Menu

Name a completely irrelevant thing that bothers you more than it should.

Excelsior! Academy

Barn doors as bedroom/bathroom contraptions.  Nobody wants that.  It's ridiculous.  The person who came up with the idea should be forced to live in a house where they have to continually try to keep the bathroom door shut as a 2yo delightedly slides it open.

I'm so glad we've stopped moving and will never have to have that in our own home, but I will be ranking friends based on if I want to visit their houses.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Specific things people post on facebook - I won't say what they are because I don't want to offend anyone who does the things that bug me.  I know it's their facebook pages and they can do whatever they want but certain things bother me and they really shouldn't.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Barn doors as bedroom/bathroom contraptions.  Nobody wants that.  It's ridiculous.  The person who came up with the idea should be forced to live in a house where they have to continually try to keep the bathroom door shut as a 2yo delightedly slides it open.

I'm so glad we've stopped moving and will never have to have that in our own home, but I will be ranking friends based on if I want to visit their houses.

This. And I want to start asking hotels if they have these before we make a reservation. 

Everything bothers me right now but that could be the heat. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Stickers and sticker residue. But worse, the leaky, messy bottle of Goo Gone that won’t spray properly that I have to wrangle with to clean said sticker. That gets me in a tizz. WHY do they stick stickers that won’t come off on everything?

My husband can rub his eyes and make them squeak. Besides the fact that I have warned him of the dangers of doing so, it drives me nuts. 

People listening to more than one device at the same time in the same room.

Man Cave and She Shed. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I’ll also agree with the OP and say when something you like is discontinued. You finally find that just right thing, but when you go back to order another one….gone. 

I often find myself hiding my frustration as I schlump from one side of the store to the other because they moved something from hither to thither yet again. Can’t they just leave things alone?

I really am not a grumpy pants. Really, I’m not. 😬

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

I’ll also agree with the OP and say when something you like is discontinued. You finally find that just right thing, but when you go back to order another one….gone.

This is the problem I'm having right now.  Oldest ds: nice, lightweight quick dry scout pants.  Youngest ds: they only sell them in cotton or canvas(WHY???) It's hot.  I'm sending him to camp.  And he's going in bootleg scout pants because the BSA isn't selling the good ones anymore.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

We have this, because it was the only way to add a bedroom and bathroom to the first floor. 

Yeah, they suck.

• Like 1

The lack of blue foods.

Yes, this is completely irrational.

Sometimes, when my anxiety is high, it gets redirected as obsessing about food, and one thing I obsess about is whether my kids are "eating the rainbow".

And yes, I know that that is a metaphorical rainbow, and that nutritionally purple and blue foods are the same anyway and . . . . 

but I have issues.  Maybe y'all have noticed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I've never seen an indoor barn door in person...they don't latch somehow?!?  I'd hate that for anything but a closet!

They don’t latch and they have all that hideous rolling hardware.  All the interior doors at the cabin we stayed at last weekend where barn doors.  Awkward, heavy and will seem impossibly dated in like twenty minutes.  The worst. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Mine is the kitchen door for my first home and it has a lock similar to this so we didn’t need to install a babygate at the kitchen since we could lock the sliding door.

image.jpeg.34d84e57223a478f3ab78f3eef792834.jpeg

(source https://www.amazon.com.au/Invisible-Handle-Sliding-Furniture-Hardware/dp/B01N2YJ4YE)

ETA: mine isn’t on rails but built into the house so that helps. My husband is against rails.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

ETA: mine isn’t on rails but built into the house so that helps. My husband is against rails.

Is it a pocket door?

We have a pocket door for our master bathroom and I'm fine with that.  No gaps, I can shut it entirely and lock it if need be.

• Like 11

50 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I am very seriously considering a barn door for a bedroom in our basement. It currently has double doors on it, and A LOT of floor real estate is "lost" to the swing clearance for the doors, with a second doorway within that leads to a storage room, plus the closet doorway. It limits the room so much.

So, not a bathroom, but I DO want a sliding/barn rail style door.

In that same vein, something that bothers me: pocket doors. Those things should be outlawed. To fix or replace, you have to open the dang wall! I'm forever having to pop them back onto their tracks at my mom's house. Such a PITA. 

• Sad 1

I am hyper sensitive to noises and despise the sound of people sniffing. Or snorting. Ugh, snorting! Gross!

DH has started clearing his throat more often, and that is irritating, too. I hope he doesn't turn into a throat-clearing, sniffing, snorting old man.

I realize that other people don't even notice these things.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, fraidycat said:

In that same vein, something that bothers me: pocket doors. Those things should be outlawed. To fix or replace, you have to open the dang wall! I'm forever having to pop them back onto their tracks at my mom's house. Such a PITA. 

😄 It's funny how we're so opposite!  I consider them the lesser of two evils and will gladly open the wall.  I know how to drywall and mud a wall.  It's a concession I'll make for having a door completely close.

