 hr sales pitch while being nickel and dimed over add-on fees. 

• Like 1

I am incredibly annoyed by being prompted to tip all the time.  I tip at sit down restaurants. I tip baristas if I have a special order that is more trouble than normal.   I tip hairstylist, usually, but once I tipped generously through the touchpad, and got home to find my DD’s hair was cut crooked. So I tend to be more picky about tipping hairstylists than I used to.

there’s another layer to my annoyance, though. I work for wages + tips, at a restaurant where you order at the counter and then pick up your tray at the end and get your own drink, throw away your own trash. I’m paid well above minimum wage, after a couple of good raises, and even new workers start above minimum wage by several dollars an hour.

Like, tips are fine, but it’sa tip Pool split among everyone, and so usually is only a few dollars a day. Today was super high because we were short handed, so we got $14 each.  I work on days we aren’t open doing prep work , and get no tips then, and I’m fine with the wages without tips.

But we don’t see any of the tips from credit cards, only cash tips.  I feel like it is unethical of the owners, but this job has enough other good points for me (mainly the hours that work perfectly with my kids school schedule) that I’m unwilling to jeopardize it by making a stink about it. 

but Fridays we serve steak and that is actually brought to the table and involves a lot more waiting, and people tip higher, but tend not to pay cash, since the total bill is higher, so we work harder and actually usually make less tips.

So if I’m going to tip, I much prefer doing it in cash, because I  no longer trust that the tips actually go to employees anyway.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

27 minutes ago, Emba said:

I am incredibly annoyed by being prompted to tip all the time.  I tip at sit down restaurants. I tip baristas if I have a special order that is more trouble than normal.   I tip hairstylist, usually, but once I tipped generously through the touchpad, and got home to find my DD’s hair was cut crooked. So I tend to be more picky about tipping hairstylists than I used to.

there’s another layer to my annoyance, though. I work for wages + tips, at a restaurant where you order at the counter and then pick up your tray at the end and get your own drink, throw away your own trash. I’m paid well above minimum wage, after a couple of good raises, and even new workers start above minimum wage by several dollars an hour.

Like, tips are fine, but it’sa tip Pool split among everyone, and so usually is only a few dollars a day. Today was super high because we were short handed, so we got $14 each.  I work on days we aren’t open doing prep work , and get no tips then, and I’m fine with the wages without tips.

But we don’t see any of the tips from credit cards, only cash tips.  I feel like it is unethical of the owners, but this job has enough other good points for me (mainly the hours that work perfectly with my kids school schedule) that I’m unwilling to jeopardize it by making a stink about it. 

but Fridays we serve steak and that is actually brought to the table and involves a lot more waiting, and people tip higher, but tend not to pay cash, since the total bill is higher, so we work harder and actually usually make less tips.

So if I’m going to tip, I much prefer doing it in cash, because I  no longer trust that the tips actually go to employees anyway.

Not giving you credit card tips is wage theft, or possibly fraud if the customers are led to believe gratuities go to the workers, depending on your state laws. Unethical at the very least. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

It makes sense for a PIN Pad to ask for a tip if it's one being brought to a customer so they can run their transaction in a sit down restaurant at the table like some places do.

There are restaurants by me that put in a mandatory (?) 18% gratuity and they still have the additional tip on the PIN pad thing, where the percentage is on the meal + taxes + 18%gratuity. Watch for that too. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Grace Hopper said:

I’m confused? Are you saying he makes federal minimum wage but that’s less than the minimum wage in your state? Is he considered a tipped employee? 

This explains a little...

The federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour. Many states have different minimum wages, and some local governments (especially in large cities) have also gotten in on the act. Workers are entitled to whichever is highest: the federal, state, or local minimum wage.

Not all workers are entitled to the minimum wage. If you are an independent contractor as opposed to an employee, then you are not covered by minimum wage laws.