I'd honestly be fine with bifold doors, too.  Anything that sits flush.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

😄 It's funny how we're so opposite!  I consider them the lesser of two evils and will gladly open the wall.  I know how to drywall and mud a wall.  It's a concession I'll make for having a door completely close.

I'd honestly be fine with bifold doors, too.  Anything that sits flush.

Lol. I also know how to drywall and mud. I just wouldn't want to have to do it for a door.

The pocket doors were great when the house (my parents') was new, but 40 years later, the house has shifted and settled and the latches do not line up to the locks anymore, so they use a hook-and-eye latch to lock it anyway. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by fraidycat
  • Sad 1

People in amusement park lines that fail to notice the line has moved. Like, I know I doesn't affect how soon I get on the ride but come on. Pay attention.

Couples who think the amusement park line is their bedroom. 

People who don't utilize the zipper method when merging.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Mine is the kitchen door for my first home and it has a lock similar to this so we didn’t need to install a babygate at the kitchen since we could lock the sliding door.

image.jpeg.34d84e57223a478f3ab78f3eef792834.jpeg

(source https://www.amazon.com.au/Invisible-Handle-Sliding-Furniture-Hardware/dp/B01N2YJ4YE)

Isn’t it a pocket door rather than a barn door if it is built in rather than on rails? We have a pocket door in our new master suite between the bedroom and bathroom that we love, but no way could a young child open it on their own. We also have space for one between our kitchen and mudroom, but haven’t yet found the right sized door to fit.

17 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

I am hyper sensitive to noises and despise the sound of people sniffing. Or snorting. Ugh, snorting! Gross!

DH has started clearing his throat more often, and that is irritating, too. I hope he doesn't turn into a throat-clearing, sniffing, snorting old man.

Might he have allergies? My husband and son both make more of some of the noises you describe when their allergies are acting up. I just politely remind my husband to use his allergy meds and that usually takes care of it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

DH has started clearing his throat more often

This can also be a sign of heartburn or GERD. DH gets it when he eats certain foods. So if inclined, you could do some experimenting.

My irrational annoyance is people refusing to use the invisible "zones" I have in my fridge. Leftovers should always go on the top left or they won't get eaten! Don't put short things in the tall drinks area! This shelf in this door is for condiments, but *that* shelf in that door is for spicy condiments! It's called a cheese drawer for a reason, people!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

58 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

This is the problem I'm having right now.  Oldest ds: nice, lightweight quick dry scout pants.  Youngest ds: they only sell them in cotton or canvas(WHY???) It's hot.  I'm sending him to camp.  And he's going in bootleg scout pants because the BSA isn't selling the good ones anymore.

You can buy the lightweight pants on Scoutshop.org. https://www.scoutshop.org/boy-scout-mens-polyester-microfiber-switchback-relaxed-fit-pants-612141.html

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mom2scouts said:

Yes and no.  Only men sizes, not boys, and only what they have left in that.  It looks like they're being discontinued because Medium and Large is all they've had for months. Ds is a skinny size 14.  I still need boy's fit.  Those ones will fit about the same time that the ones I have leftover from when older ds was 17.

• Sad 2

Dirty dishes left on the counter on top of the dishwasher, instead of inside the dishwasher. Drives me a little bonkers, but I only flip out if I'm super stressed about other things. When I'm "normal" I place the dirty dishes in the dishwasher myself in my very well thought out efficient method. 😅

• Like 1

My new neighborhood has TONS of people who wave. 
I am not a big waver but, when in Rome…

Except not *everyone waves. So I either do the little prepare-to-wave-in-case, or I waste an entire wave on someone who looks away.  

It bothers me deeply for no good reason. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, fraidycat said:

This is so funny to me. I think pocket doors are so cool, and barn doors are dreadful.  Just total opposites!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

There is one for our bathroom door in the house we bought. We don't have a 2yo, but our dog opens it with his nose.🤪 I've learned to close the bedroom door if we have guests.

ETA: It doesn't really bother me having it too much, because a regular door would crowd that part of the bedroom, and our furniture matches the wood of the door, so that looks planned. It does bug me that in cold weather, it creeps open and I can't reach it from the toilet to close it.

Edited by Jaybee
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GoVanGogh said:

This. And I want to start asking hotels if they have these before we make a reservation. 

Everything bothers me right now but that could be the heat. 

I nearly got trapped in a hotel bathroom because I tried to slide the door the wrong way and it popped off the track. Nightmare. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Storygirl said:

I am super sensitive to noises (and food smells). DH makes a lot of sniffle sounds. And clears his throat a lot, it annoys me so much. And he is currently eating Taco Bell and the smell of it makes me so sick. 

Edited by GoVanGogh
  • Like 2

My neighbors across the street have “no trespassing” signs all over their yard. It’s a neighborhood of houses close together not sprawling properties. I wasn’t planning to trespass on their property but those dang signs sure get under my skin.  

It’s just very out of character for my neighborhood. Not because I planned to go have a picnic on her yard but because if her package got misdelivered to her house I would walk it over and put it on her porch. One time before she put those signs up I heard a loud gushing noise and looked outside and her hose had busted a hole and water was spraying out of it. They weren’t home and I walked over and turned the water off for her. But I guess I was trespassing. 

It just seems so aggressive for no reason. It’s not as if a “no trespassing” sign is going to deter a criminal, right? I hate those signs. One neighbor asked her what was up and she said someone was stealing her plants. That explanation bugged the snot out of me. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

Stickers and sticker residue. But worse, the leaky, messy bottle of Goo Gone that won’t spray properly that I have to wrangle with to clean said sticker. That gets me in a tizz. WHY do they stick stickers that won’t come off on everything?

My husband can rub his eyes and make them squeak. Besides the fact that I have warned him of the dangers of doing so, it drives me nuts. 

People listening to more than one device at the same time in the same room.

Man Cave and She Shed. 

Hand sanitizer easily removes sticky residue. Rubbing alcohol does also.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Ebay! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Dirty dishes left on the counter on top of the dishwasher, instead of inside the dishwasher. Drives me a little bonkers, but I only flip out if I'm super stressed about other things. When I'm "normal" I place the dirty dishes in the dishwasher myself in my very well thought out efficient method. 😅

This, exactly.

• Like 1

*slinking away in my new house that contains both barn and pocket doors (and more than one of each)* 

As for my pet peeves:

People who leave “to be” out of phrases, like “that car needs washed” or “the baby needs changed”.  No. The car needs to be washed. 

People who flake on plans last minute

Dishes stacked by the sink instead of loaded into the dishwasher. It only takes one person and everyone else assumes the dishwasher is clean (but do they check and/or unload it? Of course not!) and continues to stack. 

Dust. Dust everywhere. My aforementioned new house is in a neighborhood that is basically one giant construction zone and I live in a very windy place. 

Phone trees and on-hold music. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

*slinking away in my new house that contains both barn and pocket doors (and more than one of each)* 

As for my pet peeves:

People who leave “to be” out of phrases, like “that car needs washed” or “the baby needs changed”.  No. The car needs to be washed. 

This is a total midwest thing. Not everyone from the midwest does it but everyone who does it is from the midwest.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Is it a pocket door?

We have a pocket door for our master bathroom and I'm fine with that.  No gaps, I can shut it entirely and lock it if need be.

3 hours ago, Frances said:

Isn’t it a pocket door rather than a barn door if it is built in rather than on rails? We have a pocket door in our new master suite between the bedroom and bathroom that we love, but no way could a young child open it on their own.

I googled pocket door and it isn’t one. It is built like a single panel patio door just wooden instead of glass. The frame is on the kitchen wall. When the door is pushed all the way to one side, it looks like the kitchen has a door frame but no door.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sassenach said:
2 hours ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

Expand  

This is a total midwest thing. Not everyone from the midwest does it but everyone who does it is from the midwest.

Pretty sure this is ultimately a German thing.  (I have family in Wisconsin that still say “Come here once!” an almost direct translation of “Kommt mal her!”)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I googled pocket door and it isn’t one. It is built like a single panel patio door just wooden instead of glass. The frame is on the kitchen wall. When the door is pushed all the way to one side, it looks like the kitchen has a door frame but no door.

Where does the door go when it is pushed to the side? 

28 minutes ago, fraidycat said:

Where does the door go when it is pushed to the side? 

Closest picture I could find to the setup I have1E092E9F-8EF4-4447-8185-8883B6E7EADF.thumb.jpeg.d587690e6282fe1ec47de1f2bea19cf6.jpeg. This would be the view from the kitchen

ETA: the bathroom in the picture would be where my living room is.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Opening/closing appliance doors more than necessary.

If I'm cleaning up after a meal I get all the dirty dishes in the sink and then open the dishwasher, load it, and then close it. I put all the food that needs to be refrigerated on the counter beside the fridge, open the door, put them all in and then close the door. Even when I don't do literally everything at one time I at least group things. When I'm making a salad or a sandwich I get everything out of the fridge, make the salad or sandwich and then put everything back in the fridge that needs to be in there.

Some people in my family who will not be named specifically are not this efficient. They open close open close open close open close . . . you get the idea. I can't say their method is actually wrong, but it strikes me as hugely inefficient, and it irritates me.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Closest picture I could find to the setup I have1E092E9F-8EF4-4447-8185-8883B6E7EADF.thumb.jpeg.d587690e6282fe1ec47de1f2bea19cf6.jpeg. This would be the view from the kitchen

ETA: the bathroom in the picture would be where my living room is.

Wow that is much nicer than what we have in our bathroom.  It’s more like a sliding door to the outside than our barn doors.  Maybe I will show that to DH and see if that’s doable.

• Like 1

People who will not move their cars over one inch when passing someone walking on our country road.  No sidewalks and very little traffic so most will swing out into the other lane to give me room on my morning walks but almost every morning there are the two same cars, driving at a higher speed than everyone else who do not move over at all so I end up needing to step into the ditch.  It's just so unnecessary!

• Like 2