Also, certain categories of employees—such as farmworkers and certain professional workers—do not fall within the minimum wage laws (more on this below). Finally, there are special rules for workers who earn tips, for young workers, and for student workers.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, easypeasy said:

I will ONLY tip at a Starbucks if I place a large group order, but keep meaning to look up to find out if Starbucks employees are paid like restaurant servers or like regular employees.

Starbucks has always paid more than minimum wage. They just raised their company minimum wage to $15 (in America, idk if they are elsewhere). 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DeainUSA said:

This explains a little...

The federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour. Many states have different minimum wages, and some local governments (especially in large cities) have also gotten in on the act. Workers are entitled to whichever is highest: the federal, state, or local minimum wage.

Not all workers are entitled to the minimum wage. If you are an independent contractor as opposed to an employee, then you are not covered by minimum wage laws.

Also, certain categories of employees—such as farmworkers and certain professional workers—do not fall within the minimum wage laws (more on this below). Finally, there are special rules for workers who earn tips, for young workers, and for student workers.

In addition, some states have a "small business" exemption to their state minimum wage.   I'm not sure what the exact # of employees is in my state, but DS16 worked for a very small local bike shop last summer that has maybe 6 employees total.  He was able to be paid $8/hr...more than federal minimum but at least a couple dollars an hour less than the standard state minimum.   He was happy to have a non-fast-food job last summer as a 15 year old, and they were super flexible and actually had him work a pretty decent number of hours per week.  He's going for something higher paying this summer now that he is 16, but we were thankful that he found something last summer.

Edited by kirstenhill
  • Like 2

I tip at restaurants and hairdressers. Traditional type places. But I never tip at places like Dunkin. Or I go to PICK UP a pizza myself and I’m supposed to tip??? I don’t think so!! I gladly hit NO TIP on those little screens that ask if I want to tip 15% or 20%. No tip! Guilt-free

• Like 3

I once went to a dermatologist office and had a chemical peel. I spent hundreds of dollars. It was the first time I’d done it, and she wasn’t the nurse or MD. When I paid, I was asked how much I’d like to tip. It wasn’t like a facial, so I was a bit taken aback.  I never went back there. Now I see a real MD at a different office. She’s the owner, so I do not tip. When you’re spending $400+ I didn’t know tips were a thing!   * I do tip waitstaff and hairdressers. Sometimes Target/Walmart people who bring me orders to my car. The order pickup people are very nice!

Edited by Ting Tang
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I limit eating out to to-go orders only and I limit those to places that already pay a living wage and pool tips and divide among everyone.

I hate tipping culture. I never know if I am supposed to tip or not. 

• Like 1

Nope, I tip the same as I always did. Just because the machine includes it doesn't mean the situation merits it. 

I had a situation where I might have tipped but didn't because they charged me 0.75 for an extra spoon of pico. It was at a burrito bar restaurant. I can't have any dairy items, and I don't like half of the things I could have put on it. It just irked me that I could have put like 10 other things on there at no charge. I like the place, so if I go again, I might try to negotiate the cost. 

• Like 2

I find it annoying,  too.  I just want all tips to end- everywhere!  Charge what you need, be upfront about the cost.  

I decided that I will tip at sit-down restaurants only, and I push " No Tip" at all other stores.  I do tip my hairdresser,  but again,  I prefer a straight cost!  

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

I once went to a dermatologist office and had a chemical peel. I spent hundreds of dollars. It was the first time I’d done it, and she wasn’t the nurse or MD. When I paid, I was asked how much I’d like to tip. It wasn’t like a facial, so I was a bit taken aback.  I never went back there. Now I see a real MD at a different office. She’s the owner, so I do not tip. When you’re spending $400+ I didn’t know tips were a thing!   * I do tip waitstaff and hairdressers. Sometimes Target/Walmart people who bring me orders to my car. The order pickup people are very nice!

This just confirms the reputation derm practices have, sigh. They are seen as posh and spoiled by most of the rest of the medical community--they ALWAYS have scribes, are draconian about payment the same day even if you don't have a co-pay, etc. I can't even...if the person doing it was not already well reimbursed, that's even more ridiculous because derms get paid very well and can afford to pay their people well.